http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 09:55:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBOX 360 released in Japan today  (Read 3656 times)
Dafones
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2005, 01:12:29 AM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
What was the reason Microsoft gave for offering only the Premium version in Japan?

Don't know, but they should've used the same reasoning over here.  :wink:

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2005, 06:28:39 AM »

yeah, since they dont sell well in the US. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2005, 07:10:57 PM »

Ahh, but there's a difference between emotionally crumbling fanboys being forced to purchase the Core system to get their gaming fix and those that actually want it. If MS were somehow capable of supplying a Premium unit to each and every buyer that wanted one, I think you'd see the Core boxes cluttering the shelves.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2005, 02:06:03 PM »

Saw this on another forum (sorry, they didn't link the article):

Microsoft Sold 28% of Xbox 360s in Japanese Stores (Update1)
Dec. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft Corp., the second-largest maker of video game systems, sold 28 percent of Xbox 360 consoles on store shelves in Japan, according to preliminary figures from market researcher Media Create Co.

Microsoft sold 41,817 consoles in the first two days since the Xbox 360 was introduced on Dec. 10 in Japan, Tokyo-based Media Create said in an e-mailed statement late yesterday. The researcher will publish revised figures tomorrow.

``It sounds like a pretty weak start,'' said Eiji Maeda, a video game industry analyst at Daiwa Institute of Research in Tokyo. ``It will be important to watch how sales are in the last week before Christmas.''

The consoles sell for 37,900 yen ($316), excluding tax, and come with a 20-gigabyte external hard disk drive. In the U.S. and Europe, Microsoft offered consoles for the equivalent of $299 without the hard-disk drive and $399 with the drive. Microsoft said it expects to ship 3 million units globally within the first 90 days and 5.5 million units by June.

Yoshihiro Maruyama, the head of Japan's Xbox operations, in September said Microsoft ``can't call it a victory unless we win in Japan.'' The company's first Xbox was outsold by Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 2 about 36-to-one in the country.

Microsoft's first Xbox started sales in Japan on Feb. 22, 2002, almost two years behind Sony's PS2 and five months behind Nintendo Co.'s GameCube. The Redmond, Washington-based software maker also failed to develop role-playing games that appealed to Japanese users.

`Behind the Eight Ball'

This time around, the Xbox 360 was introduced as much as six months ahead of Sony's PlayStation 3, which is expected in the second quarter of 2006, and Nintendo's Revolution, which will come out sometime next year.

The company has also worked with some of Japan's top game developers such as Square Enix Co. to bring role-playing games, which allow users to take a character through an elaborate storyline adventure, to attract gamers.

The Xbox 360s sold in Japan came with a trial version of Square Enix's ``Final Fantasy XI.'' Previous versions of the Final Fantasy series were the best-selling games in Japan in 2003 and 2001, and No. 2 in 2000 and 1999, according to Tokyo-based researcher Enterbrain Inc.

For the first Xbox ``we were behind the eight ball as it were from the get-go and we did not want to repeat that,'' said Peter Moore, head of global marketing for Xbox, in an interview Dec. 9. ``It was important to get out in front early.''

In the U.S. the Xbox 360 console sold out at nationwide stores such as Wal-Mart Stores Inc., Best Buy Co., Circuit City Stores Inc. and GameStop Corp. and online retailers including Amazon.com Inc. Globally, the PS2 outsold Xbox about four-to-one.

Doesn't sound so hot. According to other posters on that forum, the originial XBox sold 100K units in it's first two days of release. Maybe things will pick up once DOA comes out.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2005, 02:15:20 PM »

Like I said earlier in the thread, not having DOA 4 at launch REALLY hurt MS's already weak chances of a strong launch over there.

I do think sales will pick up once DOA 4 is out and some other games like 99 Nights and BLue Dragon hit shelves.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2005, 03:12:32 PM »

Too bad they didn't push hard to have FFXI as a launch title, that probably would've made a big difference for launch.  And how hard could it be to port a game that already has a Windows version?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2005, 04:10:49 PM »

Launch Day in Japan: 150MB of pics and video from Tim Rogers
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2005, 07:28:36 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Err....ok.

Look, I was just pointing out the fact that it is not a huge failure in Japan, even the guy that posted the shots admited that.

Does that mean it is a huge success? Hell no. It will never do as well in Japan as in the USA. The shots were funny and I did get a laugh out of them, but whatever.

I now will leave you to your regularly scheduled "nobody is buying the 360 in Japan! OMG OMG LOLOLOL"  thread....

42,000 in three days qualifies as a huge failure, IMHO.

That said, if it had launched here with only six games and only 12 games on the backwards compatible list it probably would have tanked as well.  They definately dropped the ball, which is odd given all their talk.  

They still have a chance if a "killer ap" type title hits before PS3, however.

The only good news is that it means more systems for the other markets.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2005, 07:57:33 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
The only good news is that it means more systems for the other markets.

Does it?  Does it really?  Perhaps in the long-term it does, as Microsoft shifts their production to make less Japanese language units and more units for other markets, but it doesn't do squat to ease the disparity happening now.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2005, 08:05:29 PM »

I doubt they are making any more for Japan right now.  

It depends on how the production is set up, of course, but let's say the region coding is pre-set on the DVD drive and the hard drive.  You could make NA and European versions very easily right now by just using the components that are set for that market.

Plus, I can't imagine they didn't already know that initial demand in Japan would be less than NA and Europe so they've had time to shift their production away from Japanese units.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2005, 08:25:31 PM »

I’ll probably never find this out unless someone from MS leaks information, but I’m still curious if the total units produced and shipped for all 3 regions were anywhere close to their projection #s or targets for shipped units in Nov and Dec.  The press releases and interviews by MS have all been very carefully constructed and worded, and contain broad statements like “We haven’t been able to meet demand.”  

From a business case study perspective, I’m sincerely interested in learning why they haven’t been able to meet demand.  Did their forecasters screw up on their market demand projections?  Did one of their vendors screw them during the manufacturing process?  Did their own engineers catch something after the first production runs that needed to be fixed?  I still believe they have too many talented people to drop the ball on things like initial demand projections.

MS signed some big name Japanese developers to work on exclusive titles for the 360.  Maybe they should’ve waited until those titles were ready before trying to launch in Japan.  A 7 month launch headstart doesn’t do much good if there are no titles that generate buzz for the console.  I’m guessing that when the ps3 launches there will be titles that generate buzz in the Japanese market.  I think the NA market is probably the easiest to launch a console in.  Just ensure you have some of the “next gen” franchise titles from the big dogs like EA and EA sports, and you’re set at least for a little while…as long as there are enough consoles available.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2005, 08:57:09 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
From a business case study perspective, I’m sincerely interested in learning why they haven’t been able to meet demand.  Did their forecasters screw up on their market demand projections?  Did one of their vendors screw them during the manufacturing process?  Did their own engineers catch something after the first production runs that needed to be fixed?  I still believe they have too many talented people to drop the ball on things like initial demand projections.

Their chip yields weren't as good as they were initially predicting.  As the process gets better and chip yields improve, they should be getting more product out.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: