http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 01:53:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBox 360 scratched disc solution  (Read 661 times)
JLu
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2005, 08:01:35 PM »

A release I read today about a device that will fix any XBox 360 discs (well or any others) you may have that have been scratched.

No idea how well it works, but thought folks might at least be interested...

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20051212005621&newsLang=en

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 08:06:57 PM »

The Game Doctor has been around for a while now.  From what I've seen, sometimes it'll work, and sometimes it'll make it worse if you don't handle it properly.  When I worked at a gamestore we'd use a store copy to fix any used games we get in.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 08:56:14 PM »

Ah I had no clue this had been around a while; just saw it as a press release when doing a news search on the 360...

Good to know it's reliabilty is iffy.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 08:57:29 PM »

I threw those 'skin' things on my discs just in case...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 08:57:59 PM »

*cough* http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=4513 *cough*

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 09:21:45 PM »

If you follow the instructions, they work great - as long as the "painted" side has no marks on it.  The buffing part is very important, so don't forget that.  I can't do that part because it's manual and it needs a fair amount of pressure and time, so I use one of the "fluffy" models of disc cleaner, lol - like the Maxell.  I run the Doctored disc thru the Maxell a few times with a light polish solution to avoid the heavy buffing required.  

And the company itself is fantastic - I had some problems with finding the special belts to clean Dreamcast discs with and they sent me two of them - and offered to repair any disc that wasn't working after I'd used the "regular" belt.  The customer service is fabulous.

They do leave "burnished" marks on the discs, just so you know... it doesn't come out looking like a brand new disc, but they don't look scratched unless the scratches were deep.  Sometimes that's good enough, sometimes you have to do it more than once, but I've never had one fail, once I got the Dreamcast situation straightened out (they need a less abrasive belt). Of course you can get fully automatic ones that make the discs look perfectly new... but they're like 1200 bucks or more.

Just don't get the non-motorized one unless you don't mind tedious cranking - one full crank rotates the disc about 1/4" - and you need it to do a full 360 degrees.   :wink:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 09:42:48 PM »

Here is an even better idea, disc scratch prevention: http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/Refurbishing-the-HL-Xbox-360-DVD-Drive.htm

Of course it looks like you have to void your warrenty to do this  :x

LiveTAG: happydog
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 09:49:02 PM »

Here's one:

Don't pick the stupid thing up and move it intentionally while its running like the Llama guys did...

Edit:
Think about it, what do those guys provide? Parts. When you get panicky and start messing with the system and it does screw up where are you most likely going to go to get the parts? Other than the warranty issues, I'm sure most of us have opened the original Xbox for some reason or another. We will do the same to this eventually. It sounds like they are just looking for ways to get people to spend money on thier site. They are looking hard apparently for the little rubber pads...

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 10:06:23 PM »

I got a good laugh out of that Llama video.  

OMG, teh XBox360 is defectIv3!  If you slap a CD in there, move the unit from vertical to horizontal to verticle and eject the disc.... it's scratched!!!

$tupid M$!!!!!!

duh.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: