http://gamingtrend.com
November 25, 2014, 10:19:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBOX 360 Games to be $59.99 each...  (Read 2614 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2005, 09:35:03 PM »

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/groups/E3_2005/xbox360.asp

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 09:37:01 PM »

I'll believe it if they are still that high on the day of release.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 09:41:51 PM »

There'll always be rentals.

Which is pretty much the only reason why I buy consoles, I know I can rent every game that comes out.

However, there's no way all the games will be $60 each, however the AAA launch titles will probably be that much.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 09:44:40 PM »

Just as a reference, before the PSP came out, most of the retail sites were listing all the games at $49.99.  As it got closer, a bunch of them dropped to $39.99, while some stayed at $50.  I think we'll see the same with the next gen systems.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 10:21:56 PM »

Until Microsoft announces something official, this is just a guess by EB.  It could go either way at this point - $50 or $60.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 10:58:24 PM »

If it's true - How long will games last at this price?

It seems like a lot of games are dropping down in the $30 range within a month of release - I can't imagine that everything will be released at $60 nevermind stay there for long.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 12:18:28 AM »

If they're priced that high they better be banking on getting a higher return through hardware sales. I'm certainly not ready to shell out $60 a game and have a decent paying job.

Given these consoles are still targeted towards the younger generation,  whom do not have $60 to spend frequently on video games, my guess is prices will be around the current high end titles and then decrease from there.

I would fathom X-Box (1) titles will also fall in price a few months after the 360 launch. I know I'll be looking for that sweet spot point where all the games I wanted but didn't want to fork over $40 will be dirt cheap.  smile
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 12:23:50 AM »

what sucks, if people start preordering now for that price, it will give MS all the proof they need.  Gamers will pay that much.  

so, THANK YOU EBGAMES
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 12:43:51 AM »

I'm not sure I like where the industry is heading... next gen consoles are so powerful that it's going to take $20-30 million just to develop a game (I thought I read somewhere that the current average was 10 mill).  And with games costing that much to make, publishers are only going to want to develop safe, sure-fire hits and not take any chances on something original.  Not only that, but I fully expect to see the analysts' predictions of $75 games by the end of the next generation.

Here's hoping that for every HaloX, GTAX, and ZeldaX we also see more original games like Katamari Damacy, Animal Crossing, Pikmin 2, etc. during this generation.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 01:05:51 AM »

Yes, however consoles are also becoming more widespread, along with gaming being more accepted in general.

However, originality is still an issue.

Luckily, there will always be the PC's indie market, along with modders for PC games.
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 03:07:34 AM »

actually a while back it was said that all next gen console games will cost $70 each so i'm not too upset about $60. i get most of mine on sale anyway, so that will bring it back down to what we normally pay for them now.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 03:58:32 AM »

While it seems perfectly possible we will see this generation of games at 60$, is it not possible that this is yet another of EB's many many price gouging ploys?
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 06:41:04 AM »

I would be surprised if it wasn't this much. Listen to the devlopers talk at places like the GDC this year. Game costs are skyrocketing. The next generation is going to be that mush more. You want those uber Unreal 3 engine level flashy graphics? Well open up your wallet then.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 07:21:34 AM »

One thing to remember here is the fact that console (and PC) games have been $50 on average since...oh....1977.  

I don't expect to see many games be $60.  Special editions, sure.  Normal games?  Doubtful.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 12:50:08 PM »

Because inflation should not and will not ever apply to gaming? ;)
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 01:23:16 AM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
Because inflation should not and will not ever apply to gaming? slywink

Not if people aren't willing to pay it.  Of course that remains to be seen.  Try and explain the economics behind the price hike to some jock that just wants to pay his usual $50 for the annual Madden roster update.

Of course if the games actually LOOK like they are worth $10 more people might have an easier time swallowing it.

Keep in mind is that the marketplace itself is growing.  While development costs rise the number of game buyers has also been multiplied.

Finally, people have no trouble snapping up CE versions for a premium price, but those are limited editions that the hardcore gamer jumps on, not casual players.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 01:53:56 AM »

Isn't the title here a bit misleading?

Is EA going to charge less for PS3 games than it does for 360 games?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 03:08:46 AM »

I`m really fine with 59.99, I`ll just stop buying shit. I`ll only focus on the games that have crazy amounts of value. Halo 2, forza, pgr2, crimson skies etc. Those are games with legs. I`ve played different version of counterstrike for 5+ years!!! Easily!
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 06:38:21 AM »

Pretty much with Harpua3 on this one myself. The higher the price of a game goes, the longer I'm willing to wait for a pricedrop, or for it to hit the bargain bins.

The exception'll of course happen with those games that really ARE worth the money for me.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 12:05:41 PM »

INFLATION!?!?!??! HEY WONDERPUG! who do you work for are you an EA employee? You are 89% wrong. Gaming has been hit HARD by inflation. This is the only electronic product that hasn’t gone DOWN in price!!!! In 1980 a VCR was 599.99 today it can be had for 39.99. In 1980 a VHS movie was 89.99 cmon you remember those days, Batman was one of the first AFFORDABLE movies at 24.99 today if you shop around the median average for a movie on DVD is 14.99 in 1980 I paid 299.99 for a 13 inch television, last week I bought a new one for my kitchen at best buy for 34.99 (I kid you not). So Gaming has GONE UP in price by not moving down in price. They used to say that games HAD to be that high as they were not mass market products, and they dont generate enough sales to lower the price.... well Im here to tell you that THEY OFFICIALLY ARE MASS MARKET I just watched an E3 video and they claim to have sold 190 milion ps1 and ps2's and nintendo claims to have sold 2 billion pieces of software....SO WHERE IS THE PRICE BREAK? NOW THAT THEY ARE AS MASS MARKET AS DVDS....

The 60 dollar game is going to ruin everything, it is foolish to continue on this path, I ask you, if games were 19.99 wouldn’t you be more interested in quirky titles, as for me 20$ is the kind of cash I spend without thinking twice, I would buy MANY MANY more games, I wouldn’t even mind spending more for a triple A game.. but at 19.99-29.99 sales will more that TRIPLE I guarantee it. DON’T BELIEVE ME???? Did anyone see the sales numbers for the ESPN titles???? The took a big chunk out of the Madden sales, what really spooked EA was the price point…. PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO PAY 50$ WE CANT CHANGE THAT…. Them getting exclusivity to the NFL license had nothing to do with anything but the paradigm shift in price.

The real truth here is that only 1 in 10 games actually MAKE MONEY. So a developer counts on the hits to generate income. The industry as a whole is broken. When I was working at Acclaim we released two titles that accounted for 85% of the companies revenue when they released I believe 30 games that year, those two games were TUROK and WWF WARZONE

The consumer loses but so do the developers, at 59.99 there will be almost NO IMPULSE BUYS… sorry, no way. I will read reviews first then make my decision, I  have plenty of cash, and Im not cheap, but this feels like theft to me.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2005, 03:48:03 PM »

I don't really think that movie DVDs are an apples to apples comparison to games.

Movies that get a theatrical release generally make some money back even if it is a net loss since it is the movie theatres that pay for the right to show the movies. The DVD release just gives the movie another chance to recoup the money the studio spent. In effect the film has two ways it can generate revenue.

Video games? From what I can figure it is only one method of revenue and that is sales of units.

In terms of consumer electronics manufacturing processes and technology that reduce the cost of the creation of a product is what lowers prices. Does it always happen? Not exactly but I think it's the primary factor.

How does this work again?
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2005, 10:32:19 PM »

How about this: Don't buy a new console and then you won't have to worry about the 60.00 price point!  

Or: more realistically: Wait for the new releases to come down in price.  What's the hurry anyway?  In the meantime, learn an instrument, take up weightlifting, finally write that novel you've been meaning to get to...etc.

Or: Eat the extra 10 spot.

ATB's Gaming Evolution: Atari 2600, NES, Sega Genesis, PC (1990 to 2002) XBOX...that might be all folks.  Just might be time to reclaim all that time back from the void....
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2005, 01:06:59 AM »

"INFLATION!?!?!??! HEY WONDERPUG! who do you work for are you an EA employee? You are 89% wrong. Gaming has been hit HARD by inflation. This is the only electronic product that hasn’t gone DOWN in price!!!! In 1980 a VCR was 599.99 today it can be had for 39.99. In 1980 a VHS movie was 89.99 cmon you remember those days,"

Err The VCR cost that much becasue it was a brand new technology at the time, just like DVD players were super high when they first came out. That always happens with hardware like that(See HDTV's today). Movies cost that much in the 80's because thats what the studios choose to make them cost. What happened? Hardly anybody bought them and 99.9% of people jsut rented. Now thay have learned their lesson with DVD which are much more affordable.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2005, 01:32:49 AM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
lots of capital letters and steam coming out of the ears

Easy there!  Did I personally offend you somehow?  My original post included a winky face and everything!

For the record, I generally won't pay more than $30 for the games I buy.  There are occasionally must-have titles I pay a full $40-50 for, but I personally don't plan to buy any next-gen console titles at $60, I'm happy to wait for sales or the 'greatest hits' version.

I just found it amusing that we expect the price for games to be the same as they were 28 years ago. (According to Zarkon's 1977 comment.)  People are so sensitive these days...if the winky emoticon is powerless to keep people from being offended, who else can we turn to?
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2005, 09:07:50 AM »

EA has already stated their games will sell at a BASE price of $60.00 for all next-gen titles and they will not allow retailers to undercut that price.

Next-Gen titles from EA:

EA basic game = $60.00
EA Special Edition  = $70.00 - $80.00

I can't find a price listing for Madden on X-Box 360 at ebgames.  Can anyone yet?
zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2005, 02:23:47 PM »

not $60 forever. price drops are a wonderful thing and all systems will continue their greatest hits list. no worry really...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: