http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 04:25:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBOX 360 controller redesign  (Read 1339 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2008, 04:31:57 PM »

when i first read this i screamed,i love the 360 controller...but if you could change one thing,what would it be??

thats right,the D-Pad,well apparently,a new design has been spotted of the 360 controller,and it has a new D-pad

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=195683

slightly redesigned Xbox 360 controller has been spotted on the show floor of the Leipzig Games Convention, sporting a new, more responsive d-pad.

While aesthetically identical to the previous Xbox 360 controller model (apart from being green in colour), our man on the floor reports that the d-pad on the new one is massively improved, sporting a full eight-way directional input as opposed to the previous's four.

The coloured pad is on demo booths playing Pro Evolution Soccer 2009, which we're told benefits greatly from the better d-pad.

This slight redesign should also work wonders with beat-em-ups such as Street Fighter IV and Xbox Live Arcade titles, which have been suffering badly with the current 360 controller's dodgy directional pad.

Our man in Germany has snapped some pics of the new pad and we'll have them on the internet for you shortly...

hopefully this will improve games like super puzzle fighter,and tetris

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 04:51:51 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 20, 2008, 04:31:57 PM

when i first read this i screamed,i love the 360 controller...but if you could change one thing,what would it be??

thats right,the D-Pad,well apparently,a new design has been spotted of the 360 controller,and it has a new D-pad

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=195683

slightly redesigned Xbox 360 controller has been spotted on the show floor of the Leipzig Games Convention, sporting a new, more responsive d-pad.

While aesthetically identical to the previous Xbox 360 controller model (apart from being green in colour), our man on the floor reports that the d-pad on the new one is massively improved, sporting a full eight-way directional input as opposed to the previous's four.

The coloured pad is on demo booths playing Pro Evolution Soccer 2009, which we're told benefits greatly from the better d-pad.

This slight redesign should also work wonders with beat-em-ups such as Street Fighter IV and Xbox Live Arcade titles, which have been suffering badly with the current 360 controller's dodgy directional pad.

Our man in Germany has snapped some pics of the new pad and we'll have them on the internet for you shortly...

hopefully this will improve games like super puzzle fighter,and tetris

Yeah, great.  Except we here in the States aren't getting it, apparently.

Enjoy it, MO, with your "football" gaming.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 05:04:05 PM »

Bullwinkle-c'mon you know thats Bullshit,who's told you that?...it wouldnt suprise me that it gets announced here in Europe,but released in America first..all of this that has been announced today(the SONY stuff as well) i am betting will be released in North America as well

as for 8 directions,i dont really need 8 directions,but i do need 4 seperate directions,and not one big button for a D-Pad,i have been having a lot of trouble with my controllers recently(my Halo 3 RB doesnt work anymore..and the controller i spilt beer on 3-4 months ago..and then i washed it in the Bathroom sink has started to work again now,but i am worried it will die on me again)

and no,i dont play 'football ' games i would rather watch it,and scream at the TV that way icon_smile retard

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 05:09:26 PM »

This needs to come stateside.  Although, What am I going to do with my 3 controllers with the crappy Dpad?  I guess I could risk opening them up to mod them, but I am not usually good with those kinds of things.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 05:24:48 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 20, 2008, 05:04:05 PM

Bullwinkle-c'mon you know thats Bullshit,who's told you that?...it wouldnt suprise me that it gets announced here in Europe,but released in America first..all of this that has been announced today(the SONY stuff as well) i am betting will be released in North America as well

as for 8 directions,i dont really need 8 directions,but i do need 4 seperate directions,and not one big button for a D-Pad,i have been having a lot of trouble with my controllers recently(my Halo 3 RB doesnt work anymore..and the controller i spilt beer on 3-4 months ago..and then i washed it in the Bathroom sink has started to work again now,but i am worried it will die on me again)

and no,i dont play 'football ' games i would rather watch it,and scream at the TV that way icon_smile retard

I read it on ShackNews: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54286

The headline reads "Redesigned Xbox 360 Controller Has Better D-Pad, Is Not Arriving in North America"

Said to be "optimized" for Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer series, the green controller is billed as a "a limited edition promotional item that is only available in Europe, Asia and Latin America while supplies last," the company told Eurogamer.

I remember you saying you're not a soccer/football fan now, MO, sorry! 

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 05:29:53 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 20, 2008, 05:24:48 PM

I read it on ShackNews: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54286

The headline reads "Redesigned Xbox 360 Controller Has Better D-Pad, Is Not Arriving in North America"

Said to be "optimized" for Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer series, the green controller is billed as a "a limited edition promotional item that is only available in Europe, Asia and Latin America while supplies last," the company told Eurogamer.

I remember you saying you're not a soccer/football fan now, MO, sorry! 

thats crazy..its nearly as bad as Capcom saying they are not gonna release the Wii version of Resident Evil Zero/origins outside of Japan

does that mean i am gonna have to buy some crappy soccer game to get this controller?('cos i will)

and i am a soccer/football fan,but not in video games(see under my avatar )

EDIT:it may very well be ANOTHER controller

these pictures show the Green controller,but the D-pad is the same,so perhaps it is another controller altogether

Eurogamer pictures

i am still waiting for their pictures they said they were gonna put up on CVG..hopefully it is different
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 05:34:32 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 07:52:29 PM »

The d-pad 'holder' (the problem with the current 360 controllers) doesn't look any bigger. How does this fix anything?

And according to Engadget, they reported that the controller would look like this:

paranoid

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 07:59:29 PM »

LOL,yup,i can use my right hand for those two analogues easy disgust

hmm,i just read somewhere that...it is meant to look exactly the same,except green,but the D-pad is looser so it can be moved easier in the direction you want it to

if true,consider me let down....i would like seperate buttons(not unlike the Dualshock D-pad)...missed oppertunity i reckon

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 08:17:21 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 20, 2008, 07:59:29 PM

hmm,i just read somewhere that...it is meant to look exactly the same,except green,but the D-pad is looser so it can be moved easier in the direction you want it to

But that isn't the problem. The problem is that d-pad hits the 'wall' inside the controller. That won't fix anything.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 08:52:44 PM »

damn that design pic looks stupid.  not only can you not use the pad for analog games, but you can't use the buttons with the d pad.  nevermind the mindfrack of swapping left hand movement, right hand view/action. 

oh well, i guess we'll just have to mod our own stuff if we want a decent d pad for anything other than slow games. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 09:17:43 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 20, 2008, 08:17:21 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 20, 2008, 07:59:29 PM

But that isn't the problem. The problem is that d-pad hits the 'wall' inside the controller. That won't fix anything.

But maybe that's what they mean by "looser."  That they did the same fix as home users have, just sanded out the d-pad rim.  Or widened it.

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 09:25:53 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 20, 2008, 07:52:29 PM

The d-pad 'holder' (the problem with the current 360 controllers) doesn't look any bigger. How does this fix anything?

And according to Engadget, they reported that the controller would look like this:

paranoid

I call shenanigans.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 01:10:03 AM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on August 20, 2008, 09:25:53 PM

I call shenanigans.

Oh come now - don't you have two right thumbs? biggrin

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 01:34:21 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 21, 2008, 01:10:03 AM

I call shenanigans.

Oh come now - don't you have two right thumbs? biggrin

just hold it down low and use your- err.... maybe too much information.....  paranoid

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 02:27:27 AM »

I call shenanigans.

I call bullshit...

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 03:52:52 AM »

Quote from: Dunamis on August 21, 2008, 02:27:27 AM

I call shenanigans.

I call bullshit...

I'm gonna call Penn & Teller...

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 03:59:27 AM »

I called the Ghostbusters.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 05:03:51 AM »

I call Mythbusters
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 12:31:00 PM »

My favorite controller ever.   Now either I dont play games that utilize the D pad.. But the current d-pad never bothered me.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 01:39:31 PM »

Quote from: HankRaptor on August 21, 2008, 12:31:00 PM

My favorite controller ever.   Now either I dont play games that utilize the D pad.. But the current d-pad never bothered me.

The D-pad sucks balls...plain and simple.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 02:48:25 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 21, 2008, 01:39:31 PM

wait.. if it did that at least it would have some redeeming quality  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 03:07:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 21, 2008, 02:48:25 PM

Quote from: The Grue on August 21, 2008, 01:39:31 PM

wait.. if it did that at least it would have some redeeming quality  icon_twisted

Especially if you used that controller with the two sticks on one side, assuming you used CeeKay's control method.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 05:36:23 PM »

just think of how he plays the drums. 

:puke

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 08:04:07 PM »

Settle Down, guys! Now what the heck was the actual topic?  icon_razz

I never knew how bad the digi-pad was on the 360 controller - until I started on a PS2 game a few months ago.  My left thumb was pretty wrecked from playing FFXI - very heavy on the d-pad usage on that.  After quitting FFXI, I played DS and Wii until my thumb recovered a little, then picked up a PS2 game, using a Logitech wireless controller. It made a huge difference in how long I could play without too much pain. I'd blamed my problems mostly on playing Live games, and playing too much, and had no clue how much the controller had to do with the problem.

If whatever new controller comes out is as bad as the original 360, d-pad-wise, I may have to learn to mod controllers too.  At least my next game is also a PS2, just waiting on it to arrive in the mail, so I can cross the controller bridge later.  Roll Eyes

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: