http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 06:44:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 HD plasma TV to use HDMI or to not use HDMI  (Read 1883 times)
drifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2007, 10:05:40 PM »

I have the satellite reciever hooked up via HDMI and have a second HDMI port available on the TV.  I have my XBOX 360 and the Wii hooked up via the 5 component (or is it considered composite?) cables.  Couple of people, one is the Dish satellite tech., told me not to bother with the HDMI cable for the Xbox as it wont look any better than it currently does.  If I wont really see any gain then I certainly dont want to spend the money on the HDMI cable.

It looks great as it is now so would HDMI really make any difference on the Xbox 360?

What do you people think?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 10:11:54 PM »

Get a $5 cable from newegg or amazon.  It's the same quality as the $100 at BB.  It will look basically the same as component, but it's audio and video in 1 cable, so that's nice.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 10:13:52 PM »

Need HDMI if you're planning to use the xbox dvd player to upconvert dvds.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »

Quote from: drifter on November 29, 2007, 10:05:40 PM

I have the satellite reciever hooked up via HDMI and have a second HDMI port available on the TV.  I have my XBOX 360 and the Wii hooked up via the 5 component (or is it considered composite?) cables.  Couple of people, one is the Dish satellite tech., told me not to bother with the HDMI cable for the Xbox as it wont look any better than it currently does.  If I wont really see any gain then I certainly dont want to spend the money on the HDMI cable.

It looks great as it is now so would HDMI really make any difference on the Xbox 360?

What do you people think?

When my 360 was returned after repairs I received a brand new unit with the HDMI port.  I was considering connecting my new 'Box with HDMI, but I received the same advice, that I wouldn't notice any improvement in picture quality.  Considering the labarynth of wires and cables behind my TV, plus the need to first move said TV, which is located snugly between two book cases, and associated stand, which weighs enough to make for an exhausting ordeal, I decided to remain with a Component connection.  It just didn't seem to be worth the effort for such minimal gains (if they'd even be visible).  And since I have two 400-disc DVD changers, I have no need to use the 360 as a DVD player, so the upconversion potential was a moo point for me. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 10:16:37 PM by PeteRock » Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 10:25:56 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 29, 2007, 10:15:00 PM

When my 360 was returned after repairs I received a brand new unit with the HDMI port. 

Damn you. I was hoping this would happen to me when I got my 360 back on Monday, but no HDMI for me.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 10:29:53 PM »

While I can't say yay or nay with the 360, I did notice an image quality loss when I switched my AT&T U-Verse box from HDMI to component.  Text looked fuzzier, and you could see artifacting similar to JPG compression more on the HD channels than with HDMI.  I would imagine that it would also be the case with the 360.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 10:31:46 PM »

I seem to recall that you can only get 1080p with HDMI cables.  Then again, I may have made that up.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 10:33:41 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 29, 2007, 10:31:46 PM

I seem to recall that you can only get 1080p with HDMI cables.  Then again, I may have made that up.

You can get 1080p out of the 360 with component; it's getting your TV to accept 1080p over anything other than HDMI that's the trick
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 10:41:33 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on November 29, 2007, 10:33:41 PM

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 29, 2007, 10:31:46 PM

You can get 1080p out of the 360 with component; it's getting your TV to accept 1080p over anything other than HDMI that's the trick

I forget how it works, but either movies or games are not available in 1080p if you use component.  I am thinking it is movies, but can't remember.

Edit - Here's the proof:

Component:

* HD DVD - 1080i resolution maximum, limited by AACS
    * DVD - Upscaled to 480p maximum, limited by CSS
    * Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 10:48:28 PM by The Grue » Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 01:13:13 AM »

My TV is an LG that only goes to 720 P so I dont think I will be worrying about the cable.

rock band is the fo shizzle.  Did I mention my wife sings really well and i do enjoy the gratuitous booty shaking she does sometimes whilst singing.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 01:43:41 PM »

That is too much sharing.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 03:22:38 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on November 29, 2007, 10:29:53 PM

While I can't say yay or nay with the 360, I did notice an image quality loss when I switched my AT&T U-Verse box from HDMI to component.  Text looked fuzzier, and you could see artifacting similar to JPG compression more on the HD channels than with HDMI.  I would imagine that it would also be the case with the 360.

That's pretty much what I saw when I went from Component to HDMI on my PS3 - things got a bit sharper. Is it a huge thing in my mind? No. But on the flip side, $5 from Monoprice can get you a (slightly) better picture, so why not use it?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 03:30:47 PM »

And less cable mess.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 04:10:18 PM »

Ordered a 6ft cable from there for $9 shipped
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 04:38:23 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 30, 2007, 03:30:47 PM

And less cable mess.

amen to that.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 05:36:17 PM »

We have a 42" plasma and the other month I tried out Bioshock using component and HDMI to see the difference. I have to admit I did notice a slight increase in detail, but it wasn't enough for me to want to pick up the $50 cable and start rewiring the whole thing.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 06:20:27 PM »

i just bought a 6ft HDMI cable from monoprice.com and it was $9 including shipping
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 06:41:55 PM »

That doesn't have the audio hookup though right? I think the MS one has an adapter to connect the audio cables with the HDMI connection.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 07:10:08 PM »

Standard HDMI also runs the audio through it.  I would expect it to work that way on the Xbox 360 as well.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 07:45:14 PM »

Quote from: drifter on November 30, 2007, 07:10:08 PM

Standard HDMI also runs the audio through it.  I would expect it to work that way on the Xbox 360 as well.

Only works if your receiver accepts HDMI.  However if you are using optical out, on the 360 is actually on the cable not the console. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2007, 08:10:43 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 30, 2007, 07:45:14 PM

Quote from: drifter on November 30, 2007, 07:10:08 PM

Only works if your receiver accepts HDMI.  However if you are using optical out, on the 360 is actually on the cable not the console. 

Or if you're a sad sap like me and use audio through the TV.  1 HDMI cable is all you need.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2007, 12:40:19 AM »

I just send my HDMI receiver for the satellite to the TV and the TV feeds the sound into the surround sound system we have, so no worries there
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2007, 02:48:11 AM »

Quote from: drifter on December 01, 2007, 12:40:19 AM

I just send my HDMI receiver for the satellite to the TV and the TV feeds the sound into the surround sound system we have, so no worries there

You're lucky- a lot of TV's won't pass through 5.1 audio.  Mine doesn't. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2007, 03:23:00 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 01, 2007, 02:48:11 AM

Quote from: drifter on December 01, 2007, 12:40:19 AM

You're lucky- a lot of TV's won't pass through 5.1 audio.  Mine doesn't. 

I just found out (via my borrowed 360) that mine does.  That makes me quite happy.

gellar
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2007, 02:24:46 PM »

Monoprice.com is the cable supplier of choice for the freaks at AVS forum. I just ordered a bunch of HDMI cables from them.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2007, 02:41:26 PM »

I don't order from monoprice because I don't have a clue what I'm ordering there.
I go through Amazon instead. You can get them for 15-20 bucks and I get
them sent 2-day for free as a Prime member, or overnight for 3 bucks.
But sure, if you can make heads or tails of the monoprice site, they seem
to have a good reputation and the prices are great.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2007, 04:04:03 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on December 01, 2007, 02:41:26 PM

I don't order from monoprice because I don't have a clue what I'm ordering there.
I go through Amazon instead. You can get them for 15-20 bucks and I get
them sent 2-day for free as a Prime member, or overnight for 3 bucks.
But sure, if you can make heads or tails of the monoprice site, they seem
to have a good reputation and the prices are great.

I did the same thing.  It was easier at Amazon- too many options at Monoprice and I didn't want to have to do several orders getting it right.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2007, 07:14:38 PM »

i've always had good luck going with pretty much the cheapest option at Monoprice.  find the type of cable you need (HDMI/component/VGA), make sure it has the right connections on each end (male/female), choose the length, then go with the lowest price.  i've ordered from them several times, and even their cheapest cables seem to be of good quality...and they're unbelievably cheap compared to almost any other source.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2007, 07:21:51 PM »

Quote from: disarm on December 01, 2007, 07:14:38 PM

and even their cheapest cables seem to be of good quality...and they're unbelievably cheap compared to almost any other source.

HDMI is a digital signal. Being a digital signal, it can't be interfered with via outside sources. As such, they should ALWAYS be dirt cheap to buy, as there's no way to make the connection 'better' contrary to what Monster wants you to believe.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2007, 08:38:13 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 01, 2007, 07:21:51 PM

Quote from: disarm on December 01, 2007, 07:14:38 PM

and even their cheapest cables seem to be of good quality...and they're unbelievably cheap compared to almost any other source.

HDMI is a digital signal. Being a digital signal, it can't be interfered with via outside sources. As such, they should ALWAYS be dirt cheap to buy, as there's no way to make the connection 'better' contrary to what Monster wants you to believe.

FALSE.

Digital cables still have quality issues; they just don't suffer from analog / RF interference. Signal attenuation, cable grade and poor connections can still cause artifacts and impact the overall bandwidth. The advantage to digital cables is that their overall tolerance to those issues is better. The downside to digital vs. analog is sound/video reproduction is not always better than the original (if the original was an analog recording... and it generally is).

The only reason the picture grade would be better with the digital connection from a HD source to an HD display is that they are both, ultimately digital native, and use conversion for analog. A game from a console is ultimately a digital source.

As to using monoprice.com and not knowing what to order... ASK US (GT forums). We'd be glad to help.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 08:40:45 PM by Purge » Logged

drifter

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »

BTW cable showed up today and works just fine with the Xbox360.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2007, 02:53:35 PM »

nice. smile

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: