http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 09:21:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 games to be playable on Windows 8?!  (Read 359 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2011, 02:05:43 PM »

360 on PC for a price?

Unconfirmed reports claim that the upcoming Windows 8 operating system will allow users to play Xbox 360 games on their PCs.

According to InsiderIs sources, Xbox 360 on PC will have a subscription fee like Xbox Live, but online gaming will run on Windows Live Marketplace, meaning - at least initially - that PC users won't be able to compete against console owners.

The site suggests an additional revenue stream and the chance to extend the current generation hardware lifespan are behind the move.

Microsoft has yet to announce an official release date for Windows 8, or the full feature set for the operating system, so take this all with a large pinch of salt for now.

Earlier this month, Microsoft announced plans to merge Xbox.com and Games For Windows Marketplace to create a one-stop-shop for players.

"Games For Windows Marketplace will fully transition over to Xbox.com," it said. "Now you can get all of your gaming needs in one place. It's convenient, it's concentrated, and it's a whole lot of great games."

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 02:44:15 PM »

I don't know how they could possibly do that, because of the diversity of hardware. The on,y thing that makes sense would be thru an emulation layer, which generally carries a pretty big performance penalty, doesn't it?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 03:15:09 PM »

I'm guessing that an OS developer can create an API that is low level enough that it won't be slow like the typical fan-made emulators.
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 04:41:43 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on July 12, 2011, 02:44:15 PM

I don't know how they could possibly do that, because of the diversity of hardware. The on,y thing that makes sense would be thru an emulation layer, which generally carries a pretty big performance penalty, doesn't it?
Surely they could make win8 hardware requirements beefy enough to accommodate it?  Or make sure the installer won't let you use the service if hardware is lacking?

When I saw thread title I though you were going to be able to stick a 360 disc in a pc and play:
Talk about a game changer.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 05:19:05 PM »

Quote from: ras752000 on July 12, 2011, 04:41:43 PM

How so? I play my console games on my console and big screen TV. Why would I want to play them on my computer? The only way I could see it is if I could play them on my laptop, but I really don't think most laptops have the horsepower to do that.

LiveTAG: happydog
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 05:25:15 PM »

Quote from: happydog on July 12, 2011, 05:19:05 PM

Quote from: ras752000 on July 12, 2011, 04:41:43 PM

How so? I play my console games on my console and big screen TV. Why would I want to play them on my computer? The only way I could see it is if I could play them on my laptop, but I really don't think most laptops have the horsepower to do that.

If you don't have a console, it would be a game changer.

I'm not entirely sure that you won't be able to pop a 360 disc into your PC.  The whole thing is unclear yet.

As I mentioned in the PC thread, though, there's more to emulation than throwing more horsepower at it.  Since Windows and the 360 are friendly, in terms of development tools, it may be an easier process than it has been for other systems, though.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 05:25:35 PM »

did this really need two identical threads?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 06:55:02 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 12, 2011, 05:25:35 PM

did this really need two identical threads?

See my reply in the other thread.  icon_lol

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: