http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 06:45:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 HD DVD Player  (Read 1235 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2007, 04:13:43 AM »

Hey guys, I saw that Best Buy has a deal on the Xbox HD DVD Player where in addition to the 5 free movies and the remote and King Kong in the box, you also get 300.  So, I'm thinking of getting one to go with my new TV.  I got a couple questions for those in the know.

- Since you plug the player in via USB, can you plug the wireless adapter into the DVD player?

- Does the player upscale non-HD DVDs?

- Does anyone have this and can vouch for it's quality?  Is it as loud as the 360 itself?

Thanks much!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 04:35:37 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 25, 2007, 04:13:43 AM

Hey guys, I saw that Best Buy has a deal on the Xbox HD DVD Player where in addition to the 5 free movies and the remote and King Kong in the box, you also get 300.  So, I'm thinking of getting one to go with my new TV.  I got a couple questions for those in the know.

- Since you plug the player in via USB, can you plug the wireless adapter into the DVD player?

- Does anyone have this and can vouch for it's quality?  Is it as loud as the 360 itself?

Thanks much!

Blu-Ray am win.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 05:31:35 AM »

dont listen to Calvin,LOL,if you can get a good deal on it,then go for it,unless you have a ps3,or plan on getting one....the HD race/war/whatever is still on...and  the godfather collection will be on HD,lol

and no,i cant answer any of your questions.

I think it put me off when i found out that it comes with its own power supply(it doesnt run of the 360s power,you have to plug it in seperately).....my back bedroom with all my crap(crap being my wii,ps3,360,TV) is already like the electricity supply at the Griswalds at christmas

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 07:56:01 AM »

You don't need the HD-DVD to upscale DVD's on the 360, but its not very good at it and you need either a VGA or HDMI connection to your TV to do it(it won't upscale with component cables just 480p).
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 12:21:57 PM »

Thanks much!

There is a USB port on the drive itself to plug the wireless adapter into.

It's louder than I'd like, but not distractingly so.  It definitely isn't as loud as the 360.  Overall, I'm very happy with mine.  The low cost of entry means that I won't feel a huge sting if the format war goes to blu-ray, and despite what Calvin thinks, it's far from decided.  Picture quality is fantastic. 

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 12:46:35 PM »

I have a PS3 now but Heroes, Transformers, Saving Private Ryan, and the Matrix Trillogy all being HD-DVD exclusive pisses me off. If that drive ever drops to $100 I'd consider getting it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 12:49:15 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 03:15:06 PM »

Yeah, it has a couple usb slots on the back, so you can plug in the adapter, GH cords, etc into it.

~ Tim
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 03:18:47 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on August 25, 2007, 12:46:35 PM

I have a PS3 now but Heroes, Transformers, Saving Private Ryan, and the Matrix Trillogy all being HD-DVD exclusive pisses me off. If that drive ever drops to $100 I'd consider getting it.

Saving Private Ryan is a Spielberg film, and I think he's said none of his films will be exclusive, and I'm pretty sure the Matrix Trilogy is coming out for it too.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 03:53:56 PM »

Ayup, you'd be correct, Ceekay.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 04:09:04 PM »

Thanks for the replies so far.  Anyone that actually has the unit and can comment on it's performance?
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 04:23:38 PM »

Do a search on some of the older threads about the HD DVD drive, you'll find plenty of impressions there.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 04:31:55 PM »

You can, but you won't.  The wireless adapter's USB cable is too short for you to do that and still click it into the back of the unit.  My HD-DVD player is actually plugged into a front USB port for this reason.

It does well.  There were a few issues with compatibility with some HD-DVD combo discs, but they sorted that out (and I believe it was more of an issue with the disc than the player).  It's not as loud as the 360 playing a game, but it's still fairly loud.  Not distracting though.  For the price, and if you really want an HD-DVD player, I think it's good value.

gellar
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 01:35:47 AM »

Since Heroes is coming out on HD-DVD I'm kinda tempted to grab one of these now.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 04:14:12 AM »

Quote from: gellar on August 25, 2007, 04:31:55 PM

You can, but you won't.  The wireless adapter's USB cable is too short for you to do that and still click it into the back of the unit.  My HD-DVD player is actually plugged into a front USB port for this reason.

This problem is solved by spending a dollar ninety-nine on a USB extension cable.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007, 04:28:48 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 25, 2007, 03:18:47 PM

Saving Private Ryan is a Spielberg film, and I think he's said none of his films will be exclusive, and I'm pretty sure the Matrix Trilogy is coming out for it too.
While there was a Blu-ray version of the Matrix Trilogy scheduled to come out, I think that will be nixed with the most recent announcement.  It could still come out, but a quick search at DeepDiscountDVD doesn't show a listing for it.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 04:20:26 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on August 26, 2007, 04:14:12 AM

This problem is solved by spending a dollar ninety-nine on a USB extension cable.

Or you could just plug it into the front.

gellar
scandec
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 05:21:06 PM »

Quote from: gellar on August 26, 2007, 04:20:26 PM

gellar

Actually the wireless adapter for the 360 will clip on to the back of the HD DVD player too. So you can still connect the player to the 360 through the connector on the back of the 360.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 06:01:49 PM »

Quote from: scandec on August 26, 2007, 05:21:06 PM

Quote from: gellar on August 26, 2007, 04:20:26 PM

gellar

Actually the wireless adapter for the 360 will clip on to the back of the HD DVD player too. So you can still connect the player to the 360 through the connector on the back of the 360.

Holy hell... how did I never notice that before?  You're totally right.  LOL.

gellar
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 06:43:22 PM »

I guess I'm not sure what exactly you mean by performance.  It plays HD DVDs, and they look great.  I think in comparison reviews with other HD DVD players, the add-on usually does well. 

I've run into issues with a few combo discs, but they've all been discs that others with both the add-on and standalone players have had problems with, so I suspect it's a problem in the manufacturing process.  This isn't to say that all combos have a problem, as I have a number that play without issue, but there are some problem titles out there.

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 08:13:34 PM »

Quote from: Graham on August 26, 2007, 04:28:48 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 25, 2007, 03:18:47 PM

While there was a Blu-ray version of the Matrix Trilogy scheduled to come out, I think that will be nixed with the most recent announcement.  It could still come out, but a quick search at DeepDiscountDVD doesn't show a listing for it.

Why? I't a Warner release and is scheduled for release in Q4. There are no indications it's even been delayed, let alone cancelled. The Paramount announcement wont impact it a bit.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 09:19:34 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 25, 2007, 04:09:04 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.  Anyone that actually has the unit and can comment on it's performance?

I'd give it a fairly average performance review.  I own a 360 with HD-DVD drive as well as a PS3.  I won't go into the merits of either format, but in terms of player quality, the 360 takes second place to the PS3.  I was quite happy with the 360 until I purchased the PS3, and began to see some of the cons of a budget player (PS3 seems a little more polished & refined).

Don't get me wrong, for a fairly low price, you're getting a capable HD movie player that has been problem free for me, but I see room for improvement.

Things that I'd like to see improved:
- Slow boot.  If you have a HD-DVD in the drive, it needs to spin up and be read before your 360 finishes booting.  The 360 has always had a super fast boot time, but the movies can add up to a 10 second delay.
- Noise.  No, its not as loud as the 360 itself, but you know it's on.
- Drive speed.  Going on memory, fast forward and reverse is limited to 16x with HD-DVDs, a tad slow for my liking. 

16-bit and loving it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: