http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 04:27:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBOX 360 disrupts wireless networks?  (Read 2161 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2008, 06:58:37 PM »

I have been having problems with my wireless network every since I bought a wireless adapter for my 360, but after reading a little, I'm thinking it may have been since I bought my 360 (which was only about a week prior).  Often after using my 360 my wi-fi will drop out intermittently, and sometimes my computers will be completely unable to get an IP address from the router.  If I reboot the access point, the problem goes away.

After reading this article, I'm now wondering if it is the 360.  Has anyone else experienced this?  It's getting pretty annoying to have to reboot my router constantly.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
KC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 07:00:52 PM »

Nope.  I've never had a problem with my 360 wireless network.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 07:01:29 PM »

It's more likely a limitation with number of connections and your router may not be closing them out.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 07:07:41 PM »

When I used to play WoW my wireless connection would sometimes drop down to 1Mpbs for a number of minutes, and I was never able to figure out what the cause was. My wireless router sits behind my 360 so maybe that had something to do with it.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 07:09:43 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 11, 2008, 07:01:29 PM

It's more likely a limitation with number of connections and your router may not be closing them out.

Could you elaborate?  I'm not familiar with this concept.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 07:11:33 PM »

I haven't had any probs with my wireless connection since I put the 360 on it.
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 07:39:27 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 11, 2008, 06:58:37 PM

I have been having problems with my wireless network every since I bought a wireless adapter for my 360, but after reading a little, I'm thinking it may have been since I bought my 360 (which was only about a week prior).  Often after using my 360 my wi-fi will drop out intermittently, and sometimes my computers will be completely unable to get an IP address from the router.  If I reboot the access point, the problem goes away.

After reading this article, I'm now wondering if it is the 360.  Has anyone else experienced this?  It's getting pretty annoying to have to reboot my router constantly.

go into the router settings and change the wireless channel (which will change the frequency) that the router uses.  play around with it till it isn't conflicting with the 360.  any pc with a wireless card should automatically change channel to match (might have to reboot).

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 07:47:57 PM »

Quote from: WalkingFumble on February 11, 2008, 07:39:27 PM

Quote from: Teggy on February 11, 2008, 06:58:37 PM

go into the router settings and change the wireless channel (which will change the frequency) that the router uses.  play around with it till it isn't conflicting with the 360.  any pc with a wireless card should automatically change channel to match (might have to reboot).

I'll give that a shot, thanks!

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 12:27:31 AM »

?? He's using the 360 ON the wireless network; if he changes them so that they are on their own channels, there will be no Live connectivity.

That being said, I always get better reception on Channel 11.

As to my comment, the router can only handle so many threads before it starts getting choked up.

Rather than restarting your router or restarting the 360; try restarting all the other devices that use the wireless connection. Often something like torrent download/uploads will fuck with your router.

That and if you have a Belkin. Then it's just product choice. slywink I found that the 360 wireless connection is actually more solid than a lot of PC wireless NICs.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 02:25:12 AM »

Quote from: Purge on February 12, 2008, 12:27:31 AM

?? He's using the 360 ON the wireless network; if he changes them so that they are on their own channels, there will be no Live connectivity.

That being said, I always get better reception on Channel 11.

As to my comment, the router can only handle so many threads before it starts getting choked up.

Rather than restarting your router or restarting the 360; try restarting all the other devices that use the wireless connection. Often something like torrent download/uploads will fuck with your router.

That and if you have a Belkin. Then it's just product choice. slywink I found that the 360 wireless connection is actually more solid than a lot of PC wireless NICs.

Well based on the article, it seems that the wireless controllers are interfering with the 802.11b/g frequency that the wireless devices are using, so it seems choosing a different sub-frequency than the default might work.

I switched to channel 11 and I played on the 360 for about an hour and so far things are working, but only time will tell.

As far as using up all the threads in the router - I haven't been running anything out of the ordinary lately, so I would hope that isn't the issue.  I've got 3 or 4 computers that are using the wireless connection, the 360 and a couple of tivos.  I have run torrents in the past, but not recently.  I can definitely pinpoint the problem starting around the time I started using the 360.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 03:34:03 PM »

Well, 2 days have passed and I have had to reset the router both days.  I tried channels 1 and 11 on the wireless router and it doesn't appear to have fixed the problem frown

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 03:41:13 PM »

Try leaving a different device off for a day and see if that makes a difference.
What router do you have?

WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 03:54:57 PM »

Do you have any 2.4 Ghz wireless phones?  Do you live in an apartment complex where others could have them?  They will interfere with wireless signals.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 04:02:22 PM »

I have a linksys wrt54g that I use an access point connected to a non-wireless linksys router (model number is escaping me at the moment) which handles the dhcp.

Our wireless phones run in the 5.8-6 range.  We live in a house but have nearby neighbors.  The fact that this started right when I got the Xbox really makes it seem like that is the culprit.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 04:09:17 PM »

It may have been the straw that broke the camel's back, or just a catalyst.

What security are you running? Have you tried getting all the MAC addresses from your other wireless devices and restricting all wireless traffic to just your known clients?

Here's a similar experience I found: linkylink
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 04:12:09 PM by Purge » Logged

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »

Also, you may want to upgrade your firmware.

I think there's also some home-brew firmware that may work on the WRT54G.

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=4030&p_sid=5R6vodYi&p_lva=4032&lid=3999037401B13#

As to the clogging of connections, here is the Wiki on it. DD-WRT is the way to go.

I have the WRT300N (or somesuch silly name) rev1 with the RAM onboard and the custom software and it works like a dream.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 08:09:51 PM »

Definitely some interesting stuff there.  I'll have to fiddle a bit with the router tonight.

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 03:44:38 AM »

Yes I have this issue.  my wireless printer never works unless I reset the router.  My pc drops connection all the time, more so when the 360 is on. and I have my 360 right next to the router...mainly cause it is hard wired....

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 03:12:30 PM »

The 360 connected to your router via wire should not be the cause (IIRC, it's only the wireless connections that cause the lockup on the router); it's the routers inability to handle the number of connections. It's not a 1:1 ratio either so don't be using one hand to count your connections, one PC can take up tons of connections.

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 05:01:01 PM »

i know that it being wired has no impact.  but under the theory in the article it is the 360 emitting signals on the 2.4 ghz band that causes the disruption.  I was merely saing that under that thought my 360 is right next to my router.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 05:44:37 PM »

I think what I'm going to try and do is simplify my network. I currently have a BEFSX41 acting as my router and a WRT54G acting as an access point.  The BEFSX41 is there because my wife's former employer had a very finicky VPN and she needed it to log in to work.  However, she works for a different company now.  I think I will try to remove the BEFSX41 from the loop and update the WRT54G to use dd-wrt, which people claim works very well.  The one think I need to make sure is that the micro version (which is the only one that fits on the v5) has VPN passthru, since my wife and I still use VPN occasionally for work.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 06:23:39 PM by Teggy » Logged

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2008, 02:24:14 AM »

So my hacking was successful - I am now running on just the WRT54G, and it is running the most recent version of dd-wrt micro.  Only time will tell if the issues have gone away. One disappointment I have so far is my XBOX live performance.  I was hoping this would improve performance there, but my first attempt to log in took forever and it is running extremely slowly (example: all the ads are taking forever to load, and I went to the Xbox originals page and after a couple of minutes none of the box arts had loaded.)

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2008, 03:39:52 PM »

The first test - the system staying up overnight - was successful.  Hopefully it will stay up, and after that, it will just be figuring out what's up with Xbox live.  I may throw the xbox out on the dmz and set up the port forwarding I have read about that is supposed to help.

WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2008, 07:07:24 PM »

shouldnt be too hard to do with this guide

just make sure you put a static IP on your 360 before hand if you havnt done so

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 02:45:57 AM »

When I put it out on the dmz, my NAT value was "moderate" and I didn't really notice an improvement with Live, so I put it back to the normal setup, which gives me an "open" value for NAT.  Live is still not performing too well, although I don't know if it affects online play as I haven't done any.  Just have to wait a lot for things to load as I go through marketplace.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: