http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 06:48:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XB Live Content for those of us without Live?  (Read 1240 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2004, 02:58:03 PM »

Reading through the Ninja Gaiden story (and the bug stories about Madden and other sports games) got my blood boiling, and here's my issue: I don't have XB Live, hence I'm effectively screwed if I play a game that's buggy or if I want new content. For example, KOTOR. I think everyone's either experienced or heard about the random bug where you go into debug mode in your ship, as well as heard about the new content (Yavin station) for the PC version. Suppose for a second I didn't have a PC, and couldn't afford Live. Should the companies put out these updates onto CDs/DVDs so the public can obtain them without having to own the XBL service? What would the viability of this be, and would there be enough interest among gamers w/o XBL to justify this? What's everyone's thoughts on this as I'm genuinely curious.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 03:20:00 PM »

I want the new Ninja Gaiden stuff and will have to resort to creatively whoring myself out come August in order to earn favors from someone with Live.  As such, I'd love it if they'd put this stuff out on a disk.  Hell, I'd pay for it like an expansion (rather than pay the Live monthlies).  However, given the push to get people subscribed, I bet we won't see that.

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 05:07:26 PM »

Doesn't the Official Xbox Magazine occasionally have new Live content on their discs? Or am I thinking of something completely different?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 05:08:53 PM »

Enough talk!  Why isn't this forum clamoring to find a way to get me the new Ninja Gaiden?!?  As it seems, this seems to be a version that's only available through Live, and isn't even a one time download thing.  Am I going to have to kidnap Itagaki?  Again?

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 08:51:12 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Doesn't the Official Xbox Magazine occasionally have new Live content on their discs? Or am I thinking of something completely different?
Nope you're right, OXM magazine does include live content on their discs for those poor unfortunates like Mitch. At least the free ones, I don't think they have any of the new ones that cost extra $$

Granted they'll just have to wait 2-3 months after we've downloaded and got sick of it, before it'll be there for them. But hey them's the breaks for being a technology have-not.  slywink
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 11:54:43 PM »

Besides bug fixes, for which a patch should be offered free somehow, I think that this downloadable content is one of the things that drives Live.  That was one of the things that was hyped heavily in their press before it came out.  Downloadable content is just another benefit for those that sign up.

I think it would be a great idea for MS to include dl content on their Xbox Exibition discs.  If you are fortunate OXM will have it on their disc.  Ubisoft made all of their Tom Clancy dl content (that was out at the time) available on the Rainbow Six 3 demo disc which was nice.

I always figured it would be easy for MS to put updates on several of their first-party games so that those without Live could enjoy it.  I'm sure there is plenty of extra space available, extra space is often filled with demos for other games, so why not?  Of course it might not be as easy as that.

Maybe they could include Yavin on the KotOR2 disc to download.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 10:20:35 AM »

I don't have Live either and while I'd like to have it, I don't really see me getting my money's worth out of it.   I've seen a small amount of stuff on the OXM discs and I wouldn't mind waiting a couple months later to get the downloadables if that was the only alternative.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: