http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 08:12:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 2 Info (better sell that first one Tebunker...)  (Read 2155 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2005, 10:54:52 PM »

Linkage

A lot of it is information in there was already widely known/speculated, but there were a couple of things in there I hadn't heard before.... like the inclusion of a camera?!?

Another thing to consider - as awesome and all powerful as this sounds, there have been rumblings (including in this month's EGM) that the PS3 is actually going to weigh in as being much more powerful than the Xbox 2/Next/360/Whatever....

I fear that I'll be purchasing all three systems yet again frown

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 11:46:19 PM »

yup, me two, or three, or...

i have every Nintendo system because of Zelda, and it looks like i'll end up with both XBox systems because of Morrowind/ Oblivion, and then the PS3 might come out and be too impressive to ignore.  well, i haven't run out of televisions or system selectors yet, i guess i can always try!

we'll see what kind of choices we end up with when they're done with their "focus tending" (sheesh).  i know what i want to start with:  one new XB, whatever it's name is;  one Elder Scrolls Oblivion;  a hard drive;  plus a wireless Logitech and a comfy chair.  i'll do all my research, but right now i'm not interested in a camera or Windows, but we'll see what they offer, and how they price it.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 12:36:45 AM »

IN!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 12:41:46 AM »

Reading those specs after hearing that the PS3 is even more powerful...  I'm speechless.  I can't even imagine what the future holds, at least in the eye candy department.  No doubt I'll be owning both.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 12:54:09 AM »

For what it's worth, an IBM rep gave us a tech debriefing on the cell architecture (actually a variant of it) to us a few months ago for a non-game related project.  All I could think was holy crap, I can't wait to see this in a console.... I can easily see where the assertion that the PS3 would be 'way more powerful' could be true.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 02:25:22 AM »

I want one. Still curious to see how the optional HD is going to work with the various games.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 02:27:50 AM »

Wow

I'm all over this when it comes out this Christmas!

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 06:31:32 AM »

The rumors I've seen of the "PS3 being way more powerful" come from assuming it would use the cell chip version used as an example when they introduced it awhile ago. There's no proof that the PS3 would use that version as they would have several obsticles to show they could overcome to use that version(cost, power consumption, heat issues etc). I'd bet the cell in the PS3 will be a scaled down of what was shown. Still very powerful but not the mind blowing power poeple are going gagga about.

Remember the hype of the PS2 and its "emotion engine" chip.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 12:13:51 PM »

I'm still taking this with a huge grain of salt, even if its Gamespy.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 02:15:33 PM »

While this sounds great, it's still all about the games, and for my money, and the games I personally like, they are mostly on Sony's stuff.

I just replaced my broken PS2 and gave the kids the xbox, because all the games I am interested in are on the PS2. I am willing to overlook the weaker graphics to have fun. Of course, if you like the Xbox game selection, you'll love this. Just my two cents.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 02:28:06 PM »

Microsoft is requiring developers to make all Xenon titles Live enabled. One of the key reasons for this will be revealed in the second part of this story.

Developers are being instructed to plan their games for high-definition. The baseline is 720p at 1280x720 for gameplay and video clips, 16:9 aspect ratio, 5.1 Surround Sound, and anti-aliasing. These features are the current minimum requirement.

Yes please.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 07:46:24 PM »

Any word if it will be backward compatible with Xbox games?

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2005, 07:54:07 PM »

Standard DVD only?  I would've picked up an Xbox2 day one if it supported HD-DVD (and if there was a library of movies to draw on). From a features standpoint, Sony's inclusion of Blu-Ray makes the PS3 look a lot more attractive to me.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2005, 07:59:15 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Standard DVD only?  I would've picked up an Xbox2 day one if it supported HD-DVD (and if there was a library of movies to draw on). From a features standpoint, Sony's inclusion of Blu-Ray makes the PS3 look a lot more attractive to me.

Yeah, that's an interesting decision on MS's part.  The PS2's DVD capabilities was widely seen as an early asset (particularly in Japan) and Bluray support over the competitors could definitely be a really nice bullet point for the PS3.  

I'm also interested in seeing how big next-gen games are going to be in terms of storage space.  DVD seems to still offer plenty of room but we've already had a few dual-layer releases this generation and I wouldn't be surprised to see the increase in number and detail of the textures to really start pushing the current 9 GB barrier for a single DVD release next gen.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2005, 08:40:30 PM »

http://www.majornelson.com/wp/index.php

Microsoft just gave away 1000 HDTVs to the keynote audience at the GDC.

Guess they're really pushing HiDef for the Xbox 2 after all...

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2005, 05:25:37 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Yeah, that's an interesting decision on MS's part.  The PS2's DVD capabilities was widely seen as an early asset (particularly in Japan) and Bluray support over the competitors could definitely be a really nice bullet point for the PS3.

I don't think that Blu-ray will be seen as an asset to the PS3.  In fact, they could be just as much a detriment to the system as benefit.  First there will be the cost of the drives.  Then there will be the cost of the duplication of the Blu-ray discs.  Finally, there hasn't been a determined standard for hi-def DVD's.  In fact, a third standard, HVD, was announced not all that long ago.  If the industry doesn't move towards Blu-ray and goes with another standard, you will probably find the only DVD's in Blu-ray format coming from Sony.

I think that MS is doing the smart thing.  Duplication of these are less expensive, and companies have the ability to duplicate them already.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2005, 06:10:57 AM »

Quote from: "Graham"
If the industry doesn't move towards Blu-ray and goes with another standard, you will probably find the only DVD's in Blu-ray format coming from Sony.

Lines have already been drawn for many companies.  Here's the list for each format as it stands today:

HD-DVD Supporting Studios - Warner Bros., New Line, Paramount, Universal, HBO

Likely HD-DVD Supporters - DreamWorks (because of its ties to Universal)

Blu-ray Disc Supporting Studios - Columbia TriStar/Sony Pictures (including MGM, which Sony bought...they now control a huge percentage of all movies), Buena Vista (Walt Disney, Hollywood, Touchstone, Miramax and Dimension)

Officially Undecided - 20th Century Fox, Lions Gate, Image, Anchor Bay, Criterion and many smaller distributors

It is likely Fox will go Blu-Ray since they have a seat on the Blu-Ray board, but they have not officially chosen a side.

- Thanks goes to the Digital Bits who I remembered had this a while ago and I had to look it up.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2005, 06:56:02 AM »

Quote from: "Graham"
Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

I don't think that Blu-ray will be seen as an asset to the PS3.  In fact, they could be just as much a detriment to the system as benefit.  First there will be the cost of the drives.  Then there will be the cost of the duplication of the Blu-ray discs.  Finally, there hasn't been a determined standard for hi-def DVD's.  In fact, a third standard, HVD, was announced not all that long ago.  If the industry doesn't move towards Blu-ray and goes with another standard, you will probably find the only DVD's in Blu-ray format coming from Sony.

I think that MS is doing the smart thing.  Duplication of these are less expensive, and companies have the ability to duplicate them already.

I could be wrong, but the way it was explained to me suggests Sony's system will be the best designed to deal with all eventualities on the DVD issue.  Why?  Because Sony has stated the system will be backwards compatible to PS2 games, most of which are on the DVD format.  So, they will be able to play Blu-ray as well as standard DVD's.  If it plays regular DVD's (so I was told) it will also be able to handle HD-DVD.  I could be wrong, but if that's true, Sony would be covered no matter what happens while MS would be damaged if Blu-ray wins out.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2005, 06:56:16 AM »

I don't think that Blu-ray will be seen as an asset to the PS3. In fact, they could be just as much a detriment to the system as benefit.

I don't see how it could be detrimental- it may cost more to manufacture but the price of the PS3 will be primarily driven by market factors (and in this case the Xbox 2 pricepoint in particular).  Sony will have no choice but to price the PS3 competively and as they've shown with their aggressive price of the PSP, they are willing to take a loss on hardware for market share.

Increased duplication costs- again the MSRP will be driven by the marketplace.  While there is talk of increased game prices next gen (see the other thread) Bluray won't drive that.  Again, Sony is not going to suggest an MSRP that's higher than Xbox 2 games.  In fact, Sony is very aggressive in this area already by being the only major publisher to set a $39.99 price point for most of their first party titles.  

As to the format war- its unfortunate that will happen and there is no doubt that it is seriously going to slow the adoption of a High Definition DVD standard by the masses whether its Bluray or HD-DVD.  However, by going with Bluray in PS3 that could be a pretty severe hit against HD-DVD.  If PS3 sees near the same level of adoption as the PS2, then Bluray will probably be in more homes than HD-DVD by greater than an order of magnitude which will go a long way toward consumer acceptance.

How does the consumer lose here?  At worst, regardless of movie playback capabilities, its offering a media with more storage than the competition.  It also allows many people with high definition sets an essentially free High Definition DVD playback device (assuming the games are the primary motivating factor for purchase) while competing Bluray and HD-DVD players will likely be several hundred dollars or more.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2005, 01:10:36 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was told that app. 85% of PS2 games are actually on CD (or would fit onto CD format) not DVD.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005, 01:15:55 PM »

85% of PS2 games are actually on CD

I'd say that estimate is high.  In the early life of the PS2 that might have been accurate but a good chunk of them, if not closer to the 85%, use DVD format because of the size.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2005, 07:09:16 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
85% of PS2 games are actually on CD

I'd say that estimate is high.  In the early life of the PS2 that might have been accurate but a good chunk of them, if not closer to the 85%, use DVD format because of the size.

Yeah, that estimate is way high.  Probably closer to 85% of games (if not higher) are on DVD.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2005, 07:59:49 PM »

The stuff that microsoft has planned for Live! is looking really incredible. I can`t wait till they spill some more beans!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: