http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 01:21:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 Pre-Release Thread  (Read 17074 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2005, 03:18:03 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Parents don't understand gaming.  At Christmass, with a ton of other expensive stuff to buy, food to buy, etc. they will pick the cheapest way.

So you're saying that Microsoft is responsible for putting the "ass" into Christmass this year?  You speak the truth.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2005, 03:19:40 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
Does anyone know, if component cables are included in either package?

It comes with the $400 version, not the $300.  Supposedly the MS brand component cables will sell for $40 seperately.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2005, 03:24:26 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"

Edited to add - Another worry I have is that now since the X360 "extra package" costs $400, I'm sure Sony won't feel so bad to raise the pricepoint for their console to, what, $400-$500?

I doubt it. My guess is the Sony will release the PS3 for $399 and MS will drop the loaded X-Box 360 package to $350. Any price over $399 is too expensive for all but the most hardcore of gamers (think 3DO). In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 also had a cheaper version available (sans HD) at launch.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2005, 03:24:40 PM »

(slightly modified movie quote)

Fuck Microsoft

Fuck them up their Stupid Asses
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2005, 03:27:37 PM »

(unaltered movie quote)

"WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION NUMBNUTS?!"

Yea, this is not a good trend.  We've figured out the answer to the 'who is this aimed at' question - its aimed at stupid parents.  Sigh....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2005, 03:38:01 PM »

Everyone's homework this weekend is to go to your local game store (one where they won't recognize you) and pose as a gaming illiterate consumer who's interested in buying "that new Xbox" for Timmy this Christmas.  I'm really curious which way the stores are going to steer people.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2005, 03:44:21 PM »

Pics of the packages:

The Big Bundle pack:

The "core" (crap) system:

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2005, 03:45:42 PM »

Well if I can convince my wife NOT to buy it for my birthday this year, I think I'll be OUT. Just for a few months.

LiveTAG: happydog
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2005, 03:56:58 PM »

I think the base should have come with a stock small HDD and the larger package a bigger HDD. That way all games could use the HDD but with the bigger package you could store way more stuff.

One thing I liked about the xbox was no memory card required. If its costs $40 for one for the 360, it seems a waste to not just get the bigger package since for $100 you get the HDD and other stuff so would not need the memory card.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2005, 03:58:50 PM »

If not all games support the HD, wouldn't that mean that even buyers of the more expensive package will need to get a memory card? That would be pretty crappy.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2005, 04:05:12 PM »

All games support the HDD.  Just they are developed where the HDD is not required.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2005, 04:14:00 PM »

Is it just me or does this deluxe box look like a box of plates you would buy from crate and barrel?
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2005, 04:17:26 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
All games support the HDD.  Just they are developed where the HDD is not required.

But only for streaming and saving games right?  I guess that is something but then all you really get with the HDD is faster loading and not having to buy a memory card...

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2005, 04:26:50 PM »

Well I'm sure the guys at Bethesda are loving this deal...
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2005, 04:27:35 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

But only for streaming and saving games right?  I guess that is something but then all you really get with the HDD is faster loading and not having to buy a memory card...

Pretty much.

Sucky.  Really sucky.

gellar
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2005, 04:33:33 PM »

So pissed about this.

You'd think Microsoft could have learned from Sony's failure of selling the hard drive as an optional add-on for the PS2.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2005, 04:40:04 PM »

I think my Op/Ed just about says it all.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2005, 04:50:37 PM »

My initial feelings are on my blog...titled Xbox 360 Price Announced (WTF?) slywink

Xbox Live: AgtFox
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2005, 04:51:38 PM »

I agree with the sheer stupidity of this. I can understand Micro$oft's motives here regarding them having a next-gen at $299 with jack-all on it, but they're delusional regarding everything else. $100 for an optional hard drive? $40 for a 64MB memory card? No wireless in the $299 model?

Micro$oft just guaranteed one thing - that Sony has 6-12 months to completely mock them with their PS3 ad campaign. Unless Sony does something really, really, really stupid, they're currently rolling on the floor laughing at this, and when they calm down they're going to put together a campaign that clearly illustrates how badly M$ just insulted gamers.

I read 1Up's article on things M$ has going for them and things that are alligned against them with the 360 in the Japanese market, and they might have to modify it now to include this. You honestly think Japan will shell out a lot of cash for all those peripherals for a box they kinda trust, when they can wait for 6 months and buy everything at once with the PS3? I think Micro$oft might be in danger of screwing itself once more, despite all the "lessons" they learned from the first round.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2005, 05:01:57 PM »

I'll throw in my agreement that this is a really poor decision by MS.  If nothing else, two versions of the system creates headaches for retailers.  How will those retailers that have taken reservations now separate the two versions?  What happens when one version of the box is available but the other is sold out?

I'm most disappointed because I think MS mislead people at E3.  They pretty much guaranteed the hard drive and wireless controller as standard and now it isn't.  Add this to not knowing the price until 3 months before launch and still not knowing a specific launch date, and I don't think whoever is running this show knows what the hell they are doing.  

The sad thing is that I'm convinced that a $299 system with hard drive and wireless controller would have given MS a really good shot at unseating Sony - now you have to think Sony will prevail again.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2005, 05:02:05 PM »

MS VP Peter Moore says they "absolutely project that the Xbox 360 will outsell the Core System in the early going.  He goes on to say that "we really think the consumer will recognize the value [of the $400 version] and step up."

Recognize the value and step up you fools.  Either that or wait and see how the PS3 and Revolution get priced.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2005, 05:11:40 PM »

I put up another spin on the announcement below my WTF post at my blog talking about who benefits.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2005, 05:16:34 PM »

I recognize the value.  I can afford the console.

I still think dropping what would be nearly $600 on release day (System + 2 games + controller + tax) is absolutely fucking insane.  It's a game console, for fuck's sake.

gellar
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2005, 05:18:34 PM »

gellar, I can see you've never had the pleasure of owning a 3do then. smile
I have, and let me tell you, that huge void in your wallet makes the purchase *extra* special.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2005, 05:19:50 PM »

Did they also announce the price of the games?

Will there be 2 versions of every game? One where you can only see the left side of the screen for $50 and one 'full view' version for $75?  :wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2005, 05:20:45 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"

Will there be 2 versions of every game? One where you can only see the left side of the screen for $50 and one 'full view' version for $75?  :wink:

Games will be $59.95. So stock up now!

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2005, 05:20:59 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"

Good one Devil.  No, they didn't announce prices of games.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2005, 05:22:08 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
gellar, I can see you've never had the pleasure of owning a 3do then. smile
I have, and let me tell you, that huge void in your wallet makes the purchase *extra* special.

I think I was 15 or 16 when it came out, so yeah... I didn't get that pleasure smile

gellar
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2005, 05:26:27 PM »

I just called the Gamestop that I have the Xbox 360 preordered at. They said that when I told them about the two sku's, it was the first they had heard of it.

They couldn't believe that Microsoft would do something like this (split the market) and are pretty pissed. They don't know how they are going to handle the preorder situation and would have to wait from word from corporate to see what the hell they are going to do now.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2005, 05:36:53 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"

I still think dropping what would be nearly $600 on release day (System + 2 games + controller + tax) is absolutely fucking insane.  It's a game console, for fuck's sake.

gellar

Aren't you going to be working for MS soon? Can you call up Bill Gates and tell him I said he sucks? Kthxbye.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2005, 05:41:01 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"

gellar

Aren't you going to be working for MS soon? Can you call up Bill Gates and tell him I said he sucks? Kthxbye.

I'm really hoping my discount works on this now smile.

gellar
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2005, 05:48:45 PM »

Ya know, I'm not sure where all the angst is coming from.  The majority of the stuff included in the $399 bundle are all things I had to purchase separately for this generation, totaling well over $399 per console once it's all said and done... the PS2 for example:

PS2 - $300
Wireless controller - $40
Network Adapter - $40
Headset - $60 (with SOCOM)
Hard Drive - $100
HD Cables - $30
Memory Card ('cuz you can't save games on the PS2 HDD) - $30

($600 for the math-impaired)

Now, if I could have gotten all that stuff bundled for $400 up front, I would have been all over it.

Yeah, it's pricey.  But gaming is a pricey hobby, regardless.  And at least the individual consoles will be spread out this time around... in 2001 buying both the Xbox and GC bundles was a huge strain on the wallet.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2005, 05:50:08 PM »

gellar

Employees don't get the system at a discount, only games and accessories.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2005, 05:50:33 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"

gellar

Employees don't get the system at a discount, only games and accessories.

Bastards.

gellar
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2005, 05:54:51 PM »

Ya know, I'm not sure where all the angst is coming from.

It's cool to hate MS!  biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2005, 05:56:40 PM »

Well, as I've said before, I was going to wait two  years at least to move to next gen (if even then).  But based on the weight of this announcement alone and me not knowning anything about PS3, I'm already leaning toward Sony.

I've got no angst, but agree that this is a bad idea. I'm sure that fiscally this makes sense, but I can't see how they're going to gain market share from Sony as a result unless it's as stated, people buying the cheaper version and driving up the numbers...

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

However, I noticed that few of you (none?) are cancelling your preorders.  Seems hypocritical to denounce the idea and still pony up the cash.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2005, 06:05:34 PM »

I haven't preordered.  HOwever, I'm probably going to buy the 'premium' edition simply because it's what's going to be necessary for me to work on the site.  Hell, I'd love to take donations from folks and pay for it that way, but it ain't gonna happen, and there's no use me dreaming it.  So I'm gonna have to pony up the $400+ and ....accept it.  

I don't like it, but there you go.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2005, 06:06:13 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
However, I noticed that few of you (none?) are cancelling your preorders.  Seems hypocritical to denounce the idea and still pony up the cash.

Actually I just did. Called up EB games over lunch and cancelled it.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2005, 06:10:13 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"

There is always the chance I may cancel.  I haven't done so yet, but we shall see.

Zarkon, you don't have to have a 360 to keep working for the site.  No reason to pony up $400 unless you want to have an Xbox 360 to be honest.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2005, 06:21:50 PM »

I have no problems with this...I was going to be buying a headset, the media remote and the HD cables.  I want the hard drive so for me it is actually a savings to be able to buy the bundle at $399.  I will not be cancelling my preorder.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: