http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 12:55:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 rpgs  (Read 4080 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2007, 09:57:26 PM »

From what I've read I wouldn't expect something like Chrono Trigger from Blue Dragon.  There are some obvious influences in terms of world design but the battle system is much more conventional and it's lighter on story too.  The most commonly cited equivalents are that Blue Dragon is Mistwalker's Dragon Quest game and Lost Odyssey is their Final Fantasy game. 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2007, 10:04:40 PM »

what kevingrey said, Blue Dragon seems nothing like Chrono Trigger
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2007, 02:32:13 AM »

Everything I've seen/read about Blue Dragon plus the positive comparisons to Dragon Quest are all it's taken to sell me on the game. The positive impressions from the import after the Japan launch earlier this year sealed the deal for me. I'm just waiting for it to release at this point. icon_wink

As for Lost Odyssey, if it's like the "Silver Age" Final Fantasy titles when Sakaguchi was in charge (FF4-7) then I suspect I'll love that too. Eternal Sonata is on my "try" list.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2007, 02:26:21 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on June 10, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

it's basically the Chrono Trigger team. 
Yeah, good point. It's a pretty well known game and a respectable one among core gamers. I'll check it out, definitely a rent. I'm not a huge RPG guy, but if it's done well with some cool subject matter, I'll definitely get into it. Much like I mentioned KOTOR earlier. That was a subject that I liked (star wars) and it had a well develped story and such.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2007, 02:55:01 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on June 11, 2007, 02:32:13 AM

Everything I've seen/read about Blue Dragon plus the positive comparisons to Dragon Quest are all it's taken to sell me on the game. The positive impressions from the import after the Japan launch earlier this year sealed the deal for me. I'm just waiting for it to release at this point. icon_wink

As for Lost Odyssey, if it's like the "Silver Age" Final Fantasy titles when Sakaguchi was in charge (FF4-7) then I suspect I'll love that too. Eternal Sonata is on my "try" list.
I have watched probably 30 minutes of in-game footage of BD so far-in glorious 720p capture. Other than the slightly mroe primitive combat system (no where NEAR the godawful mediocrity of DQ8s combat), this game does not seem near as basic and punishing as DQ8-much more linear quest progression and world movement, yet open enough to be fun (oh noes, no wandering around for hours getting lost), save anywhere system (because really, who the hell thinks only saving in a church is fun?), and on screen opponents for you to pick and choose from. So, I am sure it will be similar in feel to DQ since its a more back to basics anime-inspired RPG, but I don't think its going to be that substantially similar based on the gameplay vids.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2007, 03:26:11 PM »

hmmm... sounds like BD is going to be a rental so I can decide whether it's worth my money or not, as will ES.  Mass Effect is already pre-ordered.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2007, 03:56:51 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 11, 2007, 03:26:11 PM

hmmm... sounds like BD is going to be a rental so I can decide whether it's worth my money or not, as will ES.  Mass Effect is already pre-ordered.

BD and ES will OWN you. I am predicting sheer awesomeneess from both. How could you try the ES demo and not love it? God i love that demo-so beautiful.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2007, 04:28:04 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 11, 2007, 02:55:01 PM

Quote from: Farscry on June 11, 2007, 02:32:13 AM

I have watched probably 30 minutes of in-game footage of BD so far-in glorious 720p capture. Other than the slightly mroe primitive combat system (no where NEAR the godawful mediocrity of DQ8s combat), this game does not seem near as basic and punishing as DQ8-much more linear quest progression and world movement, yet open enough to be fun (oh noes, no wandering around for hours getting lost), save anywhere system (because really, who the hell thinks only saving in a church is fun?), and on screen opponents for you to pick and choose from. So, I am sure it will be similar in feel to DQ since its a more back to basics anime-inspired RPG, but I don't think its going to be that substantially similar based on the gameplay vids.

I didn't think DQ8 was punishing, but it was basic, and I loved it for it. icon_wink However, I also like the elements you're describing here, and it sounds like a nice blend of old-fashioned and refined/convenient gameplay elements (save anywhere being the biggest benefit).

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2007, 04:43:51 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 11, 2007, 03:56:51 PM

BD and ES will OWN you. I am predicting sheer awesomeneess from both. How could you try the ES demo and not love it? God i love that demo-so beautiful.

I don't know about CeeKay, but I avoid rpg demos. They rarely give me a genuine feel for the final product, be it good or bad. icon_wink What I love is that all the upcoming 360 rpg's read and look to be fantastic; so far the upcoming ones don't have any indications that they'll be mediocre.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2007, 04:46:34 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on June 11, 2007, 04:43:51 PM

I don't know about CeeKay, but I avoid rpg demos. They rarely give me a genuine feel for the final product, be it good or bad. icon_wink What I love is that all the upcoming 360 rpg's read and look to be fantastic; so far the upcoming ones don't have any indications that they'll be mediocre.

+1 about the demo, especially for JRPG's.  They're usually too short to give an accurate representation of a 40+ hour game.  I haven't even taken time to set up a Japanese live account to grab the ES demo.  I figure if they want my money then they can take the time to put it up on the US side.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2007, 05:36:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 11, 2007, 04:46:34 PM

Quote from: Farscry on June 11, 2007, 04:43:51 PM

Oh the US demo is coming for sure CK-its finished-it IS the demo on the japanese store-which is why I earlier express tremendous frustration with the game being delayed until mid september and most likely getting completely swallowed by BD, ME, and the other huge non-rpg games. The reason for the japanese demo was simple-it either just was released there or is being released there this week. I imagine we will see the official demo in early August sometime. I also hope the publisher (can't remember who it is), will get smart and move the release date up to july or early august since the game appears to be done- I desperately want this game to do well.

As for this demo-it gives you the feel of the combat system, shows off the absolutley freaking phenomenal graphics (are they cell-shaded? I am not sure how to describe them. They look like an intricate comic book come to life), the beautiful music, and a bit of the linear world exploration (and definitely be aware, its world explore like a FF game, not DQ8s level of openness). Anyways, i know I am jumping the gun on a game I might not love in its full version-but there is something about that demo that just grabbed me, and I just know its going to be good smile

+1 about the demo, especially for JRPG's.  They're usually too short to give an accurate representation of a 40+ hour game.  I haven't even taken time to set up a Japanese live account to grab the ES demo.  I figure if they want my money then they can take the time to put it up on the US side.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2007, 06:29:56 AM »

OK, after this Blue Dragon video on Gametrailers I'm going to say OUT.  Too old skool for me.

Because I can,
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2007, 05:44:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 18, 2007, 06:29:56 AM

OK, after this Blue Dragon video on Gametrailers I'm going to say OUT.  Too old skool for me.

Skeptical, but it's still at least worth a rental.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2007, 05:56:21 PM »

Eh, still looks awesome to me. Its much less old school looking than Dragon Quest 8, thats for sure.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2007, 06:03:36 PM »

I still love the old-school "enemy on one side, heroes on the other" combat, so that part makes me excited.  I get less excited, however, about the incredibly dull and lifeless environment they were running around in.

Still a day-one purchase for me.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2007, 06:10:23 PM »

SWEET. As long as the text speed can be increased (I hate slow text speed; makes replays of Xenogears quite a chore at times...) I'm still totally stoked for this game. icon_biggrin

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2007, 08:30:03 PM »

It seems to me they could have had alot more sales of this game on the PS2.  After watching that video I don't see anything there that requires a next gen system.  It looks like a PS2 game with slightly upgraded textures.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2007, 08:44:28 PM »

They were level 1 for goodness sakes. that clip shows nothing of importance

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2007, 08:59:20 PM »

The graphics are fantastic. You need to see better versions than that crap deno. Watch a 720p capture card transfer. The game is very anime-styled so it doesn't have particularly vivid or detailed environments, but the graphics are gorgeous, teh characters detailed, and the animations fantastic. Its clearly new-gen tech, nothing on the PS2 looks remotely like the in game action, ditto with ES (which I still want, but Japanese reviews says is too short and on the easy side). BD on the other hand, all reports say is long, involved, but also a little on the easy side.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2007, 12:39:24 AM »

Calvin beat me to it; the visuals on Blue Dragon are beyond what the PS2 could output. Not a rip on the PS2 at all, as I still think many PS2 titles are amongst the most beautiful I've played, but the visuals have a significant upgrade by virtue of the 360's HD-res output.

That said, I'd still be stoked for it on the PS2. icon_wink Being on the 360 just makes it that much more delicious.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2007, 01:09:29 AM »

oh come on you guys - rpgs r teh ghey! where iz h4l000zzzzzzzz!!!

(kidding, kidding - seriously is blue dragon coming out sooner than august???  and if not - WHY???)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2007, 01:29:30 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on June 18, 2007, 08:30:03 PM

It seems to me they could have had alot more sales of this game on the PS2.  After watching that video I don't see anything there that requires a next gen system.  It looks like a PS2 game with slightly upgraded textures.

BD is Microsoft funded and published so the PS2 was never in the cards. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2007, 05:54:43 AM »

1Up has a new preview for Blue Dragon here, with some new English screenshots and videos.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2007, 07:25:23 AM »

One thing I am tiring of in JRPGs is that the characters look exactly the same throughout the game, they really need to go through a cosmetic upgrade as you progress in levels.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2007, 11:02:55 AM »

Like FF1.

Go THF/NIN, Go!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2007, 12:46:06 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on June 19, 2007, 07:25:23 AM

One thing I am tiring of in JRPGs is that the characters look exactly the same throughout the game, they really need to go through a cosmetic upgrade as you progress in levels.

I am 100% on board with this idea.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2007, 03:28:43 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 19, 2007, 12:46:06 PM

I agree, I hate not seeing new armor when you buy it and equip it. You always feel kind of cheated.
I guess they use that extra texture space for the larger than life weapons  Roll Eyes

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
depward

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2007, 04:22:56 PM »

I know this thread is primarily about BD, but import impressions of Eternal Sonata aren't too favorable... complaints being it's really short (like < 20 hours) and there is no story as well as the game being super easy.

Still, I'll buy it because of the whole really cool Chopin idea, but still - kinda sucky   icon_neutral

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2007, 12:26:25 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 19, 2007, 12:46:06 PM

That gets back to the point I made earlier.  Blue Dragon is supposed to be a next gen game.  Why doesn't it have visible armor upgrades?  Why aren't the environments more interacive, instead of just having you walk around pressing B on everything?  Why isn't all the dialogue voiced?  Why does the combat look so 1997?  If this is the first true JRPG on the 360 I cannot see it winning over many people who aren't JRPG fans already.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2007, 12:32:26 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on June 20, 2007, 12:26:25 AM

If this is the first true JRPG on the 360 I cannot see it winning over many people who aren't JRPG fans already.

I don't think they care about them honestly. The game seemed like it's main purpose was to sell 360s in Japan.

I wouldn't mind seeing the JRPGs evolve a little, but I still love a good one.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 12:41:34 AM by Lee » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2007, 12:40:35 AM »

If this is the first true JRPG on the 360 I cannot see it winning over many people who aren't JRPG fans already.

It's not about converting non-JRPG fans.  Instead it's about converting JRPG fans to the 360 from Sony consoles which have dominated the genre the past two generations. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2007, 01:05:19 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 20, 2007, 12:40:35 AM

It's not about converting non-JRPG fans.  Instead it's about converting JRPG fans to the 360 from Sony consoles which have dominated the genre the past two generations. 

Exactly.  Last gen, PS2 was really the only choice for JRPG's.  So if BD can convert a few of us JRPG nuts over to 360, then it's a huge win for the system.  Reality is, if people aren't already JRPG fans then they're probably not going to be.

And truth be told, it worked - at least with me.  BD is one of the main reasons I chose a 360 over a PS3 at this point.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2007, 01:25:32 AM »

Console RPGs are a very traditional genre.  There are the occasional innovative games, but rarely do the changes extend between that one game or its sequels.  Dragon Quest 8 isn't markedly different from Dragon Quest 2, but I still had a blast playing it.  Innovative games like FF12 can be great fun, too, but I imagine that, 20 years from now, console RPGs will be pretty similar to what they are now, and I'll still be enjoying them.

As for the non-visible armor changes, I have a feeling it's due to the fact that the character's look is so closely tied to the charcter.  Lulu's dress of 1000 belts or Yangus's spiky hat are part of their character, and the developers probably don't want to risk losing that aspect by allowing armor changes.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2007, 01:38:59 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on June 20, 2007, 01:25:32 AM

Console RPGs are a very traditional genre.  There are the occasional innovative games, but rarely do the changes extend between that one game or its sequels.  Dragon Quest 8 isn't markedly different from Dragon Quest 2, but I still had a blast playing it.  Innovative games like FF12 can be great fun, too, but I imagine that, 20 years from now, console RPGs will be pretty similar to what they are now, and I'll still be enjoying them.

As for the non-visible armor changes, I have a feeling it's due to the fact that the character's look is so closely tied to the charcter.  Lulu's dress of 1000 belts or Yangus's spiky hat are part of their character, and the developers probably don't want to risk losing that aspect by allowing armor changes.

Points taken.  I guess I just don't "get" JRPGs.   paranoid

I hope you guys who enjoy them have fun with these 2.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2007, 02:27:07 AM »

Quote from: depward on June 19, 2007, 04:22:56 PM

I know this thread is primarily about BD, but import impressions of Eternal Sonata aren't too favorable... complaints being it's really short (like < 20 hours) and there is no story as well as the game being super easy.

Still, I'll buy it because of the whole really cool Chopin idea, but still - kinda sucky   icon_neutral

While a few very negative posters are reporting this others are reporting that the game, while short, has a charming if basic story, engaging combat, beautiful graphics, and yes does err on the easy side. You know you still want it smile I know I do! If anything, it has shown that this charming little JRPG has tried some interesting things in the staid JRPG genre, and with mixed results. It truly does seem like a B game, an 8/10, but thats fine-that just lets me know I can finish BD and ME without worrying about time and get to ES when the game rush quiets down and enjoy a medium length, gorgeous trip through Chopin's imagination  icon_wink
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2007, 02:28:28 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 20, 2007, 12:40:35 AM

And BD is a great vehicle for this. It definitely won MS some serious cred in Japan amongst the hardcore, and absolutely increased hardware sales for a little bit. By all accounts its a good, beautiful, somewhat by the numbers JRPG throwback, with enough DQ/FF mixed in to interest the American fans too-I think its going to be a big hit.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2007, 01:51:41 AM »

I don't know if this is old news or not, but here's an English preview of Blue Dragon...

Link to gametrailers

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2007, 06:43:17 AM »

There's a nice new English trailer for Eternal Sonata at IGN.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2007, 02:29:52 PM »

August 28th for BD- hopefully I'll be too busy with Bioshock though.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2007, 02:33:46 PM »

I've read enough about Eternal Sonata now that it's probably a pass for me at least until it drops to $20.00 and maybe never. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: