http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 07:06:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WTF? Activision Drops Ghostbusters, Brutal Legend, Riddick and Others for...  (Read 2826 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2008, 01:52:03 PM »

It looks like Actibizzard is realigning itself, and dropping anything creative. Ghostbusters, Brutal Legend, Riddick, Wet, Leisure Suit Larry, etc are out for....Ice Age, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro The Dragon.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/brutallegend/news.html?sid=6195113

Good Grief.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 01:53:50 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 02:05:05 PM »

And IGN confirms it:

Activision today announced that it will be retaining a handful of Vivendi Games' franchises that are a "strong fit with its long-term strategy". The games that have been confirmed as being added to Activision's stable include the Crash Bandicoot, Spyro The Dragon and Ice Age franchises, as well as Prototype and "a second new IP that has not been announced as of yet."

The downside of this announcement is that other Vivendi Games (namely Ghostbusters: The Video Game, Brütal Legend, WET, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand, Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena and World in Conflict: Soviet Assault) are not being kept by Activision. "Activision will not publish other titles that were part of Vivendi Games' portfolio, and it is currently reviewing its options regarding these games" is all Activision would say on the matter when we talked to their Australian PR representative.

While it's nice that the world won't see another 50 Cent crapfest, the loss of titles like Ghostbusters...just doesn't make sense.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 02:05:12 PM »

Gotta love that lowest common denominator.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 02:13:01 PM »

While it's nice that the world won't see another 50 Cent crapfest, the loss of titles like Ghostbusters...just doesn't make sense.

Judging from its presence and showing at E3 I would bet that Ghostbusters will be released. The game looked like it was nearly done, including the voice work from all of the original actors. The game is just too much of a golden opportunity to not publish. I'm also hoping that Riddick will be released eventually.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 02:39:48 PM »

Dogs and cats living together.....MASS HYSTERIA!!!    crybaby

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 02:40:40 PM »

Who you gonna call...

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 02:43:12 PM »

Why drop 50 cent, wasn't the first game a huge success ? even if it was a crap-fest.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 02:44:50 PM »

Tim Schaeffer (or however you spell his name) can't catch a break.  There's no way someone won't publish Ghostbusters. The game was written by the original crew and all their voices are already recorded. I'm not even clear how a huge IP like that doesn't fit in with their strategy.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 03:01:58 PM »

dang it.  make riddick BC with the 360 or release the new version.   icon_evil

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 03:04:23 PM »

Well that really sucks about Riddick. I was really looking forward to that game as I never played the XBox version which also isn't BC. Hopefully some other studio will pick it up.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 03:10:02 PM »

no.. not WET!!!!!!!!!!!!!  crybaby  I just saw a video for that one the other day and it looked kind of fun.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 03:35:39 PM »

Yeah. Activision is shooting themselves in the foot.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 03:36:18 PM »

From Kotaku about Ghostbusters:

Earlier, we brought word that Activision was taking inventory of Sierra's catalogue and picking and choosing games it wanted to publish. Some games, like Crash Bandicoot, made the cut. Other games like Ghostbusters: The Video Game did not. Does that mean the game's been canned? Well, no. It means that the game doesn't have a publisher. The dev team is still there! Dan Aykroyd is still there! Ernie Hudson, he's still there!! Activision isn't the only show in town, and as a Vivendi spokesperson told game site Destructoid: "It is not cancelled and will not be cancelled."

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 03:37:15 PM »

I sure hope Brutal Legend gets picked up and sells gangbusters.  C'mon EA scoop em up!
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 03:44:25 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 29, 2008, 03:36:18 PM

Ernie Hudson, he's still there!!

phew - what would we have done without Ernie Hudson?!?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 04:18:54 PM »

It kinda of makes you wonder where the gaming biz is going. I mean you have Actvision, 1 of the top 5 publishers, acquire another huge publisher and they axe everything but the absolute safest bets. So now we get the safe-bet Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon which quite honestly hasn't had decent releases in eons, whereas slightly more risky games like Ghostbusters and Riddick get dropped. Am I wrong or is there a definite pattern here of mediocre games with a proven track record of sequels over potentially good games with few or no recent prequels. I know that Vivendi had a lot of misses with recent games, but the way I see it this isn't good new when a giant like Activision isn't willing to take even marginal risks.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 04:19:59 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 29, 2008, 03:36:18 PM

From Kotaku about Ghostbusters:

Earlier, we brought word that Activision was taking inventory of Sierra's catalogue and picking and choosing games it wanted to publish. Some games, like Crash Bandicoot, made the cut. Other games like Ghostbusters: The Video Game did not. Does that mean the game's been canned? Well, no. It means that the game doesn't have a publisher. The dev team is still there! Dan Aykroyd is still there! Ernie Hudson, he's still there!! Activision isn't the only show in town, and as a Vivendi spokesperson told game site Destructoid: "It is not cancelled and will not be cancelled."

First off, Kotaku is about as reliable as...well...something unreliable.  Their rampant speculation is just that.  Activision has several publishing arms, so this could end there, or they will SELL the game to another publisher.  They aren't just putting their stuff in a box and saying "Good luck".  

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 04:20:20 PM »

Not a big deal, another publisher will pick the titles up. I don't think it will affect any release dates.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 05:00:53 PM »

Ars has a more balanced write up

However, Sierra has since told Destructoid that "it (Ghostbusters) is not canceled and will not be canceled."

But while that statement seems to be pretty clear-cut, a Vivendi representative has made things a touch more confusing, telling Videogamer.com "The only titles that we're currently dealing with are Crash, Spyro, Prototype and this other (unannounced) title." According to the report, the company is now looking for new publishers for the games missing from the release list.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 05:10:24 PM »

so, let's not take a chance on our riskier titles by floating their bills on the tried and true titles.  sounds like they are so afraid of failing even a little that they can't take the risk. 

i would drop their stock if i had any right now.  this is not a good sign of their long term viability.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 08:03:18 PM »

Am I wrong or is there a definite pattern here of mediocre games with a proven track record of sequels over potentially good games with few or no recent prequels.

hi! welcome to hollyw... er the video game business smile

for anybody making product, the bigger you are, the more your operating costs and the greater your risk aversion.  which wouldnt be such a bad thing if the big guys DIDNT SWALLOW ALL THE FREAKIN LITTLE GUYS!

on the plus side, hopefully this ends up activision footing the bill for development and then letting them go on the cheap for someone else to publish and do well with (though i dont think this applies for ghostbusters - wasnt the game basically independently designed as a generic ghostbusters, with a hope to catching someones eye for the final licensing process / publishing?)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 08:18:07 PM »

EA is going to kill Activision this and next year then.  EA already has Rock Band to compete with GH.  And alongside EA's usual sequels and franchises, they also have plenty of new, high quality, titles.

In fact, I'd say Activision is falling into the same trap that EA did until recently.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 10:52:34 PM »

First of all, I still don't get the love for the Ghostbusters game.  A licensed movie property (average failure rate in gaming: >85%)...from a movie from 2 decades ago?  And this is supposed to be good, why?  If Harold Ramis wants to tread on past glory, at least go REALLY out of left field and do something from SCTV years.  Hell, do a Guy Caballero game.

Now Brütal Legend, on the other hand.  icon_evil  Teggy, my exact thought at seeing this news was 'God, Tim can't catch a break!'.  Psychonauts all over again.  I almost want to see Yahtzee talk about this decision.  I hope some other publisher has the brains to pick that one up.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 10:54:26 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on July 29, 2008, 10:52:34 PM

First of all, I still don't get the love for the Ghostbusters game.  A licensed movie property (average failure rate in gaming: >85%)...from a movie from 2 decades ago?  And this is supposed to be good, why?  If Harold Ramis wants to tread on past glory, at least go REALLY out of left field and do something from SCTV years.  Hell, do a Guy Caballero game.

Yes, it's true....this man has no dick.

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 02:30:26 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 29, 2008, 10:54:26 PM

Funny...but again, 20 years old.  Remember how 'funny' the Coneheads movie in the 90's was?

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 02:54:57 AM »

Quote from: Big Jake on July 30, 2008, 02:30:26 AM

Funny...but again, 20 years old.  Remember how 'funny' the Coneheads movie in the 90's was?

I think that is something different.  A Ghostbusters game isn't necessarily about rehashing a 20 year old movie.  The movie itself has proton packs and ghosts.  You could easily make a good game out of the concept of the movie and also throw in some hilarity for good measure.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2008, 03:27:12 AM »

well, there's the problem-  you thought Coneheads was funny  Tongue

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 03:59:04 AM »

Podcasters who tried this at E3 say it's a good game, not amazing, but they said it played exactly like you'd expect a ghostbusters game to play, and that's a good sign.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 05:55:19 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 30, 2008, 03:27:12 AM

I think his point was that the Coneheads movie came out 20 years after the original sketch, and it wasn't funny.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 03:01:02 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 30, 2008, 05:55:19 AM

I think his point was that the Coneheads movie came out 20 years after the original sketch, and it wasn't funny.

I like my interpretation better  Tongue   either way, even the original Coneheads skits don't hold up but the original Ghostbusters does.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2008, 03:21:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 30, 2008, 03:01:02 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 30, 2008, 05:55:19 AM

I like my interpretation better  Tongue   either way, even the original Coneheads skits don't hold up but the original Ghostbusters does.

I agree with you there.  We're also talking about a one-joke sketch being turned into a movie versus Ghostbusters which is ripe for all kinds of ideas (as long as one of them isn't pink happy ooze).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 04:58:47 PM »

the core idea of the movie is a perfect match for a game, so why not use the source material if it's available?  take any good game with similarities to strong movies or books and imagine what a game using those properties could be like?  it makes them more interesting and could be a much better game for it.  hell, take the hook of being with the empire away from tie fighter and you have a basic space sim with a bad guy twist.  still could be cool, but it works so much better with star wars involved.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 09:54:03 PM »

hell, take the hook of being with the empire away from tie fighter and you have a basic space sim with a bad guy twist.  still could be cool, but it works so much better with star wars involved.

if by "works so much better" you mean "greatest game ever" then yes, yes it does smile

can you tell i was a HUGE tie fighter junkie?
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 08:21:32 PM »

Update - Ghostbusters 'delayed' until 2009.  Not canceled.

Aside from the generic info that Sony is working with Activision/Blizzard to find a new publisher, a representative told Fritz, "[the situation] has presented [Sony Pictures Consumer Products] with an opportunity to reevaluate the game release marketing strategy to potentially coincide with the 25th anniversary of the original film in '09."

Actually sounds like a pretty good idea.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2009, 06:05:56 AM »

and now they're suing to stop Brutal Legends release.  wtf are you smoking Activision?

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2009, 03:10:56 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 07, 2009, 06:05:56 AM

and now they're suing to stop Brutal Legends release.  wtf are you smoking Activision?

I'm having a little trouble figuring out from the article what exactly Activision's basis for the law-suit is.  From what I can tell, they're saying Double Fine "improperly transferred Brutal Legend to EA".  I would think that EA would have an army of lawyers poring over every detail before signing on to release a new IP.  Maybe they missed something, but it sounds like nothing more than sour grapes.  "We though the game would bomb so we ditched it, now it's getting some good press and we want back in."  That about it?

Classic Tim Schaefer quote:  ""Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too.""

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2009, 05:48:35 PM »

Yeah, I'm sure it's just the usual "throw a lawsuit at it to try and delay release" dickery with no real basis behind it.  Way to go, Activision, you're winning more fans all the time.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2009, 10:15:25 PM »

We've now crossed into some strange alternative universe where Blizzard Entertainment strives to prevent good games from being published.... and EA is the good guy. WTF?

(Yeah, I'm taking liberties with ActiBlizzard there, but work with me)

I hope this BS works itself out. Brutal Legend and Starcraft 2 are the two titles I'm most looking forward to this year. If this dickery ensues BL doesn't get published, or gets delayed, I might very well pass on Starcraft until Q1 next year. Because, you know, my one sale counts for so much.  icon_neutral
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2009, 10:55:16 PM »

hey, maybe we can get Games Workshop to sue over Starcraft  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2009, 03:25:50 AM »

Yeah, Games Workshop completely ripped off StarCraft!  WTF is up with that?

Spoiler for Hiden:
  icon_wink

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: