http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 04:35:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBLA Texas Hold 'Em free for download right now!!  (Read 2618 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2006, 01:37:39 PM »

Saw this on Gamespot this morning: link

The gaming action picks up again next week as the long-awaited Texas Hold 'Em finally arrives on August 23. The game will have persistent bankrolls attached to each Xbox Live gamertag, so players who bet recklessly and come out on the losing end will have to go back to the lower stakes tables in order to work their way back into the games with heavy action. Texas Hold 'Em will normally be available for 800 points ($10), but Microsoft has announced that it will actually be free for download for the first 48 hours.

Awesome!  I bet people will go crazy over this.

Edit: it's up for download right now for free!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 11:49:24 AM by warning » Logged
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 02:19:11 PM »

Hopefully I have my 360 back in time to dl this.
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 02:44:32 PM »

Nice.  I was kind of disappointed that there wasn't a game released on XBLA today.

This will make up for it.  Tongue
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 02:56:56 PM »

So if you have a persistant bankroll attached to your account and you bet it all, are you fucked?  If they just give you more money to go play in the lower bet games then that's not really a persistant bankroll, is it?  I could just throw away all my money to my friends and then tell the system to hit me up with some more dough and start all over. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 11:50:00 AM »

It's up for download right now for free but only for 48 hours so get it quick!
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 06:19:02 PM »

Played the game at lunch and it is very good.  I have already lost 8000 playing online.  Sorry full house.

We need to get a GT table going tonite.....

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 06:30:45 PM »

Mm, I wish there was an option to bet, like, Gamerpoints or even Microsoft currency...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 06:31:43 PM »

I will dl it tonight!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 06:37:36 PM »

I'm all in.

(I couldn't resist)

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 06:39:14 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on August 23, 2006, 06:30:45 PM

Mm, I wish there was an option to bet, like, Gamerpoints or even Microsoft currency...

I completely agree.  Being able to play with real money via gamerpoints or something would be fun. Would that make it illegal though? 

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 07:11:46 PM »

Gambling with real money?  I think it'd be pretty amusing to see an Xbox Live Arcade game with an AO rating!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 07:54:13 PM »

I'm in afterall.  Sounds like it could be fun.  A nice game amongst friends....

nod    ninja    :slywink:

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 09:32:07 PM »

i downloaded it when i was getting ready for work at about 5:30am EST this morning...only took about five minutes, but i haven't had the chance to actually play it yet.  just out of curiosity, how easy is it to download now that we're in the middle of the day?  i'm guessing there are a ton of people trying to get the game, but it's a small download and doesn't take long at all.  anyone have trouble getting the game yet?

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 10:28:50 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on August 23, 2006, 06:30:45 PM

Yea if they let us do that It would be like opening up a can worms.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 10:36:24 PM »

What time do we want to play tonite???

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2006, 11:36:10 PM »

I was minding my own business trying my hand at the single player scenarios when Lockdown invites me into a room.  Lying in wait were Soulchilde and some other jackals that smelled fresh meat.  It was all laughs until Pingwrx showed up.  Then the knives came out, the raises went crazy, and I woke up in a bathtub full of ice missing my wallet and a kidney.  Thanks guys! icon_lol

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2006, 11:45:39 PM »

Quote from: disarm on August 23, 2006, 09:32:07 PM

i downloaded it when i was getting ready for work at about 5:30am EST this morning...only took about five minutes, but i haven't had the chance to actually play it yet.  just out of curiosity, how easy is it to download now that we're in the middle of the day?  i'm guessing there are a ton of people trying to get the game, but it's a small download and doesn't take long at all.  anyone have trouble getting the game yet?

My download has been "pending" for 45 minutes.

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 12:08:16 AM »

mine downloaded in about 5 minutes.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 12:34:16 AM »

Mine downloaded in about 10 minutes earlier...

It's a fun game, something that is very nice to have for free, but something I'd be a little "eeeeh" if I were to pay for it.  The music, while a nice idea, gets sooooo irritating by about the 10th minute...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2006, 12:41:59 AM »

Thoughts and Impressions after kicking Soulchilde's ass ... err, after playing for a bit:

1) The game is pretty much no-frills, no extras, straight up, poker.
2) The interface works.  There is nothing super innovative that I (we) saw, but it is certainly serviceable, and non-combersome for the most part.
3) Betting is easy, and the use of triggers was a good move by the developers.  
4) Countach set up our room and between he and I did some inviting.  It seemed to work pretty well, although Grue got in without an invite.  Either blind luck or his preferred player list got him into the room with us.  I would suggest if there are enough people online (on your friends list) at once, making a private room might be better.  That of course will depend on how long we all are interested in playing.
5) The chatting and stuff makes the game more fun.  Without it, playing for fake money, I'm not sure it would hold alot of people's interest for very long unless they are big Hold'Em fans, in which case, I think it wouldn't matter.
6) There is a single player component, as well as multiplayer, each with different play types including tournaments, which is cool.

Here are some highlights from the first game I was in:

1) I ended the game with more money than Soulchilde.
2) That's really the main highlight as far as I'm concerned.   icon_smile

Was fun.  I will play the game more, but mostly due to the genuinely cool people we have on our forums.  The game itself is fine, but I think unless you're in the mood to play, sit around and bullshit with the guys, etc... it wouldn't be something you would race home to do.  

Things we pretty much agreed on:

1) Getting and using the camera while playing this game could be painful.  Noone really wants to see Soulchilde's face.
2) The Ravens are going to win 10 games this season... or so someone predicted.
3) KeySJU is going to buy a racing wheel when he sees it on the shelf for Forza, even though he will tell you he won't.
4) YellowKing will tell you he "stinks at this game", then proceed to win two hands in a row and run off with your money.
5) I fold alot, and when I actually do win hands, they are for some of the smallest amounts of money imaginable.
6) ping is pretty good, but will try to get you talking about other things so you don't notice how many hands he's winning.
7) Harkonis bought a fighting stick to play Street Fighter II, and plays alot.  If he challenges you to a duel, you have been warned.
8 ) Quite a few people from our forums like to visit Alaska.

On a closing note, I think 10 to a table would be even better than 8. 

icon_wink

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2006, 12:47:52 AM »

I played for about an hour today and already have an online bank roll of 100,000k.  Fun game.  I will be on around 10 pm CST after homework (school sucks, but it will let me make the real money)

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2006, 03:42:05 AM »

Had a wonderful time playing with Lockdown and all the other guys.  I can attest and actually say that Lockdown is telling the truth.  He dominated Soulchilde it was almost too bad to watch. 

Heh, anyway, it is fun when you have people to talk to. It is an easy and relaxing game that is free, what more could you ask for. 

Maybe setup some kind of GT tournament.  Anyone Insterested????

biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2006, 05:00:02 AM »

Finally, free Live Game!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2006, 06:56:20 AM »

It's a fun game; playing it reminds me how awful I am at Texas Hold 'em, but it's fun nontheless.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2006, 12:07:55 PM »

Nice recap Lockdown... but what about the game?  icon_lol
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2006, 12:32:09 PM »

Sadly my 360 won't be back from MS in time to get this for free....

icon_evil
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2006, 12:33:59 PM »

That was some good fun last night.  Countach I don't know how you managed to keep the room free of whiny 10 year olds, but it was a pretty good crowd the whole night.  I never knew there was so much to say about food stamps.

Oh and yeah, the music is horrendous, definitely turn that off ASAP.  (You can turn it off mid-game without leaving the table.)
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2006, 12:38:46 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on August 24, 2006, 12:41:59 AM

Thoughts and Impressions after kicking Soulchilde's ass ... err, after playing for a bit:

1) The game is pretty much no-frills, no extras, straight up, poker.
2) The interface works.  There is nothing super innovative that I (we) saw, but it is certainly serviceable, and non-combersome for the most part.
3) Betting is easy, and the use of triggers was a good move by the developers.  
4) Countach set up our room and between he and I did some inviting.  It seemed to work pretty well, although Grue got in without an invite.  Either blind luck or his preferred player list got him into the room with us.  I would suggest if there are enough people online (on your friends list) at once, making a private room might be better.  That of course will depend on how long we all are interested in playing.
5) The chatting and stuff makes the game more fun.  Without it, playing for fake money, I'm not sure it would hold alot of people's interest for very long unless they are big Hold'Em fans, in which case, I think it wouldn't matter.
6) There is a single player component, as well as multiplayer, each with different play types including tournaments, which is cool.

Here are some highlights from the first game I was in:

1) I ended the game with more money than Soulchilde.
2) That's really the main highlight as far as I'm concerned.   icon_smile

Was fun.  I will play the game more, but mostly due to the genuinely cool people we have on our forums.  The game itself is fine, but I think unless you're in the mood to play, sit around and bullshit with the guys, etc... it wouldn't be something you would race home to do.  

Things we pretty much agreed on:

1) Getting and using the camera while playing this game could be painful.  Noone really wants to see Soulchilde's face.
2) The Ravens are going to win 10 games this season... or so someone predicted.
3) KeySJU is going to buy a racing wheel when he sees it on the shelf for Forza, even though he will tell you he won't.
4) YellowKing will tell you he "stinks at this game", then proceed to win two hands in a row and run off with your money.
5) I fold alot, and when I actually do win hands, they are for some of the smallest amounts of money imaginable.
6) ping is pretty good, but will try to get you talking about other things so you don't notice how many hands he's winning.
7) Harkonis bought a fighting stick to play Street Fighter II, and plays alot.  If he challenges you to a duel, you have been warned.
8 ) Quite a few people from our forums like to visit Alaska.

On a closing note, I think 10 to a table would be even better than 8. 

icon_wink

ALL LIES!  except the part where I left the table with less money than Poncho  saywhat   Anyway, looks like this will be a good game for awhile so I'll win my money back.  Luck was on his side last night  mad

Great fun all!!!

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2006, 02:13:13 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 24, 2006, 12:32:09 PM

Sadly my 360 won't be back from MS in time to get this for free....

icon_evil

You should call and complain.  Maybe they can put it on the HD for you or credit your XBL account with 800 credits.  It's not your fault your 360 died.

(you spilled your bottle of whiskey on it, didn't ya?  icon_wink)

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2006, 02:27:43 PM »

Ok I will be the dissenting vote. Its ok, but its very bare bones, and there is no reason for anyone with a free poker program on their computer to use it other than to hook up with live friends-and that is the only time I will be playing it. Still, it was free, and I get to play with you guys, so its not that bad smile
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2006, 02:34:10 PM »

This game is very addicting, especially if you get a good crowd. I think I played for around 4 1/2 hours last night. I might have played a little more but my internet connection went down, sorry about that wonderpug, it just dropped.

When I setup the game I forgot to make the seats for private use.  We did get a lot of friends to join but we also got alot of random people and they were all great.  No one was going all-in all the time and the chatting was fun, I have to get me some food stamps though(that guy was something else).  

Tips:
Turn off the music it gets old fast.
You can use the left and right triggers when you bet to increase/decrease the bet by $10 increments.
Be prepared to wait if Stankydanktoker is playing he will take forever just to check.
Talk, talk, talk.  This makes playing poker on 360 better much then on PC.

I should be on tonight..  Do we want to setup a tournament this time or just do a standard game?

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2006, 02:44:46 PM »

2 really annoying things:

1) When you join a table, it can take up to 20 minutes to get in on a hand. This makes switching tables REALLY ANNOYING and the game tedious.

2) When the host quits a table, no other people can join the table, meaning that 15 minute wait was pretty much useless.

PSN ID: EduardoX
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2006, 03:00:27 PM »

I wouldn't do the tournament just yet, the regular table seems like it'd be easier for people to jump in and out.

Let's set the blinds a bit bigger than $5/$10 this time though. slywink

And yeah, the talking is really the thing that puts this above the computer versions.  The conversation, besides being fun, helps you get a feel for personalities and how someone might bet, and voice chat conveys the cheers and frustration at the end of a good hand far better than typed chat could.

They really need to patch in the ability for new players to buy their way into the game immediately with a big blind.  I wish they'd speed up some of the animations a bit more as well, but all in all it's not that bad for a free/$10 game.  Whoever is releasing World Series of Poker game next month certainly can't be happy about this game's release.

(preemptive edit: I love the "danger, someone has posted!" warning on this forum! I agree Eduardo, both those issues could easily be fixed by allowing you to buy into the table with a big blind, and by making the host of the table transfer to someone else when the host leaves.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2006, 03:27:36 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 24, 2006, 02:27:43 PM

Ok I will be the dissenting vote. Its ok, but its very bare bones, and there is no reason for anyone with a free poker program on their computer to use it other than to hook up with live friends-and that is the only time I will be playing it. Still, it was free, and I get to play with you guys, so its not that bad smile

Yeah, didn't find too much of anything special with it.  Of course I might be biased as I lost 600 bucks when my electricity flickered and my 360 rebooted.  Apparently if you get disconnected in mid game you lose whatever you had.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2006, 03:40:49 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 24, 2006, 03:27:36 PM

Of course I might be biased as I lost 600 bucks when my electricity flickered and my 360 rebooted.  Apparently if you get disconnected in mid game you lose whatever you had.
Were you in a tournament?  If you leave a tournament, you lose all your money no matter how you leave the table. (I think)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2006, 04:12:03 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 24, 2006, 03:40:49 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 24, 2006, 03:27:36 PM

Of course I might be biased as I lost 600 bucks when my electricity flickered and my 360 rebooted.  Apparently if you get disconnected in mid game you lose whatever you had.
Were you in a tournament?  If you leave a tournament, you lose all your money no matter how you leave the table. (I think)

You can lose money by quitting instead of leaving the table.  I lost all kinds of single player money that way.  I wanted to try it out after downloading, but didn't really have time to play.  They take the money from your account right at the beginning, but don't credit your account until you leave the table.

As for my impressions, I got bored with single player quickly (possibly because the incident mentioned above started a quick path to a hole that is going to be hard to climb up from), but played for several hours last night in multiplayer.  I played with a couple of All-In kids, at first.  Literally going All-In on every hand and giggling like crazy.  But they were actually nice, and the conversation was worth the pain.  It helped that I delivered a royal smack-down pretty early on, too.  However, I soon felt the need to play with grown-ups.  I found a table with a $1k buy-in and 50/100 blinds.  Yoinks!  The group was great and we had a lot of fun when this kid came in with absolutely no clue as to how to play and couldn't be bothered to read any instructions.  People like that always wind up winning some crazy hands, for some reason.  Again, it may help that I cleared $40,000 in that game, but even if I'd lost, it would have been fun.

Bottom line, people make the difference.

The main things I'd change: animation speed (I think it's ridiculous that you have to wait for all the chips to toss in at the end of every betting round, for example; why aren't they thrown in as the game plays?), the wait to start mentioned before (though it's not too bad if the group is good), the text could be a little more legible (its very small), and I would love to see a standings function, maybe with the select button, to quickly show how much everyone has.

Overall, fun, but I'm sure it'll get better after a few weeks when the All-Inners trickle away.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2006, 11:25:56 PM »

downloaded it because it was free... played some single player and some scenarios... probably never play it again. much too slow moving for my tastes... I guess if I was just giving my money away online it might be okay while chatting, but not for the game itself.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2006, 01:53:56 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 24, 2006, 03:00:27 PM

I wish they'd speed up some of the animations a bit more as well...

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 24, 2006, 04:12:03 PM

The main things I'd change: animation speed (I think it's ridiculous that you have to wait for all the chips to toss in at the end of every betting round, for example; why aren't they thrown in as the game plays?)

you guys do realize you can turn off the animations don't you?  the game moves just about as quickly as the players act once you get rid of them.

i will agree, however, with the need to keep tables from closing once the original host is gone.  it's cool to start a table and have people jump in and out over the course of an evening, everyone having to drop and rejoin a new room when the first guy has to leave is a bummer.  it would be very nice if you could just keep a table going as long as a couple people stay behind.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2006, 02:30:20 AM »

I like it because we now have a nice 8-person private chatroom.  I actually like talking to the guys.  The poker is a distraction.

Oh shut up, I talk to 12-year old kids all day.  Now I can have the exact same conversations, but with adults!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2006, 04:47:21 AM »

Quote from: stiffler on August 25, 2006, 02:30:20 AM

I like it because we now have a nice 8-person private chatroom.  I actually like talking to the guys.  The poker is a distraction.
another good point...only way to chat with that many people at the same time in a relaxed environment.  we had a pretty good group from GT tonight and i think everyone was enjoying the conversation...playing poker was secondary

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: