http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 10:38:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 Pre-Release Thread  (Read 17108 times)
Zarkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2005, 12:20:40 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
I work with a guy who was the VP of factory operations for the Xbox division until we stole him away a few months ago - chaos is the word he also uses to describe all of the 360 work that was going on up until he left.  He made it sound like their biggest concern right now was making the box secure on day one - I guess the whole modded Xbox scene was a big black eye for MS internally.  Strangely enough though, he's one of the guys who will be working on helping design some of the security features of our boxes - go figure :-)

It might be a black eye internally, but they need to realize that people are -going- to find a way to mod their system.  Especially the closer to a PC the thing becomes in arcitechture.  I'm by no means advocating piracy, as there are other uses for the Xbox being modded (for example, I use it to watch fansubbed anime and Tivo'd episodes of TV shows).  Other people use it to stream Shoutcast, et al.

Yeah, there are illegal uses for it, but there are as many quasi-legal uses.  I suspect the 360 will end up hacked and modded within six to eight months if not sooner.  PS3 will be the same way, more than likely.  Revolution is anyone's guess considering how long the Gamecube took.  However, they seem to be going with standard DVD IIRC for it, so...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2005, 01:15:05 AM »

I want to know the price goddamnit!!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2005, 01:48:26 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Quote from: "AgtFox"
The announcement tomorrow may not be happening since none of the big 3 Xbox people (Robbie Bach, J. Allard, Peter Moore) are in Germany.  News is here.  Also rumors of a PS2 price drop coming out of Germany.

WARNING: They are saying that the Xbox 360 will be coming out at a far higher price than the Wal-Mart rumor, so take it how you will.

Err...Xbox.com would beg to differ....   biggrin

Check out the main page!

I'll let Bill Harris know...he and I have been going back and forth on this today.  He's the one that pointed out that article I linked.

I'm happy to be #8 at my EB for this.  They said when I pre-ordered (right after E3) that they could only promise 22 systems.  I'm sure that number will go up, but that's what they told me at that point.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2005, 02:30:28 AM »

I am #2 at my Gamestop. I ordered the day after the Microsoft/MTV unveiling of the system.

I've got about $250 paid off already on the system from trading in old games. They give you 20% extra in trade-in value if you trade it for credit on an Xbox 360 preorder...or at least they did the last time I was in...

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2005, 02:49:03 AM »

#8? #2?

Where have you guys been?

#1 at my EB, BABY!!!

I'm pathetic.  :cry:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2005, 04:09:09 AM »

Well, I didn't know they were taking pre-orders and then I was busy that week at work (I think I worked late some days) along with keeping tabs on E3...heh, so 8 is pretty good.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2005, 04:13:04 AM »

Since I dont know where I will be living in November, I have yet to preorder. I know, I suck. Especially given my excitement level.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2005, 08:24:51 AM »

The LA Times has a story up about the price and it appears to be legit:

Copied and pasted from the LA Times Story

Microsoft Corp. said its next-generation Xbox 360 game console would cost $299 to $399 when the device is launched this holiday season.

The $299 version will come with a wired controller, but will not have the 20-gigabyte hard-disc drive, wireless controller, headset, Ethernet cable and wireless television remote control included in the $399 version.

Thoughts?

I think, when it comes down to it, the $399 bundle is a pretty good deal for all the stuff they give you for only $100 more.  But yowza, $400 bucks seems so high frown frown  And the $299 version comes with a wired controller?  I thought wireless was going to be the standard?  If I do get a 360, it *has* to be the $399 one.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2005, 11:26:51 AM »

Wow, if that is true, I am going to say a big WTF at Microsoft!

Wired controller and no hard drive @299??

That is horrible. Will Oblivion even work on an Xbox 360 with no hard drive? I doubt it. This doesn't sound right at all...

Well if it is true, it's the $399 version for me.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2005, 12:46:51 PM »

It's official.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/642/642656p1.html

The Xbox 360 core system -- priced at $299.99 in the United States, ?299.99 in Europe and £209.99 in the U.K. -- will come with the console, a wired controller, faceplate, standard audio-visual cable and an Xbox Live Silver membership. An Xbox Live Silver membership allows you to create a user id, download game content, access the Xbox 360 marketplace and gives Live users the ability to chat with friends. It does not, however, allow users to play games online. To do this, Silver members must upgrade to a Gold membership.

The Xbox 360 fully-loaded system -- priced at $399.99 in the United States, ?399.99 in Europe and £279.99 in the U.K. -- will come complete with the console, a wireless controller, a 20GB detachable hard drive, a faceplate, headset, component HD audio-visual cables, an Ethernet cable, Xbox Live Silver membership and, for a limited time, an Xbox 360 media remote.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2005, 12:49:51 PM »

Loaded. Done. IN!

I would have been buyying a wireless controller, HD cables, headset and remote anyway, so throw in the drive while your at it.

Did they say how much that stuff would cost seperate?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2005, 01:07:29 PM »

Am I crazy for thinking an optional hard drive is the stupidest thing ever?  I read this as "Most games won't take full advantage of the hard drive, since most owners won't have one."

$300 with a HDD on every system would've been a day 1 purchase for me.  Now I think I'll take more of a wait and see approach.  Guess I'm getting the PC version of Oblivion.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2005, 01:57:24 PM »

Here's a list of the accessories:
• Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)
• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)
• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP)
• Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP)
• Play and Charge Kit ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99, 14.99 Euros, 9.99 GBP)
• Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP)
• Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99)
• SCART AV Cable (Europe) (24.99 Euros, 17.99 GBP)
• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

I don't know how excited I am about the 2 SKUs.  I am very interested in hearing why the hard drive would be needed given that they have a base unit without one.  I don't know how willing I am to plop down $400 for the better version...decisions, decisions.

And a wired controller goes against everything they've been talking about so far.  Still no date though, Moore says it is because of "competition".  OK...either you're going to release it November or you're going to push it into next year, just announce the damn date.  Everyone and their brother already have a PS2, so a price drop of that isn't going to affect things too much.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2005, 02:00:19 PM »

I'm not calling it official just because IGN says it is.  I find the lack of hard drive suspect.  Waiting for official confirmation..although I suspect its true.  How stupid.  I think Gedd has it right, why bother shipping the 299 version at all?  No HDD?  Pssh...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2005, 02:01:51 PM »

It's pretty official Ron...Gamespot talked with Peter Moore and that's where I got that list for prices.

The 2 SKUs are:

Xbox 360 Core System - $299 (299 Euros, 209 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•Wired controller
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership
•Standard AV cables

Xbox 360 - $399 (399 Euros, 279 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•20GB detachable hard drive
•Wireless controller
•Wireless Xbox Live headset
•High-definition AV cables
•Ethernet cable
•Xbox 360 Media Remote Control (limited time)
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership

I wonder if high definition cables include an S-Video plug or not since I doubt I'd have an HDTV by this time.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2005, 02:04:06 PM »

Called some contacts who are at the conference - it is official.

Its also officially incredibly stupid and contradicts the E3 announcement that EVERY system will have a HDD.  Jesus, if you can't trust MICROSOFT who can you trust?!  :roll:  :roll:

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2005, 02:04:35 PM »

Biggest rip-off ever?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2005, 02:09:03 PM »

Probably why they want you to buy the $400 version...heh.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2005, 02:10:23 PM »

I am glad I had decided to wait.  By waiting a year I know the 360 will drop in price to compete with the release of the PS3.  

On a side note does this now put MS in the same catagory for gamers as Sony?  I remember when the specs were tossed around for the PS3 that many gamers said they didn't believe them because Sony was know for lying.  Now it appears MS wants a bit of that reputation as well.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2005, 02:13:39 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"

Biggest rip-off ever?

I will be waiting to see how the system is cracked to take a larger HD.   If they hackers work fast you can have a $299 system and put in a 120 GB drive for only $60 more instead of $100 for a 20GB one!

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2005, 02:15:46 PM »

I'm just in awe at how stupid this move is.  Just like the MTV special, its not aimed at gamers.  So thus far we have MS not aiming at gamers and the PS3 isn't aimed at gamers and both of them lying through their teeth.  Who the hell are they selling these things to??

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2005, 02:16:08 PM »

Yup, I think this is one of the dumbest ideas in a long time.  To quote one of the guys from the article:

Michael Pachter, of Wedbush Morgan Securities, wasn't as cheerful. He sees the $299 model as a "publicity stunt." "They're doing it to say they are launching at $299. The hardcore guys will absolutely not buy the $299 model...Only a complete idiot would buy the $299 model."

They've just about guaranteed that no game will take advantage of the hard drive.  Even if 75% of the market buys the higher-priced SKU, now game makers and retailers have to worry about the whole "Hard Drive Required" issue, so consumers don't end up buying the wrong games (and they will).  I doubt many will be willing to do that.

They need to seriously rethink the idea of releasing that lower-priced system.  Wired controller? No hard drive? I mean they won't even throw a $1 ethernet cable in there?  This is what they're willing to split up their install base for?

This is a stunt, plain and simple, designed so that MS can say that you can get the 360 for $299, even though no one is going to want *that* unit. It also gives them some room to lower the $399 price when the PS3 comes out in an attempt to steal headlines (again).

Biggest rip-off ever?

I completely agree.  $100 for a 20GB hard drive in this day and age is an absolute scam.  It's like they're doing it to justify the $399 price tag.  "Look, for the cost of just the hard drive, you get all this other stuff!"
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2005, 02:21:13 PM »

It's stupid.

Still IN!

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2005, 02:21:45 PM »

The $299 unit is essentially $340 since you'll have to buy the $40 memory card.  Ridiculous.
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2005, 02:25:57 PM »

Wait? So we can't play games online right out of the box? You need to upgrade your live membership? How much is that going to cost?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2005, 02:31:32 PM »

Well, talking with several devs this morning they reassure me that all games will run better off the HDD and are already set to allow that 'streaming'.  That said, several of them have expressed their dismay that MS went this way.  Looks like Mr. Moore is the only one who thinks this is a good idea.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2005, 02:32:23 PM »

The prices on those peripherals is also totally insane.

40 dollars for a standard controller?
100 dollars for wireless networking?
40 dollars for a 64 meg memory card? (I just bought a 256 meg usb flash drive for 20 bucks, give me a break)

It also strikes me as pretty shitty that they are forcing all games to run in HD, but only supplying normal AV cables with the 300 dollar system.

I must say i'm really happy to see they are offering a 1st party VGA cable though. This was one of the best features of the dreamcast and its nice to see the other consoles finnaly catching on.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2005, 02:35:26 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Well, talking with several devs this morning they reassure me that all games will run better off the HDD and are already set to allow that 'streaming'.  That said, several of them have expressed their dismay that MS went this way.  Looks like Mr. Moore is the only one who thinks this is a good idea.

Can you ask how long the devs have known?  I'm guessing that for the launch window games, most found it prudent to support it with or without HDD since there was likely some question whether it would be standard.  But what happens for second generation games?  Will it be worth devoting the programming resources to supporting the HDD then?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2005, 02:40:21 PM »

The wife is gonna kill me when I tell her that all in all I will be spending like $600 on launch day heh.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2005, 02:40:32 PM »

Quote from: "angrycoder"

It also strikes me as pretty shitty that they are forcing all games to run in HD, but only supplying normal AV cables with the 300 dollar system.

But considering most people still don't actually have HD capability, packing in an adapter many people have no need for into *every* box doesn't make sense.  Just because all the games are supposed to run in HD doesn't mean everyone will play them that way.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2005, 02:40:40 PM »

Ugh.  I'll probably still buy it but it bothers me that they were deceptive about the price.

And no hard drive in the $299 version is like issuing a challenge to hackers/modders.  I'll probably wait 6 months and see what happens now.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2005, 02:40:44 PM »

I also think this will help/encourage hackers.

With an optional HD you have to make it really easy to swap.  Sure it wasn't a big deterent but having to pop open your Xbox and do some digging to get the HD out to swap it did stop some folks from modding.  Now that is gone becuase the HD has to be swapable easily and without voiding the warrenty.

So now they just need to come up with a mod-chip and they can hack the whole thing.

And just generally having two versions will encourage hacking becuase people want to buy the cheaper version.  Then if a mod-chip is only $60 or so (what they are for the Xbox) then they can get a lot more from the 360 without having to buy the expensive version!  Yeah

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2005, 02:59:42 PM »

ust hit me, too. From what I recall, Xbox backwards-compatability requires software emulation. Wouldn't that also require the hard drive? Dosen't that also mean that the $299 version is NOT backwards compatible without spending another $100 anyway? Add in the point that if you buy the 'base' version, you can just forget about playing Final Fantasy XI, as it'll require the hard drive as well...

Again...bad move, Microsoft.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2005, 03:00:37 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"

Biggest rip-off ever?

I will be waiting to see how the system is cracked to take a larger HD.   If they hackers work fast you can have a $299 system and put in a 120 GB drive for only $60 more instead of $100 for a 20GB one!

Not quite.. By looking at the size of the thing I highly doubt its gonna use a standard desktop pc drive, more likely a laptop type of drive and 120GB laptop drives are running ~$250 and 60GB drives go from ~90 - 150 depending on rpm.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2005, 03:03:56 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
The $299 unit is essentially $340 since you'll have to buy the $40 memory card.  Ridiculous.

Very true.

And 64MB just doesn't cover it nowadays as far as save space goes. I know that there are lots of games out there that you can't copy over to the never-used memory card that the Xbox has (what, 8MB?).

This was one of the dumbest moves EVER by Microsoft. Period. The $299 system is an utter ripoff, done only so Microsoft can say that they have a new console for $299.

I agree with the news article on the front page 100%.

And angrycoder - I recently bought a 1GB USB drive for under $100. It's one of those ultra-tiny (seriously not bigger than two quarters side-by-side) ones, too. $40 for 64MB is embarrasing.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2005, 03:04:40 PM »

I always was suspicious of the reason why the X-Box 360 would have a detachable HD. I guess now we know why.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2005, 03:05:38 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Ugh.  I'll probably still buy it but it bothers me that they were deceptive about the price.

Curiously... I don't recall MS ever saying what the price would be, rather fan sites speculated... how does this make them deceptive?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2005, 03:09:20 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Quote from: "warning"

Curiously... I don't recall MS ever saying what the price would be, rather fan sites speculated... how does this make them deceptive?

Did I say price?  Huh?  I meant hard drive.  Typing while sleepy = bad.

------

In related news Sony gives Microsoft a great big hug and screams "THANK YOU" at the top of their lungs.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2005, 03:11:05 PM »

This is just stolen from a post on Evil Avatar but rather than retype it and make it look like my own thoughs I decided to cut and paste to at least give the original poster credit - even if they never come here.

Originally Posted by kokyunage
I think this pretty much fucks them with the parents come Christmas time.

Parent: "Is that extra stuff required?"
Salesman: "No, you can purchase them later on if need be"
Parent: "Do games require a hard drive?"
Salesman: "No"
Parent: "Ok, little Jake doesn't need wireless. He's been fine with all our previous corded consoles. I'll take the cheaper one and a game"
Salesman: "Ok, good choice ma'am"

Stores/Salesmen DO NOT have any incentive to push the more expensive package. They make pennies on the complete set. The parents can come back later to buy the accessories which they make more of a margin on. Remember, many clueless parents actually trust the salesman advice in their local mall Gamestop/EB.

Parents don't understand gaming.  At Christmass, with a ton of other expensive stuff to buy, food to buy, etc. they will pick the cheapest way.

After all they will both play all the games so the extra stuff is just that - extra.

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2005, 03:14:40 PM »

You know, I find the HD issue a bit of a shame. I think, if anything, the XBox had it right to actually include a HD with its console. It was the next logical step.

Now, though, it feels like we're going backwards again. And... blergh. Well, I'll get that $400 version (ouch). It'll hurt a bit, since I was really counting for the to be $300.

Does anyone know, if component cables are included in either package?

Edited to add - Another worry I have is that now since the X360 "extra package" costs $400, I'm sure Sony won't feel so bad to raise the pricepoint for their console to, what, $400-$500?

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: