http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 11:45:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 - no DVI support?  (Read 1584 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2005, 05:09:21 PM »

According to the main news site Xbox 360 won't support DVI and has no plans for it. I also picked up a great 27" widescreen monitor and was hoping I could hook up the Xbox 360 in all it's glory to it.
What a real shame if this turns out to be true.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 05:25:21 PM »

I'm hearing rumor that there will be a DVI addon pack that will be available at or about launchtime.  I'll keep ya posted...

It'd be a pretty glaring oversight though, wouldn't it?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 06:10:19 PM »

So if it did have DVI output does that mean I could plug it into my Dell 1905FP which has DVI input and it would display correctly or would there be some stretching?
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 06:17:04 PM »

DVI is so old school.  Will it support HDMI?
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 06:36:38 PM »

The retail training site MS has for XBox now has XBox360 training quizzes and two of them are devoted to X360 accessories.  They only list HD, S-Vid, Standard RCA, and VGA hookup cables at this time.  However the number of accessory items they say will be available at launch is larger than the number of items they currently provide training for so it's possible DVI or other connection options are coming.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 03:00:04 PM »

Quote from: "skystride"
DVI is so old school.  Will it support HDMI?

DVI -> HDMI Cable FTW!

gellar
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 05:21:52 PM »

Few TVs support DVI either, I don't find this surprising at all.  HDMI Is the TV thing.  So the question is will it support HDMI?

My TV has DVI in, but only because I was specifically looking for it.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 05:31:28 PM »

Guys... DVI can be converted to HDMI with a simple cable.

gellar
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 05:38:32 PM »

Had to pick up a DVI to HDMI cable because of my cable box -- If the new XBox has HDMI than you can pick up the HDMI to DVI cable for pretty cheap money on EBay.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2005, 02:04:37 AM »

How do you know which DVI to HDMI connector you need? I've looked on ebay and they have male on female, female on female, and EVEN MALE ON MALE!
That's great though if we can take our old DVI and make it compatible with HDMI. Don't want this 27" widescreen to go to waste with the new HDMI beginning to become the standard.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2005, 01:44:19 AM »

Huh, hadn't heard of HDMI yet...my TV has DVI and 2 component inputs, dont think i saw HDMI listed.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2005, 03:33:11 AM »

Yeah I haven't heard of HDMI either until recently. Supposed to be a way to combine video and audio all into one cable to make it easier on us, as DVI is video only. I'm real curious about this adapter though, if we can make our DVI monitors/tvs support HDMI, that'd be awesome. HDMI I imagine will begin replacing DVI sooner than later quicklky becoming the new standard for TV's, just as AGP video cards started replacing PCI cards (now PCI Express replacing AGP), or DVDS started replacing VHS. Technology keeps getting better and better, at our expense, of course

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2005, 08:43:02 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
How do you know which DVI to HDMI connector you need? I've looked on ebay and they have male on female, female on female, and EVEN MALE ON MALE!

You can look at the pins (if they have them).  Just like human anatomy, the males have the parts sticking out, while the females have holes to accept them.  :lol:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Voice of Reason
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 02:12:47 PM »

When people talk of converting DVI to HDMI or vice versa they are only talking about converting the video signal.  If your game system (or DVD player or set top box) has HDMI output and your TV only has DVI input then getting a cable that allows the two to connect is only going to get you the video signal.  You would still have to hook up audio cables seperately.  Personally, I don't see what the big deal w/ HDMI is.  If you have a good setup you're going to be running a reveiver of some sort for audio, so you're going to have one cable going to the TB for video and one to the receiver for audio anyway.  With HDMI would I have to run everything first to the TV and then send the audio signal to the receiver?  Sounds like an extra place for the signal to get degraded to me.

For the guy w/ the 27" HDTV, I'm sure it has component inputs, so you won't really be missing out on the higher resolutions.  When I played around with component vs DVI inputs on my 50" Sony LCD rear projection I didn't find a huge difference in quality.  The DVI image was a tiny tiny bit sharper but not enough that anyone would ever notice.

Live tag: VoR Cobra
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005, 07:10:19 PM »

First of all, DVI has a decent market penetration. If you look through HDTVs, you'll find quite a few big name companies support DVI. My Sony 51"RPTV (was returned for unrelated flaw), Sony VVega 30 CRT HDTV, Hitachi 51" and (IIRC) the Toshiba 46" RPTV all had DVI connections. Of course, a 4:3 aspect low-def tv ain't gonna have DVI; there's no point. slywink

Everything you wanted to know about DVI, but were afraid to ask.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: