http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 05:36:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 as entertainment center?  (Read 620 times)
Vinda-Lou
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2006, 12:48:37 AM »

I just read a brief article in my parent's Consumer Reports magazine touting the 360 as an entertainment center for the living room.  It got me thinking...  Now I know plenty about the 360, I even owned one for about a month even if I only used it twice.  (It was bad timing, we needed money, otherwise I probably wouldn't have sold it.) 

I guess my question or point of discussion here is that I'm wondering how useful it is as an entertainment center.  I am also trying to sell this to my wife so we can get a new one! icon_biggrin 

Questions:
-Do you use it as your main dvd player?  And does it play burned dvds and cds?  (My dvd player is almost 5 years old and doesn't play burned dvds or cds).
-Have you viewed pictures on the tv with the 360? 
-Basically, do you use it for games only, or truly use it as an entertainment center?

Thanks!
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 01:28:16 AM »

I have a DVD changer so I wouldn't use it for that, but based on my friends list a LOT of people use it as a DVD player. No idea on the burned stuff as I don't have any.

I have used it for slideshows, pulling pics directly from my PC. I have also used it to play music from my PC through my stereo. It handles both tasks just dandy.

I use mine for games primarily, but it would certainly serve if I didn't have a DVD player I preferred (the changer and netflix go together so well slywink )

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 01:54:40 AM »

since the update i have had no problems viewing DVDs with the 360,it is good in my opinion

i played south park series 3 that was on a burnt DVD,and it worked fine...no idea on burnts CD s though...or pictures im afraid

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 03:24:09 AM »

Yeah mine plays burned DVD-R's just fine.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 03:48:50 AM »

Warning, said it plays DVD-R fine.  Anybody have any experience with DVD+R?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 04:50:01 AM »

I use it as my DVD player as well (mainly because I don't have a DVD player..) it's played everything I put into it including at least 30 burned DVD's that I've bought on the net I'm sure they're mixed up between DVD-R DVD+R and so far I've yet to put a burned DVD in my 360 and have it not play it.
Only slight problem I've come across is every once in a while it locks up or goes real slow and I have to restart it, but then it's fine.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 09:44:40 PM »

The 360 has handled every type of disk I've thrown at it, including DVD-Rs, DVD+Rs, DVD+RW DLs. The dual-layer disks are prone to freezing on menus, but seem to play fine once the video starts playing.

I've found that the DVD playback quality of the 360 is noticeably inferior to my low-end progressive scan DVD player. If you're using your 360 with an SDTV, the 360 playback is fine. If you have a nice HDTV, you should definitely consider going with a standalone player.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: