http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 02:15:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBox 360 problems  (Read 927 times)
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2006, 09:35:26 PM »

Had it for 2 months, and it's getting disk errors now (tells me to clean the disk, but the disk is pristine). It usually takes a few hours (I played Oblivion for 3 hours last night before the first one hit), and sometimes it doesn't happen at all. When it does, if I open re-insert the DVD I am good to go for a few more hours, if I don't, I will get another error in about 5 minutes, usually.

Since they aren't that frequent (but it can really suck when they do happen) I am not that worried about it, but I am scared it will only get worse, and isn't the warranty only good for 3 months?

Should I worry about it? I have read some of the horror stories about dealing with MS so I wonder if I should just live with it. Or should I call MS and get it fixed?

Thanks for any advice.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 09:42:34 PM »

You paid good money for that SOB! Send it into Microsoft to get it fixed or get a new one sent to you since you're still in your warranty period. If you wait the problem isn't going to just fix itself, it probably will get worse over time and by then you won't have your warranty anymore.

I've heard more good stories about Microsoft customer support than I've heard bad ones, give them a call (8004myxbox) and let them send you a prepaid box to send it back to them in.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 01:21:45 PM »

i have had 2 problems now i come to think off it

1-when i have the keyboard for final fantasy 11 plugged in the usb socket,but i turn the machine off...it sometimes comes back on,which is  apin when i have left the ff11 disc in as then when i come to pay onit again it says i havent logged out properly

2-dvd player is biz,on menus or opening/closing credits the picture jerks a lot,or if there is fast action in the film...............not  a major problem as i have anoth 5 dvd players including my old xbox and ps 2,and i'll just watch the movies on there....but i do like to hold the new 360 dvd remote,in my hand...lol

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 07:35:44 PM »

Quote from: "Lee"
Had it for 2 months, and it's getting disk errors now (tells me to clean the disk, but the disk is pristine). It usually takes a few hours (I played Oblivion for 3 hours last night before the first one hit), and sometimes it doesn't happen at all. When it does, if I open re-insert the DVD I am good to go for a few more hours, if I don't, I will get another error in about 5 minutes, usually.

How is your system set up in regard to cooling?  Does it have space around it to vent?  Is it inside a case of any kind?  I ask because your description reminds me a lot of what can happen to the original XBox when it over heats.  

Otherwise, I'd contact MS as soon as you can.  

This is also why I bought an extended warranty this time.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Americanidle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 08:05:44 PM »

Lee,

You posted in my thread as I had the same kind of errors with Burnout. I've found a few things to try:

1. It was suggested to plug the power supply directly into the wall or better yet, a ups with automatic voltage regulation. I have mine into a basic power strip and I will try this tonight.

2. I've also seen something to the effect of shut down the console, remove the hd, restart it and go through initial setup again, shut it down again and restart after hooking the hd back up.

I was thinking of starting with just plugging into a good ups and starting the system up with holding A to clear the cache. I'll see where it gets me.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 08:08:49 PM »

Oblivion seems to thrash much more than any of my other 360 games.  I'm guessing the weird noises I've been hearing occasionally are due to Oblivion not taking advantage of the HD, and having to scan from the cd?  I've had 1 disc error with Oblivion after about 4 days of play.  GRAW makes some weird cd access noises too on occasion, no lock-ups though.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 10:07:10 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
Oblivion seems to thrash much more than any of my other 360 games.  I'm guessing the weird noises I've been hearing occasionally are due to Oblivion not taking advantage of the HD, and having to scan from the cd?  I've had 1 disc error with Oblivion after about 4 days of play.  GRAW makes some weird cd access noises too on occasion, no lock-ups though.

If it's thrashing, you might want to try the disk cache cleaning trick.  It's on the front page.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 12:16:01 AM »

I feel like a knucklehead, where on the front page is disk cache cleaning trick?
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 12:53:37 AM »

I feel like a knucklehead, where on the front page is disk cache cleaning trick?

I couldn't find it on the front page either, but you can also read about it here.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 01:05:07 AM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"

I couldn't find it on the front page either, but you can also read about it here.

Thanks for the link.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 02:14:11 AM »

Good luck, hope that works... if not, try the prevention from overheating.  Mine is on a wire rack, surrounded by air, and the power brick is likewise unencumbered, not even flat on the floor or rug.  For me - I can tell I have no overheating problems, lol - since Final Fantasy, Zuma, and/ or Oblivion have been played nearly 24 hours a day,  7 days a week here, for... um, ever.  FFXI froze twice, and I noticed the brick had fallen over and was flat on the rug.  I corrected it, and whether that or the beta was the issue, it's no longer happening.  :lol:

Metal, I think that one issue you're talking about is a Playonline glitch - where it says you didn't log out properly.  It tell me that about 25 % of the time no matter how I log out, lol.  I'm not worrying about it until I see it happen again after the real game comes out and I re-install Playonline.  Even then, nothing seems to happen due to it, so...  :roll:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 05:13:28 AM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"

I should have posted the news item:

http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=5243

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Americanidle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 03:03:29 PM »

As a follow up, I moved out everything from the powerstrip I was using (360 included) and setup a UPS for everything to go into. The UPS does support automatic voltage regulation. I played Burnout for a few hours last night and had a small session with PDZ that I got from Gamefly - no disk errors since the change. Granted it's a small test window so far but it's started out well.
I also realized that a small portable heater we had plugged into the strip overloaded the ups by itself when turned it on. I moved that across the room to an outleft by itself. Not sure if that had anything to do with power problems.
Well it shouldn't take too long to know if this helped or if the errors will continue and I'll need to contact MS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: