http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 06:53:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 2? PS3? Revolution? PC? Check out the screens... (56k)  (Read 4414 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 29, 2005, 01:34:45 PM »

The game is called 2 Nights to Vegas and we have the screens for it.  Rumor has it these are in-game and Xbox 360...time will tell.

http://consolegold.com/screenshots/index.php?GameID=3434

Here are some of my favorites:

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 01:39:08 PM »

Just saw it. It looks dead sexy.  Now hopefully it will look good screaming by at 100 miles an hour.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 01:45:26 PM »

Ummm...Wow...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 01:55:25 PM »

I need to change my underpants.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 01:57:01 PM »

Could you imagine a Grand Theft Auto with these kind of graphics?

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 01:59:44 PM »

If you go to the Steel Monkey's web site and dig around for pics you will find a staff pic with a very clearly visible PS2 controler.

Not to say that means it is a PS3 game but it is the only piece of console hardware I could find in the shots.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 03:25:36 PM »

That first shot I had me calling bullsh*t.  The second shot makes me believe it.  THe second is clearly rendered, but it's damn good.  That first shot, though.  I cannot find anything to indicate that it isn't real world.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 04:06:13 PM »

Man, those screenies look so real I thought Farley2k's shot was a screenie.  smile

Anyone notice you can see a "Deli Grocery" reflection in the yellow pickup. The Deli Grocery is also in the 3rd screenshot. Oh boy, I am so observant.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 04:29:03 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
If you go to the Steel Monkey's web site and dig around for pics you will find a staff pic with a very clearly visible PS2 controler.

Not to say that means it is a PS3 game but it is the only piece of console hardware I could find in the shots.

Wait a minute. This picture looks CG to me for some reason. It isn't?

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 06:29:16 PM »

Will the day come that graphics are so cool that real life is disappointing?
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 06:32:22 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
That first shot I had me calling bullsh*t.  The second shot makes me believe it.  THe second is clearly rendered, but it's damn good.  That first shot, though.  I cannot find anything to indicate that it isn't real world.

Its the person that shows it to me. The vehicles do pretty much look like a photograph, but you can still tell they guy is CG. Very good FF the movie like CG but you can still tell. Still very impressive though if this will be capable in real-time.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 08:50:23 PM »

*Feignts*

My god...

It's full of cars.

No dought they COULD render people to look real on that hardware, but style comes before realism. Besides, they look damn good as they are, and we're seeing something that is FIRST generation on the new hardware.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 08:56:14 PM »

Wow.  That is awesome.  I can't wait.

FYI, I think the pic of the people in the office is CG as well...  It isn't real.

Wake up.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 09:00:55 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"

No dought they COULD render people to look real on that hardware, but style comes before realism. Besides, they look damn good as they are, and we're seeing something that is FIRST generation on the new hardware.

Is it first generation?  Do we know that this is from an actual game devkit and not  concept renders and what the pending release date is?  Honestly this is the first I've heard of this game so I have no idea.

I will say that as jaw-droppingly impressive the graphics are in a photorealistic sense it looks like the most mundane and drab environment possible and not an area I'd want to play through in a game.  Very interested to see what the rest of the game is like.

I'm skeptical since I've never heard of this company before and if its truly all its made out to be I would expect it to be kept in the can until E3.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 09:36:09 PM »

I am thinking they are all rendered or cutscene shots.  No reason to think games on the new consoles will look any better than high end pc games now and even they don't look near that good in-game.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2005, 11:04:24 PM »

No reason to think games on the new consoles will look any better than high end pc games now and even they don't look near that good in-game.

Well, no reason except all the evidence.

Just to name a few.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2005, 11:06:09 PM »

Don't forget:

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2005, 11:25:15 PM »

No brand/maker/model Logos on the grill, hood, or fenders of the silver truck in the first image.

Very odd for a real world vehichle not to freely advertise for its maker.

Done posting
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2005, 11:39:36 PM »

Bullwinkle, please clarify how you think of those as evidence.  The last shot, from Unreal 3, has NEVER shown up in a demo.  That shot has only existed as a screenshot, so there's no proof that's a 'gameplay' shot.  (And yes, Ive seen the impressive demos they first showed of it...demos which I will point out had no background.)

The strahan shot in your second pic has clearly been identified as an in-game cut scene, not gameplay.

I've never seen the first one before, so I can't comment on it.  Can you enlighten me?

Remember, mikeg was specifically mention how 'gameplay' graphics are, so static shots or pre-renders mean nothing.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2005, 11:59:01 PM »

I've never seen the first one before, so I can't comment on it. Can you enlighten me?

Concept rendering from EA on what a next-gen Need for Speed game might look like.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2005, 01:34:49 AM »

I don't understand why people are so skeptical of next-gen console graphics abilities.  Even first generation games should look much better than what today's PCs are capable of, and those games will probably use only a fraction of the consoles' abilities.  The Madden next-gen shots are mock-ups of what the engine is capable of, and the developers have said that what they have running looks better than those shots.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2005, 02:49:29 AM »

While I don't doubt the power of next-gen systems, I very much doubt the ability of game artists to continue to up the ante at the current pace.

As games get more and more realistic, the effort required to obtain that little bit more realism also grows exponentially and the time required to do such wonders in graphics also increase.  It's not quite as simple as adding more polygons to the graphics (though that is a big part).

I sincerely hope that in their efforts to produce the latest and greatest 3D graphics that they don't put gameplay second (a la Doom 3).
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2005, 03:36:05 AM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"
I sincerely hope that in their efforts to produce the latest and greatest 3D graphics that they don't put gameplay second (a la Doom 3).

I'm not so concerned about that but I do think it will just continue the trend of shorter playtimes as the effective "cost per minute" increases.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2005, 03:36:17 AM »

Thanks, Eddie, you retorted what I was going to retort.

I will add, to respond to this:
so static shots or pre-renders mean nothing.

So you won't accept screenshots as evidence of rendering power?  I guess we'll be seeing some things in motion at E3, but there have been other inklings on the web that this next generation of graphics will be something to behold.  

The leap from where we were pre-Doom3/Half-Life 2 and where we are now is sizable.  And what I've seen of Unreal 3, regardless of what's been shown in a demo, is quite a leap from those games.  

Remember, mikeg was specifically mention how 'gameplay' graphics

And you remember that Knightshade Dragon (who I believe runs the site and has been in some form of contact with the game makers), said these are supposedly in-game.  mikeg was merely saying he thinks they are not, based on nothing, really, as far as I can tell.

Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2005, 04:48:16 AM »

"I am thinking they are all rendered or cutscene shots. No reason to think games on the new consoles will look any better than high end pc games now and even they don't look near that good in-game. "

Have you seen the system specs for the XBox 2 that leaked out a while back?!

(3) 64 bit IBM multicore processors inline running at 3.5+ Ghz with 1MB cache and the ability to process 2 threads per CPU. Add highspeed memory<->video bus. Factor in the dedicated hardware and optimizations (look at Halo 2...and remember it is running on a 700ish mhz Intel with 64 megs of ram) and it will run circles around PCs for a while to come.

The average enthusiast PC doesn't even come close to what the Xbox 2 will have and probably won't for a while.  

I think these screens very well represent game play.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2005, 12:13:45 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"

look closely at the textures of the stone walls in the background...you can see where the pattern repeats itself Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2005, 02:34:37 PM »

Quote from: "Raintitan"
"I am thinking they are all rendered or cutscene shots. No reason to think games on the new consoles will look any better than high end pc games now and even they don't look near that good in-game. "

Have you seen the system specs for the XBox 2 that leaked out a while back?!

(3) 64 bit IBM multicore processors inline running at 3.5+ Ghz with 1MB cache and the ability to process 2 threads per CPU. Add highspeed memory<->video bus. Factor in the dedicated hardware and optimizations (look at Halo 2...and remember it is running on a 700ish mhz Intel with 64 megs of ram) and it will run circles around PCs for a while to come.

The average enthusiast PC doesn't even come close to what the Xbox 2 will have and probably won't for a while.  

I think these screens very well represent game play.

Man its like deja vu again. It feels like the summer/spring of 2000 again...
dogbert
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2005, 11:59:15 PM »

Steel Monkeys used to be a console developer based in Scotland with an art team in Eastern Europe. They went bust last year. What's left is a team in Eastern Europe with management still in Scotland, I believe. They were most 'well known' for Rocky on the PS2 & Corvette on the Xbox, and some cheap licenced properties for kids. Hardly a powerhouse developer.
yeyeman9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2005, 02:54:36 AM »

Wow! That looks stuningly beautiful!

*imagines grand theft auto with those graphics.

~Gamers are born to play~

"I have a suggestion for you: get married and if you find a good wife you will be happy forever, if not you will become a philosopher" - Socrates.
Macuraf
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2005, 03:48:37 AM »

There's no way they'd make a game like GTA with those realistic graphics.

no matter how great it would be.  politicians would go nuts.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2005, 05:38:07 AM »

I don't think they'd care if politicians would go nuts...people like ME would go nuts and frenzy to buy it...and at the end of the day, politicians are windbags - guys like me pay the bills.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2005, 05:45:31 AM »

Quote from: "Macuraf"
There's no way they'd make a game like GTA with those realistic graphics.

no matter how great it would be.  politicians would go nuts.

I'm really afraid of how this is going to affect the industry with the next gen systems, particularly military titles. With a car game, I imagine they'd simply make the pedestrians dodge out of the way (wasn't this done with Driver?), but how will a near-photorealistic FPS "clean up its act"? Make the blood green, or eliminate it entirely?

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2005, 05:47:32 AM »

Quote from: "adamsappel"

I'm really afraid of how this is going to affect the industry with the next gen systems, particularly military titles. With a car game, I imagine they'd simply make the pedestrians dodge out of the way (wasn't this done with Driver?), but how will a near-photorealistic FPS "clean up its act"? Make the blood green, or eliminate it entirely?

I don't think military titles are any problem unless they start taking gore to Soldier of Fortune levels.  The concerns for politicians are for games that let you play as "the bad guys."
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2005, 05:58:03 AM »

I want my Xbox360 now.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
yeyeman9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2005, 04:29:10 PM »

Politicians don't understand that the problem is not in the games rather than the family itself. I, ever since I was little, was told that this are simply games and not reality. This is to have fun and nothing else. If every parent would be responsible enough and let that know to their childs it wouldn't affect them or anyone.

~Gamers are born to play~

"I have a suggestion for you: get married and if you find a good wife you will be happy forever, if not you will become a philosopher" - Socrates.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2005, 05:08:08 PM »

If every parent

And therein lies the key...if parents would parent there wouldn't be a problem...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2005, 05:16:23 PM »

Ahh, Console Gold;  where you go from talking about awesome screenshots, to a mini console war, and now politics, and all in one thread.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Grue
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2005, 08:04:55 PM »

As opposed to the eariler GTA games, which politicians praised as bastions of edutainment?

:wink:
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2005, 01:30:41 PM »

FWIW (which is probably nothing), a small part of an article in the most recent EGM said that they've heard that some "big name developers" are switching their games from X-Box 360 to PS3 because the PS3 is vastly more powerful. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if such graphics were possible in the next generation systems.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2005, 05:45:42 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
FWIW (which is probably nothing), a small part of an article in the most recent EGM said that they've heard that some "big name developers" are switching their games from X-Box 360 to PS3 because the PS3 is vastly more powerful. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if such graphics were possible in the next generation systems.

Likely just fanboi speculation (not on your part).

Wake up.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: