http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 11:56:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360: So ya want backwards compatability? It'll cost you  (Read 3132 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2005, 03:28:04 AM »

Today, both Kotaku and GameIndustry.biz mentioned that two price points is a definite for the next-gen Xbox. The difference being that the more pricier model comes with a hard drive, WebTV functionality, and backwards compatibility. According to Kotaku, "nVidia still owns patents on some of the original guts of the Xbox, so Msoft would have to pay royalties to the graphics company to use backwards compatibility. By moving this functionality to a $100 add-on, Msoft only has to pay royalties on that smaller amount of cash, instead of the full price of a new unit.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 03:29:40 AM »

Oh, while on the same site I found this interesting tidbit on how the PSP is actually underclocked..  Apparently games like GT4 PSP will run at full bus speed in order to sacrifice battery life for graphic quality.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 03:41:13 AM »

If this is true (and I'm definitely taking an "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude here), for me it is a moot point anyway.  I will not own a next generation xbox unless it has a hard-drive anyway.  That was one of the selling points of my current xbox.  that and online play.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 04:08:10 AM »

Quote from: "th'FOOL"
If this is true (and I'm definitely taking an "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude here), for me it is a moot point anyway.  I will not own a next generation xbox unless it has a hard-drive anyway.  That was one of the selling points of my current xbox.  that and online play.

ahh no big loss if we lose you as an xbox gamer - you sucked at Halo 2 anyways.

slywink

Want a re-match??
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 05:04:32 AM »

lol, that hurts.

Yeah, the hard disk + PVR functionality is enough to sell me on a higher end model, and even though it's not as important to me I will still gladly take backwards compatibility as a bonus.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 06:44:51 AM »

That will be a tough decision that will likely be driven by my family's financial situation this Christmas.  My wife is already aware that the Xbox 2 will likely be my top Christmas gift and at $300 I think we can swing it.  At $400 it will be a much tougher sell, especially with a baby on the way right before that.  

I love backwards compatibility but I don't know if I love it for $100.  I don't need PVR- I already have 2 Tivos.
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 11:32:44 AM »

I just want a videogame system that plays videogames.

Sort of like a cell phone, I just want to make a call, not control the world. I've got other stuff that can do the rest.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 11:37:48 AM »

I don't have an XBox but there are several XBox games I'd like to play.  I don't have a PVR.  I think I'm going to have to save my pennies for this.

But in the original post it said WebTV not PVR.  Are they the same thing?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 11:38:13 AM »

If Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion or Madden 2006 is a launch title for the XBOX 360, it will be a day one purchase for me and I'll get the higher priced model with hard drive.

If not, then I can wait until next year, unless some of the launch games at E3 really wow me.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 11:42:05 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
If Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion or Madden 2006 is a launch title for the XBOX 360, it will be a day one purchase for me and I'll get the higher priced model with hard drive.

I think chances are pretty high (like 99.9% high) that Madden 2006 will be a launch title along with many EA games for the new Xbox.  Oblivion...who knows.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 12:21:09 PM »

IN!

Either way.

How is the PVR going to work, or will it even work with Direct TV?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 12:33:26 PM »

I don't really care if it's backward compatible or not.  I plan on keeping my modded Xbox hooked up anyway.  It is entirely to valuable to put in a closet.   My wife and her friends enjoy playing the atari/nes/snes/genesis/mame/gameboy/colecovision games on it and would be upset if I put it away.

Can't wait for Xbox 2 though, and getting back on Live!  I won't be modding the next one, so I won't lose my Live privledge this time... smile
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 01:07:50 PM »

Didnt' read the article, but can you pick and choose?

For example: If I want the X2 with only the HD and not the PVR can I buy the components to build it?

PS. Putting all these features on one unit is a bad idea.  It's gonna break ALL the time...
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 02:18:11 PM »

I will wait until the cheaper version can be hacked so a hard drive can be installed.
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 02:21:48 PM »

My wife and her friends enjoy playing the atari/nes/snes/genesis/mame/gameboy/colecovision games on it and would be upset if I put it away.

How do you put MAME on your XBOX?  My wife and I could have a blast with this.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2005, 03:32:44 PM »

Quote from: "Zimix"
My wife and her friends enjoy playing the atari/nes/snes/genesis/mame/gameboy/colecovision games on it and would be upset if I put it away.

How do you put MAME on your XBOX?  My wife and I could have a blast with this.

xboxscene.net has all of the info you need...

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2005, 04:22:27 PM »

Did they add PVR functionality to WebTV? My mother had it for a while and it was just web access displayed on TV.
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2005, 07:35:08 PM »

WebTV is Microsoft's disastrous foray into Internet-lite browsing through your television. UltimateTV was Microsoft's disastrous foray into digital video recording.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2005, 08:39:55 PM »

Quote from: "adamsappel"
WebTV is Microsoft's disastrous foray into Internet-lite browsing through your television. UltimateTV was Microsoft's disastrous foray into digital video recording.

I've heard good things about UltimateTV from some of the people who used it.  Nobody's ever said anything good about WebTV.
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2005, 10:56:23 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"
Quote from: "adamsappel"

I've heard good things about UltimateTV from some of the people who used it.  Nobody's ever said anything good about WebTV.

UlimateTV was awesome. I was quite sad when our unit died and I was stuck with TIVO. Much easier to handle, much faster channel browsing, just a much more efficient system than TIVO.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2005, 04:51:59 AM »

I just want a videogame system that plays videogames.

Sort of like a cell phone, I just want to make a call, not control the world. I've got other stuff that can do the rest.

There are far too many people who think the "all-in-one" is better, including me.
I don't have a dvd player and really enjoy being able to play dvds on my ps2.

My cell phone is an n-gage and being on the road so much, I admit it's really great having a system that you can use as a phone, go on the internet, play games online, and among other things, use as an alarm clock, video player, calculator, etc.
I have to admit I use my mobile internet/email and the alarm clock at the hotel rooms I stay at all the time.

Sure you can get other things to do these things but why have all the clutter? Why bring an alarm clock, a calculator, a gameboy/psp (which you can't play online on the road anyway) and say my laptop for online access.. when the N-gage can do it all in ONE little piece? Saves a lot of money not to mention space.

I'm not going to have an xbox for the original xbox games, xbox 2 for the newer games, a dvd player, all hooked up to my tv at once. I just want ONE system that can do it all.

Backwards compatiblity was one of the main reasons why I sold my xbox and got a ps2 (since sony confirmed backwards compatiblity long ago) so whenever I pay $40 or $50 for a game, I know I can still play it come next generation.
I plan on selling my ps2 (for whatever it's worth) as soon as the p3 comes out and put that $ towards it.

On the subject of backwards compatiblity, I think it sucks we have to pay $100 extra for it but with the extra features it might be worth it. Since I dont have an xbox anymore I guess it doesn't really matter much though.
I just hope microsoft doesn't make the same mistake again and took precautions this time around for the next generation of xbox after xbox 360. Classics like halo are games worth holding on to next generation and it's always a plus if you can still play that old game on the new system.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2005, 06:21:19 AM »

Ugh, imagine the fuckaroo this would cause - game developers will shy away from making games for the harddrive, because of the limited market, and those people who got a HD would complain that they wasted the money.

Sega 32X anyone?

And I think it's not modular - some XBox games require the harddrive, so I would assume the backwards compatibility components goes with the HD. And I don't want to pay for a stupid PVR/WebTV/whatever it is, I have no need for them. I don't watch TV. And that leaves me the base model, and I won't buy it either, unless Microsoft miraculously pulls a rabbit out of their hat and beats out Sony with must-have games (bloody unlikely).
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2005, 07:17:22 AM »

Quote from: "Raven VII"
Ugh, imagine the fuckaroo this would cause - game developers will shy away from making games for the harddrive, because of the limited market, and those people who got a HD would complain that they wasted the money.

I think the idea is that the harddrive won't be supported in any Xbox 2 applications as far as game performance goes.  It would be there for backwards compatibility, music and live downloads, and any other downloadable content in Xbox 2's future.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2005, 02:56:36 PM »

Thats the way it was with the xbox 1 right?  The HD wasn't used at all for game performance if i remember right, only music, dl content, and savegames.  Frankly, i believe the hard drive will definitely be modular assuming those pics that have been posted are real and it has memory unit slots.  You'll basically want to pick, memory unit or hard drive addon?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2005, 02:57:52 PM »

Thats the way it was with the xbox 1 right? The HD wasn't used at all for game performance if i remember right, only music, dl content, and savegames.

Depends on the title.  For instance, if you let Pirates of the Carribean run for ~ 30 minutes the performance was better as it streamed the disc to the HDD as you played.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2005, 03:04:26 PM »

Remember when the Xbox was first being hyped they mentioned a game were you could drive Germany. Not drive in Germany, but drive ALL of Germany. All thanks to the hard drive

Never came out, did it?

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2005, 03:29:50 PM »

Actually, if I remember correctly the Xbox stores in the hard drive a cache (I'm sure not very big) of the last 3 games you played on your Xbox.  This allows things to load quicker for those games.  Once a new game is put in that takes up the newest of the 3 spots.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2005, 04:47:13 PM »

Quote from: "Fuzzballx"
Thats the way it was with the xbox 1 right?  The HD wasn't used at all for game performance if i remember right, only music, dl content, and savegames.  Frankly, i believe the hard drive will definitely be modular assuming those pics that have been posted are real and it has memory unit slots.  You'll basically want to pick, memory unit or hard drive addon?

Many Xbox games use the hard-drive as a cache.  

Memory Cards aren't new either- the Xbox uses them too but they plug into the controller, not the console itself.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2005, 05:47:37 PM »

My thompson drive xbox is on the verge of dying after 2 years.  I've been hoping that the drive will make it to December, but based on how Jade Empire played, I'm guessing it's days are numbered.  With that said, I need backwards compatability, since my original xbox will be dead by then.  I'm willing to pay extra, although I think they're crazy not to include backwards compatability with the main baseline unit.

I loved having my xbox serve as my dvd player, which helped motivate my wife to jump on board with purchasing it at launch.  If the PVR comments are true, I'll use that to get her on board again smile
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2005, 05:57:33 PM »

I play alot of sports game on my xbox so I am interested in how the saved games will do on the new system.  Will it be like PS1&2 where one season of Madden will pretty much take up a whole $20 memory card.  Thats why i loved my HD  soo much.  I usually have 2 franchises going in Madden and a couple Dynastys in NCAA at ALL times.  Throw in some MVP baseball, the new winning eleven game, and various other titles and I would be looking at $100 in memory cards right there.  If they have made improvements in that regard I can live without it.

morlac00 on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2005, 06:39:31 PM »

Quote from: "morlac"
I play alot of sports game on my xbox so I am interested in how the saved games will do on the new system.  Will it be like PS1&2 where one season of Madden will pretty much take up a whole $20 memory card.  Thats why i loved my HD  soo much.  I usually have 2 franchises going in Madden and a couple Dynastys in NCAA at ALL times.  Throw in some MVP baseball, the new winning eleven game, and various other titles and I would be looking at $100 in memory cards right there.  If they have made improvements in that regard I can live without it.

There is a picture from Our Colony net floating around that looks like it shows a 64 MB memory card so unless the data demands for Madden go way up it shouldn't take up the whole card.

And its possible that the Xbox 2 may have some internal memory.  There are rumors of a scratch drive internally and its possible MS may open up some of that space for memory saves.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2005, 06:40:38 PM »

The picture is in that Deathticles! sticky in this forum.  It's the ourcolony.net group for CG.  I've been answering puzzles lately, but only with help from other forums.

ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2005, 07:01:05 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"

I loved having my xbox serve as my dvd player, which helped motivate my wife to jump on board with purchasing it at launch.  If the PVR comments are true, I'll use that to get her on board again smile

Ditto.  I've already broached the subject with her in fact and she seemed receptive to the idea.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2005, 09:55:42 PM »

I'm so in for the more expensive version.  $100 more?  no prob!  Give me my HD or give me someone else's death!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: