http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 10:39:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 - Exceedingly Late to the Party  (Read 1209 times)
Qantaga
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2008, 01:53:21 AM »

I have long resisted the pull of the Xbox 360, but I believe Fable 2 and Fallout 3 are going to be enough to push me into a purchase (not to mention Infinite Undsicovery and Tales of Vesperia). I have just about settled on picking up the Pro 60 GB package, but I'd like a little feedback on a few questions before I take the plunge:

1. It looks like both the Pro and the Elite have backwards compatibility for most Xbox games. I have a few Xbox games that I (and my girls) still like to play. Does the Pro indeed allow backward compatibility?

2. Is the extra 60 GB and the HDMI cables of the Elite worth the $100 price difference? Shockingly enough, we don't have a high def TV yet, but will at some point during the holidays. I doubt I will use the system for much more than playing pre-packaged games, but I am curious how quickly 60 GB might fill up with game updates, extra content, etc.

3. Are there any other advantages of the Elite over the Pro that I might be missing?

Thanks!

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 02:04:58 AM »

Quote from: Qantaga on October 27, 2008, 01:53:21 AM

I have long resisted the pull of the Xbox 360, but I believe Fable 2 and Fallout 3 are going to be enough to push me into a purchase (not to mention Infinite Undsicovery and Tales of Vesperia). I have just about settled on picking up the Pro 60 GB package, but I'd like a little feedback on a few questions before I take the plunge:

1. It looks like both the Pro and the Elite have backwards compatibility for most Xbox games. I have a few Xbox games that I (and my girls) still like to play. Does the Pro indeed allow backward compatibility?
Any 360 with a hard drive has backwards compatibility.

2. Is the extra 60 GB and the HDMI cables of the Elite worth the $100 price difference? Shockingly enough, we don't have a high def TV yet, but will at some point during the holidays. I doubt I will use the system for much more than playing pre-packaged games, but I am curious how quickly 60 GB might fill up with game updates, extra content, etc.

Unless you plan on downloading many movies, Xbox Originals, or using the upcoming copy game-to-hard drive feature, 60GB should be more than enough.

3. Are there any other advantages of the Elite over the Pro that I might be missing?
It's black? smile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 02:09:30 AM »

1. Backwards compatibility is the same for all versions.  It is software emulation and doesn't cover every title, but the list is fairly long.

2. I know that the 20GB fills up quite quickly with demos, videos, XBLA titles, downloaded content, etc so I would guess the 60GB would be nice, especially with the forthcoming feature that would allow you to install games to the hard drive and more online content coming all the time.

3. Um, one is black and that's about it I think.  

You might consider checking out some of the relatively cheap bundles that are starting to show up, like the ones from Frys (and somewhere else that I forget).  

EDIT: I swear I didn't just copy my answers from Laner.  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 02:33:05 AM »

Although you didn't mention reliability issues, I would strongly recommend buying a 360 from Costco to take advantage of their lifetime customer satisfaction warranty.  I've exchanged a 360 twice after a year of ownership with no hassles. 

As to the Pro vs. Elite, keep in mind that you can get a good hdmi cable from Monoprice.com for less than $5.00 shipped, so the Elite isn't that great a deal unless you really want the black color or really need the extra HD space.

egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 02:39:47 AM »

The Elite also comes with an HDMI cable and a little dongle that lets you have 5.1 audio though an optical output and stereo through L/R RCA connectors.  If you need that adapter it's sold separately for about $40 online.  If you're going to use the component cables, or audio that comes out of the HDMI then you don't need the dongle.  HDMI cables can be had separately for < $10 online too.
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 04:05:07 AM »

Thanks everyone! All of your replies have been extremely helpful. I really appreciate it!

~Switchfoot
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 04:26:34 PM »

Quote from: egrudzin on October 27, 2008, 02:39:47 AM

HDMI cables can be had separately for < $10 online too.

I finally got an HDTV to go with my Xbox 360. I'm very pleased with the setup. I wanted to revive this thread because I'm now in the market for the Xbox 360 HDMI cables. I have found them for $42 at Amazon and a few other places (NewEgg, Buy.com). Before I place the order, I was wondering if anyone knew a reliable online retailer that had them cheaper.

~Switchfoot
BrianE
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 04:35:18 PM »

Quantaga, I think everyone will point you to monoprice for that cable...I've bought both an HDMI and a DVI-to-HDMI cable from them and they've been great

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

If all the world's a stage...then I want better lighting.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 04:39:06 PM »

monoprice.com is the place to go.  Just buy a regular HDMI cable for $5.  If you need to run separate audio cables, either shave off a little plastic from your existing A/V plug to make room for the HDMI cable, or buy a $3 extender thing from ebay.  Don't let Microsoft bully you into a $40+ purchase just to get around their stupidly placed ports.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 04:39:16 PM »

Quote from: BrianE on November 26, 2008, 04:35:18 PM

Quantaga, I think everyone will point you to monoprice for that cable...I've bought both an HDMI and a DVI-to-HDMI cable from them and they've been great

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

+1,0001,000,000,000

P.S. - I am not paid by Monoprice.com... I'm just a monoprice slut.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
BrianE
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 04:41:36 PM »

see, I don't post very often, but when I do I make damn sure I've got something to contribute  icon_biggrin

If all the world's a stage...then I want better lighting.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 04:42:46 PM »

Quote from: BrianE on November 26, 2008, 04:41:36 PM

see, I don't post very often, but when I do I make damn sure I've got something to contribute  icon_biggrin

Is there any way we can bump BrianE's post count by 1000 ? slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 05:04:38 PM »

Quote from: BrianE on November 26, 2008, 04:41:36 PM

what did this post contribute?  I'll give ya credit for the monoprice post, but the follow up?  not so much slywink
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 05:15:48 PM »

Wow, awesome. Thanks for the link BrianE and the replies everyone:

I do have a newb question about this, though:

Quote from: wonderpug on November 26, 2008, 04:39:06 PM

monoprice.com is the place to go.  Just buy a regular HDMI cable for $5.  If you need to run separate audio cables, either shave off a little plastic from your existing A/V plug to make room for the HDMI cable, or buy a $3 extender thing from ebay.  Don't let Microsoft bully you into a $40+ purchase just to get around their stupidly placed ports.

I see the HDMI input on the Xbox 360. Once I get the cable from monoprice, will the HDMI provide sound to the TV (I'm not sure exactly what you meant by separate audio) or will I only have sound if I get the extender or shave the plastic? Thanks.

~Switchfoot
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 05:19:12 PM »

How am I so far out of the loop that I've never heard of monoprice.  What's their deal?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 05:27:34 PM »

Quote from: Qantaga on November 26, 2008, 05:15:48 PM

Wow, awesome. Thanks for the link BrianE and the replies everyone:

I do have a newb question about this, though:

Quote from: wonderpug on November 26, 2008, 04:39:06 PM

I see the HDMI input on the Xbox 360. Once I get the cable from monoprice, will the HDMI provide sound to the TV (I'm not sure exactly what you meant by separate audio) or will I only have sound if I get the extender or shave the plastic? Thanks.

Correct, HDMI carries audio and video. You would only need separate audio cables if you were sending the audio to a separate receiver or something.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 05:31:44 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 26, 2008, 05:19:12 PM

How am I so far out of the loop that I've never heard of monoprice.  What's their deal?

Best prices on any kind of cabling and on many kinds of adapters on the planet. They do a lot of other AV type stuff. I got my 4 to 1 component switch from them as well. If I had known about them a coupel years ago I could have saved hundreds on cabling my entertainment system.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 06:11:19 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 26, 2008, 05:27:34 PM

Quote from: Qantaga on November 26, 2008, 05:15:48 PM

Correct, HDMI carries audio and video. You would only need separate audio cables if you were sending the audio to a separate receiver or something.

Excellent. Thanks Teggy!

~Switchfoot
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: