http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 03:00:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBox 360 or PS3  (Read 684 times)
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2012, 03:53:59 PM »

Don't know anything about consoles.
Could use some input and guidance here.

Is one of the above a clear leader in performance and number of titles, or just a matter of preference?
Are there any differences in the systems?

Had a look on the week end but they look similar. The Xbox seems to have a better looking controller and maybe more sturdy, but both seem to have lots of popular titles to choose from.
Both are priced the same and look basically the same.

I know I could go on line and read all the hype, but hearing from actual users IMO is the only way to go.

Thanx all.

Byte me
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »

Are you planning to play online multiplayer? If yes, are you willing to pay more money to do so?
Would a Blu-Ray player have value to you?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 04:30:50 PM »

There are many variables and much of it depends on you and the kind of gaming you are looking at doing. I did a quick search and found this Squidoo article which seems to touch on the salient points... ignoring the comments that follow, of course. And it has a link to some graphics comparisons between the two systems at the end.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 04:41:04 PM »

The games themselves are pretty equal down the line, as far as content goes. Xbox has your Halo, Gears, and Forza games, but other than that, their first-party selection tends to be a bit lacking as of late. Playstation has a ton more first party content, with Infamous, Heavy Rain, Twisted Metal, Killzone, God of War, and tons of others. Plus, if you watch a lot of movies and want to start buying Blu-rays, the system will play those in addition to games, which is a nice touch. Also, online play and use of apps like Netflix and Hulu is free on PS3 (other than whatever subscription fee those apps entail), and the paid subscription (PS+) is actually amazing, getting you tons of discounts and free full games. Within a year of subscribing to PS+ I've gotten free copies of Little Big Planet 2, Infamous, Borderlands, among dozens of others, and they're available for you to play as long as you maintain a $50 a year subscription (which for what you get, is peanuts).

This late in the game you don't have too much about future exclusives as far as DLC is concerned. Most games which had huge lockouts on one system or another have had their contracts lapse, and additional content is pretty equal down the board. Occasionally the PS3 will end up with an inferior version of a game (such as Bayonetta or Skyrim) because many games are coded for the 360 and then ported over (as Xbox is the more popular platform).

Honestly, with the new consoles looming on the horizon, it's mostly down to a cost-benefit ratio. If you're into Kinect and are looking to play multiplayer games with your friends over Xbox Live (as most of my friends do), then the Xbox is probably going to be the best choice, but realize that you'll be paying for basic features that come free on PS3. If you want an all-in-one media device with free online and services and some decent first-party games that, while imperfect, tend to take more chances than their competitors, go for the PS3. If you asked me this question a few years ago, I'd say the Xbox, but right now, if I had to choose one, I'd go with a PS3, just because it does way more than the Xbox for free, and other than first-party titles, most other games are virtually the same experience on both consoles.

Hope this helps. biggrin

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 04:45:19 PM »

PC slywink

I suppose it all depends on what type of games you like.  for me:

PS3 doesn't charge for online but never bothered since not enough MP action around here, has blu ray and a really nice blu ray remote.  controller is meh but also has a couple of exclusives that made me put up with it.  granted sequels to said exclusives didn't do much for me (looking at you InFamOUs 2 and Uncharted 3).  Move is interesting but seems under utilized.  if you have pets you might want to avoid the super slim model that just came out, since it is a top loader and looks like it might be a pain keeping hair out of.

360 charges for online but has more players around here, plus it has more comfortable controller.  Kinect voice control is nice but actual motion controls can be hit or miss.  has had hardware issues, more so for some.

I've had both consoles die on me once each.  the 360 was under warranty so it got replaced, the PS3 wasn't so it didn't, but I'll probably get one again at some point after the Wii U comes out.

also, don't forget Holiday deals are coming up, so waiting a bit might get you a good bundle.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 10:43:39 PM »

I have both but much prefer my PS3.  About the only exclusives on 360 I play are on Live Arcade which really limits the amount of time I spend with the system.  I also refuse to pay for LIVE which means PS3 is my multiplayer console option.  

I also use my PS3 as an all-around media center so that is also a plus.  Blue Ray player, Netflix streaming as well as streaming from my PC.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 12:36:05 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on October 20, 2012, 10:43:39 PM

I have both but much prefer my PS3.  About the only exclusives on 360 I play are on Live Arcade which really limits the amount of time I spend with the system.

Same here.  It's funny because 360 used to be my choice of console, but the dashboard has progressively gotten crappier and crappier and I hate all the ads on it.  So now I switched to preferring the PS3.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 12:46:31 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 21, 2012, 12:36:05 AM

I have both but much prefer my PS3.  About the only exclusives on 360 I play are on Live Arcade which really limits the amount of time I spend with the system.

Same here.  It's funny because 360 used to be my choice of console, but the dashboard has progressively gotten crappier and crappier and I hate all the ads on it.  So now I switched to preferring the PS3.

I have both and prefer the 360 but play both but really the PC wins hands down.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 02:33:18 AM »

My PS3 is a blu-ray player, and a media streaming box.

It can play games, but it rarely does.

I disagree with the PS3 Exclusives > 360 Exclusives ... at this point, I'd say the more relevant exclusives are the 360s, but not enough to worry about. The PS3 has basically stayed the same since 2005, whereas the 360 has evolved. There are motion control games for both platforms, and all are generally uncompelling. If you find you'd like to have rhythm / dancing games (Dance Central 3 is looming) then the Kinect makes sense, or if Fable caught your eye.

The 360 is about to get smartglass upgrade (where tablets and smartphones incl. iphone, ipad, android, and windows 8 can act as an added interface for your game), and Halo 4 is looking fantastic. With Forza and Fable both reviewed positively here, it's not a bad way to go.

I think the only PS3 exclusive I go back to once in a while is Infamous. But that's just me, and I don't think either selection is wrong. Just matching it to your interest is the key.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 03:05:46 AM »

I'd learn towards the PS3 myself but really need more information to help you.  Do you want RPGs, Action, Platform, Racing, Sports, etc?  Do you care about motion control/kinect type controls or games?  Do you have any preferences towards older games?  Do you need another (or the first) blu-ray player?  If you played the PS or PS2 then the PS3 controller may be much more familiar and user friendly to you.

Here's a list of PS3 exclusives http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_3-only_games and there's also a link to 360 exclusives on that page as well.

Basically with no game preference and initial cost being the same:

Strong multiplayer (costs $40-60/year extra though), no blu-ray needed, superior kinect motion control - 360
Nice blu-ray, free online, free "media" center, avg at best multiplayer, reputation for being more reliable (hardware) - PS3

Honestly, go to Best Buy if you can and play the demo units of both or hit friends up that have one or the other.  It's close enough at this point that it's mostly personal preference.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 04:10:21 PM »

Quote from: ericb on October 22, 2012, 03:05:46 AM

Nice blu-ray, free online, free "media" center, avg at best multiplayer, reputation for being more reliable (hardware) - PS3

FWIW, the 360 has DLNA support, as well as being a Windows Media Center extender.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 06:05:22 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 21, 2012, 12:36:05 AM

That's exactly how I feel too.  My 360 was my main gaming platform, but paying for xbox live feels like a revenue gold mine for microsoft, at my expense.  Not having to pay to stream Netflix on my PS3 is huge.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 06:10:31 PM »

Still prefer the Xbox for gaming.  And the new dashboard has made this easier for me, actually.

But I do all of my media watching on the PS3.  Apart from HBO Go, but only because they don't have it yet.

Every once in awhile, I have to remind myself that I can play games on the PS3, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 01:29:52 AM »

Thanks for all the input and pointing out a lot of things to consider.

The console I choose will be used primarily for single player games.

I use the PC for multiplay and I have a blue ray so that is not an issue.Future connection to hi-tech devices like iPad, iPhone also not an issue.
Not interested in paying for on-line play.

It will be primarily used to get through the droughts that seem to be occurring in the PC market. Seems that most games are diverting to downloads as opposed to
actual boxed content. I know I am probably a dinosaur but still like the boxed edition to add to my library. Although most boxed editions are getting skimpier the really
good games still seem to give you some great boxed content. ie: the new XCOM, Skyrim, the Fallouts to name a few.

So I guess I am looking for great graphics, good single or two player games, good easy to use, durable controllers.  Also hopefully a system that they are not going to
drastically change in the near future and make everything previously bought incompatible.

Thanks again for all the valuable information.

Byte me
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 08:42:54 PM »

So......?
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 09:08:38 PM »

Quote from: ANZAC on October 23, 2012, 01:29:52 AM

So I guess I am looking for great graphics, good single or two player games, good easy to use, durable controllers.  Also hopefully a system that they are not going to
drastically change in the near future and make everything previously bought incompatible.

The 360 and PS3 aren't going to change much, if at all, between now and the launch of the next generation consoles.  But that's something to consider - chances are both Sony and MS will release new consoles late next year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: