http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 04:24:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: X-Box as an HDTV DVD player  (Read 2315 times)
Jancelot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2004, 10:54:27 PM »

I'm about to take the plunge and pick up a 52" Toshiba DLP set.  Does the X-Box put out a progressive scan signal when playing DVDs?  Do I need to pick up a separate player as well?  I already have the X-Box Hi-Def pack for the 5.1 audio so all I need there are the component cables.  The set has 2 component inputs and an HDMI input.  What kind of jack am I looking for on a DVD player and what kind of cables do I need?  Thanks!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 11:19:00 PM »

Does not and will not play DVDs in progressive mode.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 11:33:49 PM »

Thanks!  But what if I pillow talk it and give it some sweet lovin'?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 11:38:29 PM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"

That is one of the crappy things about the XBox. The PS2 does do a progressive output for the DVD's. Why the hell did Microsoft cripple the Xbox?

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 12:17:34 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

That is one of the crappy things about the XBox. The PS2 does do a progressive output for the DVD's. Why the hell did Microsoft cripple the Xbox?

I *think* it had to do with additional licensing fees MS would have to pay out- it obviously has the capability built in but they neutered it.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 01:11:52 AM »

You can pick up DVD players with decent decoders for them for not much more than $50 anymore, so I would recommend going that route.  Prog Scan aside, neither the Xbox or PS2 have the greatest decoders in them...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 01:19:12 AM »

Go with a real PS DVD player.

You're spending about 3G on a TV - No sense crippling the picture to save $60! biggrin

Have fun!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 02:30:03 AM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
I'm about to take the plunge and pick up a 52" Toshiba DLP set.  Does the X-Box put out a progressive scan signal when playing DVDs?  Do I need to pick up a separate player as well?  I already have the X-Box Hi-Def pack for the 5.1 audio so all I need there are the component cables.  The set has 2 component inputs and an HDMI input.  What kind of jack am I looking for on a DVD player and what kind of cables do I need?  Thanks!

If you install a modchip or use hack to install softmod on your xbox then install XBOX Media Center, you can play DVD with progressive scan signal and you can get bonus that you can play almost all media format(divx, xvid, mpeg, etc.)

If you don't have and don't care about XBOX Live then a modded XBOX can be the perfect all-in-one entertainment box.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 03:55:22 AM »

get a real dvd player for it. Oh, and if your TV (although I'd hope that the DLP doesnt) upconverts to 540p (1080i) then you might as well use an interlaced; the progressive scan actually displays more artifacts than the interlaced. <sigh>

Everyone is cutting corners to bring down cost.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 04:36:56 AM »

The PS2 didn't have progressive DVD output until the last major revision (not the PSTwo, the revision that removed the i.link connector)
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2004, 06:02:58 AM »

Quote from: "Laner"

The PS2 didn't have progressive DVD output until the last major revision (not the PSTwo, the revision that removed the i.link connector)

More specifically, you need model SCPH-50001 or greater.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2004, 02:25:13 PM »

I have an older X-Box that I started to mod, but it's in no shape right now to be useful (went the pogo route and now it won't function without the chip in so I need to solder it in).

I'll just go ahead and pick up a DVD player as well while I'm there.  Purge, did you mean that I need to use it in interlaced mode or do I specifically need to look for a model that outputs an interlaced signal?
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2004, 02:42:33 PM »

Yeah, I got a ProgScan DVD player for under $40 at Wal-Mart. Tongue
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2004, 04:31:44 PM »

This goes on to raise the question (for me anyhow)...  

I just got my Sony 42" rear projection LCD last week.  (Loving it).  But, my 4 year old DVD player using component outputs looks really good.  What is really the advantage to a progressive scan player -- does it really look that much better?

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2004, 05:00:32 PM »

Absolutely - much better color separation, sharper picture, no interlacing, etc.

You wouldn't buy a $2000 stereo just to listen to 8-track, would you? smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2004, 05:15:31 PM »

Quote from: "JLu"

I just got my Sony 42" rear projection LCD last week.  (Loving it).  But, my 4 year old DVD player using component outputs looks really good.  What is really the advantage to a progressive scan player -- does it really look that much better?

Yes, yes, YES!!!

I was horrified at the output I had on my 55" RPTV using my old non-progressive DVD player.  Once I purchase a pro-scan DVD player the difference was night and day.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2004, 11:33:10 PM »

Hey I think I just recently bought the TV you're looking at.  I love the thing.  Let me know if you have any questions about it specifically smile

gellar
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2004, 01:08:20 AM »

Using an Xbox as a DVD player on a 52" HDTV is like putting a Volkswagen engine in a Porsche chassis.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2004, 06:23:00 AM »

Quote from: "gellar"
I'm about to take the plunge and pick up a 52" Toshiba DLP set.

Hey I think I just recently bought the TV you're looking at.  I love the thing.  Let me know if you have any questions about it specifically smile

gellar

Aha!  (as an exclamation, not the band)  I knew someone around here had talked about purchasing one.  I am planning on swinging by Best Buy tomorrow to pick one up.  How is the standard def picture quality?  And do you use the stretch mode as well?  The TV I do watch is usually football or the occasional sitcom so I'm not overly concerned about it.  What (and how) do you have hooked up to it?  I obviously have an X-Box and am going to pick up a DVD player as well.  I little confused on the HDMI input.  Is that one just for a HD cable box?  Nothing I've read has mentioned that this unit has a DVI input which is the only drawback as I'd like to hook up a media center PC eventually.

I was thinking of snagging the Samsung 50" DLP set but I've read some issues with fan noise and the bulb burning out quickly.  I've read almost nothing but good things about the Toshiba set.  The biggest draw on the Samsung was the price and the DVI input.  Have you had any problems or do you know of any common issues people have had with the Toshiba set?  Any forums you've found?

Overall I'm just really excited about this holiday gift to myself.  Hey, I'm single, someone has to take care of me. smile  Thanks!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2004, 04:00:19 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"
I'm about to take the plunge and pick up a 52" Toshiba DLP set.

gellar

Aha!  (as an exclamation, not the band)  I knew someone around here had talked about purchasing one.  I am planning on swinging by Best Buy tomorrow to pick one up.  How is the standard def picture quality?  And do you use the stretch mode as well?  The TV I do watch is usually football or the occasional sitcom so I'm not overly concerned about it.  What (and how) do you have hooked up to it?  I obviously have an X-Box and am going to pick up a DVD player as well.  I little confused on the HDMI input.  Is that one just for a HD cable box?  Nothing I've read has mentioned that this unit has a DVI input which is the only drawback as I'd like to hook up a media center PC eventually.

I was thinking of snagging the Samsung 50" DLP set but I've read some issues with fan noise and the bulb burning out quickly.  I've read almost nothing but good things about the Toshiba set.  The biggest draw on the Samsung was the price and the DVI input.  Have you had any problems or do you know of any common issues people have had with the Toshiba set?  Any forums you've found?

Overall I'm just really excited about this holiday gift to myself.  Hey, I'm single, someone has to take care of me. smile  Thanks!

SD Quality is actually quite good, considering its an HDTV set.  I've seen some TVs where I cannot stand watching SD because it looks so grainy, but whatever Toshiba did to get SD to display at an acceptable level... it worked.

I do actually use a stretch mode, and it's one of the reasons I bought this particular TV.  The Toshiba Theater Wide 1 stretch mode is the absolute best I've ever seen in any widescreen TV.  The "Full" mode for 4:3 material is crap, but Theater Wide 1 is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I'm using the current inputs:
Component 1: DVD Player
Component 2: Mad Catz Switchbox running Xbox/PS2/Gamecube
HDMI: Cable Box

Here's the funny thing about HDMI... it's DVI for all intents and purposes, just in a nice friendly USB like cable.  In fact, my Cable Box only has a DVI out and is connected to the TV using a DVI -> HDMI Adapter.  They're the same thing.  For some reason though, Toshiba states that you shouldn't hook a PC up to this TV.  I can't figure out why, and I know some of the folks at the avsforums have hooked up their PC.  It's something I've been meaning to try myself.  The DVI -> HDMI Cable only cost me $25.

The *only* issue I've ever heard about the Toshiba's is in regard to the HDMI input on earlier units, which apparently had some "ghosting" of the text.  Mine has no such issues, and there have been no recent reports of them either.  Kind of strange and slightly troubling, but it was a non issue for me.  The Toshiba 52HM84 (the one I have now) uses the HD2+ chip Vs. most current Samsungs using the HD3 chip for DLP.  The HD2+ is the superior chip and provides better color/contrast, while the HD3 chip was really designed for budget and cost cutting reasons.  That's not to say the Samsung is a bad set... I almost bought it myself.  It's just that the Toshiba is a better set.

gellar
Ranulf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2004, 08:08:01 PM »

If you don't want to mod yer xbox: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000204SWE/103-1495063-5805464?v=glance

progressive scan and divx playback.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2004, 04:21:51 PM »

Just wanted to say thanks for that link Ranulf.  I ordered one of those and it's on the way with the set and stand from Amazon.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2004, 08:18:42 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "JLu"

Yes, yes, YES!!!

I was horrified at the output I had on my 55" RPTV using my old non-progressive DVD player.  Once I purchase a pro-scan DVD player the difference was night and day.

I think I have my next purchase in mind for post-Christmas then...  Thanks!

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2004, 08:50:15 PM »

Update:  I got the Phillips DVD player above and am not entirely happy with the picture quality.  After doing some research on the AVS forums (which I should've done in the first place, but I was just excited to get everything in) it appears it's great for what it does best and that's playing DivX and burned discs.  The price was great on it though so I'll eventually just move it to my upstairs SDTV and get a higher-end upscaling player for my HD set.

Another note for gellar, I was reading on the AVS forums that people are having problems with image ghosting on this set, specifically using the HDMI jack.  I'm ordering satellite HD soon and really hope that it won't be noticable for me.  Have you had any issues with it?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2004, 08:05:25 PM »

Update:  I got the Phillips DVD player above and am not entirely happy with the picture quality.  After doing some research on the AVS forums (which I should've done in the first place, but I was just excited to get everything in) it appears it's great for what it does best and that's playing DivX and burned discs.  The price was great on it though so I'll eventually just move it to my upstairs SDTV and get a higher-end upscaling player for my HD set.

Another note for gellar, I was reading on the AVS forums that people are having problems with image ghosting on this set, specifically using the HDMI jack.  I'm ordering satellite HD soon and really hope that it won't be noticable for me.  Have you had any issues with it?

I read about those issues too, and honestly I haven't come across them.  I don't know why, but apparently the "newer" sets don't have the issue.  Strange as that is, I guess I'll just consider myself lucky smile

gellar
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: