http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 11:53:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBOX 360 Backwards compatible (NOT)  (Read 6085 times)
Fellow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2005, 06:38:16 AM »

Oh for the love of all things... You know, I'd really like to have a clear-cut answer to this damn backwards compatibility issue.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2005, 02:51:36 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
Oh for the love of all things... You know, I'd really like to have a clear-cut answer to this damn backwards compatibility issue.

Straight from the horses mouth - it is completely and entirely 100% backwards compatable.

One thing about KD, he gets it right.  If he says it straight from the horse's mouth, then you can believe him.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2005, 03:58:18 PM »

Interesting but perhaps outdated news. The new EGM has an article on the Xbox 360. They definitively state the 360 won't be backwards compatible. I wonder who told them that?

How is news from the internet outdated over that of a published magazine?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2005, 04:11:46 PM »

I think he meant, "Here is some interesting, but perhaps outdated news: the new EGM has an article...."

In other words, the EGM article is interesting but outdated, not the reports coming out of E3.

-Autistic Angel
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2005, 05:25:17 PM »

Well, here is something nobody ahs brought up about backwards compatability that will make me hold on to my xbox 1 anyways, all of my saves are on the hd and are too large to put on a memory card. Why would I want to play those games again and start from the beginning? That alone makes backwards compatability completely pointless for me. Unless the figure out a way to transfer saves.

In the long run, all the differing reports may end up givin ms more steam. By dragging it out they have gotten much more press out of it then sony or nintendo, and the xbox 360 has a lot of momentum right now. Its not necessarily bad for them to not let it be known as of yet.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2005, 08:22:43 AM »

Can't say I know who this is but according to xbox-scene:
Major Nelson (alias Larry Hryb, the Xbox Live Director of Programming)

has this to say:

Ok, let’s stop this right now. There is some serious wrong information floating around, so I need to clear this up. I grabbed my favorite PR dudes, and they are saying what I was telling a few of you in email:

“We’re not sure where this came from, and is incorrect. At launch, Xbox 360 will be backward compatible with the top Xbox games. Our goal is to have every Xbox game work on Xbox 360. You will NOT need to purchase a new ‘version’ — your original games will work on Xbox 360.”

http://www.majornelson.com/2005/05/19/no-you-do-not-need-to-recompile-your-xbox-games/

LiveTAG: happydog
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2005, 05:22:04 PM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
Well, here is something nobody ahs brought up about backwards compatability that will make me hold on to my xbox 1 anyways, all of my saves are on the hd and are too large to put on a memory card. Why would I want to play those games again and start from the beginning? That alone makes backwards compatability completely pointless for me. Unless the figure out a way to transfer saves.

System link cable, transfer over home network, etc.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Meisterbrew
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2005, 02:15:22 PM »

If i wanted to buy an xbox 360 that has the same componuts as a the new apple systems, why cut the middle man out, buy the damn apple computer and get an emulator for it...

Why the holy fuck is an xbox 360 running on a fucking apple pc, when M$ software runs on a stinking pc!!!

What next Microsoft Windows Longhorn for Macintosh?
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2005, 02:17:19 PM »

Quote from: "Baku"
What next Microsoft Windows Longhorn for Macintosh?

Not likely but for that type of hardware its a real possiblity.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2005, 03:30:11 PM »

I think he meant, "Here is some interesting, but perhaps outdated news: the new EGM has an article...."

In other words, the EGM article is interesting but outdated, not the reports coming out of E3.

Ah, sorry.  I see that now.  Semi-colon issues.

all of my saves are on the hd and are too large to put on a memory card. Why would I want to play those games again and start from the beginning?

System link cable, transfer over home network, etc.

Hell, MS may provide a cable themselves.  At the very least, not ALL of the game saves are too big to fit on a memory card.  In fact, I don't think most are too big.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2005, 04:26:32 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
Hell, MS may provide a cable themselves. At the very least, not ALL of the game saves are too big to fit on a memory card. In fact, I don't think most are too big.

I don't have firsthand experience with this but I've read that many games disable transferring saves in the dashboard even when the saves would technically be small enough to fit on the memory card.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2005, 05:08:13 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Hell, MS may provide a cable themselves. At the very least, not ALL of the game saves are too big to fit on a memory card. In fact, I don't think most are too big.

I don't have firsthand experience with this but I've read that many games disable transferring saves in the dashboard even when the saves would technically be small enough to fit on the memory card.

This could easily be fixed with a live patch/file patch from a demo disc.  Of course if the game is so great that I want to be able to play it on the XBOX 360, I doubt I would mind replaying it from the beginning without my saves.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2005, 05:11:33 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey

Ninja Gaiden is one. Had to start all over when I got a new xbox since I couldn't copy the save to a mem card.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2005, 08:41:52 PM »

Why the holy fuck is an xbox 360 running on a fucking apple pc, when M$ software runs on a stinking pc!!!

Yeah I was wondering that too, especially early this month Bill Gates had this to say about Apple:

Gates said he was pleased that the media were getting excited about computer operating systems. And then he took his jab at Apple, whose share of the consumer market is nearly 4 percent.

"You can always tell if you're working on a Mac or a PC. Just take your applications and stick them in there and see if they run," he said, moments after calling Apple "the super-small market share guy."

Source: http://home.bellsouth.net/s/editorial.dll?bfromind=1165&eeid=4541512&_sitecat=214&dcatid=0&eetype=article&render=y&ck=&ch=co

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2005, 08:47:19 PM »

Quote from: "Baku"

This is simple...the only commercially available PowerPC chipped computer are the Apples.  The fastest ones are the Apple G5 computers.  PowerPC chips are actually made by IBM...who is creating the triple-processor PowerPC processors for the Xbox 360.

Don't think of them as Apples, it's just two G5 PowerPC chips in that rig.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2005, 05:24:25 PM »

...and EGM no less? Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2005, 05:30:11 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Anything from Tecmo /Team Ninja, Phantom Dust, and Jade Empire. There are others. Go into your dashboard, go to the game and move your cursor over one of the savegames on the right side. Hit A. (you'll need a memory card for this) if it just says delete, you're screwed.)

I just had to send my Xbox in for repair and couldn't copy them off (no copy option). I even have the 32MB MegaXkey. (larger USB memory card)

Oh, and to comment to someone's earlier post on 100 repair bill... what you do is pay the 20bux for extended warranty (just call them up, ask for extended warranty). Once you have it, wait 30 days (as the warranty doesn't kick in until 30 days after warranty purchase) and report a problem with the xbox. They pay the shipping both ways for the xbox and will fix the hardware for free. (at least, this works in Canada)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2005, 11:37:18 PM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"

-Autistic Angel
Umm.  Yes.  Sorry.  I had been watching gigs of video from E3 as well as reading the EGM Xbox 360 coverage.   I think my brain was starting to fry.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: