http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 04:36:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 - Design seen?  (Read 4077 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2005, 03:48:27 AM »

Man, backwards compatibility is a hot button issue.  For everyone who doubts its importance, take a look at how quickly it takes over forum discussions.

The most recent news I've seen (and, Rage, I've been following this pretty closely, previous latest rumors were that it would NOT be backwards compatible) gives me hope.  

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/gossip/xbox-2/xbox-360-comes-with-webtv-039816.php

The link says that backwards compatibility will cost you $100 more.  Basically, as was mentioned earlier here, you will need the harddrive for backwards compatibility.  A little lame, but honestly, I was planning on getting the harddrive anyway, so okay by me.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2005, 03:53:38 AM »

I still think that backwards compatability is greatly overrated.  Remember how big a deal backwards compatability was made out to be for the PS2 (and it was a big deal at the time)?  And how many of you guys played PS1 games on your PS2 on a regular basis?  Or even one game for more than the first week for that matter?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2005, 04:11:29 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
I still think that backwards compatability is greatly overrated.  Remember how big a deal backwards compatability was made out to be for the PS2 (and it was a big deal at the time)?  And how many of you guys played PS1 games on your PS2 on a regular basis?  Or even one game for more than the first week for that matter?

Raises hand.  I play PS1 games quite frequently and am still on the lookout for ones that I've missed.  

I've also used by GBA to go back and play GBC games that I missed, and backwards compatibility is what sold me on getting a DS so early.  

I have no doubt it will be the same next gen- there's no way by the time this generation ends I will have played all of the titles that I would like.

EDITED TO ADD-

It seems like everytime this comes up someone always assumes that because BC isn't important to them then no-one else wants it.  It *is* important to some of us out there.

Speaking for myself, its certainly not a dealbreaker but it will have an impact on when I get a console.  Lack of BC means its that much more likely I'll hold off until it builds up a larger library of games.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2005, 12:58:04 PM »

look at the menu and think about the rumored Xbox 2 design.

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/cultureSelectLanding.htm

Looks interesting. Doesn't it. Now that design has been on there for what, two years?

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2005, 01:59:36 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Laner, backwards compatability is important to me because it save me space in the entertainment center, I don't have enough room for all my machines to fit in there, so it would allow me to not have to consider a rather large hunk of black plastic when I could have a nice looking white one that plays all the old games too...

I have no problem with backwards compatibility - I think it's a great idea.  I was taking issue with your hyperbolic statement about MS "cutting the life" of the Xbox, which was more than a little melodramatic.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2005, 03:11:47 PM »

It seems like everytime this comes up someone always assumes that because BC isn't important to them then no-one else wants it. It *is* important to some of us out there.

So true.  And it drives me nuts when I see it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2005, 03:30:00 PM »

Another reason I think backward compatibility will become more important:

I think we are going to start seeing less and less visual difference between generations.  I'll be shocked if next-gen visuals are the same leap that we had from N64/PSX to the current consoles.  

Last time out you could get a feel for what next-gen visuals were going to be like by looking at the top end PC titles of the times.  This time out, even the most spectacular looking PC games (Doom 3, Half Life 2, Riddick, Chaos Theory) aren't *that* much better looking than their console counterparts.  And if I can currently go from playing these top-end PC titles to console titles from earlier in this generation then I doubt I'll much trouble in a few years going from next-gen titles to late titles from this generation.  

In fact, I think there are already quite a few games from this generation, mainly those with an emphasis on stylish presentation vice photorealism, that don't even need that much improvement.  Way back on Gone Gold I commented that I marveled at Sand of Time's visuals because they never, ever felt constrained by the platform.  The game seemed to look and animate about as perfectly as anyone can ask.  A year and a half later and I still feel that way.  

Of course there are some genres that I think are really going to benefit from next-gen.  GTA-style games in particular.  The GTA series and others inspired by it have had to sacrifice looks and performance for breadth of experience and they stand to gain the most with the switch to next gen.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2005, 03:54:02 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"

Looks interesting. Doesn't it. Now that design has been on there for what, two years?

Good point, and good find. I think it would look good then. Interesting.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2005, 05:19:15 PM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"

Good point, and good find. I think it would look good then. Interesting.

I don't get it frown
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2005, 05:57:46 PM »

I think he's talking about the white outline on the top and bottom of the page where it says Xbox (it's kind of curved in the upper-left)...that's my guess at least.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2005, 05:59:33 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
I think he's talking about the white outline on the top and bottom of the page where it says Xbox (it's kind of curved in the upper-left)...that's my guess at least.

Oh..well...I still think off-white is a silly color for a console that seriously made a name for itself by being something out of a Borg cube, but ok.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2005, 06:44:48 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

I think we are going to start seeing less and less visual difference between generations.  I'll be shocked if next-gen visuals are the same leap that we had from N64/PSX to the current consoles.

Then you haven't watched HDTV.  There is a huge difference in the colors and the detail.  I don't like to watch football anymore unless I can watch it on an HDTV.  The few leaked screenshots show that there will be another significant leap in the next generation of graphics.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2005, 07:32:32 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"
Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Then you haven't watched HDTV.  There is a huge difference in the colors and the detail.  I don't like to watch football anymore unless I can watch it on an HDTV.  The few leaked screenshots show that there will be another significant leap in the next generation of graphics.

Owned an HDTV for several years- that's not what I'm talking about.  I'm operating under the assumption that we're talking about conventional televisions here which will be what the vast majority of people play their consoles on until at least late in the next generation.  I'm all for the "HD generation" or whatever fruity term MS is dubbing it, but it will be a while before HD matters to the majority of the consumer base.  

Resolution aside, do you think the few leaked screenshots represent the same visual leap that we had last generation?  I sure don't.  Of course there will be a major leap in graphics- who would argue otherwise?  My point is that the leaps will continue to be smaller from generation to generation and that the current generation's visuals will hold up much better than last generation's primitive 3D has.  

Late generation PSX and N64 graphics weren't even in the same ballpark, much less the same state, as top end PC graphics of the time.  I don't think that's the case this gen.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: