http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 09:20:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: X-Men Legends II Review is up!  (Read 2492 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2005, 04:33:01 PM »

Questions? Comments?

(if you hit the front page it's kinda easy to find slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 05:10:48 PM »

The review is great, but I have one little question:

X-Men Legends II features a combination system that is deceptively deep.

When something is described as deceptively deep, doesn't that mean it seems to have a lot of depth, but it's actually pretty shallow?  Is that what was intended?  I've started to see this phrase pop up in lots of reviews, and I don't think most reviewers are saying what they intend, but perhaps Ron intended otherwise.  I've always thought 'deceptively simple' is the more apropros phrase.

Interesting.  When I first read this, I was going to scratch this post, but I decided to post anyway because of the relevance of this definition.  Apparently, this particular usage of the word 'deceptively' is quite ambiguous, though my interpretation of the meaning is apparently in the minority.  Well, nevermind, I guess.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 05:16:14 PM »

In this context, the game looks pretty much like a normal button masher, but in fact there is a great deal going on underneath the surface.  

I do see the point though. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 05:28:04 PM »

Ya I'd agree that deceptively deep means it LOOKS shallow, but is really deep.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 05:37:47 PM »

Great review, hoping to pick this one up today.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 05:48:59 PM »

Well, I loved the first, and based on this review, I'll love the sequel.

Off I go in a few hours to buy this. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 06:46:31 PM »

Why couldn't you have waited a couple days on the review?  Now I'm torn between this and Battalion Wars!

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 07:22:42 PM »

Nice review, KD!  I'm so tempted to pick this up.

Question :

How's the friendly AI in single player?  In the first one, I had many cheap deaths due to my teammates falling off a ledge or blocking doorways.  Has this been changed?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 07:34:35 PM »

Ron - How soon do I get Gambit?  Silly to some I'm sure, but important to me.  You can post in a white spoiler box if you think the answer is a spoiler.

Thanks.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 07:42:25 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
Why couldn't you have waited a couple days on the review?  Now I'm torn between this and Battalion Wars!

Embargo ended today, so most reviews on this should be up today/tonight.  That's probably why he didn't wait a couple days.  Same thing will happen with Ultimate Spider-Man on Friday.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 09:04:33 PM »

Sounds great. Any insight into multiplayer in the PSP and PC versions? The Gamespot hands on preview I got to via the EBGames site says all versions include multiplayer, but they waffled on the PSP as to whether it would be infrastructure or ad-hoc. And of course, I'm interested in finding out what multiplayer PC options there are. Sounds like a lot of the fun of the game is in multiplayer.

Great review - I'd not been following this at all, really, due to extreme salivating over We Love Katamari, but I gotta say it will be hard to resist purchasing this one.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 09:17:14 PM »

I think the PSP version is still a month off and I can't comment on the PC version, but Ron might be able to.  I am going to guess since Raven built this on the PC and then ported over to the consoles that the same multiplayer aspect is on the PC version.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 09:25:31 PM »

Great review.  I figured I'd be getting this one after I bought the first one used on Friday and played it through to the end in 4 days, and the review just clinched it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2005, 09:28:27 PM »

PC versions

I have the PC version, I'll cover multi in that review.  Hoping to nail that out tonight. smile

I'll get back to you on Gambit when I can confirm.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2005, 09:55:21 PM »

I am pretty interested in this game!  Can you tell me if the levels have more variety this time?  I know that you wrote that you can interact with them more, which is cool, but is it still just a bunch of tunnels and corridors?

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2005, 10:19:41 PM »

Here's one for you..

Can you replay through the game with all your characters already leveled up and maybe on a higher difficulty level?

If not, I'm out. That one little thing not being in the first game really spoiled it for me, even though I had a great time playing through it once.

There were even characters, psylocke in particular, that appeared so very late in the game that you didn't even care that you got them.

Little things like that really irritated me on my second playthrough.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2005, 05:08:51 AM »

Apparently, all players are required to use the same television standard, video mode and resolution to play online together.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2005, 12:38:36 PM »

How soon do I get Gambit?

What's the big appeal with Gambit?  He always seemed like the lamest of the X-Men to me.  I guess I started reading the X-Men a long time ago (Uncanny X-Men #160 or so).   I stopped after many years, before Gambit made it in, but watching him on the cartoons and reading about him, he just seems blah.  I just don't understand the appeal I guess.

---
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2005, 01:42:04 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
How soon do I get Gambit?

What's the big appeal with Gambit?  He always seemed like the lamest of the X-Men to me.  I guess I started reading the X-Men a long time ago (Uncanny X-Men #160 or so).   I stopped after many years, before Gambit made it in, but watching him on the cartoons and reading about him, he just seems blah.  I just don't understand the appeal I guess.

LD lives in a parallel universe where there are actually some Gambit lovers in the world slywink

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2005, 01:50:07 PM »

What's the big appeal with Gambit?

He's understated. Kinda in the background for the most part with a pretty cool ability, unlike Wolverine, who seems more like a cross between a WWE wrestler and Vin Diesel.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2005, 01:53:55 PM »

Wolverine is a very good character, at least he was, until he had his exoskeleton removed by Magneto, and other odd stuff.  I had stopped reading by that point.  Unfortunately, Wolverine has become popular and the two films have focused on him, so there is a backlash.

I suppose I don't know enough about Gambit, maybe he is interesting.  I haven't followed the new Marvel universe as much, or the Ultimate series.

I just see as much of a fan reaction to Gambit and don't understand, or know what he's done that is interesting.  Throwing explosive cards hardly seems a cool power.  It seems the writers were trying a bit to much to introduce a cool character for the masses with Gambit, with his look, accent, and 'power', as opposed to making him cool through deeds and other stuff.[/quote]

---
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2005, 05:45:08 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
Here's one for you..

Can you replay through the game with all your characters already leveled up and maybe on a higher difficulty level?

Well...there is a 4th difficulty level (according to the manual) that you can't play until you've beaten the game once. And after digging through Beast's Grab Bag (purchase a completely random item) a few times, I ended up with items that required level 40 (I was only level 6-7 at the time) to equip.

So I'm guessing you'll be able to play through again, but I can't confirm this as of yet.

And to answer other questions - the AI seems to be improved over the first. Also (at least while I was using Nightcrawler, my current 'tank' of the second), your special moves push your allies out of the way most of the time, thus allowing your attacks to hit them when you want to.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2005, 06:23:58 PM »

Knightshade - What resolutions does the PC version support?  I'm curious if it  supports widescreen resolutions like 1600 x 1050?

---
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2005, 06:29:50 PM »

I'll look tonight when I get home and tell ya.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2005, 09:32:05 PM »

Resolutions:

1600x1200
1600x1024
1600x900
1360x768
1280x1024
1280x960
1280x800
1280x768
1280x720
1152x864
1088x612
1024x768
960x600
848x480
800x600
720x576
720x480
640x480

If you can't find a resolution you like in THAT list, you might be a little bit too picky.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2005, 09:42:06 PM »

Thanks Knightshade!

I was hoping for 1680 x 1050, which is my monitor's native resolution (Dell 20" Widescreen).  I'll probably grab the XBox version instead of the PC version that I'd have to run at a different resolution.

---
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2005, 09:42:25 PM »

couple more answers:

For online play you can connect via IP or via GameSpy's browser.  You can host or join.  Pretty standard fare.

As for Gambit, you get him immediately, along with a TON of other Xmen and Brotherhood characters.  

Here ya go:

http://www.consolegold.com/temp/gambit.jpg

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2005, 09:43:59 PM »

I'm not sure if its card / monitor dependent (I doubt it) but I'm using a 21" LG CRT and a GeForce 7800 GT.  Your mileage may vary?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2005, 09:58:13 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Resolutions:

1600x1200
1600x1024
1600x900
1360x768
1280x1024
1280x960
1280x800
1280x768
1280x720
1152x864
1088x612
1024x768
960x600
848x480
800x600
720x576
720x480
640x480

If you can't find a resolution you like in THAT list, you might be a little bit too picky.  smile

Meh...my 1680x1050 isn't in there.  Not buying.  (j/k)

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2005, 11:08:47 PM »

So, since this is a sequel, and in the first game the X-Men were pretty kick ass at the end of the first game, do you start out at a decent level or is it back to level 1?  If it's the latter, do they at least attempt to explain it?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2005, 11:53:54 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

I'm with the others- 1680x1050 is my monitor's native resolution.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2005, 12:26:42 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
So, since this is a sequel, and in the first game the X-Men were pretty kick ass at the end of the first game, do you start out at a decent level or is it back to level 1?  If it's the latter, do they at least attempt to explain it?

Nope - they don't explain it at all. You're just simply level 1 again.

However, based on what I've seen after digging through the new powersets, there's a LOT more customization of your heroes now. Ron's review wasn't kidding - would you rather have Wolverine be able to shrug off damage and regenerate it, or do you want him to slaughter targets in a single blow with one of his slashes? Or something inbetween? You just don't have enough points/levels to choose them all.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2005, 01:30:13 AM »

Your mileage may vary?

Yeah, it could just be the card/monitor combination.  I know other moniters I've mine won't list modes it won't support.  Thanks again for posting the info!

---
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2005, 02:06:21 AM »

Played around witrh this on an xbox earlier...it seemed fun.
There wasn't a whole lot of skill involved , which for me is actually a good thing. I was worried you'd have to pull off all these intricate button moves like in a fighting game. Could you talk about the difficulty settings and progression through the game?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: