http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 10:00:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 - Analysts call sales "Disappointing"  (Read 8781 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2006, 09:45:29 PM »

To be 'fair and balanced' along with the PS3 'failure' article....

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20061219/wen_01.shtml

eek
Michael Pachter of Wedbush Morgan:

"I'm pretty disappointed in the Xbox 360. I think Microsoft is doing everything right: Games are good; Xbox Live is amazing; and the console is not prohibitively expensive. Yet people are just not buying. The console is lagging behind my initial expectations by at least 200,000 units per month in the U.S., and I don't know why. It could be that publishers continue to support the PS2, so most consumers don't perceive a need to switch yet.

I think Microsoft over-promised on the 360, led a lot of consumers to believe that there would be millions at launch, and these consumers stopped buying anything (through March) while waiting for their Xbox 360s to arrive. Sony promised nothing (yes, they screwed up the quantities, but did not suggest that retailers advertise or take [PS3] pre-orders); consumers expected nothing, and [PS2] software sales were fine all year. It appears that as long as consumers have current generation titles to choose from, they will buy that software. I think that future declines in current generation software sales will continue to be more gradual than in past transitions."

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 09:53:22 PM »

Do you really want to be the Fox News of GamingTrend?

And yes, 360 sales are rather disappointing this holiday season. It honestly should be doing better.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 09:57:25 PM »

I love how you counter a Time magazine article with a quote from some random analyst posted on Gamesutra.  icon_biggrin

Is that the best a quick Google search with "Xbox 360 + dissapointing" could get?

Meanwhile from later in the same article:

"Looking forward [to] 2007, Microsoft looks like it is deepening its software library at exactly the right time to compete with two platforms which are just getting out the starting gate. Gears of War, Lost Planet, Blue Dragon and Mass Effect are all exclusive to Xbox 360 and based on new IP. Sony and Nintendo may have a historic pull with gamers, but neither will be able to compete with the depth or quality of the Xbox 360's software library before late 2007, at the earliest. Whether new titles can drive Xbox 360 growth in the Japanese market, however, remains to be seen."

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 09:59:42 PM »

Dude, that's EXACTLY like the way Fox News slants their reporting! icon_lol

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 10:00:29 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 19, 2006, 09:57:25 PM

I love how you counter a Time magazine article with a quote from some random analyst posted on Gamesutra.  icon_biggrin

He is not a random analyst. He is actually on TV whenever they need a guy to talk about the Video Game market. In fact you can see him on Gametrailers.com on there Bonus Round show right now.

Anyway, I think this is a much more important story than the PS3 not living up to some media induced hype. The Xbox 360 not selling well, when it was the only next-gen game in town is very disappointing.

fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 10:03:08 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 19, 2006, 10:00:29 PM

Anyway, I think this is a much more important story than the PS3 not living up to some media induced hype. The Xbox 360 not selling well, when it was the only next-gen game in town is very disappointing.

So quick to discount Nintendo's effort this time around? Maybe if you started to play with your Wii you'd finally be able to relax again and GT would be a better place.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 10:03:59 PM »

I really, really wonder just how effectively the Wii may actually succeed this generation. Maybe the general public isn't quite demanding HD gaming yet. Maybe a lot of them are happy to stick with the PS2 and/or X-Box until they're done finding games for those systems, and perhaps Nintendo's approach of affordability and inventiveness will pay off.

None of us really know. All I know for certain is that the next two years are going to be very interesting to watch in the console market.

Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 10:04:49 PM »

I don't know, I'm enjoying my Xbox 360, and I think once we see Halo 3 there will be a couple million people who agree with me.

Also note, I'm still on a crummy old TV set. HD gaming was not a purchasing factor for me, I just wanted some Xbox Live lovin'.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 10:06:51 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on December 19, 2006, 10:03:59 PM

I really, really wonder just how effectively the Wii may actually succeed this generation. Maybe the general public isn't quite demanding HD gaming yet. Maybe a lot of them are happy to stick with the PS2 and/or X-Box until they're done finding games for those systems, and perhaps Nintendo's approach of affordability and inventiveness will pay off.

None of us really know. All I know for certain is that the next two years are going to be very interesting to watch in the console market.

I think many may be demanding it but arent willing to pay 400+ for it. Im not picking any next gen up for a while. I opted to get a PS2 for its cheap hardware and games. It will suit me fine until the newer consoles come down in price. While the WII wasnt too pricy, I want to see more games for it that are worth it.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 10:07:57 PM »

Just throwing my standard disclaimer out there: I have and love a 360. For much the same reason Mattc0m gave.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 10:09:51 PM »

He is not a random analyst. He is actually on TV whenever they need a guy to talk about the Video Game market. In fact you can see him on Gametrailers.com on there Bonus Round show right now.

CheapyD from CAG gets interviewed on Bloomberg TV too - does that make him a credible analyst?

Both articles might be negative for each respective console/company, but I'd be hard pressed to find someone that wouldn't put far more credence into a Time article than a Gamesutra one.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 10:19:05 PM »

Anyway, I think this is a much more important story than the PS3 not living up to some media induced hype.

And the media induced hype would be what?  Their own launch numbers?  :slywink:
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 10:24:58 PM »

Actually I think it's due in part to a lot of the public deciding that they will upgrade when they damn well feel like it, not when a company tells them it's time to upgrade. This "our product lasts for five years then you have to upgrade to something newer and more expensive" attitude amongst companies pisses me, and apparently quite a few others, off. I don't blame Microsoft in the least for this as they're just doing what companies do. But it's the attitude on the whole that ticks me off and I think people in general are growing tired of it as well.

Now, that being said this coming year will in fact be a defining year for the 360. It'll be two years later, the BC updates have made enormous strides and I expect even better updates in the future, and the games coming out will really start pushing the hardware as we recently watched Gears of War do. Will the PS3 or the Wii have a killer app this coming year? It's possible but for right now I don't see one on the radar. Two years from now I think both will need to be re-examined in greater detail.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 10:29:22 PM »

Quote from: depward on December 19, 2006, 10:09:51 PM

CheapyD from CAG gets interviewed on Bloomberg TV too - does that make him a credible analyst?

Both articles might be negative for each respective console/company, but I'd be hard pressed to find someone that wouldn't put far more credence into a Time article than a Gamesutra one.

In the end, anyone who puts any weight on what any of these people are saying is just doing so to further back their own opinions.

99% of "analysts" are just people with opinions and agendas, just like the rest of us.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 10:41:32 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 19, 2006, 10:29:22 PM

Quote from: depward on December 19, 2006, 10:09:51 PM

In the end, anyone who puts any weight on what any of these people are saying is just doing so to further back their own opinions.
gellar

God, then what would possess Hetz of all people to do so? It couldn't possibly be for the reasons you said slywink
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 12:16:40 AM »

I think people are waiting mainly due to the hardware failure issues.  There is rarely a week that goes by here on GT that someone isn't posting that their 360 had the 3 "RRoD".  I have several friends who have the ability to purchase a 360, and want to, who simply aren't because of the hardware issues.  I think if MS re-releases the 360 in an upgraded form, then they will probably make the leap into the next gen;  until then, they are contint with the original....  Heck, if I could trade my 360 in for a second gen 360 I would do so in a heart beat.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 12:49:23 AM »

Or you've got folks like me that are waiting until their first HDTV purchase before bothering with the 360. I honestly don't see a point to having one until then.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 01:00:04 AM »

I think a lot of people were waiting to see the PS3 before they bought a next gen console and I think a lot of those people that waited will end up buying a 360.  I mean, it is the best console out right now slywink

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 01:06:32 AM »

It's the best console I've ever owned, and by quite a large margin.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 04:05:13 AM »

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the 360 has as many "must have" games as I thought it would by now.  Think of the "big" titles this holiday and only one, Gears, is a 360 title.  Meanwhile, you have FFXII, GuitarHero2 on the PS2, all the great DS titles, and the Wii has Zelda plus the control scheme plus a price advantage.  The PS3 isn't a factor, really, but I'm still not sure Sony really wants it to be. 

I think the analyst quoted above may be right about a much slower transition this time around.  MS and Sony is really need games that sell their more expensive systems and the buyers need HD to really see the hardware as worth that price.  It could be a few years before that magic sweet spot of price, HD penetration, and lots of good games is met.  Meanwhile Nintendo is going to do quite nicely in the transition period.  I could almost see Nintendo catch up to and pass MS for a time but fall behind in a few years when the 360 and PS3 are much cheaper and a higher percentage of households have HD.  That's when the Wii will look really dated.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2006, 04:46:47 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on December 19, 2006, 09:53:22 PM

Do you really want to be the Fox News of GamingTrend?

Someone's got to troll for the PS3  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 05:20:54 PM »

To be perfectly honest I wouldn't exactly rely on Time magazine to tell me about my videogames.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 05:28:34 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on December 20, 2006, 01:06:32 AM

It's the best console I've ever owned, and by quite a large margin.

Ditto and while we are talking about this, lets examine a few things:

1. The 360 is still fairly expensive for people, gaming as a whole is just costing more, so isn't it fair to say that maybe, just maybe, there will be a natural sales decline because of that?

2. Define.....disappointing? In relation to what exactly? I still see a lot of them being sold, I see the games selling extremely well, the systems HD DVD add on sold EXTREMELY well, and the system is out there, talked about, advertised well, etc. How soon we forget the frenzy that was 12 months ago, when there was an absolute craze to get the 360.

3. Time, was maybe the 360 a bit too early? I think so and because of that, a lot of people haven't upgraded yet, deciding to keep their still good XBOX's and PS2's. These people will still be migrating a year from now, so I doubt that we're looking at a situation where the market is saturated and few people will buy new 360's.

The article is bunk, an opinion piece, just like the Time one was, so it should be treated as such.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2006, 05:30:49 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 20, 2006, 05:20:54 PM

To be perfectly honest I wouldn't exactly rely on Time magazine to tell me about my videogames.

Pretty sure his point was to show that Time is at least a respected, mass media vehicle for news disemination, while Gamesutra, is a bit obscure. Time wasn't really "telling you about videogames" as much as they were reporting on how in their opinion, the PS3 didn't meet the "hype", and failed because of that. Not saying I necessarily agree with calling it a failure though, just like I don't believe the 360 is "disappointing".

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2006, 05:38:04 PM »

I hate to say that one game will sell systems, but I bet that around the launch of Halo 3, many systems will be sold.....  that being said I agree that people are still happy with the games that are being produced for the original xbox.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2006, 05:38:40 PM »

These threads are really getting old.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 05:39:16 PM »

Quote from: jblank on December 20, 2006, 05:28:34 PM

1. The 360 is still fairly expensive for people, gaming as a whole is just costing more, so isn't it fair to say that maybe, just maybe, there will be a natural sales decline because of that?

Microsoft has to be happy that the 360 is matching the original Xbox sales, even though it's priced twice as much as the Xbox was at this point in its life cycle. It'll be interesting to see how sales are affected once both the PS3 and Wii are readily available. I think the biggest problem is Microsoft may find themselves squeezed between the PS3 and Wii in the next year or so. Value-concious gamers will migrate to the Wii while, while less price sensitive consumers may opt for the high-end PS3.

2. Define.....disappointing? In relation to what exactly? I still see a lot of them being sold, I see the games selling extremely well, the systems HD DVD add on sold EXTREMELY well, and the system is out there, talked about, advertised well, etc. How soon we forget the frenzy that was 12 months ago, when there was an absolute craze to get the 360.

Definitely disappointing sales from Microsoft's perspective, as they keep backpedalling on sales estimates. They originally predicted ten million sold by the time the PS3 was released, then it was ten million sold by the end of the year, and now they're saying ten million shipped by the end of the year.

360 sales are disappointing in that they are tracking closely to the sales of the original Xbox, rather than putting up sales that indicate its going to take a market leadership position.

3. Time, was maybe the 360 a bit too early? I think so and because of that, a lot of people haven't upgraded yet, deciding to keep their still good XBOX's and PS2's. These people will still be migrating a year from now, so I doubt that we're looking at a situation where the market is saturated and few people will buy new 360's.

That's certainly a possibility. If gamers truly are price-sensitive we should see sales start to take off as the price comes down. Alternately, Microsoft may never break out of their niche this generation and see only incremental sales gains this generation.

The article is bunk, an opinion piece, just like the Time one was, so it should be treated as such.

For better or worse, Pachtner's a leading analyst when it comes to games. I think there's a lot for Microsoft to be concerned about in what he says (and I think there's a lot for Microsoft to be happy about, as well). It's a mistake to dismiss his analysis.  
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2006, 05:39:28 PM »

Quote from: papasmurff on December 20, 2006, 05:38:04 PM

I hate to say that one game will sell systems, but I bet that around the launch of Halo 3, many systems will be sold.....  that being said I agree that people are still happy with the games that are being produced for the original xbox.

Good post, I didn't think of that. I would say that Gears of War sold a few also, but yes, Halo 3 should definitely move some off the shelves.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2006, 05:45:27 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on December 20, 2006, 05:39:16 PM

Microsoft has to be happy that the 360 is matching the original Xbox sales, even though it's priced twice as much as the Xbox was at this point in its life cycle. It'll be interesting to see how sales are affected once both the PS3 and Wii are readily available. I think the biggest problem is Microsoft may find themselves squeezed between the PS3 and Wii in the next year or so. Value-concious gamers will migrate to the Wii while, while less price sensitive consumers may opt for the high-end PS3.

Definitely disappointing sales from Microsoft's perspective, as they keep backpedalling on sales estimates. They originally predicted ten million sold by the time the PS3 was released, then it was ten million sold by the end of the year, and now they're saying ten million shipped by the end of the year.

360 sales are disappointing in that they are tracking closely to the sales of the original Xbox, rather than putting up sales that indicate its going to take a market leadership position.

That's certainly a possibility. If gamers truly are price-sensitive we should see sales start to take off as the price comes down. Alternately, Microsoft may never break out of their niche this generation and see only incremental sales gains this generation.

For better or worse, Pachtner's a leading analyst when it comes to games. I think there's a lot for Microsoft to be concerned about in what he says (and I think there's a lot for Microsoft to be happy about, as well). It's a mistake to dismiss his analysis.  

I'm not so much dismissing it as I am just pointing out that things like this are a bit subjective. Sure, Microsoft wanted 100 billion 360's sold, but in a year where people are spending less money on the whole, when the competition is stepping up, even from the PS2 of all things, is it REALLY that disappointing? The plus for Microsoft has to be that probably through 2007 at least, they will still be #1, after that, who knows. They also are going to be able to probably drop prices first, something Sony will not be able to afford to do for probably at least 18-24 months.

I don't think Gates is wringing his hands over the 360s sales, they could be better, but when you are where you at after 13 months and you haven't even released a Halo game yet....that says something, to me at least.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2006, 05:48:22 PM »

Depends on what MS's goals this generation are:

1) Display Market Dominance akin to what we saw with PS2. Not happening so far.  Sony sold 900k+ during their second PS2 November.  500k+ from the 360 in it's comparable month isn't close to that.  PS2 hadn't priced dropped at that point either, I believe. 

2) Grow marketshare and make a profit- MS definitely is on track to succeed in this.  Xbox 1's second November saw about 470k sold.  The 500k+ that 360 did isn't a huge jump on that, but it's a definite improvement and, more importantly, done without a price drop.  Xbox 1 was $199 it's second November.  360 has had a sort of psuedo price drop due to MS offering dealer incentives that have resulted in all of those great free game/rebate deals we've been seeing but even with that, there is a $100+ price point difference between the two consoles at the same port in their lifecycle. 

Also, MS had much better hardware design/deals that is going to allow them to profit on the hardware this time out, something they never achieved with the first Xbox. 

The "it sells well for $400" argument is contingent, I think, on a longer hardware cycle from all involved this time out.  If we get an extra year or two from this generation then that leaves plenty of time for a nice coasting down to $199 and below where the numbers will really start to move.  If it's another four-five year cycle, though, then starting so high might stunt overall growth of the market by the time that the next hardware cycle reaches us.  *Somebody* needs to pick up the slack from those PS2 numbers from last gen.  If not then that will mean an overall shrinking of the console market, which I dont' think is healthy.  Though when you factor in handhelds, we may be seeing a migration instead of shrinkage. 

I would say that MS's sales have been good but not great.  I do think that many expected sales to be even stronger, especially once the PS3 follies began at E3. 
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2006, 05:55:50 PM »

Good post Kevin, I agree with much of what you say there. I still think the downturn in holiday spending is having an effect on this, plus the costs of the PS3 and 360, that doesn't help. Like a few others have said, I think it's still on track to succeed and even tick up in sales when Halo and a few AAA titles get released in 2007.

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2006, 06:05:57 PM »

I don't think that their will be a strong migration to hand helds.  At this point in time hand helds simply don't offer the amenities of consoles.  Sure hand helds are popular but mainly due to their portability and lower cost.

Personally, I haven't had a handheld since the gameboy.  Sure they are great but if I had the choice between my handheld and a 360 on my 32" HD tv with live.....that is a no brainer......  The 360 wins hands down!  IF you look at it the group that has the 360 they are basically the trend setting group or early entries.  We must have the new cool systems ahead of the mainstream population.  The price will drop......we paid a premium for our 360s.  To enter the mainstream market they have to reduce the cost.  Most likely we will see that price reduction in the form of a redesigned console sometime next year.  That system will be more efficient and have fewer hardware issues.  Lets face it the failure of the 360 has been the hardware issues not games or support or graphics.  These are amazing!  Titles and graphics are mind blowing.  Take GOW.  The graphics blew everything that had been previously done out of the water.  You also have titles like Madden, Rainbow 6, GoW, FIFA, Oblivion and Call of Duty just to name a few.  I know most of these titles aren't exclusive to the 360 but the 360 is the system that they run the best on.  (IMO)

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2006, 06:12:13 PM »

Xbox 360 sales mean nothing until Halo 3 comes out.  It could be selling 1 box/month right now, doesn't matter, Halo 3's going to be a catalyst for sales!sales!sales!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2006, 06:20:55 PM »

Quote from: papasmurff on December 20, 2006, 06:05:57 PM

I don't think that their will be a strong migration to hand helds.  At this point in time hand helds simply don't offer the amenities of consoles.  Sure hand helds are popular but mainly due to their portability and lower cost.

I was thinking more of Japan and worldwide market share when I said that.  The DS is such a phenomenon there that I can see some people, who probably own PS2s, sticking with it for the forseeable future, especially when it's getting titles like DQ9.  But to even extend that- I think you might see people who maybe owned an Xbox and a PS2 last generation maybe now owning a 360 and a DS, for example. 

Quote from: TML
Xbox 360 sales mean nothing until Halo 3 comes out.  It could be selling 1 box/month right now, doesn't matter, Halo 3's going to be a catalyst for sales!sales!sales!

I'm going to temper that a bit.  I think Halo is a known entity such that it has been driving 360 sales since launch.  People who are big Halo 3 fans and know that at some point they will own a 360 for it may have already picked it up on the strength of Gears of War or other titles already released. 
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2006, 07:14:14 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on December 20, 2006, 06:12:13 PM

Yeah, but it will be going against some very strong titles for the PS3 next year. Metal Gear Solid 4 and probably even Final Fantasy XIII in Japan. I do think Halo 3 will be big...but it's not going to be the only huge system seller next year.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2006, 07:17:23 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 20, 2006, 05:38:40 PM

These threads are really getting old.

Let the hate flow through you! You don't know the power of the Dark Side!

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2006, 07:18:31 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 20, 2006, 07:14:14 PM

Yeah, but it will be going against some very strong titles for the PS3 next year. Metal Gear Solid 4 and probably even Final Fantasy XIII in Japan. I do think Halo 3 will be big...but it's not going to be the only huge system seller next year.

Eh, both are those are meaningless. I love MGS more than anyone and while it sells great, it doesn't do Halo numbers.  And Halo 3 is a non-entity in Japan no matter what so it really doesn't matter when and if Halo 3 hits there. 
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2006, 07:24:10 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 20, 2006, 07:14:14 PM

Yeah but is Metal Gear still the draw that it once was? I think the last one I played was 4 years ago or so? If I was to give my opinion, I would say the MG series is a notch below the Halo series in terms of being a draw.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2006, 07:26:53 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 20, 2006, 05:48:22 PM

1) Display Market Dominance akin to what we saw with PS2. Not happening so far.  Sony sold 900k+ during their second PS2 November.  500k+ from the 360 in it's comparable month isn't close to that.  PS2 hadn't priced dropped at that point either, I believe. 

They may be shooting for PS2 market dominance, but realistically are hoping to get the lead with only a moderate margin.  They are in a very different market now, they aren't fighting the viability of their platform; they are converting from PS2 games to 360. that kind of thing needs "must have" exclusive titles. Honestly, they don't have that yet. PS2 still has must-have titles.

Content is King, and 360 is far from being crowned yet.

This time next year, it may well be.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 07:29:16 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2006, 07:30:36 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 20, 2006, 07:26:53 PM

The PS2 was really the only game in town in their second november; there was the untested Xbox and a new nintendo console just out.

Heh, I know the reason is supply issue related but that November's Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube numbers were all higher than last month's 360, Wii, and PS3 numbers. 

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: