http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 12:57:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PC/PS3] The Bureau: XCOM Declassified  (Read 6933 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2010, 07:02:20 AM »

(for those who don't tread into the console section)

it's back, as a reboot.

and a FPS.

<insert your screams here>

ps.  it's also being developed for the consoles, so it'll probably be dumbed down  icon_twisted

and here's the first screenshot:

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 11:17:35 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 07:08:33 AM »

CNIWASPOHEJFTOIJSDHFAD"KQ!

Sorry, just had a seizure on my keyboard.  Pretty sure I just wet my pants too.

Only problem: It's an FPS.

They do mention you're still in charge of the X-Com organization.  I suspect this may end up similar to the to X-Com Alliance, the cancelled FPS project that had you controlling 4 teammates.

However, that screenshot does nothing for me.  It also lacks the art stylization that made a lot of Irrational games great, and less expensive to develop.

If there's one thing I really hate about the market being so console focused, is that console gaming itself is so heavily focused on shooters, leading to this.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:14:46 AM by Turtle » Logged
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 07:12:28 AM »

Screw /that/.  I'll just play the original series which I just got (5 games) for $10.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 07:17:11 AM »

I dunno, I think the revival of the brand name of X-Com bodes well for us in general, since they have a reason to make a DS/PSP/Iphone/etc game version of it that's more a proper strategic/tactical X-Com.

And, this is Ken Levine's new studio.

The X-Com story/style of a deadly unknown adversary is still something that hasn't been pulled off all that well either.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:21:26 AM by Turtle » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 07:25:13 AM »

I just hope this isn't the new X-Com game we have been hearing rumors about for the past two or so years. That would be extremely disappointing.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 07:50:25 AM »

Remaking XCOM without Mythos is like remaking any of Mozarts works without Mozart, it still wouldn't be Mozart.

Did the Gollop brothers go on a permanent LSD trip or what?

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 08:13:04 AM »

No idea, but the Gollop crew basically abandoned Laser Squad Nemesis, no one knows what they're doing nowadays.  Kinda of stinks since LSN would be great on iphones and ipad.  Julian Gollop moved to Bulgaria to try and lower his cost of living, ended up getting caught in some housing/economic boom (and bust) and last word is he's working at Ubisoft in Bulgaria on some pretty soul draining projects (like Chessmaster DS).

That said, it sounds like they are trying to keep the mythos of the otherworldly and absolutely deadly enemy.  We'll have to see how well it carries through.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 08:16:14 AM by Turtle » Logged
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 08:50:27 AM »

Wow, it wasn't far off from the LSD trip thing. Well, at least he isn't living in some shack with his mother slywink.

So the big question is, why can't these devs try to put together these genuises instead? I think they would get far more bang for the buck.

Becides, making a FPS out of XCOM isn't exactly new slywink.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 08:52:36 AM by marcusjm » Logged

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 09:29:50 AM »

X-Com Enforcer was a third person game, and Alliance never came out.  I was actually looking forward to Alliance actually.

To me, it's like the Fallout series.  The perspective may change, and a lot of gameplay, but they might end up nailing the atmosphere better than even the originals did.  Since this is the team that did the original Bioshock, a game with an amazing atmosphere.  It could help bring the brand name into popularity, and offer more opportunities.

That, and the graphics in that screenshot look like part of a generic tileset and lighting, something they wouldn't need, or build an engine to handle if they weren't going to have some dynamic mission elements.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 11:08:50 AM »

Well, there was a game that sort improved the basic concept with some FPS-like elements, Incubation. Why didn't anyone try to build on that concept?
Personally I found the combat system of Incubation one of the most innovative ever but somehow it didn't resonate with the majority.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 11:27:33 AM »

Incubation was a spinoff of the Battle Isles series, not Xcom. And I agree - damn fun!!

I for one look forward to our new Xcom overlords, the game may be awesome, and open the road for a TBS version as well

A new one
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 12:06:52 PM »

I ran an Incubation fan site (Geo's Incubation Site, it still comes up in Google sometimes), and for a few years an Incubation 2 petition. The German devs were very cool and communicated with fans and fan sites a bit. Producer Wolfgang Walk event sent me a free copy of Incubation: The Wilderness Missions to thank me for my fan site efforts.  icon_cool I get downright wistful remembering all that.

And a couple years back an old gamer buddy of mine from another forum, in Australia, died of stomach cancer. The main memory I had of him (he went by the nickname Xavitor) was playing some rollicking co-op games of Incubation via dial-up modem. At weird hours due to the time zone difference. Man did we have fun.  icon_smile

Some other fan sites kept running as late as 2006:
http://scayra.free.fr/incubation/index.html

Alas, Incubation and its expansion didn't sell in North America at all. I think the sales were something like 35,000, 50,000 or something like that. They just couldn't financially justify any further work on it. Although I still have my game discs, it would be great if GoG picked those up and gave them a second life at some point. 1997 was the era of 3DFX and Monster graphics add-on video cards, so visually they're a bit tough to look at today though the gore holds up well.  icon_smile

True turn-based is pretty much verboten today, so I don't know that any large dev would try to do something like Incubation today. Maybe something more along the lines of Irrational's own Freedom Force (meaning something actiony but pausable for orders-giving).

As far as the "new" X-COM, I still don't much see the point of grabbing a strategy franchise name whose golden era was about 15-17 years ago and doing something so drastically different. Doesn't make much more sense than Command and Conquer: Renegade though that at least released when the franchise name was still selling on the market. I just don't think you'll see Irrational do anything but FPSs at this point.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:08:42 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 12:58:25 PM »

Its about an FBI agent? Somebody should tell the developer that they bought the wrong IP. This isn't X-Files.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 01:31:18 PM »

Blackjack, facinating (and somewhat tragic) story there.
I was thinking, now with the backing of UBI soft, maybe their chance of re-awakening this concept would be worthwhile? Maybe not considering UBI softs awful DRM hehe.

Now when I think of it, the FPS concept sounds better after all. I still think all actual remakes are doomed to fail but using the same background story could work just fine.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 02:48:29 PM »

Actually, at its core X-Com's story was classic UFO mystery, it wasn't until later when you had more tech it was all out war with aliens.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 04:19:36 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 14, 2010, 07:17:11 AM

It seems a ton of people at many different sites have this confused. It has nothing to do with Ken's studio. These folks are the people on the West coast who made Bioshock 2. I'm not saying this means it will be good or bad, just that Mr. Levine has nothing to do with it.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 04:26:23 AM »

If its an FPS its not X-Com.  It still might be a good game, but they are smoking something if they think an FPS could ever by a sequel to xcom.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 06:04:30 AM »

Quote from: Wargus on April 15, 2010, 04:26:23 AM

If its an FPS its not X-Com.  It still might be a good game, but they are smoking something if they think an FPS could ever by a sequel to xcom.

why on earth would you say that? How did an IP ever become so rigid that NOTHING else can be done without it being catastrophic? This reminds me alot of the old Fallout 3 debacle...which turned out fine. I'm sure the developers have a plan

You guys seems to have all but forgotten what will be the crownjewel of the game, and will make it shine even more...something we've all craved for since we played X-Com the first time

The online Multiplayer part!! Its going to be Call of Duty style with sectoids vs rocket launcher carrying x-com troopers! It will be awesome!

Actually, the more I think about it, that actually COULD be awesome... Mind control anyone? Healing kits, rocket launchers, lasers, plasma rifles, fast people with only a laserpistol, tanks - it will be utterly chaotic fun!

A new one
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 09:29:20 AM »

Hehe, Wargus comments reminds me of myself when Fallout3 was under development.

I agree that using the same name is a mistake though, it upsets fans of earlier versions. Why not just give it a new name?

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 09:50:08 AM »

I actually doubt there's that many fans of the original left in the gaming scene, so to speak. We here at GT, OO and the like are the anomoly in being the age we are and still playing games, if you look at demographics.

I think the idea is that ANY IP is better than none, in this case. Of course, it could be a case of the developers being big fans of the original game themselves, as Bethesda was of the original fallout games.

A new one
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 09:57:25 AM »

Well that makes the use of XCOM even less logical.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 10:02:27 AM »

Comparing this to the complaining about Fallout 3 is silly. Both Fallout 2 and Fallout 3 are RPGs. There's no such direct comparison between X-Com and this new travesty. I say travesty because I'm incredibly disappointed that we're still not going to get a true X-Com game.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 10:04:12 AM »

Quote from: marcusjm on April 15, 2010, 09:57:25 AM

Well that makes the use of XCOM even less logical.

well, I guess thats true. I'm reserving judgement of the game for when it comes, or when we get more info. The team is pretty good, so the game itself could be brilliant. Its just the fact that its not an updated tbs xcom game thats coming which is upsetting people. And I really dont understand this - IF the game is good, there's a lot bigger chance of a true succesor than if the game fails miserably.

A new one
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 10:06:30 AM »

But if the game behaves like a FPS, what is the difference?

Anyway, Razgon is probably right. This is a quality developer and they could very well bump up the interest in the series which in itself could lead to new versions
of the original game.

It is not totally forgotten though, both Steam and GG sells quite a bit of the originals (even after they made the rounds to abandonsites).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:06:37 PM by marcusjm » Logged

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Warfran
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »

Wow, that was the biggest high and low I've had clicking on a post here. icon_frown
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 02:11:19 PM »

Quote from: marcusjm on April 15, 2010, 10:06:30 AM

But if the game behaves like a FPS, what is the difference?

Anyway, Razgon is probably right. This is a quality developer and they could very well bump up the interest in the series which in itself could lead to new versions
of the original game.

yeah, there could be a new turn based game, at which point all the newfound fans of the FPS style will go 'WTF?  EPIC FAIL!'  icon_lol

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 02:59:29 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on April 14, 2010, 04:19:36 PM

Quote from: Turtle on April 14, 2010, 07:17:11 AM

It seems a ton of people at many different sites have this confused. It has nothing to do with Ken's studio. These folks are the people on the West coast who made Bioshock 2. I'm not saying this means it will be good or bad, just that Mr. Levine has nothing to do with it.

and to add to the confusion, it's not even the core BS2 team.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 07:22:35 AM »

Saw this on Kotaku, looks like someone has stepped in to make a true spiritual successor to X-Com (with a dash this time).

http://www.xenonauts.com/

Their site is down from traffic, but it looks like they're shooting for X-Com, but better.  Including civilian, miliary, and your black ops taking part.

If they show some screenshots of actual gameplay, I'd be someone who would do a Pay for Beta that's all the rave in the indie market, or even just pay for pre-order like I'm doing with Natural Selection 2.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 07:27:51 AM by Turtle » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 01:55:17 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 16, 2010, 07:22:35 AM

Saw this on Kotaku, looks like someone has stepped in to make a true spiritual successor to X-Com (with a dash this time).

http://www.xenonauts.com/

Their site is down from traffic, but it looks like they're shooting for X-Com, but better.  Including civilian, miliary, and your black ops taking part.

If they show some screenshots of actual gameplay, I'd be someone who would do a Pay for Beta that's all the rave in the indie market, or even just pay for pre-order like I'm doing with Natural Selection 2.
Will they have to update the "Iceland Incident," given the crazy volcano action they're having there?  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2010, 02:17:30 PM »

On the original thread topic, sure you can take aspects of the initial X-COM titles (I I assume they're not taking much inspiration from forgettable stuff like X-COM: Enforcer) and sort of mush them into a shooter, as far as researching weapons off aliens to invent your own, sending squads out for various random encounters, etc.

I loved the SWAT 3 and 4 games. You could probably take something like that and twist it into an interesting squad-shooter X-COM title, and I might enlist for that.

I have affection for X-COM no doubt, but it's not 1993-1995 anymore. I'd love some alternate universe where turn-based combat, and isometric shooters (Crusader: No Remorse et al) ruled the roost, and RTSs and FPSs didn't take over the market. But that didn't happen, and I doubt we'll see any big name/budget takes on a more traditional X-COM type game. Tiny European devs seem to have a lot more affection for X-COM than just about anyone else.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2010, 07:41:42 PM »

From Qt3 - a guy over at another forum posted this, from a french newspaper...

I'm reading the article right now so this will be short :

- No world map : There's a USA map (with a 50s' style) for selecting the missions.
- Research & production : yes.
- Base management : yes.
- Team management : yes.
- Choice of the next missions : yes.
- No control of your teammate during the mission (in the demo, this may change)

It seems like you can goof around in your base between the mission (in first person view).

EDIT :

- The demo was running on an XBox360.
- You play as the chief of operation of the base between the mission.
- The choice of the played mission will impact the game.
- In the demo, lots of area of the base were off limits.
- During the missions you can take photos (research ?).
- The game is due for release in a little more than a year.

if thats true...then drool!!!

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2010, 07:51:42 PM »

If true do we have any bets how many of those things go away in the year or so wait for this game?

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2010, 07:55:43 PM »

Why would you assume that? Because its the internet and being pessimistic is the new cool thing to be?

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 08:06:01 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 16, 2010, 07:55:43 PM

Why would you assume that? Because its the internet and being pessimistic is the new cool thing to be?

more cynicism than pessimism.  How many times have we been told about awesome features only to watch them get whittled away?  Totally open world for the first STALKER?  Rapture open for exploration?

It would not surprise me for this yo end up being 10 linear levels with upgrades given to you at predetermined points, no base and team management consisting of pickng this skin or that skin.  By expecting that I can either be pleasantly surprised when it's close to what they said or I could laugh at you while you cry over your destroyed dreams.

Either way it's a win-win scenario for me  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 08:15:58 PM »

well, if being cynical works for you, more power to you then...I just dont get it, but then, I'm a positive guy by nature, so thats probably it.

Anyways, I'm positively excited about this news ;-)

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 11:59:06 PM »

That reads to be about what I was expecting, X-Com Alliance, but set in the 1950s due to the way the art direction looked.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2010, 10:55:01 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 16, 2010, 07:55:43 PM

No, it's probably because most game developers tend to make promises their *sses can't keep.  icon_lol

For my part, I'm just pessimistic cause I already lived through several feeble years in the 1990s of companies trying and failing to shoehorn X-COM into anything but what it originally and most successfully was, including real-time (Apocalypse, which has its fans, but don't count me as one), space combat (Interceptor) and FPS (Enforcer, using the Unreal Touranment engine; and the unfinished Alliance). I had quite a bit of fun with the simplified X-COM e-mail game in 1999, but I'd hardly consider it a real X-COM followup.

To me, it doesn't have to be a turn-based squad game, I couldn't see any major studio doing that in today's market. I just see its charms in the strategy genre, and stapling X-COM over a shooter to me just sounds like Enforcer/Alliance redux. X-COM as a brand means nothing probably to anyone under a certain age, so taking the marketing tact of alienating us old farts who expect a strategy game and then doing something that may appeal mostly to younger players who never even heard of X-COM (it was a DOS game for crying out loud!) just seems like a peculiar usage of an old license.             
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:56:47 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2010, 04:33:46 PM »

Well Mass Effect 2 works great so if they can use that setup then I am in.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »

Quote from: marcusjm on April 17, 2010, 04:33:46 PM

Well Mass Effect 2 works great so if they can use that setup then I am in.

thats actually not a bad idea! You can manage your squad, but you can also let them go crazy on their own... hmm, that would work for me!

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »

some details will be in OXM.  they have some concers (which of course could change):

And the causes for concern? Well, the report makes it sound like your actual input on things like research is minimal, while the missions you can choose sound pre-programmed, and not the result of your active measures in combating the alien menace. Worse still is the suggestion that, at the time of the playthrough, while you had allies in the field with you as part of a promised "tactical" throwback to the original games, you couldn't actually issue any commands to them.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: