http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 12:38:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBox 360 problem scratched disc  (Read 1700 times)
JLu
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2005, 09:45:16 PM »

So, I was just online trying to play random games against folks on XBox Live with Madden...  Had a fun game then all of a sudden I got a disconnect.  Didn't think much of it, until two more games disconnected in rather quick fashion.

Got an error that ended the last couple.  "The disc is unreadable.  It may be the wrong region for this console."  So I took out the disc to look at it.

And it is scratched, badly.  All the way around in a circle about 9/10ths of the way away from the center.  I've been using the console horizontally, and I think that this disc may now be trash.  

Kameo and Halo2, both of which I've played more, appear fine thankfully.  

Any reports of this elsewhere that I've missed?

EDIT: I was thinking back and it may have been my bad -- my controller batteries were low so I was setting it up with the plug and play kit.  I think while I did this I may have nudged the system enough to make it not totally level.  Lesson; do not touch the 360 while a game is in the drive spinning.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 10:14:38 PM »

I actually talked to an EB manager earlier in the day who said that about a half dozen games have been returned with very deep grooves scratched into them.  You might try returning it-you never know.  But horizontal or vertical should not be the issue.  The thing should obviously be okay horizontal and as far as vertical is concerned, that is the way the dumb thing is advertised to be used.  Why in the hell shouldn't you be able to do it that way?!

Oh, and I am very sorry for your bad disc.  That is a bummer.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 10:25:04 PM »

I didn't do the scratch protection on the disc of course -- but it is definitely worth taking a drive over to EBs to see...  Thank you for the tip!
If that doesn't work, I had thought that I could buy a second copy there, get the scratch protection, bring back this one, get the replacement, and ebay the extra copy.  That seems like a heck of a lot of effort though (and slightly unethical), when I was thinking that I'd be selling this copy on ebay in a week or two.

Oh and yeah, I'm keeping this 360 vertical from now on!

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 11:08:43 PM »

Quote from: "JLu"
I didn't do the scratch protection on the disc of course -- but it is definitely worth taking a drive over to EBs to see...  Thank you for the tip!
If that doesn't work, I had thought that I could buy a second copy there, get the scratch protection, bring back this one, get the replacement, and ebay the extra copy.  That seems like a heck of a lot of effort though (and slightly unethical), when I was thinking that I'd be selling this copy on ebay in a week or two.

Oh and yeah, I'm keeping this 360 vertical from now on!

You could always go to one of those places that resurfaces DVD's for a couple of dollars.  I did that for my Jet Grind Radio when the disk got scratched somehow.  Once I did that, I didn't have any issues with the disk at all.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 11:09:42 PM »

Well, there's always D-Skin.  Anyone tried it with the 360?

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 12:01:38 AM »

Apparently a lot of people are complaining about scratched disks.  Seems to be a reoccuring problem.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 01:17:26 AM »

Do you have your 360 on the side?

Many systems have problems when the system os placed up on its side.  My friend's PS2 would literally eat CDs when placed on its side.  The things cane out with deep gashes and what looked like claw marks.  Tongue

Anyway, the best bet is to find some local shop that has a CD resurfacer.  I have a local console game shop that has one in the back, they charge about $3.00 for each resurface.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 05:21:07 AM »

Come on, the dvd player, cd-rom has been around for a long freaking time now. I'm betting the majority of problems are from poor handling of disks and not the hardware.  

Anyone here use netflix? You mean to tell me all those scratched DVD's are from the DVD players? Really? Come on? SERIOUSLY YOU BELIEVE THAT?

:lol:

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 05:37:32 AM »

I'd be willing to bet that 98% or more of the grooves are from folks rotating the box while running and causing the disk to precess into the optical reader.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 06:15:32 AM »

I thought I read somewhere about the PS2's being put up like computer towers and them somehow scratching discs. (Even though Sony had it advertised putting the ps2 on it's side) I'd do some research on it now but I'm way too tired from work to even leave this website right now. Of all the people getting scratched discs, I wonder how many of them are putting their consoles like a computer tower versuses those that have it faced down on a surface.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 01:47:05 PM »

Quote from: "Booner"
I'd be willing to bet that 98% or more of the grooves are from folks rotating the box while running and causing the disk to precess into the optical reader.

From my understanding, that is what's going on with all the scratched discs.

Look at it this way - your CD drive on your PC - it never moves, right? Have you ever had any problems with scratched discs? I'm guessing no.

A console however, can be bumped into/jolted around for any number of reasons. And when a disc is spinning 12 times (or whatever the standard reading speed is) normal, any slight jolt will cause the CD head to hit the disc.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2005, 02:14:02 PM »

In which Is is the moment of inertia, Ts is the period of spin about the spin axis, and Q is the torque.

Got it?  :shock:
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 02:20:15 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Look at it this way - your CD drive on your PC - it never moves, right? Have you ever had any problems with scratched discs? I'm guessing no.

A console however, can be bumped into/jolted around for any number of reasons. And when a disc is spinning 12 times (or whatever the standard reading speed is) normal, any slight jolt will cause the CD head to hit the disc.

Not a problem with my laptop though.  Of course it was designed to move while operating whereas the X360 probably wasn't.

16-bit and loving it!
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2005, 02:20:38 PM »

Quote from: "Booner"

In which Is is the moment of inertia, Ts is the period of spin about the spin axis, and Q is the torque.

Got it?  :shock:

Why you collegiate assholes can't just type the number 3 is beyond me.
 :wink:

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 05:30:38 PM »

Quote from: "Windows98"
Not a problem with my laptop though.  Of course it was designed to move while operating whereas the X360 probably wasn't.

And more than likely, your laptop drive has a spindle thingy to physically attach the CD to, while your 360 has no such thing.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 03:58:33 PM »

I actually did have my system horizontal.  I've since moved it to be vertical though figuring maybe that'll prevent that in the future.

It absolutely was caused by hitting the system with the game running...  But if you open up the drive, you can see the part that caused this pretty easily.

Great suggestion on getting the DVD resurfaced.  Much better option than having to buy another copy (which just would not have happened)

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 04:06:38 PM »

Quote from: "JLu"
But if you open up the drive, you can see the part that caused this pretty easily.

Could you tell what that part is?
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2005, 06:57:50 PM »

Possibly the worst description ever, but...

If you open the DVD drive, about 9/10 of the way from the center is a very narrow raised area that goes all the way around.  Normally I do not think that this would ever touch the DVD -- but if the drive is jostled, well, it seems like that is what did it.

The purpose of this raised area?  Not sure.  Maybe the DVD normally rests on it , but the half inch drop while the disc was spinning just reacted very badly...

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2005, 08:01:20 PM »

I took that photo after the game wouldn't load a race series.  I've inspected all my other disc's and they show no sign of scratches even the ones that have been played more often and longer than this one.  The console was never moved or even touched while the game was in it, in fact the 360 sits right where I first placed it in the horizontal position.  Not sure what the deal is here, I'll take the game back to the store and see what they say.  Oops edited to add this is my PGR3 disc.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 08:51:15 PM »

Quote from: "Zinfan"
Not sure what the deal is here, I'll take the game back to the store and see what they say.  Oops edited to add this is my PGR3 disc.

Sure looks like the system was bumped.
Is it on a stable surface?
Is there something else that may be causing it to vibrate?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2005, 09:02:47 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
Quote from: "Zinfan"
Not sure what the deal is here, I'll take the game back to the store and see what they say.  Oops edited to add this is my PGR3 disc.

Sure looks like the system was bumped.
Is it on a stable surface?
Is there something else that may be causing it to vibrate?

It is in a very stable place.  I concluded it got scratched during my last play session but maybe it happened eariler and only certain sections of the game are unaccessible and I finally reached one?  I have no recollection of either bumping or moving the console at anytime but I suppose if it was scratched before my last session with it I can't say for sure how it happened.  I am the only user of the console though.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2005, 09:34:41 PM »

Well don't try to get MS to exchange it:
http://gameshout.com/news/122005/article1785.htm

LiveTAG: happydog
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2005, 09:44:45 PM »

Followup for my situation anyhow.

I brought it into my local Electonics Boutique...  I explained that it wasn't working properly (I didn't offer up my theory of it possibly being moved while the disc was spinning).  They said that my system probably got bumped and replaced it with no hassle at all.

Have I recently mentioned how good the two local EBs I go to are?  

The fact that the 360 can do this when bumped though...  Well, this generation I'll be buying the optional scratch insurance without a doubt (or looking into those d-skins).

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2005, 10:24:21 PM »

I've had a disc do that before -- turns out that the disc was warped (during manufacturing) and couldn't spin evenly.  It started to precess and ended up scratched just like that.

xbox live: nude rick james
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2005, 03:03:40 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "Windows98"

And more than likely, your laptop drive has a spindle thingy to physically attach the CD to, while your 360 has no such thing.

My Xbox 360?  Good God I didn't even know that I owned one yet!  Where is it? Where is it?  Tongue

16-bit and loving it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: