http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 02:08:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBL Games on Demand Launch Line-Up  (Read 2245 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2009, 02:32:56 PM »

apparently they just released Battlefield: Bad Company for 20 bucks.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2009, 08:20:19 PM »

They just released Ghost Recon: Advanced War Fighter... for $30 USD!! Are they crazy? I can get both this original AND GR2 for $26 plus tax at my local Gamestop.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2009, 08:30:12 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on September 01, 2009, 08:20:19 PM

They just released Ghost Recon: Advanced War Fighter... for $30 USD!! Are they crazy? I can get both this original AND GR2 for $26 plus tax at my local Gamestop.

We talking new or used from Gamestop?  And this brings up the question of whether it is fair to compare used prices with DLC prices.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2009, 08:34:49 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 01, 2009, 08:30:12 PM

We talking new or used from Gamestop?  And this brings up the question of whether it is fair to compare used prices with DLC prices.

if they both work fine i don't see why not

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2009, 08:36:22 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 01, 2009, 08:34:49 PM

if they both work fine i don't see why not

Yeah, I see the point, but it is also not new.  I guess it is really up to the buyer whether they are equal or not.  When I compare the prices, I tend to compare it to what you can get it for new.  For instance, Bad Company's price is the same for both DLC and buying it new.  Just an interesting thing to think about.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2009, 08:39:51 PM »

Well, all you are getting for the download is the bits.

You can buy used for less, toss the package and manual and then rip the disc to your drive and then you've got the same thing as the direct download, with the exception that you need to keep the disc somewhere if you ever want to temporarily delete it from your drive.

Seems fair to compare, since having "brand new" bits doesn't really matter.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2009, 08:45:38 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on September 01, 2009, 08:39:51 PM

You can buy used for less, toss the package and manual and then rip the disc to your drive and then you've got the same thing as the direct download, with the exception that you need to keep the disc somewhere if you ever want to temporarily delete it from your drive.

Well, one major difference between buying DLC and used is that the developer gets a cut of the DLC.  So, from a consumer perspective, it doesn't matter, but from a business one, it sure does.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2009, 08:51:06 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 01, 2009, 08:45:38 PM

Quote from: Teggy on September 01, 2009, 08:39:51 PM

Well, one major difference between buying DLC and used is that the developer gets a cut of the DLC.  So, from a consumer perspective, it doesn't matter, but from a business one, it sure does.

Ah, good point. However, what it means is that if MS wants to honor its royalty deal with developers and actually make sales, they have to be willing to take a smaller margin. I think it's been pointed out elsewhere they would likely make it up on volume.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2009, 09:04:18 PM »

Alright, so another question...should we expect MS to price new content at the same price as used then?  If so, should we then expect new physical media to also be priced with used games in consideration?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2009, 09:12:12 PM »

I can tell you what I don't expect: a 10 buck convenience charge for downloading GRAW when Bad Company DL is the same price as a new retail copy.

Because I can,
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2009, 09:14:01 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 01, 2009, 09:12:12 PM

I can tell you what I don't expect: a 10 buck convenience charge for downloading GRAW when Bad Company DL is the same price as a new retail copy.

Yeah, they should definitely be about the same price as a new copy at the store or maybe even $5 more for convenience.

Edit - Actually, now that I think of it, the shipping costs and such should negate $5.  They should be the same price.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:18:29 PM by The Grue » Logged

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2009, 09:24:36 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 01, 2009, 09:04:18 PM

Alright, so another question...should we expect MS to price new content at the same price as used then?  If so, should we then expect new physical media to also be priced with used games in consideration?

Well, I suppose one thing MS has to contend with is their relationship direct or indirect with retailers. For example, if they came out and sold Bad Company at $10 when Best Buy has to sell it at $20 to make a profit, there might be grumbling.

This makes me wonder about the way Gamestop prices their used games. They may charge $55 because the market will bear it, but I wonder if they started charging $30 or even $40 on recently released used games if they would run into trouble with publishers.

I think convenience is also somewhat subjective. Being able to buy at midnight is nice, but I also like to have a box and manual so I can Goozex the game away at some point. Take away the ability for me to trade away and I would like to be compensated in the form of a lower price. So personally, I think a digital download should be less than used.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2009, 09:31:12 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on September 01, 2009, 09:24:36 PM

I think convenience is also somewhat subjective. Being able to buy at midnight is nice, but I also like to have a box and manual so I can Goozex the game away at some point. Take away the ability for me to trade away and I would like to be compensated in the form of a lower price. So personally, I think a digital download should be less than used.

This is an interesting point, but I don't think publishers would ever consider lowering the price of the downloadable version because people can't trade them away.  They hate the used game business and this is was digital distribution is all about.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2009, 09:39:50 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 01, 2009, 08:30:12 PM

They aren't new at Gamestop, but I get a nice box (usually) and a manual (usually, at least at my GS). And a download isn't "new" content (from a time standpoint) if the game was released a while ago. I do think it's fair to compare them, since ultimately it's the same content (the software) that you end up playing. AFAIK, the DLC and the used game provide me with the exact same software, they are just different means of delivery. So I think that the should be considered as equal products, from the end user's point of view.

While there may be a developer's cut for the DLC, from the consumer's point of view there's no comparison. GRAW at Gamestop is $8 USD. That's $22 less expensive. I just can't see myself buying any Games on Demand until they make the pricing more competitive with the real world.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2009, 07:00:10 AM »

The oddest thing about the service is that several old games are going for $30.  Why are Call of Duty 2, GRAW, Rainbow Six : Vegas, Table Tennis, and Saint's Row $30?  Are the people pricing them under the mistaken impression that, since the games are old, they're hard to find?  I have 3 Gamestops/EBs near me, and all of them have all five titles in stock.  The total price for all 5 would be $56 plus tax.  I can almost see $30 for newer games, but $30 for 3-year-old, widely available games makes no sense.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2009, 02:58:43 PM »

next up in the line up:  Bioshock and Civilization Revolution.  30 bucks a pop for us Yanks.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2009, 03:07:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 08, 2009, 02:58:43 PM

next up in the line up:  Bioshock and Civilization Revolution.  30 bucks a pop for us Yanks.

Bioshock was already out in the US, that's for Europe now.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2009, 03:20:01 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 08, 2009, 03:07:35 PM

we're not Europe?

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2009, 03:25:43 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 08, 2009, 03:20:01 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on September 08, 2009, 03:07:35 PM

we're not Europe?
retard
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: