http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 08:08:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 - Massive Shortages at Launch  (Read 18224 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 14, 2005, 03:29:01 AM »

Green paper, nice touch.  And if they had like, pizza or donuts or something to go along with those refreshments I'd TOTALLY be there.

TheMissingLink on PSN
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 14, 2005, 04:41:43 AM »

You must 'remain present'?   Does that mean you have to stay there from 10 in the morning until midnight, or does that mean you brings your ticket back at midnight and pick it up?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 14, 2005, 04:43:35 AM »

oh nevermind. ....   it says 10 PM...not 10 AM.

lol
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 14, 2005, 05:23:22 AM »

Quote from: "msduncan"
You must 'remain present'?   Does that mean you have to stay there from 10 in the morning until midnight, or does that mean you brings your ticket back at midnight and pick it up?

You ought to see the idea the Einsteins at my Wal Mart cooked up.  At 2:00 PM on the 21st, they're going to put out 30 chairs.  At midnight, those that are in the chairs will get the thirty 360s that they have.  They did the same thing when the original Xbox came out and a buddy of mine went and said it was a fiasco.  Supposedly, you couldn't get anyone to sit in your chair for you and they would only allow you 5 minute bathroom breaks every so often.

Like someone else said, crap like this always favors the unemployed or student type and pretty much eliminates the working man from participating.  I don't see why they don't just do a lottery system.  It makes the most sense to me.  If 400 people show up, then everyone draws a number.  Then either draw the numbers out of a hat or if you don't have 1-30, you go home.  You could take care of something like that in less than an hour instead of having to fool with sitting there for 10-12 hours.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 14, 2005, 06:57:52 AM »

Quote from: "The_Man"
Quote from: "msduncan"

You ought to see the idea the Einsteins at my Wal Mart cooked up.  At 2:00 PM on the 21st, they're going to put out 30 chairs.  At midnight, those that are in the chairs will get the thirty 360s that they have.  They did the same thing when the original Xbox came out and a buddy of mine went and said it was a fiasco.  Supposedly, you couldn't get anyone to sit in your chair for you and they would only allow you 5 minute bathroom breaks every so often.

Like someone else said, crap like this always favors the unemployed or student type and pretty much eliminates the working man from participating.  I don't see why they don't just do a lottery system.  It makes the most sense to me.  If 400 people show up, then everyone draws a number.  Then either draw the numbers out of a hat or if you don't have 1-30, you go home.  You could take care of something like that in less than an hour instead of having to fool with sitting there for 10-12 hours.

Yeah, what your thing is doing is pretty stupid. Sorry man.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: November 14, 2005, 03:56:12 PM »

Bah, first come, first serve!

Did I mention I have next monday and tuesday off? I have almost 3 weeks of use it or lose it vacation time left this year. As good a use for it as any. Tongue

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 14, 2005, 04:23:32 PM »

First come first served.  Always.  The lottery system screwed me a couple times for concert tickets, back in the old days before the internet.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 14, 2005, 04:31:40 PM »

Yep, first come first serve is the way to do it.

If you want it bad enough, you find a way to get there.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 14, 2005, 05:20:34 PM »

I wonder if I'm going to get a console even though I put in a pre-order on 5/17.  After reading this thread I decided to check in with gamecrazy (only store somewhat close to me that was taking pre-orders) and see where I was on the list.  Well they claim to be getting enough systems for all pre-orders and that there is no "position" on the list, if you put down $50 in May or August it dosen't matter for dispensing systems.  I'm assuming they won't get all the systems they need and since the date my order went in matters not to them I'll have to be there just as they open up to make sure I get one.  I wish they had told me this back in May, I would have taken steps to order somewhere else, as it is I'll never use Gamecrazy again since they aren't forthcoming on how many systems they are getting or how many pre-orders they have.  Not having a list sorted by date just seems stupid to me.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 14, 2005, 06:11:54 PM »

I was in my Gamestop today at lunch to purchase Mario Party 7 and pre-purchase NHL 2K6 for the X360.

I decided on a whim to ask the guy how many units they were getting in.  This Gamestop, in Monmouth County, NJ, is getting 44 premium units.  Not too bad, but it is only covering preorders from the first shipment.

I'm fine since I am #12 on the list.

I am very relieved since my entire Thanksgiving weekend is nothing but gaming on my new X360 that is attached to my brand new Sony HT6900dp 6.1 1,000 watt home theater system!!! biggrin

Here's how I'm going to proceed:
[list=1]
  • Hook up X360 and play around with the new dashboard.
  • Fire up NHL 2K6 and play a quick exhibition game (in the process completely manhandling the Devils.)
  • Fire up Call of Duty 2 and play around with it.
  • Fire up Kameo and begin the story.
  • Fire up Halo 2 and begin a new game.
  • REPEAT ALL WEEKEND LONG!!![/list:o]
     biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 14, 2005, 07:38:44 PM »

I am not sure what will be my first game that I play.  I think Condemned is my most anticipated title right now so probably that, then some Kameo and COD2, and lots of PGR3.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 14, 2005, 07:59:42 PM »

Fire up NHL 2K6 and play a quick exhibition game (in the process completely manhandling the Devils.)

There will be no such manhandling!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: November 14, 2005, 11:50:56 PM »

And for those of you who care, I ended up as number 9 out of 18 Xbox 360s. biggrin

In fact, I preordered so early, it was before the introduction of the Xbox 3shitty.

One final note - the 18th console was preordered on May 29th. Yes, my Gamestop ran out of the first shipment before June. Less than two weeks before E3 ended. Scary, no?

Yeah, there is gonna be one hell of a shortage.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 17, 2005, 03:35:23 AM »

And the news gets worse.  While the launch day numbers at GameStop are unchanged, it appears some pre-orders may not be filled until next year.  All non-guaranteed customers will get a call over the next few days and there are 3 versions.  Each version covers a segment of reservations based on date (I don't know the date's used).  Group one will be told it's likely they will get a system before Xmas.  Group two will be told it's likely they will not get a system before Xmas.  Group three will be told it's likely going to be early 2006 before they get a system.

This is going to be worse than the PS2 launch shortages.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 17, 2005, 05:22:45 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
And the news gets worse.  While the launch day numbers at GameStop are unchanged, it appears some pre-orders may not be filled until next year.  All non-guaranteed customers will get a call over the next few days and there are 3 versions.  Each version covers a segment of reservations based on date (I don't know the date's used).  Group one will be told it's likely they will get a system before Xmas.  Group two will be told it's likely they will not get a system before Xmas.  Group three will be told it's likely going to be early 2006 before they get a system.

This is going to be worse than the PS2 launch shortages.

I have no clue but to shake my head at EB and Gamespot. I am sure a lot of this is not your fault, but I think there is going to be some pretty severe customer backlash over this.l
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 17, 2005, 05:57:47 AM »

EB and GameStop took reservations based on numbers provided to them by Microsoft.  They never would have taken the reservations they did if they had been told something else.  There is no gain to either company in this situation and thus, there is no motivation for them to have intentionally mislead people.  After all, the end result is customers who are angry and who get every dime of what they put down back if they want it at any moment.  We have even been authorized to pay people back in cash if they ask for it, regardless of what form the customer put money down in.

The real question is how Microsoft can run ads on TV for this system, building up the hype even more, when they can't even meet the demand of the roughly 200,000 people in the US that were willing to put money down on this thing months ago.

As it stands this is the worst system launch in terms of supply I have seen in the six years or so I've been in specialty gaming retail.

- American Dad
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 17, 2005, 06:28:28 AM »

And are we all convinced that this shortage is not only "real" - but that it will last?  It would be a hardship for me to wait in a Best Buy or Target line, but the eBay thing is very tempting, and I can certainly use the money... It's not that I wouldn't mind a second Xbox 360 if it turned out there were plenty of them really available - but I can't really afford it unless I can make money on it.

Please, weigh in on this, as I'm definitely considering sapping my savings to grab a second 360 to sell.  After all, plenty of people (with money!) would rather I stood in line than they did.

I can see it now - I'll be the only one with a lawn chair and a cane... I don't really need a cane very often, it would just be to make the lawn chair look legit, lol...  :twisted:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 17, 2005, 07:36:21 AM »

EB and GameStop took reservations based on numbers provided to them by Microsoft.  They never would have taken the reservations they did if they had been told something else.  There is no gain to either company in this situation and thus, there is no motivation for them to have intentionally mislead people.

Your kidding right? Places like EB and Gamestop started taking pre-orders last spring, long before MS would have had any indication of what they could give them. There is a gain for them in it. The pre-orders are advanced money for them months before they have to pay for the games/hardware themselves. They blame it all on MS because its easy thing for them to do. Sorry but the whole pre-order thing at stores like EB/Gamestop is basically a scam for them to get mooney out of customers. I've never understood why people want to deal with them.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 17, 2005, 07:57:39 AM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
EB and GameStop took reservations based on numbers provided to them by Microsoft.  They never would have taken the reservations they did if they had been told something else.  There is no gain to either company in this situation and thus, there is no motivation for them to have intentionally mislead people.

Your kidding right? Places like EB and Gamestop started taking pre-orders last spring, long before MS would have had any indication of what they could give them. There is a gain for them in it. The pre-orders are advanced money for them months before they have to pay for the games/hardware themselves. They blame it all on MS because its easy thing for them to do. Sorry but the whole pre-order thing at stores like EB/Gamestop is basically a scam for them to get mooney out of customers. I've never understood why people want to deal with them.

First of all, GameStop did not take any pre-orders until the 360 was officially announced at E3.  At E3 MS talked system numbers that would be available at launch.  If you are convinced that GameStop is an evil corporation nothing I can say will change your mind; all I can say is that I've worked for them for six years and I have seen them cut-off reservations on several occassions to try and avoid situations like this.  I have it on good authority that MS promised more systems than they are now delivering.

Second, I don't see where the pre-order is such a big scam.  You can get the money back at any point.  There's no fee or cost involved.  And don't give me the BS about how much money can be made from even a $50 deposit that sat on something rather than in your pocket.  

Again, where's the motivation for a company (any company) to take deposits on something knowing they can't deliver?  All it leads to is pissed off customers who won't come back.

- American Dad
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 17, 2005, 11:04:58 AM »

I would agree with most of what you said, but the stores do have an obligation to their customers.

If I pre-pay for something at one store I am not going to look into other options because I have a reasonable belief that the store will hold up their end of the bargain.

Should we have to put multiple pre-orders in multiple places/stores in order to insure we get a product that we went to the trouble of pre-ordering in the first place?

The problem is the distribution chain is unreliable which makes this a systemic issue. The stores should not create pre-orders until they have a definitive contract or confirmed order for X amount of product.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 17, 2005, 12:32:13 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
And are we all convinced that this shortage is not only "real" - but that it will last?  It would be a hardship for me to wait in a Best Buy or Target line, but the eBay thing is very tempting, and I can certainly use the money... It's not that I wouldn't mind a second Xbox 360 if it turned out there were plenty of them really available - but I can't really afford it unless I can make money on it.

Please, weigh in on this, as I'm definitely considering sapping my savings to grab a second 360 to sell.  After all, plenty of people (with money!) would rather I stood in line than they did.

I can see it now - I'll be the only one with a lawn chair and a cane... I don't really need a cane very often, it would just be to make the lawn chair look legit, lol...  :twisted:

Oh....I am 100% sure it is real. As for if it will last....I would think so. Microsoft didn't deliver on their promiced numbers for launch day, so I wouldn't believe them when they say there will be "weekly" restockings...if you don't get one on the 22nd, I think you probabily won't be able to get one until 2006...unless you get really lucky.

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 17, 2005, 03:04:15 PM »

I am finally believing that the shortages are real; but I also don't think the prices on EBay will stay high.

Yesterday I saw one in hand go for $800; before the launch.  

But I'd say 75% of people I know including myself will sell the 360 they get if these things are going for a profit on EBay.  Which would increase the supply and make it not that tough, reducing lots of the profits.  Speculating that they will be worth $800 once there are a lot more on the market seems incorrect to me.  Possible to make $100 profit?  Maybe, but I don't know for sure.

So mytocles; just be cautious if you use savings on this!!  Worst case, set the reserve on the auction, or just start the bidding at what you paid for it, and if it does not sell, return it to the store.  I confess I tried scalping tickets twice on EBay -- the first time it paid off great, but the second time I ended up losing about $30 -- so you just never know.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: November 17, 2005, 06:04:09 PM »

Quote from: "DamageInc"
The problem is the distribution chain is unreliable which makes this a systemic issue. The stores should not create pre-orders until they have a definitive contract or confirmed order for X amount of product.

Then you wouldn't be able to preorder your gaming console until a month before launch. And that would be a mess of unbelieveable proportions.

All in all, I'm blaming Microsoft on this. This is exactly why a worldwide launch is NOT a good idea. Concentrate on one market at a time.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 17, 2005, 08:44:10 PM »

Quote from: "JLu"
I am finally believing that the shortages are real; but I also don't think the prices on EBay will stay high.

Yesterday I saw one in hand go for $800; before the launch.  

But I'd say 75% of people I know including myself will sell the 360 they get if these things are going for a profit on EBay.  Which would increase the supply and make it not that tough, reducing lots of the profits.  Speculating that they will be worth $800 once there are a lot more on the market seems incorrect to me.  Possible to make $100 profit?  Maybe, but I don't know for sure.

So mytocles; just be cautious if you use savings on this!!  Worst case, set the reserve on the auction, or just start the bidding at what you paid for it, and if it does not sell, return it to the store.  I confess I tried scalping tickets twice on EBay -- the first time it paid off great, but the second time I ended up losing about $30 -- so you just never know.

I think you are vastly overstating the possible downfalls of buying a launch 360 and selling it. If you sell it the first week after the stystem launches, I can almost guarantee you will make no less than 100$, and probably closer to 300$. I have observed this with almost every single console launch since PS1-and the obvious real shortages of 360's now is going to make even increased EBay supply still very valuable. Even if you are buying purely to sell, I think you are safe if you do it in the first few weeks.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 17, 2005, 08:55:31 PM »

I'm paranoidly conservative with money; I should have mentioned that in my original post...

Though I guess the chance of actually losing money if you can get one on launch day is close to zero.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 19, 2005, 06:08:48 PM »

Holy crap!

An Xbox 360 just went for over $3,000 on Ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8234807922&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 19, 2005, 06:14:57 PM »

That is nuts.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: November 19, 2005, 06:51:58 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
That is nuts.

yah I don't quite get it, esp since most of the pre-order and MD 360s are going for $600ish

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 19, 2005, 07:17:52 PM »

That is absolutely nuts, but I am not sure about a guy with no feedback bidding 3000 on it. Sounds awfully fishy to me.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 19, 2005, 08:42:05 PM »

JLu, great points all - and I'm "fiscally conservative" as well.  I figure that I'm going to end up with a second 360, eventually - so if the absolute worst case scenario is that I can't unload it for a profit, well I have my second 360 already.  And by sapping my savings, I mean going below the normal point I keep it at. Which isn't as large as it used to be when I could work full time, but at least there's a bit of leeway.

Calvin, you're right, that huge bid sounds mega-fishy, at the least!  But whatevah!  Who knows, maybe some rich person just joined eBay to get a system... or they made the dreaded "I meant $300" mistake, lol... a newb could definitely do that... or a friend of the seller just in case it wasn't going for enough.  :roll:

All I know is that I have a guaranteed system waiting for me (#3 on the preorder)... and will try reasonably to get one extra system for a profit. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work... if I make money, that's gravy - and that's the best situation to be in!  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 20, 2005, 06:02:24 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

Check this one out :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Xbox-360-Campout-Hand-delievered-Xbox360-on-22_W0QQitemZ8234236091QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think I have seen it all now.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 20, 2005, 07:14:16 AM »

Oh my god.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 23, 2005, 07:31:32 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Yep, if this shortage continues to hold, which all signs are pointing to it, then those of you just thinking you will stroll in to Best Buy on 11/22 and pick up one are going to be seriously unhappy campers come launch day.

I agree that the electronics chains will sell out pretty quickly the morning of the 22nd. I think you will be able to stroll into some of the out the way places like Sears, Target, or Sam Goody's for the first day or two and find units.

I think this is different from the PS2 launch in a few key ways:
1) Microsoft will probably ship more units than Sony did for the PS2 launch
2) Price point of $400
3) Xbox isn't as popular as the Playstation

We'll see though. I'll cheerfully admit I'm wrong on the 23rd if there are riots in the streets over 360s.

I find that I must cheerfully admit that I was wrong and Hetz was right. The 360 launch was much worse than the PS2 launch and frankly I'm a litle shocked at the lines and hysteria surrounding it.

In addition, I also need to thank Hetz for incessantly stressing the shortages, as it finally convinced me to pounce on the ciriuitcity.com offer when it was available on Friday.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 24, 2005, 05:04:42 AM »

I'm hearing reports that second shipment has arrived at many EB's/Gamestops and Best Buys. Anywhere from 10 more to 100 more units arrived today at many stores, in time for Black Friday.

Looks like MS might be keeping their word on restocking weekly...

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 24, 2005, 05:06:50 AM »

Also, there are going to be at least 25 "real" Xbox's and 5 core per Best Buy store on Black Friday.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 24, 2005, 05:34:11 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Also, there are going to be at least 25 "real" Xbox's and 5 core per Best Buy store on Black Friday.

Really? Ok hetzie, ok. I will go see what I can find biggrin
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 24, 2005, 12:46:55 PM »

kMART has the 360 available (no bundle) .....hurry before it's gone!

http://www.kmart.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=139471&N=0&Nty=1&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Ntt=xbox%20360

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 24, 2005, 01:02:30 PM »

Gone.....
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 24, 2005, 01:28:27 PM »

Yikes...that was quick.

Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 24, 2005, 02:14:08 PM »

Keep the updates coming, Hetz. I will have one of these shiny new toys!

Also, I wonder what time I would need to get to Best Buy to get one on Black Friday. Don't doors open at some ridiculous hour like 6am? It coukld be crazy, especially since most people have the day off and kids aren't in school...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: