http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 08:24:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: X2: The Threat  (Read 2741 times)
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2005, 10:03:40 PM »

My Logitech Wingman Extreme has been collecting dust, and I would like to change that.  I am thinking about picking this game up, as well as MechWarrior 4:  Compilation.  I know I want MechWarrior 4, but I am not sure about X2 yet.

I know X2 is a sequel, so I tried to play the demo for the first game.  The graphics, sound, and controls were all messed up, so I am not going to bother.  If the story in X2 is heavily based on the prequel, will I be confused?

I would also like some recomendations for Sci-Fi sims.  Stuff like the previously mentioned games.  I also liked Echelon a bit.
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 10:17:09 PM »

X2 is ok and you dont have to have played the first one at all. That said it is VERY short. Just when I thought the game had actually started it was really the last mission. Very lame.

As for other stick fun sci-fi sims...

Freespace 1 and 2
Wingcommanders..any of them

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 10:41:07 PM »

If you're looking for X2, check your local target for the clearance section. I picked the game up there last week for 6.98 .

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 01:34:48 AM »

Also make sure you put the latest patch on.  It fixes a TON.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 02:13:02 AM »

It still doesnt fix the incredibly unresponsive joystick, the enemy AI that programs them to do only one thing in a dogfight: ram you, and other issues.
Its still not a very good game. Here is the list, in order of which I think are best, of the space sims that I think you need to play (keep in mind that I am trying to narrow how long ago we go back, so no Wing Commanders, for instance):

1. Freespace 2. Pure genius. Brilliance in the form of a space sim. Captivating story, frantic, fantastic space sim gameplay. Perhaps the best implementation of what we might imagine future naval vessels woudl be like. Enormous, massive slow lumbering capital ships, powerful beam weapons, flak cannons, the whole nine yards. Some of the best missions ever for a game of this type, and graphics that honestly look almost top notch today.
Downside: Almost impossible to find. Runs over 80 bucks at auction sites.

2. This one was tough, but I decided eventually to give it to Freelancer. The huge universe, the superb graphics, the fun (Although simplistic due to the mouse control) combat, the many, many ships to buy and upgrade, the suprisingly interesting and constantly changing story with a superb ending, the ability to make money virtually any way you want, and the also suprisingly capable multiplayer universe make this both a run on sentence and Freelancer a very good game. I wish I had joystick control and tighter flight mechanics, more detailed and differentiated weapons, but it still good.

3. This might be a little bit of an upset, but I am giving the nod to Starlancer here. Excellent presentation, superb story (for this type of game obviously), and interesting characters, both allies and villains. A well thought out, appropriately fleshed out universe (apparently sort of the other side of known space from where Freelancer takes place I think) makes the game interesting. The fact that its still the same old countries just in space in the same old sort of cold war power blocs ends up not being old or played out, it creates a fun tension and the typical old "man I wanna beat up those nasty ruskies and commie chinese" type feeling. Very good graphics, good capital ship implementation (very, very blue water navy-slow ponderous torpedoes, flak cannon, etc). A couple missions are frustrating, but they have some cool fighters and weapons, and the combat is very good.

4. Descent: Freespace: I highly reccomend you play this before freespace 2. Superb story, great villains, excellent combat. The captial ships aren't very well realized in this earlier iteration, which kind of detracts from it, and the graphics are not so great, but it holds up suprisingly well.
Gorath
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 02:38:29 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
X2 is ok and you dont have to have played the first one at all. That said it is VERY short. Just when I thought the game had actually started it was really the last mission. Very lame.

I haven´t played X², but isn´t everybody saying this is a trade sim in space, like Elite by David Braben? Something you have to play for 30 hours before it really takes off?

Now playing:
The Moment of Silence
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 05:27:18 AM »

I will have the see if I can find both Freespace games.  They both look great to me.  I will look into Starlancer as well.

The main reason I want to pick up X2 is because you can be a merchant.  I like trade games.  I played a few hours of Freelancer, but the damned mouse controls had me bored out of my mind during dogfights.  I might give it another shot anyway.
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 02:51:41 PM »

Quote from: "Gorath"
Quote from: "Daehawk"

I haven´t played X², but isn´t everybody saying this is a trade sim in space, like Elite by David Braben? Something you have to play for 30 hours before it really takes off?
Yes. I played this game a long time and its not a good combat space simulator. But it is a very good trade sim based in space. As mentioned, the story is short. But the story is not what you play this game for. The main attraction of the game is empire building.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 03:21:53 PM »

You might also try one of the latest entries to the Sci-Fi sim genre: Starshatter.

Nice graphics, well thought out game systems, ability to fly fighters and command capital ships, campaigns that keep track of each sides order of battle and losses.

Very fun game.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 03:48:18 PM »

Im looking forward to Star Wolves

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 12:05:43 AM »

How about Nexus: The Jupiter Incident?

I've not played it (or looked for reviews), but it sounds like it might be in line with what you are looking for.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 04:50:16 AM »

What's keeping Edge of Chaos off your list, Rage? I think the flight and combat model is as satisfying as FS2, but the much more open-ended gameplay puts it at the top for me.

Tachyon: The Fringe is a very enjoyable stick game, as well, and has the added bonus of being voiced by Bruce Campbell.

Ale
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 05:18:38 AM »

Quote from: "Alefroth"
What's keeping Edge of Chaos off your list, Rage? I think the flight and combat model is as satisfying as FS2, but the much more open-ended gameplay puts it at the top for me.

Tachyon: The Fringe is a very enjoyable stick game, as well, and has the added bonus of being voiced by Bruce Campbell.

Ale

Well, the biggest reason is that originally I could not get kmore than about 2 hours into the game because of a game-destroying bug at the home base that was eventually fixed (And that I fussed at Infogrames about nearly 10 times before posting a review that read "I cannot review the game since infogrames refuses to acknowelege a fatal crash bug). Anyways, everytime i get interested in trying it again, I cant find it. Word is ATari is now selling it for a good price, and I will pick it up to help revise that list. One day I will make a bigger, expanded list, since i recently played through FS1, am starting FS2 again, and am halfway through Starlancer again. God I love this genre. How long will it be until we see another classic? Or will we ever?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2005, 06:26:21 AM »

Quote from: "Alefroth"

Ale

Damn you! You finally guilted me into doing it. I bought it from Atari tonight. 17 bucks shipped or something. DAMN YOU! smile

On another note I am exactly haflway (12 of 24 missions) through Starlancer on this play though, and loving almost every second of it! Fantastic game, held up beautifully.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2005, 06:49:11 AM »

if ya like trade and fightin - get Privateer!  its awesome love it (the original more than the second, though the second has some sweeter graphics that ya might be able to stand today - it flies more like tie fighter while the first is more wing commander).  oh and tie fighter is the best flight sim... ever... dont argue just accept it smile - if ya want a prettier version (kinda) of that grab alliance
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2005, 07:08:04 AM »

Quote from: "Doopri1"
if ya like trade and fightin - get Privateer!  its awesome love it (the original more than the second, though the second has some sweeter graphics that ya might be able to stand today - it flies more like tie fighter while the first is more wing commander).  oh and tie fighter is the best flight sim... ever... dont argue just accept it smile - if ya want a prettier version (kinda) of that grab alliance

First-where did you find privateer nowadays? Second, how did you ever get it to work proper speed on an XP machine?? I LOVED LOVED LOVED every second of privateer.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2005, 07:11:49 AM »

oh and tie fighter is the best flight sim... ever... dont argue just accept it smile - if ya want a prettier version (kinda) of that grab alliance

Um no. No way will I take that without arguing. Taking into account everything, including when the games were released and how ahead of the times they were, I would put my top 5 all time, something like this (will provide details later, too tired now):

1. Wing Commander 2
2. Privateer
3. Tie Fighter
4. Freespace 2
5a. Wing Commander 3
5b. Freespace 1
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2005, 07:05:01 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"

First-where did you find privateer nowadays? Second, how did you ever get it to work proper speed on an XP machine?? I LOVED LOVED LOVED every second of privateer.
Ebay. And you can slow things down using that moslo thingie.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2005, 08:43:47 PM »

Quote from: "FlyingElvis"

Need further info frown
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2005, 02:48:49 AM »

Need further info frown
http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/basic.asp

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2005, 03:23:38 AM »

i hope that last link from elvis helps Rage cause youre not gonna like either of my answers

1) i never let that baby go from when i first bought it AND

2) um yeah hehehe when i started playin xbox i utterly neglected my pc - meanin that its old terrible sucks and runs off a processor that is slower than most peeps video cards so i have no problem with runnin it on xp - hehehe my problems are more along the lines of runnin xp (or anythin other than dos - okay thats a joke but not by too much smile)

wasnt this game unbelievable though?  i never put it in the same category as tie fighter - it was too open ended - sure you were always dog fightin but it never felt like that WAS the game ya know?  it was just one of the many awesome things you did - i dunno how to explain it - while in tie fighter all you did was fight, privateer you might be runnin spice then not be able to dump your contraband in time and hafta duke it out; or maybe goin to some remote outpost to buy some sweet upgrades or... damn can we make a thread just to gush about this one? i actually might have to fire it up.  but the bottom line is i never could bring myself to compare the two because privateer was so much MORE - if i had to it would be #1 - that said i dont like the wing commander / privateer "feel" of combat as much as tie fighters - that always seemed much smoother and more responsive so wing commander alone was never high on my list.  oh yeah and freespace - damn!  i loved that one too - never played the second as much but in my sci fi flight hierarchy it rounds out the top 3.  how crazy fun was buzzin the cap ships the first time - wow, that ad in pc gamer wasnt lyin hehehe - im sorta a star wars whore so Alliance was awesome to me too - these games are always tops on atmosphere (except hmm shit which was the multiplayer one?)
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2005, 10:12:19 PM »

I justed played some of the training mode in the X2: The Threat demo.  Rage was right on about the enemies ramming.  It was comical.  I killed off more than half the baddies in the combat training inadvertently, by being rammed into.  The joystick did not feel good at all, either.  About as responsive as using the keyboard.  It still seems interesting though.

I downloaded the Edge of Chaos demo, and it crashes about 95% of the time.  Not sure what the problem is, but I hope to get ahold of the retail version anyway.  I got to fly around with it, and loved the way the ship feels.

Decent: Freespace and Starshatter are two games I never considered much until this topic.  I will have to give both a lookover.
Gorath
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2005, 11:20:00 PM »

The X² demo is several patches behind. Afaik the ramming problem and the joystick issues have been addressed.

Now playing:
The Moment of Silence
rslifka
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2005, 05:01:31 AM »

Quote from: "Gorath"
The X² demo is several patches behind. Afaik the ramming problem and the joystick issues have been addressed.

Every patch supposedly addresses ramming.  I put so many freeeking hours into X2 figuring I'd just trade up the place and explore until the joystick was fixed.  Nothing changed.

How can those guys make such a detailed game but not get control right when *so many before them  have*.  It's not like they don't have anything to go by.  Hell, copy Freelancer's mouseflight!!!

Sorry but their lack of action over so long really upset me.  So many times the fanbois on the support forum would stick up for them, reinforcing the "it's by design" proclamations.

Rob
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2005, 02:55:38 PM »

The ramming problem in X2 is overblown. Once you A. patch it up B. upgrade your ship and C. have experience with the flight model, it becomes a non-issue. With that said, if you are looking for a space sim game for combat, X2 ain't it.

rslifka
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2005, 04:51:13 AM »

The ramming problem in X2 is overblown. Once you A. patch it up B. upgrade your ship and C. have experience with the flight model, it becomes a non-issue. With that said, if you are looking for a space sim game for combat, X2 ain't it.

I still disagree.  Don't let the faithful fool you.

It's why I started trading and stopped fighting.  Had 3-4 factories going, picked up a nice ship and upgraded the engines, control, etc. and still no dice.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: