http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 11:34:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBOX 360 HD-DVD Add-On Impressions  (Read 2126 times)
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« on: November 12, 2006, 08:38:09 PM »

Wanna see my impression?

:icon_eek:

Ho......ly.........shit!

My God does this output a remarkable image!!!!!!! It looks amazing, absolutely amazing. Setup is a cinch, literally all you do is put a CD in, it loads the drivers, and then you plug in the player and voila, you are in HD-DVD world. King Kong looks remarkable. There is a scene on the boat, where Naomi Watts is being filmed against the sunset, and it looks like you are right there on the boat with her. It destroys the DVD version, and even though these are encoded at 1080p, they perform extremely well at 720p, though I must confess I find the 1080i to be just a BIT sharper on my Sony Bravia.

Anyone have some specific questions?

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 09:14:20 PM »

people around here sure don't make it easy to avoid spending more money...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Natjak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 10:16:58 PM »

I really want one of these but no one rents HD-DVDs in my area yet and I don't buy too many movies. Especially at the HD-DVD prices. It sucks to live in small town Canada sometimes.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 10:19:53 PM »

Quote from: Natjak on November 12, 2006, 10:16:58 PM

I really want one of these but no one rents HD-DVDs in my area yet and I don't buy too many movies. Especially at the HD-DVD prices. It sucks to live in small town Canada sometimes.

Is there not a Canuckistanian version of Netflix in the Great White North? icon_biggrin

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 10:29:15 PM »

Damn it...you are NOT making this easy. 

That is awesome to hear though!   What about DVDs?  Upsampling in any way?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 11:12:12 PM »

Check out zip.ca (Note,  I have no experience with them personally)

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 11:13:22 PM »

Quote from: jblank on November 12, 2006, 08:38:09 PM

Wanna see my impression?

:icon_eek:

Ho......ly.........shit!

My God does this output a remarkable image!!!!!!! It looks amazing, absolutely amazing. Setup is a cinch, literally all you do is put a CD in, it loads the drivers, and then you plug in the player and voila, you are in HD-DVD world. King Kong looks remarkable. There is a scene on the boat, where Naomi Watts is being filmed against the sunset, and it looks like you are right there on the boat with her. It destroys the DVD version, and even though these are encoded at 1080p, they perform extremely well at 720p, though I must confess I find the 1080i to be just a BIT sharper on my Sony Bravia.

Anyone have some specific questions?

I think it is awesome as well. I leave mine at 1080i, because my TV will automatically convert it to 1080p, if it's not getting fed a 1080p signal. I got it on Thursday and think it's better than my standalone Toshiba unit. It takes so much less time to boot up than the Toshiba....it's really incredible. I'm probably going to sell the Toshiba, or give it to my Mom. I'm giving my Samsung Blu-Ray player to my sister when I get the PS3.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 11:20:45 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 12, 2006, 10:29:15 PM

I have found upconverting via the 360 to be mediocre to below average at best. In fact, I had better results using Component and letting it do 480p, than I did using VGA and letting it upconvert it to 1360X768. Upconverting produced a VERY washed out picture, that took away from any increase in detail I saw from the increased resolution. It was like watching the movie through a filter that robbed the image of color.

The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 12:15:32 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 12, 2006, 10:29:15 PM

Yes, it does up-convert standard DVDs and the few I put in my player looked amazing compared to how they look on a standard dvd player.  I wasn't quite as blown away as jblank was, but King Kong does look very impressive.  Since most of the movie is pretty dark, I'll wait until I see something with a little more light and color before I pass judgement.

If you have Netflix, they carry HD-DVD and Blu-ray.  I went ahead and put Batman Begins in my cue as most of the review sites list it as one of the most impressive HD-DVDs.

Also, DeepDiscountDVD.com is running a 20% off sale on the entire store with free shipping so I picked up Goodfellas for 16 bucks and will be picking up a few more I can find under $20. 
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 11:22:57 PM »

Love mine.  Looks great.  If you have an HD set and a 360, this is pretty much a no-brainer in my book (unless you already bought a stand-alone player).
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 11:41:21 PM »

Wow, nice impressions!  thumbsup 
I'm really tempted to pick one up with all the positive talk.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 11:48:45 PM »

Quote from: jblank on November 12, 2006, 11:20:45 PM

In fact, I had better results using Component and letting it do 480p, than I did using VGA and letting it upconvert it to 1360X768. Upconverting produced a VERY washed out picture, that took away from any increase in detail I saw from the increased resolution.
That may be due to the VGA connection itself... there's a thread over at the AVS Forums suggesting that the VGA output of the 360 simply isn't as good as component output:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=741975

I've tried it both ways and haven't noticed a big difference, but they're a lot pickier than I.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 11:53:59 PM »

Quote from: GuidoTKP on November 13, 2006, 11:22:57 PM

If you have an HD set and a 360, this is pretty much a no-brainer in my book.

Knock it off would you?!  icon_mad

icon_wink
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 04:49:31 AM »

Quote from: Laner on November 13, 2006, 11:48:45 PM

Quote from: jblank on November 12, 2006, 11:20:45 PM

In fact, I had better results using Component and letting it do 480p, than I did using VGA and letting it upconvert it to 1360X768. Upconverting produced a VERY washed out picture, that took away from any increase in detail I saw from the increased resolution.
That may be due to the VGA connection itself... there's a thread over at the AVS Forums suggesting that the VGA output of the 360 simply isn't as good as component output:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=741975

I've tried it both ways and haven't noticed a big difference, but they're a lot pickier than I.

I'm picky myself....drives my wife nuts.

Apparently, from what my friends at AVS are saying, the Microsoft engineers are working on a fix, to improve VGA quality. That is smart on their part, especially with this thing coming out, and the ability to upconvert via the VGA.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 03:12:44 PM »

When they come out with the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions trilogy on HD-DVD, I will cave. icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 01:54:43 AM »

I'd really like to see an HDMI connector before I pick this up.

16-bit and loving it!
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 06:18:35 AM »

I agree with you on that one

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 06:57:32 AM »

i know this may seem like a stupid question,but i am not in the full knowledge

do you definelty need a HDTV as well,to see the difference,or is there still a decent difference if you played it on normal TVs.........or is it just not compatible with normal TVs

thx

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 11:50:18 AM »

You absolutely have to have an HDTV in order to even use the player.

Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 01:56:57 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 16, 2006, 06:57:32 AM

i know this may seem like a stupid question,but i am not in the full knowledge

do you definelty need a HDTV as well,to see the difference,or is there still a decent difference if you played it on normal TVs.........or is it just not compatible with normal TVs

thx

I suppose with the right equipment you could hook up a hidef player to a standard TV, but it would be pointless.  The visual improvement is through the higher resolution.  Whatever resolution increases HD-DVD offers would be lost since the image would be drastically scaled down (and therefor the details lost) on a standard set.

16-bit and loving it!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006, 08:20:46 PM »

ok thx

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 09:48:13 PM »

I pledge allegiance, to wait out the end of the format wars, to this republic of me not having much money, please stop tempting me.

Wow, that was one awful attempt to be funny. I hang my head in shame.
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2006, 02:19:49 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 17, 2006, 09:48:13 PM

I pledge allegiance, to wait out the end of the format wars, to this republic of me not having much money, please stop tempting me.

Wow, that was one awful attempt to be funny. I hang my head in shame.

You should wait and save your money.  You are 100% correct.

Of course if you buy it now, you get a free copy of P.J.'s King Kong on HD DVD with the player.

Oh, and some stores like Future Shop are throwing in a free copy of P.J.'s King Kong for the 360 as well.

But yes wait, don't rush out and buy something just to get $100 worth of free stuff with it.

Hope these words of inspiration help.  icon_twisted

16-bit and loving it!
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2006, 02:34:21 AM »

I need to just stop reading game related internet forums period. I spend way too much money because of posts just like this one frown

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2006, 03:18:32 AM »

After watching some more last night, I have to emphasize my earlier conclusion that this thing is REALLY FRIGGING PRETTY!

What I wasn't expecting was a large difference between the HD-DVD picture and HD cable.  However, after watching the DVD last night, I was watching some HD cable, and it was a noticeable downgrade.  Very surprising.

My investigations will be expanded to include Serenity, Batman Begins, and Terminator 3 over the weekend.

If I had to pick out a negative, it's that leaving a DVD in the HD drive definitely adds time to the 360 boot cycle.  When you boot with a disc in, it stays on the logo screen before displaying the dashboard or the game for quite a bit longer, I'm assuming in order to read the DVD.  Of course, the easy solution is to just take the disc out when you're done with it, and I can live with that.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2006, 03:33:30 AM »

OK so someone tell me this-what like, MAJOR MAJOR movies are blu-ray only and hd-dvd only?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2006, 03:38:44 AM »

The problem is that with the format war, the Major titles aren't really slated yet, I suspect because they don't want to come out on the wrong side (plus, a Major title is a pretty subjective thing anyway).

If you're talking about stuff like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Lord of the Rings, I'm pretty sure no announcement has been made for exclusivity on any of them.  I like to think that by buying a player, I'm casting my vote, and eventually the HD side will win the fight, and I'll see all of the movies I want released on that format.  If blu-ray manages to win, I'll still have my player, and eventually I'll be able to own every movie released on HD-DVD for next to nothing, and they'll still be in HD!  Yay!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2006, 03:41:51 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 18, 2006, 03:38:44 AM

The problem is that with the format war, the Major titles aren't really slated yet, I suspect because they don't want to come out on the wrong side (plus, a Major title is a pretty subjective thing anyway).

If you're talking about stuff like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Lord of the Rings, I'm pretty sure no announcement has been made for exclusivity on any of them.  I like to think that by buying a player, I'm casting my vote, and eventually the HD side will win the fight, and I'll see all of the movies I want released on that format.  If blu-ray manages to win, I'll still have my player, and eventually I'll be able to own every movie released on HD-DVD for next to nothing, and they'll still be in HD!  Yay!
Yeah you got what i meant by major-also like, my favorites-Star Trek of course in all formats is HUGE for me. If star trek in hd is blu ray only, I will be buying blu ray at some point, that kind of thing. I watch a ton of Pixar and Disney animation movies, I have virtually every Mel Gibson movie, etc. Just curious to see what format these will be on!!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2006, 01:50:21 PM »

i may of asked this before ,but if indeed BLU-RAY did won the format war....do you think microsoft would yeald and bring out a BLU-RAY dvd attachment,similar to the HD-DVD?

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2006, 03:49:44 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 18, 2006, 01:50:21 PM

i may of asked this before ,but if indeed BLU-RAY did won the format war....do you think microsoft would yeald and bring out a BLU-RAY dvd attachment,similar to the HD-DVD?

No, because BR is Sony's technology and as such, they would have to pay a licensing fee to a competitor. Would Ford help GM? Nope.

I think HD-DVD is gonna win though.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2006, 04:22:09 PM »

Taken from some Wikipedia articles:

In terms of major studios, HD DVD is currently exclusively backed by Universal Studios and The Weinstein Company (through Genius Products) and is non-exclusively backed by Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros., New Line, HBO, DreamWorks, Image Entertainment, Magnolia Pictures, Brentwood Home Video, Warner Music Group, Ryko, Goldhil Entertainment, and Studio Canal.

There are some important studios there, but only two are exclusive and you will also notice a lack of others that support only Blu-Ray so far (such as Sony's labels, obviously, and Disney/Pixar)

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2006, 04:26:02 PM »

Question - my 32" lcd is 1366 x 768-pixels.  I think I have it set to 720p for games already.  This is the resolution I should use for hd-dvd movies too on that size, correct (as opposed to 1080i)?
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2006, 04:34:03 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on November 18, 2006, 04:26:02 PM

Question - my 32" lcd is 1366 x 768-pixels.  I think I have it set to 720p for games already.  This is the resolution I should use for hd-dvd movies too on that size, correct (as opposed to 1080i)?

Actually, for movies, I change my 360 to be 1080i, and now I can tell a bit more difference, as the image is a little bit sharper. Try them both, it differs between TV's, and the best resolution setting is what looks best to your eye.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2006, 07:29:41 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 18, 2006, 04:22:09 PM

Taken from some Wikipedia articles:

In terms of major studios, HD DVD is currently exclusively backed by Universal Studios and The Weinstein Company (through Genius Products) and is non-exclusively backed by Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros., New Line, HBO, DreamWorks, Image Entertainment, Magnolia Pictures, Brentwood Home Video, Warner Music Group, Ryko, Goldhil Entertainment, and Studio Canal.

There are some important studios there, but only two are exclusive and you will also notice a lack of others that support only Blu-Ray so far (such as Sony's labels, obviously, and Disney/Pixar)
Pixar/Disney do not appear to be exclusive to Blu-Ray however...hmm, this is a wierd VHS/Betamax kind of time. I think Jblank is right, but man, even if I could buy one around Christmas, is it smart. Well, a month to decide slywink
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2006, 08:47:29 PM »

I know by buying one, I'm running the risk of being an early adopter in the middle of a format war.  However, if you already have a 360, you're talking $200 for an HD DVD player.  When I bought my first DVD player, it cost me about $250, and that was including a 20% employee discount, and was in '99.  When it comes to home theater, that kind of money I'm willing to take a calculated risk with.  However, since I strongly feel that if there is going to be a winner, it's going to be HD and not blu-ray, I don't think it's much of a risk.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2006, 09:17:56 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 18, 2006, 08:47:29 PM

I know by buying one, I'm running the risk of being an early adopter in the middle of a format war.  However, if you already have a 360, you're talking $200 for an HD DVD player.  When I bought my first DVD player, it cost me about $250, and that was including a 20% employee discount, and was in '99.  When it comes to home theater, that kind of money I'm willing to take a calculated risk with.  However, since I strongly feel that if there is going to be a winner, it's going to be HD and not blu-ray, I don't think it's much of a risk.
I know a lot of people think this (and I kinda do too), but is there any particular cause for us thinking this way? Any rumors/facts/ideas that make us think its the better choice?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2006, 09:26:38 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 18, 2006, 09:17:56 PM

Quote from: Chaz on November 18, 2006, 08:47:29 PM

I know a lot of people think this (and I kinda do too), but is there any particular cause for us thinking this way? Any rumors/facts/ideas that make us think its the better choice?

There is a VERY simple answer.  People are absolutely and completely stupid.  They see their HDTV.  What goes with HDTV but an HD-DVD!  The letters match!  Blu-Ray? Whats that?  Oh that plays Pony Slastation 360 games.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: