http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 06:30:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 Pre-Release Thread  (Read 17277 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2005, 06:26:37 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
I have no problems with this...I was going to be buying a headset, the media remote and the HD cables.  I want the hard drive so for me it is actually a savings to be able to buy the bundle at $399.  I will not be cancelling my preorder.

I have no problems from that side either, just that they could have put it into one SKU and sold it for $299.99 to put Sony at a huge disadvantage.  Instead they give Sony some wiggle room to continue dominance.

Would they lose money at system sell?  Yes (they still will ultimately, just not as much).  Would they gain money from everything else (games, stuff bought through the Live Marketplace, etc.) if the system was at a lower price?  You bet.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2005, 06:30:11 PM »

When's the CG contest going to hit that's giving away a 360? biggrin

On an unrelated note: Ever notice how Knightshade is the finest specimen that humanity can offer? He's great.

AGTfox is also exceedingly great. In fact, his greatness is only outshone by his generosity and machissimo.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2005, 06:31:50 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Quote from: "ATB"
However, I noticed that few of you (none?) are cancelling your preorders.  Seems hypocritical to denounce the idea and still pony up the cash.

There is always the chance I may cancel.  I haven't done so yet, but we shall see.

Zarkon, you don't have to have a 360 to keep working for the site.  No reason to pony up $400 unless you want to have an Xbox 360 to be honest.

Difference between 'have to' and 'would be of much help' is what I'm looking at.  And yeah, I'd like one.  smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2005, 06:37:16 PM »

On an unrelated note: Ever notice how Knightshade is the finest specimen that humanity can offer? He's great.

AGTfox is also exceedingly great. In fact, his greatness is only outshone by his generosity and machissimo.

Brown-noser!

Everyone knows who holds the true power around here: U2K!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2005, 06:38:53 PM »

Sonofabitch.  I thought this thing was supposed to be wireless out of the box.

Now I gotta buy that stupid wireless network adaptor too.  Fuck me.

gellar
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2005, 06:39:16 PM »

"Now, though, it feels like we're going backwards again."
My thoughts exactly.  Other than better graphics, this next generation of consoles seems like a step backwards.  Hard drives and wireless controllers should have been the standard for all 3 for the next-generation, yet none of them will have the hard drive as standard and XBox 360 won't even have a wireless controller standard.

I don't get why Microsoft chose to be misleading, even as recently as the completely wrong interview with J. Allard in this month's Game Informer.  They should have been upfront about the two versions all along, rather than just announcing it out of the blue.  They had to know this would generate a mostly negative reaction, so why compound that by misleading people for months?  It makes no sense.

Buying the $300 version doesn't make sense either.  If you include the price of the required memory card, you're only $60 away from getting over 30 times the storage space and a wireless controller.  One card probably wouldn't even be enough, given that KoTOR saves were too big too fit on an 8 MB card.

Well, Sony and Microsoft keeps making mistakes left and right regarding their next-gen consoles.  I can't wait to see how Nintendo screws up slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2005, 06:52:43 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
I don't get why Microsoft chose to be misleading, even as recently as the completely wrong interview with J. Allard in this month's Game Informer.  They should have been upfront about the two versions all along, rather than just announcing it out of the blue.  They had to know this would generate a mostly negative reaction, so why compound that by misleading people for months?  It makes no sense.

I honestly  wonder if there might be a disconnect at MS between the games division guys like Allard and Moore and the heavies like Gates and Bach.  During the round of E3 interviews it seemed like Allard and Moore were very into their "vision" for the 360 while Bach and Gates seemed to be hinting that it's time for the Xbox division to start being profitable if its going to last beyond  one more generation.  I suspect that some fiscal responsibility may have been ramrodded into the game division recently from on high.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2005, 06:53:32 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"

gellar

You forgot to say "please."

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2005, 07:06:23 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

gellar

You forgot to say "please."

Oh I don't think they care if I say "please" or not.

gellar
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2005, 07:09:03 PM »

Well, as I've said before, I was going to wait two  years at least to move to next gen (if even then).  But based on the weight of this announcement alone and me not knowning anything about PS3, I'm already leaning toward Sony.

I think that "leaning" towards something that you know nothing about, even at this point, is rather unintelligent.  Wait until Sony shows us something about the PS3 before judging.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2005, 07:10:00 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

Brown-noser!

Everyone knows who holds the true power around here: U2K!

Maybe his plan to resurrect the Dreamcast doesn't seem so unrealistic.   :wink:

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2005, 07:11:00 PM »

gellar

Microsoft never promised that it would be wireless out of the box, as far as the network adapter went.  Sony did promise that with the PS3 at one time, but they have since said that they aren't going to do that.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2005, 07:11:40 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
Well, Sony and Microsoft keeps making mistakes left and right regarding their next-gen consoles.  I can't wait to see how Nintendo screws up slywink

I think that it will have something to do with the controller and developer support.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 17, 2005, 07:15:09 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"

gellar

Microsoft never promised that it would be wireless out of the box, as far as the network adapter went.  Sony did promise that with the PS3 at one time, but they have since said that they aren't going to do that.

Yeah... unconfirmed rumours at E3 pointed towards them having it though.  And it made sense to me.

Of course, nothing about the current announcement makes sense to me, so I guess that's par smile

gellar
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2005, 07:15:30 PM »

Graham - Going off!!

IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2005, 07:16:53 PM »

Sony did promise that with the PS3 at one time, but they have since said that they aren't going to do that.

Where did you hear that? As far as I can tell (from the IGN faq, at least), the PS3 will still support a wireless internet connection.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2005, 07:25:03 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"

Sony did promise that with the PS3 at one time, but they have since said that they aren't going to do that.

Where did you hear that? As far as I can tell (from the IGN faq, at least), the PS3 will still support a wireless internet connection.

This was a month or two back.  I think I got it from the INQ, but it named Ken Kutaragi.  I know that I posted about it and made some comment about it sounding like the PSX.

Here are a few links I found in a quick Google search:

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/index.php#ps3ps3router-112366

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/632/632766p1.html

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2005Jul/bga20050712031333.htm

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=10033

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2005, 07:25:22 PM »

OMG, I tune out of this thread for a few days (see my soon-to-be beta testing post to see why), and I had to go back to page 2 to see what everyone was buzzing about!

Quick response, having only skimmed everything:  I'm still IN - can't help myself, if Oblivion is still a 360 game, it's worth the 4 bills to play it - to me.

And I'm 4th in line at my EB pre-order list - behind 3 employees, so it really should be considered #1!!!

Back with more later....  :twisted:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2005, 07:30:58 PM »

And I'm 4th in line at my EB pre-order list - behind 3 employees, so it really should be considered #1!!!

Company policy says they have to fess yours up first...

YRMV - Your Reality May Vary. slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2005, 07:34:02 PM »

For those of you that are choosing to cancel your pre-orders, CafePress now has a shirt for you to buy.  I think it's pretty hilarious.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2005, 07:40:25 PM »

This was a month or two back.  I think I got it from the INQ, but it named Ken Kutaragi.  I know that I posted about it and made some comment about it sounding like the PSX.

Here are a few links I found in a quick Google search:

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/index.php#ps3ps3router-112366

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/632/632766p1.html

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2005Jul/bga20050712031333.htm

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=10033

All I see in those articles is that the PS3 can't be used as a router, not that it won't be able to connect to the internet wirelessly.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: August 17, 2005, 07:44:42 PM »

So, here's a random question - for those of you who preordered (or actually put money down), which version of the console do you have a preorder on now?

Do you think the EBs and Gamestop will transfer your $50 towards the $299 model, or the $399 one?

I gotta hit my store and find out.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 17, 2005, 07:44:55 PM »

Well, as I've said before, I was going to wait two  years at least to move to next gen (if even then).  But based on the weight of this announcement alone and me not knowning anything about PS3, I'm already leaning toward Sony.

I think that "leaning" towards something that you know nothing about, even at this point, is rather unintelligent.  Wait until Sony shows us something about the PS3 before judging.

Hmm. A tad harsh methinks.  I'm not judging anything, as I said before, I'm not even going to get into the next gen for a few more years.  So my leaning is just that...a leaning, not necessarily towards the PS3, but away from 360.

A question for you: A little tense today?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2005, 07:49:34 PM »

What EB and Gamestop should do is call and ask you which one you want to be put on.  Being high up on the list I'm not too worried honestly.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2005, 07:53:07 PM »

Company policy says they have to fess yours up first...
As in give it to me first?  Or as in I can claim #1 place - which might be the same thing, of course!

I'm #1, I'm #1 (I hope)!!!  wOOt!!!!  Still wish I actually knew what wOOt meant, lol..

for those of you who preordered (or actually put money down), which version of the console do you have a preorder on now?
Destructor, surprisingly enough, I actually thought of this myself before I read your post - and it's a great question (*trying to look humble*), which I hope I remember to ask soon...

Chaz, you reading this by any chance?  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2005, 07:56:28 PM »

The big things that consoles always had over PC's was price point and standardization. With PC prices dropping so much over the past several years, it seems terribly foolish to launch a console over 300 bucks.

All these add ons and 2 different base system packages are going to do nothing but create confusion in the customers mind. It also makes the console seem like a money pit. A console should either be able to do something out of the box, or not do it at all.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2005, 07:59:12 PM »

All I see in those articles is that the PS3 can't be used as a router, not that it won't be able to connect to the internet wirelessly.

Point taken, but I think that if they have taken out the router, they won't have wireless built in.  We'll see.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: August 17, 2005, 08:01:09 PM »

I think we'll see Sony cut their own throat trying to bleed off cost.  They'll want to come close to the price of the 360 'kiddie pack'.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2005, 08:01:24 PM »

Hmm. A tad harsh methinks.  I'm not judging anything, as I said before, I'm not even going to get into the next gen for a few more years.  So my leaning is just that...a leaning, not necessarily towards the PS3, but away from 360.

A question for you: A little tense today?

I'm not trying to be harsh in any of my posts.  I just think that it sounds like, "I like liver better than broccoli, even though I have never had liver and don't know what it tastes like."

Yeah, work has been tense today, but again, not trying to be harsh in any posts.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 17, 2005, 08:13:41 PM »

After digesting this a bit, I think the whole thing isn't as shocking as it first seemed.  The biggest issue is that developers won't take full advantage of the HDD, since not all players will have one.  But since all the developers knew this up front, its not like its changing anything.  Oblivion and friends aren't going to be any different after this press release.

So we've got the 360 priced at $400, which isn't all that shocking a price point.  They're gouging us on peripherals, but really, that's not a shock either.

Then we've got the 'Core' system for $340. (Until cheaper 3rd party memory cards come out.)  This system is for suckers, basically.  Maybe there'll be some casual gamers who can save a little cash with this option, but mostly this system is for suckers who'll end up being gouged for the HDD in the future.

For non-casual gamers, the real news is that the 360 is $400 and that the HDD was never intended to be an indispensable tool for 360 games. The HDD is for speeding up load times, downloadable content, custom soundtracks, etc.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 17, 2005, 08:13:48 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
For those of you that are choosing to cancel your pre-orders, CafePress now has a shirt for you to buy.  I think it's pretty hilarious.

Brilliant. biggrin ROFL brilliant. biggrin

Sony is loving this, you know they are. The price point of the PS3 can no comfortably be $350 for the full pack, and then either $250 or $299 for an unbundled pack and they can laugh at Microsoft by saying, "See, we have everything we (kinda) promised without resorting to a bait-and-switch. We don't have two different versions out, nor do we have ridiculously over-priced peripherals that everyone has to have."

Good Lord M$ screwed the pooch on this. I'm now more anxious than ever to be at E3 next year just to see how hard Sony fights back.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 17, 2005, 08:21:17 PM »

EBGames online has this to say in their newsletter today:

In other news, look for Xbox 360 bundle pre-order information in next week’s newsletter!

Looks like next week for online preorders!

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 17, 2005, 08:23:30 PM »

I'm not trying to be harsh in any of my posts.  I just think that it sounds like, "I like liver better than broccoli, even though I have never had liver and don't know what it tastes like."

Except that we know liver is going to perform more or less in the same class as broccoli, and we know liver's history of Japanese developer support, and unique games like Ico and Katamari you wouldn't expect to see on broccoli.  The liver price point, as well as many other things, is still up in the air, so putting all your eggs in the liver basket may be a bit hasty.  But I think we know enough to at least lean towards one or the other.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 17, 2005, 08:29:09 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
After digesting this a bit, I think the whole thing isn't as shocking as it first seemed.  The biggest issue is that developers won't take full advantage of the HDD, since not all players will have one.  But since all the developers knew this up front, its not like its changing anything.  Oblivion and friends aren't going to be any different after this press release.

I don't buy that this was all up front. If it truely was then why would Bethesda be making a RPG for the 360 that they themselves say requires HD. I don't believe they would have done this. This sounds like MS changing their minds over the last few months and then trying to cobble something up that lets them say they have a system for $299 like they have been hinting at for a long time. The marketing of it up to this point looks foolish too now . They showed off the wireless at E3 front and center, they talked about the HD allot. Now both of those are apart of a more expensive deluxe package with the standard $300 one having neither. Not to mention them offering that Silver! Live stuff with it even though allot of the features of it will need the HD. It looks like a mess IMO.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 17, 2005, 08:37:43 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"

Except that we know liver is going to perform more or less in the same class as broccoli, and we know liver's history of Japanese developer support, and unique games like Ico and Katamari you wouldn't expect to see on broccoli.  The liver price point, as well as many other things, is still up in the air, so putting all your eggs in the liver basket may be a bit hasty.  But I think we know enough to at least lean towards one or the other.

Now I have a hankering for some liver. Mmmmm.....liver.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 17, 2005, 08:39:15 PM »

I see alot of people pissin and moaning over the XBL Silver being whats included, but I do remember reading that if you already have a paid XBL subscription it will convert for free to the Gold.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 17, 2005, 08:41:21 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
I don't buy that this was all up front. If it truely was then why would Bethesda be making a RPG for the 360 that they themselves say requires HD. I don't believe they would have done this. This sounds like MS changing their minds over the last few months and then trying to cobble something up that lets them say they have a system for $299 like they have been hinting at for a long time.

DING DING DING!  We have a winner.  I couldn't agree with Jumangi more.  I'm guessing that they knew that getting a console in at the magical $299 price point would be cruical but they couldn't make it work so they scrambled to try and come up with something and this is what they're giving us.  

Ugh.  I had $250 dollars in Best Buy gift cards that I was squirreling away for Xbox360.  Screw it.  I'm going to wait until all three consoles release before I jump in the pool.  I'll just spend the time purchasing used games for the current generation that most people will abandon when the next gens release.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: August 17, 2005, 08:54:07 PM »

would Bethesda be making a RPG for the 360 that they themselves say requires HD

Negative.  I've been told that many developers knew up front that this was the case. (I can't confirm that Bethesda was in that group but they seem to be pretty lynch-pin to the launch of the 360 so I can't imagine they did not)  They would have to design to run without the HDD from the word "Go" but optomize for the HDD.  Its troubling news but apparently its not a surprise to any of them - but they agree with us...it doth suck.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: August 17, 2005, 09:00:26 PM »

Fuck Microsoft and fuck the 360.  They flat-out lied and clearly attempted a bait-and-switch.

I'd have bought a $299 360 that came with a wireless controller and HDD with backward compatibility without a second thought -- and I'm sure plenty of others would too.  Bam, installed market.  The $60 pricepoints for games would have slipped right under my radar -- or at least, I'd be willing to accept them, considering the hardware.

But demanding another $100 for a wireless controller and a 20gb HDD, which you promised in the first place on all systems, along with a wad of shitty hardware I couldn't care less about?  And the HDD isn't even guarenteed to be save-compatible?  Fuck you.

I'd really thought about picking up a 360 -- but after this pricing fiasco, I detest the system and wish the absolute worst for it.  Here's to hoping the consumers realize they just got bitch-slapped by M$.  I'd love to see this piece of shit tank.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2005, 09:03:38 PM »

Jesus Christ. Try decaf.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: