http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 12:52:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBox 360 Media Connect - Anyone actually running it?  (Read 1381 times)
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2006, 05:46:09 AM »

I've probably tried about 5x since I got the thing to get it up and running... it worked ONCE (though I'm not entirely sure why), and hasn't since.

I have now uninstalled it.  It frustrated me to no end.

gellar
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 05:50:31 AM »

I've been running it for a couple of weeks now with no issues over my wireless network.

It streams music really well, though I haven't tested it with pictures.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 05:57:14 AM »

I couldn't get it to work...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 06:59:45 AM »

I've got an open ticket with MS to figure out why I can stream mp3s but not video of any sort.  Sucks since I'm using Media Center.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 07:01:20 AM »

no, I dont have xp media center.  Just vanilla xp.  I refuse to pay more for media center.

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 11:06:45 AM »

I'm using it on XP SP2.  It takes a couple of minutes to sort through my catalog of music and pictures (the only things I've set it to share), but then it's up and running, and works very well at streaming both.

I was kind of annoyed that my iTunes playlists weren't readable, but I got over it and created some new ones just for the 360.

Oh, and if you've disabled uPnP, you'll need to turn it back on for Media Connect to work.  I had done that a while back since I didn't have anything else that required it and didn't want to leave it on.  After some initial frustration at getting Media Connect to work, I saw this someplace on the web and turned it back on.  That was the only hiccup I had in the whole process.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 11:45:15 AM »

Quote from: "DonD"
I'm using it on XP SP2.  It takes a couple of minutes to sort through my catalog of music and pictures (the only things I've set it to share), but then it's up and running, and works very well at streaming both.

I was kind of annoyed that my iTunes playlists weren't readable, but I got over it and created some new ones just for the 360.

Oh, and if you've disabled uPnP, you'll need to turn it back on for Media Connect to work.  I had done that a while back since I didn't have anything else that required it and didn't want to leave it on.  After some initial frustration at getting Media Connect to work, I saw this someplace on the web and turned it back on.  That was the only hiccup I had in the whole process.

What is uPnP?
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 12:07:53 PM »

It works fine for me, I use it all the time XP Sp2 -wired-linksys

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 12:12:22 PM »

Before I had XP Media CEnter Edition, I had Media Connect running just fine.  Now, I have Media Center Edition running just fine, although I did have an issue with getting that one set up, but eventually got it working.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 02:27:05 PM »

worked fine until I installed Nintendo's wireless nub thingie on my computer.
Hasn't worked since!

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 02:29:20 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
I've been running it for a couple of weeks now with no issues over my wireless network.

It streams music really well, though I haven't tested it with pictures.

Same here. WinXP SP2 with Windows Media Connect. Works great, streams music and pictures wirelessly perfectly.

I can't figure out how to make playlists though. The 360 doesn't reconize my Winamp playlists, and you can't make playlists without having ripped the music CD itself to the 360's HD.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 02:49:17 PM »

Haven't tried the Media Connect thing but I do have my 2GB USB flash drive plugged into the 360 USB port.  Works like a dream.  I was actually surprised how well it worked with everything nested in different folders and everything.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 03:38:31 PM »

I use it with two different PCs and haven't had any problems at all.  That said, the music player interface blows...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 04:24:14 PM »

Yeah I've tried every troubleshooting tip they have... and I'm still boned.  It just flat out won't work.

gellar
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 04:36:58 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
no, I dont have xp media center.  Just vanilla xp.  I refuse to pay more for media center.

I don't have media center either. It still lets you do music and pictures. You just can't do video.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 05:11:11 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Haven't tried the Media Connect thing but I do have my 2GB USB flash drive plugged into the 360 USB port.  Works like a dream.  I was actually surprised how well it worked with everything nested in different folders and everything.

you can't play videos off an external usb hard drive connected to the 360, can you?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
bluvasa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 05:25:44 PM »

I use audio streaming a lot on my 360.  The only hassel is having to change my file names and ID3 tags.  I just started using Musicmatch to rename my files and it should take me the rest of the week to finish.

I'm contemplating just reripping all of my CDs so it will do it automatically.

As for streaming video:  The only way to stream video is if you have Windows MCE.  You can't stream Divx or xvid, though.  There are a couple apps out there that will reencode your Divx movies on the fly though you still need MCE.  

It looks like I will continue to stream my movies to my Xbox 1.  She's not useless yet :wink:
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 05:26:12 PM »

I use both the Media Connect and Media Center Extender features quite a bit on my 360... I'll occasionally have a hiccup where the 360 doesn't recognize my MCE box, but a computer reboot usually fixes it.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 07:09:38 PM »

Quote from: "bluvasa"
I use audio streaming a lot on my 360.  The only hassel is having to change my file names and ID3 tags.  I just started using Musicmatch to rename my files and it should take me the rest of the week to finish.

I'm contemplating just reripping all of my CDs so it will do it automatically.

As for streaming video:  The only way to stream video is if you have Windows MCE.  You can't stream Divx or xvid, though.  There are a couple apps out there that will reencode your Divx movies on the fly though you still need MCE.  

It looks like I will continue to stream my movies to my Xbox 1.  She's not useless yet :wink:

Welcome to the site Bluvasa!  As for Divx and xvid, you are right.  I was able to stream both to the 360 prior to a reload of Media Center - it just hasn't been right since. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 11:36:09 PM »

Quote from: "hepcat"
You can't play videos off an external usb hard drive connected to the 360, can you?

I don't think so, just pics and music.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 03:07:15 PM »

Quote from: "The_Man"

What is uPnP?

I'm not really sure, but this site was linked to at one time in a thread about computer security (can't remember but it may have been when GG was still around): http://www.grc.com/

One of the tools on the site is an enabler/disabler of uPnP, which it recommended disabling.  I did it at that time and forgot about it.  Here's a page link:  http://www.grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 03:49:24 PM »

Weird, I didnt know you could run it with normal XP, that is pretty cool!

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 04:01:24 PM »

Quote from: "The_Man"

What is uPnP?

I'm not really sure, but this site was linked to at one time in a thread about computer security (can't remember but it may have been when GG was still around): http://www.grc.com/

One of the tools on the site is an enabler/disabler of uPnP, which it recommended disabling.  I did it at that time and forgot about it.  Here's a page link:  http://www.grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm

Here's the skinny

UnPlug n' Pray
Universal Plug & Play management  

At the end of 2001, Microsoft revealed a critical defect in Windows XP and ME: Windows' Universal Plug and Play service (UPnP) would allow a malicious hacker to remotely take over any system that was running and exposing the UPnP service to the Internet. This UnPlug n' Pray utility lets anyone check for the presence of the dangerous UPnP service in their system, then easily and safely enable and disable it as needed.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 04:23:45 PM »

I forgot to mention my one complaint with using the 360 to stream from MCE.  It seems to cut off the very end of songs.  I would guess it is something like the last second or three of a song.  Not sure why it does it, but it does.  Maybe I will look on the Google and see if anyone else had the problem and has fixed it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: