http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 02:37:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: X3: The Terran Conflict  (Read 7510 times)
Hotfreak
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2010, 12:31:27 PM »

Quote from: Old Negus on May 06, 2010, 10:07:18 PM

The game is pretty user friendly in some ways, with all the voice guidance and encyclopedia and all. But some other things do seem hidden away. Figuring that stuff out does give me more "ownership" of the game though, which is nice. I'm a veteran of flight sims from way back so I don't mind a complicated game or two. Glad it's not all Peggle and Mystery Case Files out there.

Quote from: Hotfreak on May 06, 2010, 11:51:49 AM

Quote from: Old Negus on May 06, 2010, 06:12:18 AM

EDIT: So I've played a little more, buying a laser. I figured out how to install it but was getting frustrated because I couldn't figure out how the dickens to actually FIRE the darn thing. Turns out you can only fire it from the rear view because it's mounted on the rear of the ship. I only found this out after scouring the web for a long time. So it's not the most user friendly of games but barring too many more issues like this it may grow on me more. Looks like I won't be engaging in combat any time soon. How the hell would that work? Ah, so much to learn...
I played the original X: Beyond the Frontier, then Xtension (so clever!), X2 and then the first X3.  Each one get more complex as more variables are added leading to more connections between systems and more refinement.  I can't imagine what the learning curve would be like for someone jumping in on the last installment.

Still, it should be doable.   Hang in there and enjoy the ride up the steep slope!
Well, the complexity will ratchet up significantly when you start getting wingmen and other AI controlled vessels.  Then there's trading, building installations and complexes, running an empire, automating trade routes, fighting large fleet battles, etc.  There's a lot to look forward to!

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2010, 04:41:26 PM »

Quote from: Old Negus on May 06, 2010, 06:12:18 AM

I just bought this thanks to the Steam sale and holy cow what a deep game. I've just scratched the surface and have tons of learning to do but I can already sense there's a huge universe to get lost in. I always compare games of this type to my favorite game of all time, Starflight, and this seems to be a first person take on that experience. I just wish there were more hours in the day so I didn't have to think about, I dunno, feeding myself.

Also, I've done a tiny bit of trading. Is there anywhere in the UI that tells you how much you bought goods for or do I need to keep pen and paper next to the computer? Maybe I've been spoiled by Space Rangers, which is another beautiful game.

EDIT: So I've played a little more, buying a laser. I figured out how to install it but was getting frustrated because I couldn't figure out how the dickens to actually FIRE the darn thing. Turns out you can only fire it from the rear view because it's mounted on the rear of the ship. I only found this out after scouring the web for a long time. So it's not the most user friendly of games but barring too many more issues like this it may grow on me more. Looks like I won't be engaging in combat any time soon. How the hell would that work? Ah, so much to learn...

So its probably a turret.  You can set turrets to automatically fire at enemy ships by clicking the autpilot, and then command buttons for your ship.  Selecting commands for combat and then turrets controls will allow you to focus on combat using your 'Main' weapons (forward view) and the rear turret will go after anything behind you.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 04:43:23 PM by Ragnarok » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2010, 12:27:16 AM »

HA!!!! *shakes fist at world* As you know I lost my manual for X3. Well I didn't really want to fool with viewing it online so this week i bought a brand new unopened X3 off eBay. Well I'll be damned if it didn't come without the manual too.!! It was unopened but seems the jewelcase 2.0 version doesn't even come with a jewelcase book. SIGH...back to online I guess. I wonder whats new in the 2.0 X3?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2010, 12:30:17 AM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on May 07, 2010, 12:31:27 PM

Well, the complexity will ratchet up significantly when you start getting wingmen and other AI controlled vessels.  Then there's trading, building installations and complexes, running an empire, automating trade routes, fighting large fleet battles, etc.  There's a lot to look forward to!

yep, there's a whole lot of game here.  I need to check and see if I bought this when it was last on sale.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2010, 12:33:58 AM »

One feature I love about the X series that I think gets overlooked:

All of the NPC ships flying around, they have jobs they are performing, and the game keeps track of every ship, at all times. 

You can target a freighter, scan it to find out its cargo, then follow it from one part of the galaxy to the other.  You can then watch it dock with a station, check the station's log to see it sold the cargo to the station, which dynamically affects prices, then it will buy what that station is selling, undock, and head back to its starting station to deliver the cargo.

If you were to travel to another sector and then come back later, you would be able to locate that exact freighter doing its job.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: