http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 09:29:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 the consol that wasn't a console  (Read 1431 times)
T-Dub
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2005, 02:18:26 PM »

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/xbox/e3-xbox-360-live-demos-running-on-powermac-g5-104295.php
With the Xbox 360  being only a few months away how can they not have a fully operational unit present?  Also, the games that I viewed at Microsoft all had framerate problems and were in no way finished.  The PS3 has been criticized for it's pre-rendered graphics presentations, however it is still a year away.  Nintendo has been tossed out the window because they only revealed a box (a nice looking box, to be sure)- yet they repeatedly stated that this E3 was not going to be the revelation of the Revolution- they still have a year to go before release (or more?).  

How many of you have been caught up in Microsoft's net of hype and promises?  How many of you will be sorely dissapointed...
zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 02:34:59 PM »

to me this e3 seemed like "look but don't touch". the games i got most excited about are coming to consoles available now.

if people don't know whether you are showing them movies or in-game graphics - your just not showing enough.

microsoft wants to command my digital lifestyle. i just want to play fun games.
T-Dub
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 02:45:39 PM »

Microsoft is trying to sell, sell, sell.  There is nothing wrong with that if there is an actual product to present.  At E3 you couldn't go up and play an Xbox 360.  Not only that, you were playing on a Hybrid system using Apple components and it was still displaying framerate problems.  This is only months out from release.  They have thrown numbers at people and confused analysts with projections and marketing strategies.  What I have seen are alot of pretty pictures and promises, and very little substance.  By the looks (and sound) of the fan cooling the phoney systems at e3, we will have to sit the 360 on top of an air conditioning condenser.
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 02:53:46 PM »

I agree. Not too hyped about them just yet.  Still lots of life left in this gen in my opinion.  As for the whole thing of making the console your total entertainment, online community lifestyle thing, I don't give a shit.  I just want to play games with the darn things.  I think MS is just trying to make the systems more palatable for the non-hardcore gamers out there.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 02:57:59 PM »

Nothing matters until I can go buy one.

MS, Sony, Nintendo. Hype, hype, hype...we'll see

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
T-Dub
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 03:07:09 PM »

I think Nintendo is being the most realistic of all three of them.  Phoney machines, pre-rendered video, and a nice box (that is subject to change).  I am just completely amazed that the Xbox is only a few months away and there is NOONE being critical of Microsoft for not producing anything other than hype.  Look around here, and other "gaming" websites.  We are all, to varying degrees, hardcore gamers.  Why don't these intelligent, independent thinkers take off the blinders?  Console Gold had representatives at e3, why are they allowing themselves to be strung along by Microsoft?  Why are there no questions being asked?  Are "we" that desperate for pretty pictures and inside information?  I smell shit and I think we've all stepped in it.
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 03:09:57 PM »

Quote from: "T-Dub"
Microsoft is trying to sell, sell, sell.  There is nothing wrong with that if there is an actual product to present.  At E3 you couldn't go up and play an Xbox 360.  Not only that, you were playing on a Hybrid system using Apple components and it was still displaying framerate problems.  This is only months out from release.  They have thrown numbers at people and confused analysts with projections and marketing strategies.  What I have seen are alot of pretty pictures and promises, and very little substance.  By the looks (and sound) of the fan cooling the phoney systems at e3, we will have to sit the 360 on top of an air conditioning condenser.

All the developers have been working with alpha-1(maybe alpha-2 by now?) dev kits on G5's(they use PowerPC also), and with a 9800 GPU. That's nowhere close to the CPU and GPU power the 360 will have.

They have to start somewhere.
markymarklar
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 11:34:04 PM »

By the looks (and sound) of the fan cooling the phoney systems at e3, we will have to sit the 360 on top of an air conditioning condenser.

in case you hadn't heard, the 360 will be water-cooled.  this is the big reason they were able to get it so small.  

With the Xbox 360 being only a few months away how can they not have a fully operational unit present?

look at your math again.  few= 3.  MS has said it will be released this "holiday season".  not sure if they said officially or not, but most are saying november-ish.  assuming this means nov. 1st, that gives MS about 5 months.  i'm guessing it will be closer to mid to late november which would give them closer to 6months.

the games that I viewed at Microsoft all had framerate problems and were in no way finished

so you expect games running on alpha kits, which are about 1/4 the power of the 360, to be running smoothly?  if that were the case then these games wouldn't be taking advantage of the hardware and would basically just be games that could be put on the xbox.  and last time i checked, most of the games that E3 displays AREN'T finished!  they have pleanty of time.  i am confident that MS will get close to their predicted launch date.  may not be on the dot but it will definately be before the year ends.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 12:03:40 AM »

w00t!  few is the new 5-6!

oh, and T-Dub, here's a breath mint  :twisted:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 01:27:51 AM »

What you pointed out is an alpha kit.  It's been known for a while that e3 demos would be running on alphas.  

That's the way it goes with new hardware.  Not very shocking.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 03:26:46 AM »

If and when the X-Box 360 is either steeply delayed or released and shown to be profoundly flawed, I could see myself coming back here and praising T-Dub's foresight.

As it is, Microsoft delivered a excellent gaming console into a market nobody really thought they could successfully penetrate, secured some fantastic exclusive franchises like Halo, KOTOR, and Ninja Gaiden to bolster their library, and successfully implemented a unified online console gaming service that has proven to be years ahead of the competition.  Microsoft's track record in the console market is pretty solid so far, and it's going to take more than just conjecture to convince me that they're off to a bad start with the X-Box 360.

-Autistic Angel
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 04:54:14 AM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
If and when the X-Box 360 is either steeply delayed or released and shown to be profoundly flawed, I could see myself coming back here and praising T-Dub's foresight.

As it is, Microsoft delivered a excellent gaming console into a market nobody really thought they could successfully penetrate, secured some fantastic exclusive franchises like Halo, KOTOR, and Ninja Gaiden to bolster their library, and successfully implemented a unified online console gaming service that has proven to be years ahead of the competition.  Microsoft's track record in the console market is pretty solid so far, and it's going to take more than just conjecture to convince me that they're off to a bad start with the X-Box 360.

-Autistic Angel

I completley agree! MS has very much so impressed me with consoles so far. I thnk they will continue to do with and am not at all worried about the launch. They will be ready. MS knows the stakes are high. They are going to be ready.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 06:27:54 AM »

Quote from: "T-Dub"
I think Nintendo is being the most realistic of all three of them.  Phoney machines, pre-rendered video, and a nice box (that is subject to change).  I am just completely amazed that the Xbox is only a few months away and there is NOONE being critical of Microsoft for not producing anything other than hype.

Umm is this your first E3?
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 10:15:36 AM »

this thread is hilarious.

E3 is for two things.

1. generate hype
2. generate sales

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up