http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 01:01:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 problem...  (Read 2866 times)
Sparhawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2006, 10:21:36 PM »

I'm having a problem with my Xbox 360 locking up with white vertical dotted lines appear on the screen or the screen will just go black. The powerbrick and Xbox 360 itself are not in an enclosed space and the power brick is not on the carpet, so I'm not certain if it is a heat issue or not.

Now I'm sure there is no relation, but this started after I got DOA4, everything played fine before that.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 11:08:15 PM »

Has it happened with any other games or just DOA?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 11:38:45 PM »

Happened in PGR3 as well. I went ahead and called 1-800-4MY-XBOX and requested service. I didn't sit on hold, the call was quick and the lady I talked to was very helpful. She is sending me an overnight box to put my console in, and I can expect to recieve either the same console or a replacement console by Wed or Thurs next week.

I guess this will give me some time to finish up Dragon Quest 8 now.

This sucks, but I can deal with it. I have no choice really. The only thing I regret is that I can't play DOA4 or PGR3 with anyone on live.  :cry: My skills are going to fade into nothingness!

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 11:45:38 PM »

Could be worse. My 360 was freezing after playing for 30 minutes or so, and then it actually ate (drilled a perfectly round dime-sized hole into) PGR3.

Back goes my console and game for Microsoft to fix/replace.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 11:59:31 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Could be worse. My 360 was freezing after playing for 30 minutes or so, and then it actually ate (drilled a perfectly round dime-sized hole into) PGR3.

DRILLED?

How did that happen?

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 12:01:09 AM »

Something I've been curious about since I may have to send my 360 in to get it to read DVD's without freezing:  When you send the 360 back, do you send the hard drive with it?

I guess it doesn't really matter... don't know anyone else with a 360 right now.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 03:14:18 AM »

I too am a tad concerned about my Xbox-the dvd drive is making an awfully suspicious amount of noise, and I had a crash at the end of a game of Madden and at the end of a race in NFS:MW-both of which were very annoying smile I hope I dont have to send mine back.

I have one thought though-could it be because I have the 360 sitting vertical?
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 03:17:15 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
I too am a tad concerned about my Xbox-the dvd drive is making an awfully suspicious amount of noise, and I had a crash at the end of a game of Madden and at the end of a race in NFS:MW-both of which were very annoying smile I hope I dont have to send mine back.

http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=4598

Might be something to look into....

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 04:42:05 AM »

This thread alone makes me glad I am waiting to pick one of these things up.  I wonder how long we have to wait for a hardware version to be produced that doesn't seem to have so many issues.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 04:52:49 AM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
DRILLED?

How did that happen?

Damned if I know. All I knew is that I tossed PGR3 into the drive, sat down onto my chair, and told the Dashboard to close the drive (as I usually do).

Then I heard this funky noise come from my drive, and when I popped out the game, I saw this:

From my local Gamespot person, he thinks that the CD laser overheated enough (as the console was attempting to read the game) that it actually melted the DVD. Whatever. All I know is it looks like it drilled a perfectly round hole almost all the way through the game. You can even see it pressing through the labeling on the other side.

And as far as sending in the 360 goes - yes, Microsoft does want you to include the HD. They insisted on the phone that I'd get that back though. They better. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 05:41:47 AM »

From Slashdot:

Though Microsoft has previously stated that a reported problem where Xbox 360s may be scratching game discs was relatively rare, it's apparently common enough that rental agency GameFly has an official policy on the problem. From Gamasutra: "We have received reports that certain XBOX 360 consoles have caused damage to GameFly videogames. Unfortunately, we have been notified that you recently returned a damaged XBOX 360 game. As a precaution, we have removed all XBOX 360 games from your GameQ. Please contact Microsoft at 1-800-4MY-XBOX. Please do not rent XBOX 360 games until you have resolved this issue. In the future, should GameFly receive XBOX 360 games from you that have been damaged, you will be charged a replacement fee."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 06:35:09 AM »

Destructor is does seem like the disc didn't spin and the laser just focussed on that one area, or somehow the laser got pushed into the disk and the heat caused that to happen.

Eitherway, all this is good to know info, makes waiting even easier!

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 12:11:48 PM »

Wow, that's a new one...

I have mine positioned vertically and no problems. I think the only crash I've had was while trying to play a BC game (Fable). No disc probs to report.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 12:49:57 PM »

..biting my tongue...

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006, 02:28:52 PM »

Happened in PGR3 as well. I went ahead and called 1-800-4MY-XBOX and requested service. I didn't sit on hold, the call was quick and the lady I talked to was very helpful. She is sending me an overnight box to put my console in, and I can expect to recieve either the same console or a replacement console by Wed or Thurs next week.

I guess this will give me some time to finish up Dragon Quest 8 now.

This sucks, but I can deal with it. I have no choice really. The only thing I regret is that I can't play DOA4 or PGR3 with anyone on live.  :cry: My skills are going to fade into nothingness!

I'm glad to hear how positive this service call went.  I've started to have my share of lockups(mostly when I hit the Xbox button during loading screens), but I don't know if it's the console or the game.

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2006, 03:22:57 PM »

DRILLED?

How did that happen?

Damned if I know. All I knew is that I tossed PGR3 into the drive, sat down onto my chair, and told the Dashboard to close the drive (as I usually do).

Then I heard this funky noise come from my drive, and when I popped out the game, I saw this:

From my local Gamespot person, he thinks that the CD laser overheated enough (as the console was attempting to read the game) that it actually melted the DVD. Whatever. All I know is it looks like it drilled a perfectly round hole almost all the way through the game. You can even see it pressing through the labeling on the other side.

And as far as sending in the 360 goes - yes, Microsoft does want you to include the HD. They insisted on the phone that I'd get that back though. They better. biggrin

That is one harsh laser if it did that...did they put a CD-burner in your unit?  I was always under the impression that the lasers in the drives just couldn't be this powerful.  If you can, I'd keep that disk just to show off what a properly adjusted mad scientist laser can do. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2006, 03:46:37 PM »

Its not a burner, but it can rip songs to the HD

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2006, 04:08:02 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
From Slashdot:

Though Microsoft has previously stated that a reported problem where Xbox 360s may be scratching game discs was relatively rare, it's apparently common enough that rental agency GameFly has an official policy on the problem. From Gamasutra: "We have received reports that certain XBOX 360 consoles have caused damage to GameFly videogames. Unfortunately, we have been notified that you recently returned a damaged XBOX 360 game. As a precaution, we have removed all XBOX 360 games from your GameQ. Please contact Microsoft at 1-800-4MY-XBOX. Please do not rent XBOX 360 games until you have resolved this issue. In the future, should GameFly receive XBOX 360 games from you that have been damaged, you will be charged a replacement fee."

Maybe Gamefly should be contacting Microsoft personally, and not harassing people who did nothing wrong.   :?

After what I have seen, I will wait until the PS3 is launched before I buy the 360.  Hopefully there will be a pricedrop (and the system will be easy to find), plus a new hardware version.

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2006, 07:09:21 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
..biting my tongue...

Why do that?  Go ahead and spit it out!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2006, 02:10:03 AM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
Quote from: "Calvin"

http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=4598

Might be something to look into....

Yeah I had read about that-thanks-but it doesn't really help me with the whole is vertical bad question.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2006, 12:48:58 PM »

*shrug* Mine has been vertical the whole time and no trouble.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2006, 01:59:50 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
*shrug* Mine has been vertical the whole time and no trouble.

Basically it will work without issue, but you're putting a bit more strain on the CD drive (as you're now fighting gravity). That's about it.

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2006, 05:53:45 PM »

From my local Gamespot person, he thinks that the CD laser overheated enough (as the console was attempting to read the game) that it actually melted the DVD. Whatever.

Haha. No. That's mechanical damage not heat damage. The laser in a CD isn't anywhere near strong enough to melt plastic.  Reflective plastic no-less.

I'm guessing the whole laser mechanism was shoved into the CD.

I mean.. the laser? That's like claiming your flashlight did it.  Actually.. any given flashlight probably puts out MORE heat then the laser in a CD drive.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2006, 06:40:49 PM »

Quote from: "Bob"
From my local Gamespot person, he thinks that the CD laser overheated enough (as the console was attempting to read the game) that it actually melted the DVD. Whatever.

Haha. No. That's mechanical damage not heat damage. The laser in a CD isn't anywhere near strong enough to melt plastic.  Reflective plastic no-less.

I'm guessing the whole laser mechanism was shoved into the CD.

I mean.. the laser? That's like claiming your flashlight did it.  Actually.. any given flashlight probably puts out MORE heat then the laser in a CD drive.

While I can't believe the laser is strong enough, impact damage is not what that is.  Honestly, I'm betting it was seriously defective part, or incorrect drive was installed in the unit.  Who knows without cracking it open before he sends it back to MS.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2006, 06:54:58 PM »

Judging by the size of the deformation, it looks like the disk didn't seat properly and it was not the optical reader mashing it, but the rotating part that the disk should sit on.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2006, 07:48:42 PM »

Quote from: "Booner"
Judging by the size of the deformation, it looks like the disk didn't seat properly and it was not the optical reader mashing it, but the rotating part that the disk should sit on.

That's what I was thinking.  The disk probably slipped down and the spindle that grabs the disk spun into the side of the disk instead.

I find the "I'm gonna wait until they fix the problems" posts somewhat amusing.  The 360 is probably less defective than most recent console releases but because it's MS and because the supply is low it all gets magnified.  

Sadly for MS the casual consumer believes the defects are widespread.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2006, 03:25:02 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
Sadly for MS the casual consumer believes the defects are widespread.

It amazes me that there are a number of articles circulating at various websites the last several days talking about widespread scratching problems that all cite as their "evidence" the notice from Gamefly. Maybe it is a widespread problem, maybe it isn't, but many of those articles seem misleading to me.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2006, 05:09:41 AM »

Quote from: "Booner"

I thought about that, but based on how the disc was still sitting where it should've been when I ejected the game, I'm not sure.

Either way, I shipped the game off to Microsoft as well as my 360. Here's to hoping they replace the game as well.

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2006, 10:05:29 PM »

Holy shit man. I've heard of overheating issues, but not this.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: