http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 08:31:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WOW stress 2 has begun  (Read 8637 times)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2004, 07:19:40 AM »

ZOMG I GOT MY KEY IM WIN!!!11

^_____^

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2004, 07:20:36 AM »

Sweet LE!  That means mine is only an hour or two away smile  Grats on getting it!

Now give me the link to the download! biggrin

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
monkyskunk
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2004, 07:24:19 AM »

http://www.fileplanet.com/_dlmgr.aspx?fp=147141&url=http://x73.fileplanet.com:28900/102004/worldofwarcraftopenbeta.zip&g=dc6c2312-fc60-4877-b484-04cec3d61c83&p=0&ps=http://x73.fileplanet.com:28900/&v=44

I got my download started using the above address even though i haven't received my email yet.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2004, 07:28:15 AM »

MANY thanks, monkeyskunk!!

Sandwiches do fix everything.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2004, 07:28:26 AM »

Thanks a ton monkyskunk!  I got it to start downloading also.  Now I can go to bed and sleep peacefully smile

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
monkyskunk
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2004, 07:33:14 AM »

No problem. I was in the same boat as guys, waiting for that damn email to come, when I stumbled across that link in one of the Blizzards forums. Glad to hear that it worked for you all as well
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2004, 07:37:40 AM »

I'm getting it an average of almost 300 kps, so at this rate I should have it downloaded about the same time my email comes in a couple hours (unless Fileplanet starts sucking even more).

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2004, 07:40:36 AM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
I'm getting it an average of almost 300 kps, so at this rate I should have it downloaded about the same time my email comes in a couple hours (unless Fileplanet starts sucking even more).
Yeah, I've got 250kb/s.  So, uh, I'll have it done at 4AM CST.

I'm going to get some sleep.   Tongue

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2004, 07:46:46 AM »

I think I'll wait until open beta, if you guys say you still like it by then.   :wink:
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2004, 07:59:29 AM »

Quote from: "Fez"
I think I'll wait until open beta, if you guys say you still like it by then.   :wink:

Well I played the stress test before, so I think there's pretty much no chance of me not liking it now.  Although all that new content, updates and talents sound like a real pain in the ass.   :wink:

jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2004, 08:35:50 AM »

actually, my understanding is that the new content and talents wont be in until AFTER this stress test....

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2004, 09:29:57 AM »

Well, even since the last stress test they have added quite a bit of content and changes that I haven't gotten to see.  They completely revamped the skills/professions system, added new graphic effects (bloom, new animation system, etc) as well as talents for most of the classes.  That is a lot of new content to me!  

It may not be the Paladin talents that I really want, but I think I'll wait until retail to start that character anyway.  In the meantime I'm going to mess with a straight warrior and maybe a hunter or something.

Oh, and I'm sitting at over 7 hours and no email from Fileplanet.   :cry:
EDIT: make that 9 1/2 hours with no email and no key.  crybaby  I've got the client downloaded, installed and updated, and I can't do diddley squat!  F#@$ Fileplanet!

jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2004, 12:36:43 PM »

I'm in the same boat.  It's been 11 hours now and I have no email.  I got up early just to play so I guess I'll go get another few hours of sleep and hopefully it'll be here then.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Libal
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2004, 02:44:20 PM »

Those of you that haven't gotten their key yet, go to fileplanet.com, click MY ACCOUNT on the left side and then click on Beta Key Archive. You should see the WoW key there.

Here's a direct link to that page (you have to be logged in to Fileplanet for it to work)

http://www.fileplanet.com/betas/keydisplay_test.aspx
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2004, 02:44:29 PM »

i got my e-mail quick. but for some reason it was thrown into my junkmail folder so all night last night my inbox said i had no new e-mails. i discovered it this morning. Tongue
download is going quick though.  smile
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2004, 02:52:11 PM »

Finally got the key sent to me in email.  I had checked the page for Beta keys but it wasn't listed there until after they sent the email.  I finally can log in and play now!

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2004, 03:21:59 PM »

Still downloading from blizzard from last night....sheesh taking forever anyways if you guys end up on beta server 2 on the alliance side let me know. If they let me keep my paladin I'll run heals for the new guys and create some armor and weapons for everyone.

Ascendent
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2004, 04:38:15 PM »

Ascendant, existing beta testers and new stress testers will not be playing on the same servers. Each side can't see the other guys' servers. Blizzard said they did that so stress testers wouldn't be tempted to create characters on the existing servers where they could be powerleveled and/or have people make stuff for them. smile

This will continue through the open beta, so if you're in the closed beta and want to play with friends in the open beta, you need to get an open beta key and create an account with it.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2004, 04:41:07 PM »

Broadband here in New Zealand, until recently, has been a joke. I'm on a 256kps plan (that's a max of 32k/s). I'm getting a speed bump to a 2 Megabit connection (256k/s)... but not until the end of the month smile

This sucker's going to take a hair under 23 hours, and that's without clogging my pipe with any extra surfing.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2004, 05:08:37 PM »

blah that sucks

Ascendent
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2004, 05:10:24 PM »

IMHO Blizzard Jumped the Shark in the past week. Blizzard has always been one of my top 3 favorite game developers, I've talked them up to anyone with an interest countless times over the years. I own just about every title they have ever released. That being said I am in shock over what has transpired this past week. They took all the servers down on Friday to supposedly do maintenance and prep them for the begining of the "Final Stress Test", which by the way came completely out of the blue. The first anyone had heard of this was Thursday night when they posted they would be bringing the servers down and ending Closed beta the following day. Originally Closed Beta testers were going to be given access to the new Client, still no explanation why everyone needed to download a 2.5 gig client for the umpteen time by the way. Then a message appears saying nope sorry everyone will get access to the client at the same time. Then a little later another message stating that the "Open" Stress test will actually only be open to Fileplanet subscribers, WHAT??. Ok so a good friend of mine who did not make it into closed beta, happens to be a Fileplanet subscriber so I quickly call him up and tell him to get into the stress test as we have been dying to play together for months. He starts his Fileplanet download, ETA 2 Hours.... I start my BT download from the official WoW site, ETA 1 day, 4 hours, 47 minutes...WTF???? I then go over to the WoW forums to find out if they're is some word on this ridiculous download rate only to find out a) they are aware of it and "appologize for the inconvience" b)tons of close beta testers on college campus's cannot download the new client AT ALL..."we appologize for the inconvience" c)folks in Closed Beta and the new Stress testers will be segregated and not allowed to play together, another WTF?
So I talk with my friend and I decide to plop down 8 bucks to join Fileplanet so I can get the download about 25 hours faster and we can play together.... I go through the rigomorole to create a Fileplanet account only it gets hung while validating my credit card, I open another browser session and check my email and low and behold I already have a "Welcome to Fileplanet" message even though the other page is still trying to validate my credit card. Oh well, I close out of the stupid validation page and head over to Fileplanets home page, login with my nifty new subscription account and try and sign up for the Stress test.... hmm seems Fileplanets servers dont recognize my account as being a paying subscriber. Click on Join stress test, get taken to "JOIN FILEPLANET GET INTO WoW BETA" page, logout , login click on Join Stress Test, get taken to ..... Im sure you get the idea.... Wait about 5 hours try again HEY I get the submit your info page to join WoW and I can finally download the client.... My beta key will be mailed to me shortly. Ok download the client, takes about 2 1/2 hours.... no beta key... Install the client, no beta key... watch TV for awhile ...no beta key... get up this morning some 12 hours later....no beta key.

On top of all this Blizzard is allowing folks into the "Final Stress Test" Hunter Talents- not in yet, Paladin Talents- not in yet,  Racial traits for remaining races - not in yet, rest of crafting recipes - not in yet, Warlocks still buggy, Plainsrunning still buggy, Flying mounts still buggy, server stability, which by the way was awesome up until the last patch and then went to hell- still not corrected. Official Website/forums all but unusable, and after this weekends maintenance they have been down for all but about the first 2 hours they were brought back up. Im not saying all of these issues arent correctable, I just dont see them being corrected and properly tested/balanced in the next 2 weeks or so. Alot of my friends told me that doing an MMORPG would be the endeavor that knocked Blizzard off that pedestal. Personally I didnt believe it but I guess I was wrong. I do wonder how much of all this has to do with them getting into bed with Vivendi?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2004, 05:34:01 PM »

Well I finally got my key from the Betacenter key registry on FP, but no email to either of the accounts I gave them (and that includes junkmail folders).  Odd.  Oh, well.  Thanks to skunkmonky I already downloaded the client last night and I should be good to go!

Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2004, 05:36:47 PM »

I reckon I won't be on the same server as any of you folks.  The closest one to me was server 11, mountain time zone.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2004, 05:38:45 PM »

Could someone PLEASE tell me if the FP link is only for people who have a paid fileplanet subscription?

I started dlgin via the piece of shit blizztorrent yesterday at about 3pm. Today at 12:38, I am 46% through.

This is seriously just an inexcusable way to threat anyone trying to dowanload the client, much less loyal beta testers. Ridiculous.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2004, 05:42:33 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Could someone PLEASE tell me if the FP link is only for people who have a paid fileplanet subscription?

I started dlgin via the piece of shit blizztorrent yesterday at about 3pm. Today at 12:38, I am 46% through.

This is seriously just an inexcusable way to threat anyone trying to dowanload the client, much less loyal beta testers. Ridiculous.
Last night, Rage, there were only "Subscriber" servers which had the file.  So yes, it's paid FP subscribers only.

This may change, though.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2004, 06:01:07 PM »

Yeah, Blizzard, like, made me play their stupid game for like, completely free for like... months now.  And so now, I can't believe they're treating me like this... y'know, regular person, making me download bullshit and log in and get a key and all that.  This is Bullshit, man!  Don't they know who I am??  I'm like, sick of playing their game for free!!  This is how they repay me?  We need to rise up now!  Otherwise, next they'll be trying to get us to pay actual money to play this thing!!!   Who's with me???

I'm outraged!!!  (You can tell, see, because of the exclamation points).
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2004, 06:26:42 PM »

If this is a real stress test, then they're testing the hardware more than the software (or at least the effects on the hardware by the software). So don't ping them for not including all the latest content updates and balance tweaks. The last thing they need is people moaning about class balance when all they want to do is get an idea of server loads.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2004, 06:51:54 PM »

You gotta remember Blizzard is being rushed and this is out of thier hands. They were handed a FINAL release date to release the game months ago which is sometime in Nov. Thier parent company needs cash so WoW is getting squeezed out ready or not.

I was in the first test and I think its ready. It was ready then. Many things were missing yes but they were not that important to playability or fun. Blizzard will fix it up just like all other companies do MMO games. Its standard op for these games.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2004, 06:57:16 PM »

Man I am really getting tired of the same canned response "Hey Blizzard is allowing you to play their game for free so you should shut up and never complain about anything they do since your not paying!"

Do people honestly believe Blizzard is allowing beta testers to play their game out of the goodness of their hearts, that they thought it would be a "cool" idea to let folks play for free. It's a two way street, yes I get to BETA test their game for free and in return I provide them with feedback on the problems, bugs and issues that exist so that they can better their product and garner more sales. There are plenty of finished games out there that beta testers can play, but instead they invest their time trying to make a game that they feel has potential better with no guarantees that their efforts will see fruition. Where would WoW be right now without the beta testers, where would any MMORPG be without the beta testers?

As far as "pinging" Blizzard about content during the stress test, my point wasnt that all the content wouldnt be finished balanced for the actuall stress test but instead that the fact the stress test is a strong indicator that they game will be released shortly as in within the next two weeks.  So yes a stress test should be about beating on the hardware and no I dont care about content etc. during a stress test but seeing as this is the "Final Stress Test" I think they are jumping the gun.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2004, 07:01:25 PM »

How were people able to participate in the first stress test?  I missed it, was just curious?

morlac00 on PSN
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2004, 07:20:03 PM »

The first stress test was part of a Fileplanet subscriber deal.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2004, 07:30:35 PM »

Abaddon :

Take your pick:

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2004, 07:40:21 PM »

Quote from: "RedJak"
The first stress test was part of a Fileplanet subscriber deal.

Actually I was in the first stress test and Im not a Vileplanet subscriber.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2004, 07:44:50 PM »

So are you your basic "fanboi" or just jealous you didnt make it into beta, Lockdown??
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2004, 07:58:01 PM »

Abaddon:

Hey now, watch where you're swinging those accusations my man, I was just messin' with ya.   :wink:

Just tryin' to lighten the mood is all.

Have a cupcake, it will make you feel better.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2004, 08:03:51 PM »

Quote from: "Abaddon"
So are you your basic "fanboi" or just jealous you didnt make it into beta, Lockdown??
OOOOOOOOOOOHHH BURRRRNNNNN!!

:roll:

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2004, 08:10:49 PM »

Wow, my apologies.  I had no idea what a gruelling process this whole "beta testing" thing was.  Providing feedback, yeah.  

It would almost seem - and I know this is nutty - that playing the game for free would be compensation for the feedback you provided.  Especially since, presumably, you voluntarily entered into the closed beta process.  Given that, I'm at a loss to understand the expectation that, upon reaching the end of the closed beta process, Blizzard owes you some other "thanks".  They don't owe you the fruits of your labor, or free swag, or even a first shot at the stress test.  In fact, Blizzard clearly indicated the closed beta process was over.  Frankly, I'm tired of reading post after post on the WOW boards whining about how poorly Blizzard is treating the CB'ers.  I know it's hard for the Closed Beta folks to accept that they're just regular-old-people now, but.... it's over.  Let's move on.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2004, 08:11:56 PM »

Lockdown,

Since you threw in sprinkles too its all good smile

Seriously, my appologies if it was meant as a joke.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2004, 08:28:52 PM »

Hey Jament,

Apparently I missed something in my own posts, was wondering if you could help me out and maybe point out the part where I wrote, "beta testing was a gruelling process" or the line where I asked "to be compensated for my efforts"? Hey really appreciate it bud!
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2004, 08:52:02 PM »

For the last few years I've blocked out all of the details in regard to this game. For the first time, I wanted a fresh experience with an online game.

My verdict after a few hours: It makes a great first impression. I've gained 4 levels, I have 6-7 new pieces of clothing/armor and I'm having fun! I don't like playing for 4+ hours just to get a leather left glove or one other item. I like all the positive reinforcement.

I know bandwidth isn't free and I don't have tiem to mess with bitorrents, so I've always had a fileplanet subscription and I appreciate the chance to play it early.

Great fun. Thanks to those that got it this far.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: