http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 08:28:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 on an All-in-Wonder?  (Read 745 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2006, 12:28:08 AM »

Anyone know if you can hook up an xbox 360 to a radeon all-in-wonder? I'm looking at getting the 2006 edition ($169 at best buy) to replace my screwed up onboard video (can't get it past 64mb onboard even though the box says up to 256mb can be allocated for onboard sharing) and was thinking of just putting my xbox 360 alongside my computer and hooked up to the same monitor.
ATI has always been known for their multimedia capabilities so I'm thinking maybe there's even AV inputs on the new all-in-wonders? I know back in the old days (years ago) when I last had one I hooked up my ps2 through the RF and could play it on my computer monitor. Nowhere near as good as AV, which is nowhere near as good as high-definition, but in this situation it'd help a lot.
Anyone try something similiar of having both your PC and 360 hooked up to the same monitor?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 12:57:56 AM »

I used to have my Xbox connected to my PC via a 9800 All In Wonder card.  The image quality for the xbox was very bad.  You would be better of getting the VGA cable for the 360 and a VGA switchbox.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 01:52:22 AM »

So there are component AV connections on the all-in-wonder?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 04:45:17 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
So there are component AV connections on the all-in-wonder?

I used the SVideo connection.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 05:37:16 AM »

The 360 has a VGA adapater, so you can plug it directly into your monitor, a much, much better solution then trying to run it through the ATI All in Wonder, and having it upconvert the 360's resolution to your monitor.  I'd bet you'd experience some delay that way too.

I have an ATI All in Wonder, as it was the best deal at Newegg at the time for my video card, and I've never been impressed with the video functions at all.  If its a good deal, by all means, but the "Wonder" part is pretty blah.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/258837.asp

Works very well to my Dell 2005, and lets you select from a lot of resolutions.  I'd definitely recommend it.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 04:55:21 AM »

I was really hoping to avoid having to put down an extra $60 on the VGA adapter and switch box and just be able to play it through the all-in-wonder.
The graphics can't be that bad, can they?

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 05:57:36 AM »

Interestingly enough, lik-sang.com has a VGA adapter for about $12 USD.  I suspect the price of the MS adapter is more markup than anything.

Perhaps third party VGA cables will be coming out soon?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 02:23:59 PM »

I was really hoping to avoid having to put down an extra $60 on the VGA adapter and switch box and just be able to play it through the all-in-wonder.

Your ATI card will output at 320x240 resolution (the normal TV resolution).

Simply going to 480p is 640x480, if I remember right. 720i is something like 1280x720 resolution.

It's a drastic difference going from standard TV resolution to something much, much higher.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 02:53:47 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Your ATI card will output at 320x240 resolution (the normal TV resolution).

Simply going to 480p is 640x480, if I remember right. 720i is something like 1280x720 resolution.

Normal TV resolutin is 640x480 (480i).  320x240 is VCR resolution.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 02:55:35 PM »

It's a drastic difference going from standard TV resolution to something much, much higher.

I second that.  The best quality will be the VGA adapter.  The All in Wonder doesn't even have component hookups, unless that latest one does.  So you're comparing s-video signals at a significantly lower resolution, vs a much better VGA resolution.  The 360 on a good monitor looks incredible.

Save money and get a cheaper video card, and then buy the VGA adapter.  Otherwise, the 360 will look worse then a PS2, if that good.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: