http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 10:21:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBOX 360 released in Japan today  (Read 3711 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2005, 12:05:02 AM »

I wonder how it's going to do.  I've neither seen or heard any hype whatsoever although I'll admit I haven't been looking very hard.  MS has set up an Xbox 360 cafe in Tokyo where you can walk in and play the games.  They had a full page article in the paper today about it.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 02:19:46 AM »

I think the delay of DOA 4 is going to hurt BIG in Japan.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 02:24:12 AM »

You mean, other than the fact that the Xbox 360 includes the word "Xbox" in it?   :lol:

Seriously though, what's the deal over there, are they anti-Microsoft?  Or were there just no appealing games for them on the Xbox?

TheMissingLink on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 03:57:31 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
You mean, other than the fact that the Xbox 360 includes the word "Xbox" in it?   :lol:

Seriously though, what's the deal over there, are they anti-Microsoft?  Or were there just no appealing games for them on the Xbox?

Well, look at the games that sell over there, and then look at what genre the X-Box lacked.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 04:04:48 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Well, look at the games that sell over there, and then look at what genre the X-Box lacked.

Yeah, Microsoft is totally lacking in the "freaky and/or weird-ass shit" genre.  Not nearly enough games where you poke people's posteriors with an oversized finger.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 05:34:07 AM »

MS isn't off to such a hot start with a what looks like a paltry line-up of only six (really...six?) games at launch, no DOA4 and no RPGs.  How is that winning over the Japanese market?  It sounds like there could be some good stuff in the future, just not at launch.  I'm interested to see what happens.

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"

Yeah, Microsoft is totally lacking in the "freaky and/or weird-ass shit" genre.  Not nearly enough games where you poke people's posteriors with an oversized finger.

It gives a whole other meaning to the saying "Fun is where you find it."  Tongue

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 02:13:36 PM »

It's not just Microsoft, pretty much every non-Japanese company is shunned.  Besides McDonalds, KFC, and Coca Cola (although Coke seems to sell way more green tea than soda over there), the only American product I saw over there was the iPod.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 02:48:25 PM »

It's funny I was playing PGR3 online last night and I was kept hearing a bunch of Japanese people talking whenever I would join a race....so at least some people got the system! smile

I still think that delaying DOA 4 until the end of the month is a huge mistake in Japan.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 02:50:47 PM »

Oh and here is a story from Gamespot about the launch in Japan...it's pretty positive!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6141063.html

It sold out in half an hour. I wasn't expecting that at all.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005, 03:39:19 PM »

Hetz you really do see the Xbox world through rose coloured lenses don't you? smile  Of course it sold out.  Tokyo is a city of 12 million people after all and just how many Xbox's did they have available for sale anyways?  Probably a hell of a lot less than what they had for the US.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2005, 04:02:57 PM »

It sold out at that event.  Elsewhere...

"Lukewarm Reaction to New Xbox in Japan"

But despite its early market entry, consumers in Tokyo appeared muted on Saturday in their enthusiasm in contrast to the excitement generated at the console's US debut on November 22.
Customer reactions "are a bit subdued", a senior store official said, adding that less than 50 consoles were sold in the first two hours of the launch.

"It's not going to be a big hit in Japan," said Kentaro Okamoto (26), one of the first Xbox 360 buyers. "I buy every new game console ... but normally Japanese customers only buy a machine when it's made by Sony or Nintendo."
Another buyer, Mayuko Taniguchi (28), said she knows she is in "a minority" of Japanese consumers who will buy the Microsoft console.

"I think many people would rather wait for PlayStation 3 or Revolution," she said.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005, 04:07:57 PM »

Until the 360 gets some Japanese style RPG's, I can't see it being all that successful.  Remember, this a country that banned releasing new Dragon Quest games on weekdays because of the economic impact of the entire country skipping work to play the game.

Crayola gets a golf clap for the 'oversized finger' comment, though.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005, 04:34:06 PM »

They still seem to have a strong sense of nationalism when they consider purchasing products.  Even if the 360 launched with games featuring big headed, little bodied, effeminate teen characters that looked like 8 year old boys and girls, MS would still have to overcome the huge hurdle of not having a Sony or Nintendo label on their machine.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 07:00:08 PM »

Quote from: "Canuck"
Hetz you really do see the Xbox world through rose coloured lenses don't you? smile  Of course it sold out.  Tokyo is a city of 12 million people after all and just how many Xbox's did they have available for sale anyways?  Probably a hell of a lot less than what they had for the US.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting it to sell out anywhere in Japan, given the Xbox's track record there. MS has to be pretty pleased with the launch so far over there, with no DOA 4 to back it up. When DOA 4 is released, expect a bunch more purchases.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 08:18:00 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
Until the 360 gets some Japanese style RPG's, I can't see it being all that successful.  Remember, this a country that banned releasing new Dragon Quest games on weekdays because of the economic impact of the entire country skipping work to play the game.

I still shake my head in amazement every time I hear that. One of the crazy little facts about gaming life in Japan.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2005, 12:19:27 AM »

No. Fucking. Way. That's insane.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2005, 01:17:29 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"

No. Fucking. Way. That's insane.

About halfway down the page on this site:

Dragon Quest III made one critical mistake that changed the fabric of game history forever in Japan though: It was released on a weekday. This lead to anarchy for a day as millions called in sick, waiting in line just to get the game. Japan's legislatures were not slow to act, enforcing a now historic law that bans Dragon Quest from ever being released in Japan on a weekday. This law is still in effect today, as each Dragon Quest entry is met with millions still copping out of a day of work.

From another site as well:

Its popularity is hard to imagine for us western gamers. Dragon Quest III was released on a weekday and many kids skipped school and workers called in sick to purchase and play their copy. Lines at game stores grew several blocks long. Some people were even mugged by disgruntled customers desperate to get their hands on one. There were even complaints that Dragon Quest slowed the country's productivity which resulted in a DQ game only to be released on a weekend or holiday. There has yet to be a game in North America that has reached the cultural phenomenon status that Dragon Quest has. When Dragon Quest IV was released, a celebration was held and "hoimi" (the game's basic healing spell) became an official Japanese word.

Insane is right.   :shock:

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2005, 07:32:36 AM »

Not that it's at the same level, but the annual Madden release has started having a noticeable effect in the US as well.  Major news organizations had minor blurbs on it this year.  Plus, there was some similar talk around Halo 2's release as well.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2005, 08:04:21 AM »

Don't forget the Civ series. slywink

Just how large is Japan?  I mean looking at maps it's about the size of one large US state, with a population that's even more packed than US cities.

When you consider how crazy things can get for a state sports game, the Japanese past time of gaming and the calamity from a game's release doesn't seem that bad.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2005, 08:56:47 AM »

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=75548

LOL, those pictures are priceless.  Ship some of the leftovers over here!

TheMissingLink on PSN
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2005, 03:42:55 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Just how large is Japan?  I mean looking at maps it's about the size of one large US state, with a population that's even more packed than US cities.

It's a little bit smaller than California, with a population greater than California, Texas, New York State, Florida, Illinois, and Pennsylvania combined.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2005, 04:29:33 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"

It's a little bit smaller than California, with a population greater than California, Texas, New York State, Florida, Illinois, and Pennsylvania combined.

If you count the robots.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2005, 04:32:36 PM »

Godzilla counts as at least 2, right?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2005, 04:49:31 PM »

If you count the robots.

Just because Texas votes Republican, it doesn't mean they don't have free will like the rest of us.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2005, 06:15:45 PM »

Awesome pics.  The captions were wonderful.  "At 6:45 AM, the line outside AsoBit City stretched to 4 people. One of whom was a foreigner."  I think that pretty much sums it up right there.

I could taste the despair!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2005, 08:05:10 PM »

Brutal!

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2005, 08:59:01 PM »

You forgot the disclaimer at the bottom of the post...

(Disclaimer: "Disaster" is a bit of hyperbole; the Xbox 360 seemed to be selling reasonably well throughout the day, if nowhere near the U.S. and European sell-out riots. Still, outside of the official Shibuya event, gearing up for a 7:00 A.M. Saturday launch in near-freezing weather seems to have been Rather Not A Good Idea.)

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2005, 09:10:46 PM »

Either way, I seriously doubt places looked like that in the U.S.  Just thought it was funny, that's all.

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2005, 09:17:50 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

(Disclaimer: "Disaster" is a bit of hyperbole; the Xbox 360 seemed to be selling reasonably well throughout the day, if nowhere near the U.S. and European sell-out riots. Still, outside of the official Shibuya event, gearing up for a 7:00 A.M. Saturday launch in near-freezing weather seems to have been Rather Not A Good Idea.)

Someone struck a nerve . . .

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2005, 09:32:06 PM »

Quote from: "depward"

Someone struck a nerve . . .

What? I am just pointing out that it's not the dismal failure in Japan that some are hoping it is.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2005, 10:14:46 PM »

It was a picture dude.  A funny.  The caption was meant to be funny, not point out how shitty the Xbox360 is doing.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2005, 10:22:32 PM »

What? I am just pointing out that it's not the dismal failure in Japan that some are hoping it is.

Who here said anything about hoping the 360 fails in Japan?  Everyone seems to just be munching popcorn and seeing what's unfolding over there.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2005, 10:44:10 PM »

Ship that surplus product over here!  I think they use NTSC format, so you'd just have to change the language on the dashboard?
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2005, 10:54:37 PM »

Who here said anything about hoping the 360 fails in Japan?  Everyone seems to just be munching popcorn and seeing what's unfolding over there.

I was gunna say the same thing. I don't think we want any system to fail, but I am morbidly curious to see how well the 360 succeeds in Japan.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2005, 11:49:00 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
Ship that surplus product over here!

WHY WOULD THEY, IT'S SELLING OUT OVER THERE, THOSE PICTURES ARE BOGUS PROPAGANDA AND NOT FUNNY.

:wink:

(I agree, us Americans want more 360's, so come on now, give us more)

TheMissingLink on PSN
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2005, 12:11:12 AM »

Err....ok.

Look, I was just pointing out the fact that it is not a huge failure in Japan, even the guy that posted the shots admited that.

Does that mean it is a huge success? Hell no. It will never do as well in Japan as in the USA. The shots were funny and I did get a laugh out of them, but whatever.

I now will leave you to your regularly scheduled "nobody is buying the 360 in Japan! OMG OMG LOLOLOL"  thread....

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2005, 12:35:21 AM »

What was the reason Microsoft gave for offering only the Premium version in Japan?  Imagine if they did offer the Core system at the same discount.  A 360 for $215 would definitely convert a lot more Playstation loyalists over there.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2005, 12:45:37 AM »

I can't believe they offered the premium for 330 bucks.    And I also can't believe that what should be MY fucking Xbox 360 might be sitting on a shelf in a society that is extremely archaic and closed minded about foreign countries.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2005, 12:46:11 AM »

There -- that ought to spark a gold old fashioned GG type discussion in here....

slywink
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2005, 12:48:18 AM »

I don't think the Core system would go over so well in Japan. Many of the Japanese gamers play MMORPG's (as evidenced by the fact that the 360 came with a FFXI demo). Since online games can't be played without a HD, it makes sense that they would only supply one system. Plus, considering the amount systems/games cost over there anyway, I doubt there's the same pressure to release a console at a lower price point.

As an aside, I heard some circumstantial evidence (i.e. Europeans on various message boards) that MS released a lot more Core systems than Premium systems in Europe.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: