http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 08:46:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: X3: The Terran Conflict  (Read 7793 times)
baelthazar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2008, 08:47:22 PM »

So, anyone have any information on this?

http://store.steampowered.com/news/1885/

Looks like a new standalone campaign for X3, which was one of the best, with one of the largest learning curves, space economic sims of all time. I really love the concept of these games and I am interested to see what this new standalone offering is all about.

One of the major things I am interesting in is the updated UI that allows the use of only the mouse. I am a bit past my joystick days, and I wonder just how useful the mouse will really be with this. This bit alone, with the awesome gameplay of X3, would bring me back to this game.

So any news or opinions would be great on this!

Bael
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 06:33:38 AM »

Looks like it's out now - anyone got it - impressions etc?

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 03:31:49 PM »

Yeah, I'd like some feedback too if anyone has the time.  icon_biggrin

I used to play quite a bit of X3 and while I enjoyed it, these days I'm more fond of games that I can just instantly pick up and play without having to learn a whole bunch of new stuff.

So I'll enjoy impressions but I'll stick to Civ 4 and similar games. For now...

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 07:02:33 PM »

It's out? I thought it was the 17th? Hope I can order it here in Europe with a US credit card...
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 08:43:54 PM »

Yeah, this ordering from Europe is a pain in the keister. Steam requires that you live in the same place as your credit card billing address. Now isn't that just not convenient. I have some Carte Bleu thing, so I guess I can use that, but who knows what that is going to do.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 09:27:24 PM »

I really enjoyed X2, but the first X3 left me cold for some reason.  Perhaps I was playing it inefficiently, but it seemed like it would take a dozen hours of small-profit trade runs to afford even a stripped down transport, and there was a dearth of available missions to help jumpstart your bank account.  That was long before the big content patches that followed, so I don't know how the game improved later.

Is this new X3 going to see a regular retail release, or will it only be available through Steam and the Egosoft website?

-Autistic Angel
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 09:19:29 AM »

That's precisely the problem I had with X3.  I was trading for bloody ages before I finally earned enough money to buy another ship, and then I realised I'd need at least twice that amount to kit it out and still have enough trading capital to continue.  This was after days of play, at which point I reluctantly quit playing.  I know I'd love X3 if only I could get started, but I just don't have that kind of patience.

I realise there are easier starting options but it just wouldn't feel right.  I suppose I'm too "hardcore," to my detriment.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 12:14:54 PM »

Well i have just picked this up this morning even though i don't have enough time to play Warhammer let alone a space sim.

Anyways according to the forums it is a lot easier to afford a few new ships earlier on in the game and get a few nice bits. Most are saying this is the game that X3 should have been.

I'll let you know when i have played a bit. £17.99 from play.com is not a bad price.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 02:32:59 PM »

Graphically X3 seriously wowed me, but after I got past the 'pretty shinies' phase it felt empty, almost sterile compared to Freelancer.  I'd be interested if they manage to bring the universe to life better this time around.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 08:20:04 PM »

More info on X3: The Terran Conflict gameplay!!  icon_biggrin

I guess since I liked the earlier versions of the game - which, btw, may be because I picked 'em up for $5 and because I was "in the mood" for what is at start a relatively sloow-pace (in terms of acquiring bitchin' ships) - I guess I'll LOVE this new iteration.

Or will I?

Back when I was a serious gamer, I'd have already bought and been playing.

Now, I'm so lethargic and unmotivated, I'd rather play a game that I already know how to play!!

But I enjoy reading your impressions of gameplay!

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 09:15:54 PM »

Well, I got over my regional error by having someone in the States gift the game to my account. Worked, but not exactly what I wanted to do.

Anyway, I am going to play some tomorrow, I have no Joystick, so I will comment on that. I loaded it up, seems that the UI is vastly improved, although I only glanced over a few things. I play the merchant route more than anything, so I didn't get to see the firing of weapons (the merchant ship has no weapons to begin with). One of the cool things I noticed is, once you dock with a station (autopilot seems easier to use now) you can click on a resource and you get a voiceover explaining said resource, how to get it, and what it is used for. The same is true if you click on information for a station. I don't remember this in the original version, but is may not be new. I am excited to see how fast I can build up my trade empire. I remember that you could get started rather quickly in X2, but in original X3, it seemed to take much much longer to afford stations, other freighters, etc. It also helps to start, at least as the merchant, with a time compression drive. Seriously, who wants to watch every single second of long distance space flight!

Bael
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 09:43:51 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay
Graphically X3 seriously wowed me, but after I got past the 'pretty shinies' phase it felt empty, almost sterile compared to Freelancer.

X3: Reunion even felt sterile and lifeless compared to X2.  For what it's worth, I've read several comments from people who feel that Terran Conflict is a big improvement in that regard.

On the other hand, people have also been reporting on a couple missions that suffer a weird bugs.  Egosoft is really good about supporting games after their release, though.

I can't find any indication from any major retailer that this game is going to see a general release here in the States, so I'm pretty close to buying this through Steam.  Custom mod content can be pretty valuable in this series -- does anyone know how Steam games handle third-party mods?

-Autistic Angel
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 02:05:18 AM »

They never fixed the slot view in any of the  X Universe games and this is a view I find essential for immersion in flight simms. It is so poor in X games it reminds me of old Colecovision games.

Its hard to think of a flying games that has a poorer more unrealistic slot view, even the old Wing Commander series had it right.

So as long as this remains unfixed its a no sale for me.

Byte me
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 07:30:24 AM »

Anzac, what do you mean by slot view?
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 06:19:59 PM »

Well i've done the tutorial which takes about 10 mins then it's like right what now. Still wish there were a few early pointers for new players like, visit here for trade, visit here for warfare even if its only 34 or 5 quests for each to get you set.

I like the mouse controls, much improved, love the graphics as well. I'm just going to wandre in space and see what i can pick up to start with. 1 problem i have is it feels like you need a few hours interrupted to really get into it an di find that hard to find rather than the odd hour here and there, but thats more my fault than the game.

ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 11:00:13 PM »

The slot view is the view directly behind your ship.
Move right and you can see along the right side of your ship to the nose.
Same for left, top, and bottom. This view is very fluid and gives you a feel for your craft as it twists and turns.
In the X series the slot view is fixed. There is no movement along the 3d of your ship. In this view there is no 3d shipwise.
What you see is a 2d view of the rear of your ship. Very unrealistic. Yet in the flyby view your have the fluidity
and 3d effects that should have been included in the slot view.

Byte me
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 07:25:34 PM »

You are one hard man to please ANZAC...  Tongue
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 07:35:29 PM »

I think I know what ANZAC means.  He'd like a third-person view which operates similarly to the Rogue Squadron games where the behind-the-ship view lags slightly behind its maneuvers to provide a more fluid feel.  By comparison, the "slot view" in the X games is rigidly locked onto the vessel itself, so it feels more like the the universe is rotating around your stationary vessel.

The engine is so moddable that I suspect it would be possible to add the sort of view he'd like, but it isn't in any of the games so far.

On the plus side, Terran Conflict definitely seems to pickup a lot faster than Reunion did.  I only started playing Sunday evening, and I've already made enough money to purchase a second transport ship and a "pilot" (read: Trading Software Mk3) to fly it autonomously.  I was also fortunate to discover a trading outpost that seems to keep a steady supply of Advanced Satellites in stock, so I've been seeding those in heavily trafficked systems so I can receive pricing updates in real time.

Terran Conflict still suffers from an intimidating lack of information about many of its features.  As far as I can tell, the only way to learn what "Trading Software Mk2" or "Special Command Software Mk1" actually do is to shell out the money to install them.  When my new pilot responded to the command to become a "Universe Trader" by basically parking his ship, I had to do some research online to learn that he's too inexperienced to execute that command.  Even the tutorial, which does walk you though some of the basic gameplay tenets, fails to show you how to set a target or chart a course.

That said, if you're willing to spend a little time getting comfortable with the controls and doing a little experimentation, my impressions so far are pretty positive.  I'll be very interested to see how my new employee works out, and I think my next goal will be to open up some trade routes with the Boron....

-Autistic Angel
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 09:51:30 PM »

Anyone make the Kessel run in 12 parsecs yet?

(Yes, I know a parsec is a measure of distance not time - there's a logical reason why this still makes sense. It has something to do with wormholes and nitrous oxide boosts  icon_wink ).

As for the latest X3 allowing you to more quickly acquire a worthy vessel; I'm all for that though there were already ways around that problemo. I'm intrigued but swamped with competing interests!

ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 02:30:21 AM »

You are right Autistic Angel, that is exactly what I mean.

I play a lot of flight Simms and this may have spoiled me, but I really am used to that view and have come to expect it.
It would have been so easy to include it since its almost there in the fly by. crybaby

Freelancer is a good example of how this view should work.

Anyway, I think X3 gave you the best feeling of space of all the X Games, but I also found the progress bar to be too slow.
For some reason, of all the X Games , I found X2 to be the best, So far at least.

Kinda need something that combines the fluidity and ease of control of Freelancer, the beautiful rendering of space in X3, and the trading and ship upgrading of Frontier, Elite 2. We can dream, right?

Byte me
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 10:11:26 PM »

I'll agree with all that ANZAC, if we could get something as easy to jump into as Darkstar One, but with the ability to have your own living universe full of your own living fleet like X3, that would be awesome.

Still, TC seems to rectify some of the problems. I made some serious cash in a few minutes and more in the course of an hour or so. I had to turn off post-processing for a bit better performance (and my rig is pretty decent, for a laptop). But I am running at 1440X900, so the resolution looks good. The backdrop is still stunning. I never played X3 as a combat sim, funny enough. I always like the Merchant route better. The mouse controls are smooth, hard to really tell because the initial merchant ship controls like a hog. You can set autopilot, which is actually a pretty nice way of doing things. I didn't remember the option of installing a mining laser and mineral scoop to your ship, but I saw these in the equipment dock today. Not sure how they fully work, atm, or what ship I would install them on. They are a little expensive, about half the cost of a new ship or so.

I think this was worth the cash, but like any X game, you have to invest so time in it to see some dividends.

Bael
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 03:16:57 PM »

I've never played X2 or X3, although I've played a number of similar games going as far back as Elite on the C-64. I've been waiting for X3 to arrive on the gametap service. X2 is already available there, but I've held off as I've heard X3 is the better of the two. Meanwhile I've been playing Darkstar One and I've been quite impressed with it. In particular, I've been pleasantly surprised at how well it plays with a X360 controller.

Additional campaigns like the 1 that started this thread of course won't be available in a gametap download. I'm now considering possibly buying a boxed version of X3 or downloading it on Steam. One question I have for anyone who has the game is:

I'm aware the game has native support for widescreen resolutions, but can you use any resoltuion that's available on your PC or does it just support standard widescreen resolutions, i.e. 480x854, 1280x720, 1920x1080, etc?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 04:34:11 PM »

for those interested they just released X3 Gold, which includes Reunion and Terran Wars.  no word on what DRM it has though.

Because I can,
BrianE
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 08:24:04 PM »

Picked this up today, back of box says DRM FREE.
2 DVDs, 1 CDs, 0 Manual

If all the world's a stage...then I want better lighting.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 08:54:08 PM »

Lost my manual so didn't play much past 10 minutes of it. Someone here or Oo posted a link to the manual for me though so may go back to it. im thinking Ill play Darkstar One first though. Or Star Wolves 1.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 10:10:05 PM »

You do not need any manual to play this, I doubt I ever looked at it

All you need is available at the egosoft.de forums.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
BrianE
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2010, 02:05:02 AM »

Haven't installed yet but I assume that the manual is a pdf on one of the disks...sure miss the days of having nice thick game manuals to read on the crappper!

If all the world's a stage...then I want better lighting.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2010, 05:25:23 PM »

Still, if you wan't to progress faster your time is better spent at the forums.

Becides, you can bring a laptop to the crapper slywink.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2010, 12:27:58 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on February 20, 2010, 08:54:08 PM

Lost my manual so didn't play much past 10 minutes of it. Someone here or Oo posted a link to the manual for me though so may go back to it. im thinking Ill play Darkstar One first though. Or Star Wolves 1.
For whatever it's worth, Darkstar One just didn't do it for me - it felt as if the "open universe" was a little too much on rails.  X3 Terran Conflict is a lot more enjoyable for my play style, although I did use the manual.
Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2010, 09:31:31 PM »

New 2.6 patch released.

This update brings new features and improvements for you to enjoy including a new Community mission set, called A New Home, and the addition of Achievements for STEAM users. Also featured is a new gamestart based on the classic Argon Prime start from previous games.

Version 2.6 also features:

* Improved rendering performance
    * Improved chances of the pirate variation in the Freight Scan mission
    * Fixed targeting issues with stations after a complex was destroyed
    * Fixed several issues with the Freight Scan mission
    * Fixed captured ships from Assassination missions being removed
    * Fixed missing difficulty levels with the Destroy Convoy mission
    * Fixed mission dialogs on ships starting on the wrong option
    * Fixed several minor mission issues
    * Fixed weapon information display for ships with only missile turrets
    * Fixed missing wares for sale on the Goner Temple
    * Fixed Sector Traders constantly buying at average price
    * Fixed several text issues with German text files

Download here

They also released Bonus Package 4.1.00.

The Bonus Package consists of a selection of scripts written by player community members. Egosoft has selected them as extensions that fit well into, and do not destroy the balance, of the game. The scripts have been signed and therefore they are enabled without activating the Script Editor.

The included scripts:

* Commodity Logistics Software MK1 (2010-04-27)

This software supports the pilot in coordinating his internal production logistics. It will enable a pilot to collect orders from different consumers within your enterprise and coordinate them with chosen suppliers. Therefore, it is possible to deliver the products from several suppliers of a single resource to different consumers.

* Commodity Logistics Software MK2 (2010-04-27)

This software allows the pilot to plan a route. The pilot is instructed to follow a given route and the corresponding commodity transfer orders for each intermediate stop entered. This enables the pilot to fulfil special tasks within the company or even at different stations. The route entered will be followed repeatedly until the pilot receives new orders.

* Commercial Agent (2010-04-27)

The Commercial Agent can serve all the needs of a single player station or complex, both buying resources and selling products as necessary. But in order to unlock all its abilities an Agent must train by carrying out simple duties for a while.

* Dockware Manager (2010-04-27)

A small extension to add wares or remove wares from player owned Trading Stations, Equipment Docks or Headquarters. The Manager can set limits for the different wares for the player Headquarters too. These limits get considered by Commercial Agents and Commodity Logistics MK1 pilots.

* Missile Defense Mosquito (2010-04-27)

This software protects a ship - or a whole convoy that the ship is part of - against missile attacks and fighter drones by using Mosquito missiles.

* Turbo Boost (2010-04-27)

The Turbo Boost device is capable of temporarily speeding up a ship beyond what’s normally possible.

Bonus Pack download here

(HBZ)
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2010, 01:06:55 AM »

Is the bonus pack already added to the Steam version, or require another DL?
Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2010, 05:57:14 AM »

The bonus pack thread on the Egosoft forums says no.  It's an optional add-on so it's not automatically installed by Steam.

(HBZ)
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2010, 09:52:45 AM »

i finally caved and bought this on sale. i love me some space sims, but wtf. i feel like i need to learn another language lol. I found the terran conflict for dummy guide and will probably just follow that to start. from what i'm reading the fun in the game is building an empire and kicking ass while the story sorta sucks. which is fine, i just wanna blow shit up anyways in space.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2010, 03:55:11 PM »

I remember the original X3 had Starforce (which I think got removed via a patch later on), they didn't put that  lovely piece of drm in with the Terran conflict did they?

Because I can,
Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2010, 05:52:20 PM »

DRM was Tages.  It was removed with the 2.5 patch though.

Jersoc:  TC seems easier to control than the previous versions to me.  There's still some learning curve though.  I'm no expert, I've only played a few of the starting missions, but here's some advice to get you going.  Important keys to remember are:

Space:  switches between free-flight and mouse controls
Shift-A:  autopilot
J:  SETA (speeds up time)
X:  accelerate
Z:  decelerate

There are more but that will at least get you around.  In mouse mode most of your options are available on the bar on the left.  Best way to get around is to tag an object in mouse mode (you can pan around by holding the left mouse button) then hit autopilot.  It will go to the object and if it's a station in will dock, if it's a gate it will jump, etc.  If you're going to a distant object hit J so you're not waiting as long.  Everything is a distant object in this game so you'll be using J a lot.

If you're on a mission most of your targets will be selected for you as you go so it's not too hard to figure out where to go.  You can just autopilot step by step until you get to your objective.  For combat get close to the enemy (you can autopilot to them too), when you're within firing range hit Space for free-flight and start blasting (right mouse button).  Adjust your speed with X and Z.  Combat plays like Freelancer for the most part.

(HBZ)
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2010, 02:10:37 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on May 02, 2010, 09:52:45 AM

i finally caved and bought this on sale. i love me some space sims, but wtf. i feel like i need to learn another language lol. I found the terran conflict for dummy guide and will probably just follow that to start. from what i'm reading the fun in the game is building an empire and kicking ass while the story sorta sucks. which is fine, i just wanna blow shit up anyways in space.

Yeah, the story is weak but building your empire is fun.  I just outfitted two M2 destroyers, a missle frigate and have several squads of heavily trained marines to start capturing some of the larger battleships.  I took over a sector and made it my home with an equipment dock, missle and torpedo production facilities, a crystal fab and energycell hub, ore and silicone mines, plus an entire fleet of corvettes, small warships and fighters galore.

Its good to see such a strong community for this game.  Good space sims are few and far between these days.

Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2010, 06:12:18 AM »

I just bought this thanks to the Steam sale and holy cow what a deep game. I've just scratched the surface and have tons of learning to do but I can already sense there's a huge universe to get lost in. I always compare games of this type to my favorite game of all time, Starflight, and this seems to be a first person take on that experience. I just wish there were more hours in the day so I didn't have to think about, I dunno, feeding myself.

Also, I've done a tiny bit of trading. Is there anywhere in the UI that tells you how much you bought goods for or do I need to keep pen and paper next to the computer? Maybe I've been spoiled by Space Rangers, which is another beautiful game.

EDIT: So I've played a little more, buying a laser. I figured out how to install it but was getting frustrated because I couldn't figure out how the dickens to actually FIRE the darn thing. Turns out you can only fire it from the rear view because it's mounted on the rear of the ship. I only found this out after scouring the web for a long time. So it's not the most user friendly of games but barring too many more issues like this it may grow on me more. Looks like I won't be engaging in combat any time soon. How the hell would that work? Ah, so much to learn...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:35:14 AM by Old Negus » Logged
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2010, 11:51:49 AM »

Quote from: Old Negus on May 06, 2010, 06:12:18 AM

EDIT: So I've played a little more, buying a laser. I figured out how to install it but was getting frustrated because I couldn't figure out how the dickens to actually FIRE the darn thing. Turns out you can only fire it from the rear view because it's mounted on the rear of the ship. I only found this out after scouring the web for a long time. So it's not the most user friendly of games but barring too many more issues like this it may grow on me more. Looks like I won't be engaging in combat any time soon. How the hell would that work? Ah, so much to learn...
I played the original X: Beyond the Frontier, then Xtension (so clever!), X2 and then the first X3.  Each one get more complex as more variables are added leading to more connections between systems and more refinement.  I can't imagine what the learning curve would be like for someone jumping in on the last installment.

Still, it should be doable.   Hang in there and enjoy the ride up the steep slope!

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2010, 08:54:44 PM »

I caved in and bought this during the steam sale as well.  I was a fan of the original so I'm looking forward to playing this as I just finished ME2 last night.  Starflight was another one of my all time favorites so I enjoy spending a lot of time in these rich games.

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2010, 10:07:18 PM »

The game is pretty user friendly in some ways, with all the voice guidance and encyclopedia and all. But some other things do seem hidden away. Figuring that stuff out does give me more "ownership" of the game though, which is nice. I'm a veteran of flight sims from way back so I don't mind a complicated game or two. Glad it's not all Peggle and Mystery Case Files out there.

Quote from: Hotfreak on May 06, 2010, 11:51:49 AM

Quote from: Old Negus on May 06, 2010, 06:12:18 AM

I played the original X: Beyond the Frontier, then Xtension (so clever!), X2 and then the first X3.  Each one get more complex as more variables are added leading to more connections between systems and more refinement.  I can't imagine what the learning curve would be like for someone jumping in on the last installment.

Still, it should be doable.   Hang in there and enjoy the ride up the steep slope!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: