http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 01:25:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 - Massive Shortages at Launch  (Read 18431 times)
Zarkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2005, 06:28:42 PM »

We see now where the shortages are coming from.  It's called Microsoft is fucking everyone else to get Best Buy off. Tongue
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2005, 06:41:18 PM »

As long as I can show up bright and early Nov. 22 and get one, Best Buy works for me!
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2005, 06:43:15 PM »

Let's add in the fact that if you're getting a premium bundle and don't have HDTV, you're going to have to shell out another $30 for a AV cable.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2005, 07:03:45 PM »

Quick question, I have a spare TV that is not HD, however it has component video jacks, will I need to buy any cables if I am getting the premium system?
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2005, 07:05:48 PM »

I would assume you'd be fine without having to purchase different cables.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2005, 07:13:41 PM »

According to the content details on EBGames.com, the cable that ships in the box is a combo component and composite AV cable, so if you don't have an HDTV, you will not have to buy an extra video cable.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2005, 07:18:20 PM »

Quote from: "happydog"
Microsoft says they plan to sell 3 million consoles within 90 days of launch:
http://www.betanews.com/article/High_Demand_Expected_for_Xbox_360/1131470521

If they really plan on hitting these kind of numbers, wouldn't they have to sell a huge stock release week?

Depends. Is that target worldwide or just in N.A.? If worldwide, it's not too surprising that each individual store would only get a couple of units.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2005, 07:18:52 PM »

Quote from: "Jimmy the Fish"
According to the content details on EBGames.com, the cable that ships in the box is a combo component and composite AV cable, so if you don't have an HDTV, you will not have to buy an extra video cable.

Doesn't 1/3rd of the component video cable = a high quality composite cable?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 11, 2005, 07:33:36 PM »

Don't think so - Component cable splits colors (R-G-B) composite has all of them. Unless you want all your games to display just one color, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work that way.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: November 11, 2005, 07:45:17 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"

Don't think so - Component cable splits colors (R-G-B)

The cable doesn't split anything at all. It carries the signal it is given. It's when you throw something like the xbox HD pack in the middle that you get splitting. Which makes me ask, what does the back of the 360 look like, connection-wise?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 11, 2005, 08:12:49 PM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
Let's add in the fact that if you're getting a premium bundle and don't have HDTV, you're going to have to shell out another $30 for a AV cable.

Almost every non-HDTV manufactured in the past few years have component connections.  It is by no means HD specific.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 11, 2005, 08:35:04 PM »

Update 4:

The Best Buy sales gauntlet of DOOM!

You must pass through this maze of sales pitches to actually leave the store with your Xbox 360...

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: November 11, 2005, 08:38:20 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
All of the titles are going to sell for $59.99 accept Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero and Project Gotham Racing 3, which will sell for $49.99.

Good - the only two titles I'm gonna get (Kameo and PDZ) are gonna be for a 'real' retail price. $60 for a game is absurd, IMHO.

And I'm gonna stop into my Gamestop and see what's up. I put my $50 down right after E3 (late May), and I hope I'm in on this utter 'let's try for a worldwide launch and have no consoles whatsoever to give out' fiasco Microsoft has done.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 11, 2005, 08:39:29 PM »

Update 5:

The Complete Launch Day Plans

It looks like Best Buy is really going all out for the 360 launch. On the big day customers standing outside (be it at midnight or 9 a.m.) will be handed a numbered ticket and special brochure.

The special sales in the brochure includes: Double Reward Zone points with purchases of $599 or more. No interest until Jan. 2008 on purchases of $299 or more, $5 off an Intec vertical stand with game and memory storage purchase, 30 percent off a Pelican faceplate or controller skin gel, $10 gift card with a purchase of a 360 and the GameFly prepaid pack and $79 in-home networking with the purchase of a 360.

The store will also have a big supply of the IGN Xbox 360 Buyer’s Guide shiwh will be loaded with coupons for the day.
If you are unlucky enough to miss out on a launch day 360, Best Buy will be giving you a special DVD meant to apparently rub salt in your wounds. The DVD comes packed with a video of how cool the 360 you didn’t get is and a bunch of, you guessed it, coupons!

Here’s the list:

$10 off any video game $29.99 and more
$5 off any Greatest Hits, Platinum Hits or Player’s Choice Video Game
$10 off any video game accessory $29.99 and more
15 percent off any Psyclone cable
$10 off any PC game $29.99 and more
10 percent off any Samsung HD TV
10 percent off any satellite radio product
Free Napster Starter Pack instantly with purchase of any MP3 player (first time Napster subscribers only)
Geek Squad: $79 in-home networking with purchase of Xbox 360 (regularly $159; save $80), includes networking of Xbox 360 and one additional device
$100 off Haier BrewMaster keg cooler

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 11, 2005, 08:44:29 PM »

So yeah, like that other person said, we now have an idea what caused some of these shortage problems. Best Buy is getting filled to the gills with 360s. I find it hard to believe that they are going to sell all 60 units as soon as the store opens at 9am. It might not actually be that hard to get one if you try.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2005, 09:02:18 PM »

Wal-Mart Info!

Wal-Mart has begun receiving launch instruction packages, which are intended to prepare each of its outlets for the chaos that might ensue when the Xbox 360 drops at midnight on November 22nd. Employees have been instructed to distribute numbered tickets (as many as the store has 360 units) starting at 10:00 PM on the 21st. The tickets are divided into two sets (green and silver), in order to differentiate between the core and premium bundles. Rumor has it, a few tickets will be hidden in select Hershey bar wrappers… hope you like chocolate! slywink

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2005, 09:03:55 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "Zarkon"

Almost every non-HDTV manufactured in the past few years have component connections.  It is by no means HD specific.

Guess I have one that dosen't.  It dosen't even have S-Video.  And we bought it 3 years ago. Tongue
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2005, 09:03:58 PM »

woot 7 cents cheaper at wal-mart, forget best buy!

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2005, 09:05:47 PM »

Oh, that's cute.  Our store will get 4 of the premium tickets and 10 of the core ones then. biggrin
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2005, 09:40:41 PM »

Are Wal=Marts doing midnight openings?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2005, 09:54:45 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"

Yep. All of the 24 hour ones are.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2005, 10:21:42 PM »

Hmm might be worth trying for eh? ARound here not a lot of people hit Walmart for expensive gadgets. You think they limit 1 per customer?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2005, 10:42:32 PM »

Looking at it from the outside (as someone who has no interest in picking one up on day one), this whole thing seems rather silly.    Golden tickets...sales gauntlets...store rationing...

You guys have fun with all that.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2005, 11:00:38 PM »

Hmm might be worth trying for eh? ARound here not a lot of people hit Walmart for expensive gadgets. You think they limit 1 per customer?

that's what it says on the card in the picture hetz posted (a bit hard to read due to glare)

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2005, 11:03:23 PM »

Well, for those who care, my Gamestop will be getting 18 consoles. Best guess is that if you ordered after May or June at my location, you're shit out of luck for a launch console.

Unfortunately they haven't printed out and sorted a launch listing yet, so who knows if I got in.

I do have Kameo though. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2005, 11:21:05 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
Looking at it from the outside (as someone who has no interest in picking one up on day one), this whole thing seems rather silly.    Golden tickets...sales gauntlets...store rationing...

Not me. I won a free system and I have a preorder for a guaranteed system at Gamestop.

No worries on my end!   Cool

depward

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2005, 11:24:43 PM »

Not me. I won a free system and I have a preorder for a guaranteed system at Gamestop.

Put one of those systems up for a GT raffle   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2005, 11:43:10 PM »

Quote from: "depward"

Put one of those systems up for a GT raffle   biggrin

Heh, if I didn't have visions of making a $700-$800 profit on Ebay at this point, I might consider it. smile

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2005, 11:45:43 PM »

Getting a next-gen system + $300-400 -  YOU HAVE BEEN BLESSED BY THE GODS, Hetz.  I don't want to hear you complain about anything EVER.  AGAIN.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 11, 2005, 11:49:27 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Getting a next-gen system + $300-400 -  YOU HAVE BEEN BLESSED BY THE GODS, Hetz.  I don't want to hear you complain about anything EVER.  AGAIN.

I would trade my free system and profit on the second one if it ment Oblivion wasn't delayed!

Seriously.

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 12, 2005, 12:11:08 AM »

We will, thanks.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 12, 2005, 04:32:03 AM »

On the one hand I have to applaud Best Buy for getting the hook-up for this launch but on the other hand I have to wonder about the overall strategy from MS's point of view.  Doing this at the expense of other retailers 1) puts a bad taste in the mouth of you other retail partners, and 2) potentially alienates consumers who made the mistake of pre-ordering somewhere else.

To be honest I'm thinking about recommending Best Buy to all my customers who GameStop won't be able to hook up on launch night (our allocations were cut back further today) just so Best Buy has to deal with hundreds of people while my store completes it's now tiny midnight opening in an hour or so and I can go home and play my XB 360.
 :lol:

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 12, 2005, 04:40:06 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
To be honest I'm thinking about recommending Best Buy to all my customers who GameStop won't be able to hook up on launch night (our allocations were cut back further today) just so Best Buy has to deal with hundreds of people while my store completes it's now tiny midnight opening in an hour or so and I can go home and play my XB 360.

Seriously? How much further?

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 12, 2005, 05:07:25 AM »

All I can think of is "Why on earth would Best Buy not have blared this news about, a heck of a lot sooner than this?"  Or why would MS hold them back from doing so?  

I would have still pre-ordered from EB, because my local EB is super, and I'm the loyal type!  But I'm still wondering why we're all just hearing this now?  Were they - BB and/ or MS - waiting for the (already known) shortage frenzy?

This just makes me grumpy!  :\

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 12, 2005, 07:31:18 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"

Seriously? How much further?

Yeah seriously, how much further back could they cut these shipments?
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: November 12, 2005, 02:20:28 PM »

Consider me OUT on the 360 at least for now.

Comes down to this manufactured shortage and the fact that I really need to pay some bills instead.  So instead of blowing $400 on the Xbox 360 and a game...I'm going to use my yearly 20% and get a 19" LCD monitor for about $220 + tax (Not top of the line, only .25 ms refresh, but hey)
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 12, 2005, 05:24:46 PM »

Come on Sarkus! You can't just drop a bomb on us and leave us hanging like this! smile

How come your store is getting even less than you were told earlier this week? Is it the same for all stores? How many are you getting now?

warning

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 12, 2005, 05:48:07 PM »

Here's a picture of the Xbox 360 power supply.  Jeez it's big!  smile

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 12, 2005, 06:42:22 PM »

Well, it looks like all Gamestop's and EB's are getting 2-4 less than they thought.....so even if you thought you had a guaranteed preorder, you might not anymore.

This is horrible, MS you really screwed this launch up by trying to have a "worldwide launch", so now 50,000 XB360's can sit untouched in Japan while America gets shafted...

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 12, 2005, 07:17:43 PM »

Come on Sarkus! You can't just drop a bomb on us and leave us hanging like this! smile

How come your store is getting even less than you were told earlier this week? Is it the same for all stores? How many are you getting now?

It varies by store.  Since my store was getting more than most, we got a larger cut.  They're also sending out more core versions now, even to stores that didn't have any reservations for that model.  It means that the few core customers will actually get theirs earlier.  Of course, that's more a function of MS' mistake in having two versions to begin with.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: