http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 04:21:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 2 is wireless  (Read 1932 times)
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2005, 11:00:34 PM »

Doubtful?  Here's the patent for the wireless, Live-enabled controllers: #6,827,648.

Woo!
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 11:51:30 PM »

Boooo! Boo!

I do not want to replace batteries in my console controllers. I have never had a problem with cords, and I still don't. This is a big negative for little ol' me.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 11:55:43 PM »

I want wireless without batteries and with rumble...Maybe it will be like a wireless mouse or beard trimmer for that matter. You know, you put it onto a charging base while not in use.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 11:57:56 PM »

Woot!  Wireless!  I think if they provide some kind of rechargeable batteries and a charging station, this would be even better.

Currently, I have wireless controllers for all of my systems.  With the size living room I have, I need extension cables for corded controllers, and that's just a pain.  The wireless controllers all take a pair of AAs.  I just have rechargeables in each of them.  After about 50 hours of use (which lasts me a while), I throw them in the charger overnight, and I'm all set.

This is a huge plus for me.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 12:43:03 AM »

Nintendo proved to me that a good first party wireless controller is the only way to go, and the rumors are that they will have only wireless controllers as well...

What I find really funny about this is that when the Box first came out, Penny Arcade was asked out to demo some games on Live, when everyone at the session was asked what they'd like to see MS do for the Xbox, Gabe and Tycho asked for Wavebird like wireless controllers, they were laughed at and ridiculed for the though by Robbie Bach and several others, but now look at MS. Kinda funny, most of those folks left MS and now they DO have theire shit together...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 02:14:25 AM »

'bout time

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 02:22:53 AM »

Doesnt mean that is all there will be is wireless controllers. It could be just an option, much like the wavebird is for the cube. Either way, good news! smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 02:41:30 AM »

Cool. Im sick of the constantly twisted cables that are alawys getting in the way or yanking on the console and all that.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 03:27:36 AM »

If it comes with an extra set of batteries and a charger, I'll be ok.

I just really don't want to have to buy batteries for it.

And I like the docking station idea, except I have to wonder.. what do you do when your controller dies? Do you just have to wait for it to recharge? I'd find that fairly frustrating.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 04:34:33 AM »

I've got a wireless mouse that has a docking station.  I put it in the station every few nights, it's never a problem.

With most wireless devices, they have some way to tell you when the battery is running low, and they generally do it well in advance of the battery actually dying.  For example, my mouse starts flashing its low battery warning when it still has eight hours worth of juice left.  I've never had a problem with a wireless device dying in the middle of using it, as long as you pay attention to what the device is telling you.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 05:03:22 AM »

If wireless controllers are going to be the default, they better be able to turn the console on and off as well...
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 01:02:53 AM »

Quote from: "Laner"
If wireless controllers are going to be the default, they better be able to turn the console on and off as well...

Why?  So you never have to touch the console?  Add to that, "Oops, I accidentally hit reset instead of pause again," doesn't really sound too popular with me.

I'm just not sold on your idea.  The ability to turn the console ON by pressing a few buttons, or holding the start button down, sounds like a good idea.

I also hope they have their own rechargable base (or addon).  I am not particularly fond of remembering to charge sets of batteries.  My wireless mouse, however, I have no problem with.  Of course if the batteries last a good long while I would have less of a problem.

As a question for you Wavebird users, how long do the batteries typically last?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 01:04:59 AM »

I would love the ability to turn my console on and off by remote. Why do we have power button on tv remotes? At least on the remote control for the unit it would be nice to have a power button. Especially on the remote unit. I could pass on the controller, but on the remote it is essential I think.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 01:17:14 AM »

Sounds good to me, Chris.

While we are on the subject, how about an Xbox remote that doesn't look and feel like a Fisher Price "My First Remote." frown

The PS2 remote.  Now THAT is the real deal.  Of course it doesn't have a power button, either.  But damn, it sure looks cool.  And it's useful as well.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 02:31:02 AM »

Stiffler, you can go months without replacing the Wavebird batteries, and play a lot of games in the process. They last forever.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 03:16:08 AM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
I would love the ability to turn my console on and off by remote. Why do we have power button on tv remotes? At least on the remote control for the unit it would be nice to have a power button. Especially on the remote unit. I could pass on the controller, but on the remote it is essential I think.

Yes!  I wouldn't call it "essential" but it is certainly overdue and would be nice.

I can turn off my Xbox through my hacked Dashboard so why can't MS offer the same thing?

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2005, 03:38:59 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Stiffler, you can go months without replacing the Wavebird batteries, and play a lot of games in the process. They last forever.

Thanks!  This was something I was never quite sure about.  With this being the case then I say bring on the wireless!

I don't think I've had a wireless controller since some crappy thing I had way back for the NES.  And yet I wondered why I haven't had to replace the AA's in my keyboard yet...

Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2005, 06:18:59 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "Tebunker"

Thanks!  This was something I was never quite sure about.  With this being the case then I say bring on the wireless!

I don't think I've had a wireless controller since some crappy thing I had way back for the NES.  And yet I wondered why I haven't had to replace the AA's in my keyboard yet...

The wavebird is a wonder. You really can go forever without changing batteries. Wireless controllers have come a long way, and I would hope that next generation all the companies at least gave us the option of having wireless cowntrollers much the same way Nintendo has this time. Although force feedback would be nice. Perhaps with an on off switch so you could save batteries if you wanted to. Anyone try to play Mario Party 5 with a wavebird? Good luck with some of those games.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2005, 12:36:57 PM »

While we are on the subject, how about an Xbox remote that doesn't look and feel like a Fisher Price "My First Remote." frown

Actually, the Xbox remote is really a 3rd party RCA remote. Check out the replacement remotes in Best Buy, chances are you'll see em there. As to the PS2 remote, IIRC no backlit, and it didn't work with my receiver either. Sony has been making remotes for 2 decades; they should have an AWESOME remote.

Now that MS is doing the Media Centre thing, have you seen their remote? I suspect this is the kind of hardware the XBOX2 is going to be using. Hey, maybe DVD out of the box... that would be REALLY nice.

"1. The Field of the Invention

The present invention relates to a wireless controller for a video game player, and more particularly relates to a wireless controller for a video game player comprising a wireless receiver and a sound transformer that are connected with a first memory chip receiver of the video game player. The built-in microphone and the amplifier of the wireless receiver allow the user to use the wireless controller to transmit signals and communicate with the wireless receiver wirelessly. Thus without using headset with microphone, the user can control the wireless controller and also communicate with the other online player within an effective transmission range. "

Woot. Wireless Live. FINALLY. I'm not sure if they're suggesting built-in mic here, but as long as noise cancellation is great then we don't have to worry about cross-talk and feedback to all other players.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2005, 01:43:50 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Now that MS is doing the Media Centre thing, have you seen their remote? I suspect this is the kind of hardware the XBOX2 is going to be using. Hey, maybe DVD out of the box... that would be REALLY nice.

Agreed.  That is a fine looking remote.  I'd be interested in those features, but I don't have a Media Center PC.  I don't know if it works as advertised, but from what it is *supposed* to do, the Media Center connectivity of the Xbox sure sounds nice.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2005, 03:42:22 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"

Actually, the Xbox remote is really a 3rd party RCA remote. Check out the replacement remotes in Best Buy, chances are you'll see em there. As to the PS2 remote, IIRC no backlit, and it didn't work with my receiver either. Sony has been making remotes for 2 decades; they should have an AWESOME remote.

"1. The Field of the Invention

The present invention relates to a wireless controller for a video game player, and more particularly relates to a wireless controller for a video game player comprising a wireless receiver and a sound transformer that are connected with a first memory chip receiver of the video game player. The built-in microphone and the amplifier of the wireless receiver allow the user to use the wireless controller to transmit signals and communicate with the wireless receiver wirelessly. Thus without using headset with microphone, the user can control the wireless controller and also communicate with the other online player within an effective transmission range. "

Woot. Wireless Live. FINALLY. I'm not sure if they're suggesting built-in mic here, but as long as noise cancellation is great then we don't have to worry about cross-talk and feedback to all other players.

Is there a cheap, 3rd party DVD remote for the XBox that works well?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2005, 05:32:55 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Is there a cheap, 3rd party DVD remote for the XBox that works well?

Yeah. Use your own TV and/or reciever remote, and program the DVD function to RCA. You'll need to go through the codes, not all of them work (and RCA's have a buttload of different frequencies assigned).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
unbreakable
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2005, 02:23:11 AM »

I always buy plenty of rechargable batteries.  Typical front loaded/back loaded cost situation, but it is ALWAYS the way to go, and only costs about 3x as much as regular batteries.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: