http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 11:59:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBLA Double Shot this Week - EETS and Pinball FX [56k]  (Read 2127 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 23, 2007, 05:06:39 PM »

EETS Screenshots, video headed to the front page:

Pinball FX Screens, video coming to the front page.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 05:30:36 PM »

ALL OVER that pinball game unless the ball physics are completely ruined   nod

EDIT: Even that EETS game looks interesting though this is the first time I've seen screenies of it.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 05:35:27 PM »

I could go for some pinball.  Whether I'll buy is a different story.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 05:39:15 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on April 23, 2007, 05:30:36 PM

Ditto that, though the features/price ratio need to be reasonable too. icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 05:40:01 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on April 23, 2007, 05:30:36 PM

EDIT: Even that EETS game looks interesting though this is the first time I've seen screenies of it.

The PC version of EETS is really good and addictive. It wasn't the hardest game, but it was pretty fun overall. Someone described it as a cross between Lemmings and The Incredible Machine, and that is a pretty good comparison.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 07:37:08 PM »

What's EETS?

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 08:01:48 PM »

Instead of doing double-shots like this why don't they release one game a week so they can guarantee releases for later in the year.  I would prefer that to having so many weeks with nothing coming out, and it would give each game a better shot at the spotlight as well as just looking better in their PR not to have gaps like that. 

As for these two games, they both look interesting but I'll try out the demos and debate the pricepoint. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 08:21:03 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on April 23, 2007, 07:37:08 PM

What's EETS?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eets
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 08:23:42 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 23, 2007, 08:01:48 PM

Instead of doing double-shots like this why don't they release one game a week so they can guarantee releases for later in the year.

It's like you're zteH! slywink

When my Xbox returns from vacation tomorrow, I'll be trying Eets - I'm a sucker for games that allow you to tinker and allow you to set up your own solution to a problem.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 08:30:07 PM »

Well one theory is that they've finally gotten their release process worked out and will be putting new games out on a regular basis. 

I'm an optimist I know.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 08:30:28 PM »

Aargh.  I just bought Eets on Steam for my laptop.  I have no doubt I'll double dip.  Really hope that pinball is good.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 09:01:58 PM »

I played the Pinball game on partnernet and got quite a bit of enjoyment out of it.  I think there were four tables when I played, and two were good while the other two were just ok.  I recommend AGENTS, the secret agent table.  The generic-ness of the tables causes it to get a little old after a while but I enjoyed it.  I'm not a staunch enough pinball aficionado to comment on ball physics but at the time I didn't see any reason to complain.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 09:04:41 PM »

Nice!  I'm really liking the improved pipeline on these games.  I realize there is a lot more work that goes in to these games than the Nintendo VC, but seeing multiple releases on it was making me a little jealous.  Kudos to the Arcade group.  Both of these games look very nice.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 09:44:51 PM »

I'm a pinball nut, so that's easy.
Eets looks interesting enough to download, at the least.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 02:00:55 AM »

Been looking forward to Eets! And the pinball one looks like it might be pretty good. Loving these double releases.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 11:17:57 AM »

Instead of doing double-shots like this why don't they release one game a week so they can guarantee releases for later in the year.  I would prefer that to having so many weeks with nothing coming out, and it would give each game a better shot at the spotlight as well as just looking better in their PR not to have gaps like that. 

As for these two games, they both look interesting but I'll try out the demos and debate the pricepoint. 

Wouldn't having two games come out every week without missing a week be better?  Could be they finally have enough in the pipeline to do that.  Perhaps not, though.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 04:54:50 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 24, 2007, 11:17:57 AM

Wouldn't having two games come out every week without missing a week be better?  Could be they finally have enough in the pipeline to do that.  Perhaps not, though.

Maybe, if they can reliably release two games every week for the rest of the year and beyond, that would be fabulous.  Not going to happen.  I'd be very surprised if they can do that into Fall. 

I guess I would just be a little bit more conservative with releases after so many missteps in the past.  Fans are much less forgiving about missing weeks than they are with "only" getting one title every week, as we have seen around here.  Unless that only new game is something like New Rally-X...

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 08:33:09 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 24, 2007, 04:54:50 PM

Quote from: The Grue on April 24, 2007, 11:17:57 AM

I agree, they should save some of these, but maybe they were front-loading to prepare for the announcement that a few high-profile games were getting pushed to Fall.  Maybe they're just doing this to fill the dog days.  If they can keep it up through the summer, and drop off in the fall in the wake of big new titles, I'd be okay with that.

Maybe, if they can reliably release two games every week for the rest of the year and beyond, that would be fabulous.  Not going to happen.  I'd be very surprised if they can do that into Fall. 

I guess I would just be a little bit more conservative with releases after so many missteps in the past.  Fans are much less forgiving about missing weeks than they are with "only" getting one title every week, as we have seen around here.  Unless that only new game is something like New Rally-X...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 08:35:55 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

JSL

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 09:20:10 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 23, 2007, 08:30:28 PM

Aargh.  I just bought Eets on Steam for my laptop.  I have no doubt I'll double dip.  Really hope that pinball is good.

You are in luck, the XBLA version has different puzzles and a new game mode. 
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 02:51:15 PM »

Major Nelson on the EETS issue.

There was an issue with this [EETS] working, but the team has fixed it. If you downloaded it and it did not work, please delete it and download it again and you should be good to go. If you purchased it, you can delete it and re-download it again (at no additional cost.)

fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 03:13:40 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 23, 2007, 09:44:51 PM

I'm a pinball nut, so that's easy.

I tried pinball this morning. It took me all of five minutes with the trial version to convince me to make the purchase.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 03:18:17 PM »

Pinball??? Pinball???  You just made my day...  I'll echo, 'so long as the physics don't seem weird', I'm in!

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2007, 05:38:16 PM »

Quote from: JSL on April 24, 2007, 09:20:10 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 23, 2007, 08:30:28 PM

You are in luck, the XBLA version has different puzzles and a new game mode. 

Great news! Thank you.

Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2007, 06:11:22 PM »

Loving Eets!

The pinball game's camera angles aren't winning me over, but every pinball game has its own quirks. I'll keep trying the demo and see if it grows on me more. I think I'm so used to Metroid Pinball, it's hard to adjust. Tongue
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2007, 06:11:27 PM »

That pinball looks really really real  eek

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2007, 06:47:21 PM »

What they need to do is remake Epic Pinball and put that up on XBLA.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2007, 06:58:23 PM »

Quote from: Old Negus on April 25, 2007, 06:11:22 PM

Loving Eets!

The pinball game's camera angles aren't winning me over, but every pinball game has its own quirks. I'll keep trying the demo and see if it grows on me more. I think I'm so used to Metroid Pinball, it's hard to adjust. Tongue

There are 4-5 different views to choose from.  I didn't like the first few but there was one that was just like you're standing at the table and I liked it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2007, 07:15:23 PM »

Wow.  Two great releases this week. 

I still have to futz with the cameras on pinball, but it looks and plays like all the good pinball simulations I remember.  I just wish the table weren't so generic.  And that the Fresh Street Kidz table (or whatever they call it) wasn't such a pain in the ass.  I do wish there was a table creation tool.  Not for me, so much, but because I know there'd be some great tables coming.  Still, I'm looking forward to the official releases that'll undoubtedly come.

Eets is great.  It feels a little more cluttered than the PC version, and it's weird that you're limited to only 4 items on screen (unless that changes somehow on future levels, but I'm not sure how they'd do that), but I'm not finding that to be a problem so much.  I also tried the Marshmallow Madness game.  What a blast!  This feels like what I wish Boom Boom Rocket had been (though there's no rhythm involved, so I don't know why I keep thinking that).  I only wish you could play it on live.  Seems to be a huge mistake that you can't.  Hopefully, I can get the wife to give it a go.

Still, what a great week for XBLA.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2007, 09:03:49 PM »

I tried out the demo of Pinball FX (only get the Speed Machine table) and I thought it was pretty good but to me it seemed as if the ball was playing just a little bit too fast or something.  Nobody else mentioned that, am I the only one who thought this?  I also like the old school spring loaded ball launchers, not the "hit a button and blast at full speed" kind. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2007, 10:40:58 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 26, 2007, 09:03:49 PM

I tried out the demo of Pinball FX (only get the Speed Machine table) and I thought it was pretty good but to me it seemed as if the ball was playing just a little bit too fast or something.  Nobody else mentioned that, am I the only one who thought this?  I also like the old school spring loaded ball launchers, not the "hit a button and blast at full speed" kind. 

Agree on both points.  The ball does zoom to fast and I wish there was a SLOW option somewhere.  Most pinball sims have this.  It may affect gamerscore or something, who knows, but I have a hell of a time hitting the upper flipper in time.

Also, spring load is the way to go, but they do seem to be a thing of the past.

I read the Gamespot review, which wasn't especially favorable.  One of the gripes they seem to have is with wonky physics and not very believable ball movement.  I think they're crazy to the point that I wonder if they're playing an earlier build or something.  I really think the designers nailed the ball.  It has spin, the speed seems to match how it's hit (I wish it moved a little more slowly, or that I could hit with a little more power sometimes, but it doesn't seem unrealistic at all), the graphics on the ball are sharp and help gameplay with feedback on speed.  Really, what are they talking about.

I wish the nudging had a little more finesse as well.

The graphics are bland yet confusing on the tables.  That's probably my biggest gripe.  Overall, I'm very happy with it and look forward to more tables.

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2007, 11:07:04 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 26, 2007, 10:40:58 PM

Agree on both points.  The ball does zoom to fast and I wish there was a SLOW option somewhere.  Most pinball sims have this.  It may affect gamerscore or something, who knows, but I have a hell of a time hitting the upper flipper in time.

I read the Gamespot review, which wasn't especially favorable.  One of the gripes they seem to have is with wonky physics and not very believable ball movement.  I think they're crazy to the point that I wonder if they're playing an earlier build or something.  I really think the designers nailed the ball.  It has spin, the speed seems to match how it's hit (I wish it moved a little more slowly, or that I could hit with a little more power sometimes, but it doesn't seem unrealistic at all), the graphics on the ball are sharp and help gameplay with feedback on speed.  Really, what are they talking about.

The graphics are bland yet confusing on the tables.  That's probably my biggest gripe.  Overall, I'm very happy with it and look forward to more tables.

It does seem like the speed is a little fast but once you get used to it seems about right I already scored over 1,000,000 on speed machine. icon_biggrin

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2007, 11:14:05 PM »

Quote from: pingwrx on April 26, 2007, 11:07:04 PM

It does seem like the speed is a little fast but once you get used to it seems about right I already scored over 1,000,000 on speed machine. icon_biggrin

It didn't take me long to hit the 10 mill limit on the demo.  It was actually disappointingly quick considering I was just jamming the ball around and not really aiming or anything. 

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2007, 11:15:44 PM »

1,000,000?  I just got my butt whipped by a guy that got 700,000,000+ on Speed frown
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2007, 11:20:04 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 26, 2007, 11:15:44 PM

1,000,000?  I just got my butt whipped by a guy that got 700,000,000+ on Speed frown

oops mean't to put 1,000,000,000

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2007, 02:57:20 PM »

I'm really enjoying Eets.  It's a perfect little comfort game I can get a a few minutes on here and there.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2007, 03:18:29 PM »

The ball moving faster than it 'should' is why I didn't end up buying this.  Too bad; it looks great.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2007, 06:45:22 PM »

Kotaku's Pinball FX impressions:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/impressions/pinball-fx-impressions-+-a-mean-pinball-255536.php
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: