http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 04:03:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: X-Men Legends on the PS2: Ewwwww.  (Read 1890 times)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2005, 07:04:27 AM »

So I finally got my grubby mitts on a copy of X-Men Legends at a reasonable price ($25).  I'd finally get to play the much-lauded action-RPG I'd been waiting for!  Yay!

Then, well, the game got done loading.

Holy graphical inferiority, Batman.  This game looks like ass.  Blurry, highly pixelated graphics.  Retarded demi-cel-shading on everything.  A five-second loading time just to get to the inventory/level up screen.

The screenshots looked OK, but damn, this game is hideous in motion, especially cosidering the painfully low FPS.

The sound is pretty bad too.  The musical scores are annoying.  Character voices are pretty good, but the recording quality varies greatly and is very jarring.  Plus the characters only have one or two lines for every event, and they feel like spewing them as much as possible.  It gets old.

I'm pretty disappointed in this game, at least, I'm disappointed in the PS2 version.  Even Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance trounces this game in aesthetics department... and that game's several years older!

I think I might be trading this toward Bard's Tale or Champions of Norrath: Return to Arms...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 07:24:33 AM »

I would not recommend Bards Tale.  As a fan of the old Commodore games, I thought I would LOVE this one.  While it was amusing for awhile, it didn't hold my interest vvery long at all.  Give it a rent first would be my recommendation.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 07:45:42 AM »

The characters do look pretty terrible, but the backgrounds are nice, especially the exterior of the X-Mansion.  I think the gameplay is much better than the BGDA games or CON, though.  The differing moves (tripping, throwing, etc), the powers, and the destructible environments really add to the experience.  The game got unfairly compared to the dungeon hack type games, when it's really more of an action-RPG.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 08:49:26 PM »

Quote from: "GGMark"
I would not recommend Bards Tale.  As a fan of the old Commodore games, I thought I would LOVE this one.  While it was amusing for awhile, it didn't hold my interest vvery long at all.  Give it a rent first would be my recommendation.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 10:10:06 PM »

Xbox Legends == 720p ==  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 05:01:42 PM »

I first saw X-Men Legends (XBox) in 720p on a big television.  It looked good.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 11:02:36 PM »

Tried it on PS2 the other night and have to concur.  Terrible.  I think it could be much better on the Xbox assuming the load times aren't that bad (they are painful and frequent on PS2), and maybe a slight graphics upgrade overall.  720p could probably do it.  I don't think the characters are too bad, but the GIANT blocky hands are hilarious.  

Definitely has a Champions of Norrath with Xmen feel to it.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 01:28:06 AM »

yes it looks nasty in 720 on xbox...

but youre right LE the lil load time is DEF there for the inventory (even on xbox)... WTF??? how does this happen i dont understand it???  im hittin start so i can change my team / upgrade / etc - why do i get a delay?  its not like i just fired some graphically intensive bump mapped 3d globular pixel (okay you get the point) fireball - it annoyed the HELL outta me and though i kinda enjoyed the game (whore for those action RPGs alla BG) the sluggish interface and frame dropoffs killed A LOT of the experience (course sluggish interfaces are one of my pet peeves)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 03:18:13 AM »

I'm an Action/RPG fan myself, but the graphics were just too nasty for me on this one.

Why couldn't they lease out the Dark Alliance engine or something?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 02:26:35 PM »

I tried to like this game (have the GC version) but I just couldn't stand it. It was way to fast for me, I never felt like I was building up my chars, just running through the motions. Maybe if the battles were not so hectic. I don't know, it just didn't click with me at all.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 05:53:07 PM »

This is one of the crispest looking games on my Xbox.  I have the PS2 version as well and agree that it looks horrible in comparision.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 05:54:47 PM »

I originally tried the Cube version, and just didn't like it as there was just too much going on in a crowded screen.... but when I tried the Xbox version @ 720p it was much more enjoyable as it didn't get as 'cluttered' as the 480p version.  That said, the load times and interface really killed it for me.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: