http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 01:50:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW: Open Beta coming sooooon  (Read 5673 times)
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2004, 08:37:29 PM »

Signs are happening, the planets are aligning, WoW open beta is certainly on its way:

1. worldofwarcraft.com is announcing 14 hours of maintenance over the next 2 days for the game. To me this is them backing stuff up and moving to the "real" hardware setup. They also need to configure the new servers for the OB (note, most of this work CAN be done without taking the existing servers offline but I'm sure part of it involves changing the hardware and they'll want to test thoroughly to make sure people can reach all the new and old servers.

2. In addition, WoW.com is saying that they're taking the closed beta account registration servers offline 10/15 and that after then you WON'T be able to create a closed beta account.

3. They are still aiming for an 11/15 launch (as I've postulated in other threads).

I'm now thinking maybe the Open Beta signups will be processed on a rolling basis - why else would the closed beta account creation be ending? Ok maybe for a week or so nobody will be able to create a new account - but maybe - just maybe - they'll process Open Beta signups on a rolling basis. That is, people sign up and 24 hours later everyone gets a key and an URL to go download the game. This lets people get into the game in smaller clumps which will make the introductory experience better (less chance of overcrowding).

I suppose we'll see in a day or so, but regardless as to how Blizzard does it, Open Beta is very very close!

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Warfran
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 09:00:49 PM »

Great news!

Good God I'm starting to drool,what a mess. biggrin

Warfran
Ascendent
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 09:12:26 PM »

If we are in closed beta do we have to sign up again for open?

Ascendent
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 04:01:14 AM »

The WoW website is going down tomorrow morning at 5am (PST) for two hours.  I would say that's a good indication that they are getting ready for the sign ups after that.  

I think if you are already in the closed beta you don't have to sign up again.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 04:38:52 AM »

Also, in the ad in my current issue of PC Gamer:

"Check www.worldofwarcraft.com to sign up for the Open Beta Test!"

biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Odin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 04:52:12 AM »

And I still say an 11/15 release date is insane. The game just isn't done yet. They're still seeing plenty of bugs - heck they've just introduced a major change to the game (durability) that's all but untested. Two classes don't have their talents yet. And you can't tell me "they've got all this stuff done internally, they just aren't having it beta tested." One of the devs said a couple days ago that the guy in the next office was creating the missing talents right then and there. Not ready. Not ready. Not ready.

At the end of the day, I don't care. I'm tired of WoW, I'm beat up by all the new rules they've added in the last 6 months that have sucked a lot of the fun out of a terrifically fun game, and I'm not planning to play retail. But I call 'em like I see 'em, and I don't see this one as done to the quality standard common to all prior Blizzard games.

Sith

Formerly Sith Lord
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 05:23:17 AM »

While I do hope all the Talents are in and functional before retail, balance is something I'm not too worried about--if every class can solo and every class can be useful in a group, (as some reports claim), I don't see how issues of balancing are going to disrupt enjoyable play.

An issue of balance is an issue I can forgive, as long as the developer is committed to the game and wants to make it the best it can be.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 10:07:20 AM »

Sith:

ready or not 11/15 it probably will be.

And I'm sure talents will be in by then. Yeah, I saw that post too - the impression I got from it was that the guy working on Hunter talents had finished them. And I'm sure they and the Paladins will have em before 11/15.

And I agree with you on the fact that introducing big changes right before opening up is a bad thing. I don't think it mattters to whoever makes the release decision though (the bad boys at Vivendi I guess is who we'll tag this on). Will it all be polished, balanced, everything be fixed? Probably not, but I doubt any of that will make a difference regarding a release date.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 01:16:04 PM »

If you look RIGHT NOW! (9:15 EDT) they have a pretty neat screen up.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 03:25:35 PM »

I don't see any change to the community WoW website.  I do get a sign-in popup screen though.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 03:31:47 PM »

Quote from: "Sith Lord"
And I still say an 11/15 release date is insane. The game just isn't done yet. They're still seeing plenty of bugs - heck they've just introduced a major change to the game (durability) that's all but untested. Two classes don't have their talents yet. And you can't tell me "they've got all this stuff done internally, they just aren't having it beta tested." One of the devs said a couple days ago that the guy in the next office was creating the missing talents right then and there. Not ready. Not ready. Not ready.

At the end of the day, I don't care. I'm tired of WoW, I'm beat up by all the new rules they've added in the last 6 months that have sucked a lot of the fun out of a terrifically fun game, and I'm not planning to play retail. But I call 'em like I see 'em, and I don't see this one as done to the quality standard common to all prior Blizzard games.

I have been in the beta since late March and I agree with your entire post, except the part about not planning to play retail.  I will be playing in retail but I am a lot less enthusiastic about the game than I used to be.

olaf
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 04:01:57 PM »

I'm not going to play retail either. I've been beta testing it for many months now and it just isn't all that fun....it also isn't anywhere near ready for launch.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 05:24:41 PM »

Didn't see anything new in the WoW site thumbsdown tear
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 05:25:30 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
I'm not going to play retail either. I've been beta testing it for many months now and it just isn't all that fun....it also isn't anywhere near ready for launch.

As I played the beta, I found that it was extremely well done and could've been launched just about anytime within the past month or two.

Yes, some things aren't complete, but I look at it this way:

When was the last time that Blizzard released ANYTHING before it was 'done'?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ranulf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 06:13:30 PM »

Hmm, whats up with durability? How does it work?
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2004, 07:17:55 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "Hetz"

As I played the beta, I found that it was extremely well done and could've been launched just about anytime within the past month or two.

Yes, some things aren't complete, but I look at it this way:

When was the last time that Blizzard released ANYTHING before it was 'done'?

Well there is a first time for everything and barring some kind of divine intervention, this is going to be it.  Everything in the last two months SCREAMS rushed release.  The stress test with about zero heads up.  The open beta coming right now.  The patches getting less documented and more buggy.  Etc.  etc.  WoW is coming to retail in November, take that to the bank.  And, there is just no way in hell the game will be in a typical Blizzard-done state by then.  No way.  I will concede that it could easily be the most polished day one MMO ever, but that doesnt mean it will actually be ready and that there wont be tons of nerfs to come, because there will be.

As for durability, have you played Diablo?  Thats it.  They just lifted the system.  Its incredibly lame.  Stuff wears out way too quickly and its tedious and silly to have to babysit your gear in an MMO.

olaf
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2004, 07:54:06 PM »

Quote from: "olaf"
I will concede that it could easily be the most polished day one MMO ever, but that doesnt mean it will actually be ready and that there wont be tons of nerfs to come, because there will be.

There has yet to be a MMO "ready" for release.  I don't know about you, but I'll take a stable engine and a game described as "the most polished day one MMO ever" over waiting another fucking year or two for everyone to decide the game is "perfect."

I've said this before and I'll say it again:  Blizzard is extremely good about patching up balance issues.  The only thing I can fault them for is taking a long time to fix up Diablo 2's balance problems by releasing v1.10 (if you'll recall, pre-1.10 Necromancers of any sort were utterly awful, plus Elemental Druids simply could not be played they sucked so bad--1.10 balanced the game almost perfectly, though it took a year from when it was announced to be released).

Look at the myriad of patches for Warcraft 3, and to a lesser extent, Starcraft.  Blizzard takes the time to balance their games.

As for the durability issue:  I never found it to be a problem in Diablo 2, so I doubt I'll find it to be a problem in World of Warcraft, unless the repair prices are absurd (and I think absurd repair prices and realistic decay rates are fair on super high-end gear so as to discourage twinking... DAOC did this to an extent, but it felt artificial--a kick ass weapon shouldn't be damage capped by level ala DAOC, but it should decay at a rate multiplied by a proportion of the recommended level versus the user level...)

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2004, 08:42:15 PM »

Well the website is updated and still no word on the Open Beta slots!  Hulk need game badly!

Odin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2004, 02:01:18 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
There has yet to be a MMO "ready" for release.  I don't know about you, but I'll take a stable engine and a game described as "the most polished day one MMO ever" over waiting another fucking year or two for everyone to decide the game is "perfect."

Thing is, exaggerating like that doesn't make your point any more valid. Nobody's suggesting that the game is a year or more away from being finished. Personally, I think about 2 additional months would make a world of difference. Three tops (and yes, I'm figuring on an additional month worth of dev time while the CDs are being pressed and the game is shipping to retailers).

Do I think this will happen? Nope. Do I think it SHOULD happen? Yep. But I'll grant that nobody really asked me.

Sith

Formerly Sith Lord
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2004, 03:45:22 AM »

I have complete faith in Blizzard that they will eventually balance the game.

Thing is, for me anyway, when I put hundreds of hours into something, as I am bound to do in any MMO that I like, I get really, really pissed off when my investment is devalued overnight, oftentimes because of piss poor testing of content prior to it going live, or some arbitrary decision by people who frankly know less about the game than I do (not that that is necessarily the case in WoW...but it damn sure was in EQ and DAoC).  Sure not everyone feels this way or is that overly attached to their time investment, but a lot are and nerfs, and the player reactions they incite, cause irreparable bad blood in an MMO community and are the leading cause of forum closures and devs becoming jaded, tight lipped and arrogant.

So, that is why I would rather them get it right in beta.  I know they will end up nerfing a lot of shit in retail, and that will suck.

olaf
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2004, 10:30:24 AM »

I will concede that it could easily be the most polished day one MMO ever, but that doesnt mean it will actually be ready and that there wont be tons of nerfs to come, because there will be.

There has yet to be a MMO "ready" for release.  

Final Fantasy XI was 100% stable and very ready for release. Never say never.  smile

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2004, 12:52:17 AM »

Where the g#$#@!)F$)# is this Open Beta signup?!  My weekend is here and I want to waste it!

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2004, 05:02:48 AM »

Quote from: "slackerjoe"

There has yet to be a MMO "ready" for release.  

Final Fantasy XI was 100% stable and very ready for release. Never say never.  smile

That's because it had been out for a year in Japan.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2004, 07:25:55 PM »

Well, it looks like Blizzard has once again proved that they know nothing about time related vocabulary.  It will be nearly two weeks since they announced sign-ups were coming "soon".  I think most people will agree that "soon" has come and gone.

Who reads these anyway?
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2004, 07:27:54 PM »

I have been checking daily to see if they are taking the sign ups yet.  I'm torn on this one, I want this to be the best game it can be, so I say take their time.  On the other hand, I am going crazy waiting.  This is definitely my most anticipated game, well above HL2 even.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2004, 01:30:08 AM »

Yeah, I've been going friggin nuts waiting for that sign to change!  Just before my weekend I think I check the site a couple times a day just hoping beyond all hope that I can get my game on!

Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2004, 09:47:37 AM »

Clearly, in Blizzard land, soon means several weeks.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2004, 01:59:39 PM »

Didn't Tiny Ogre work for Blizzard?  I haven't seen him around to let us know the real scoop since the cataclysm.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2004, 02:02:43 PM »

Patience...the path to open beta will unfold itself before you all in time. Its worth the wait.

Ascendent
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2004, 03:52:31 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
Patience...the path to open beta will unfold itself before you all in time. Its worth the wait.

Ascendent

This is much easier to say when you're already playing the closed beta.   :wink:

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2004, 05:20:01 PM »

*chuckles* only by the grace of Toxo did I manage to get in. You guys will love it I say lets get organized now so we can group together. During the stress test and now I've only played Paladins but I think I'll play a Shaman during open.  How about the rest of you?

Ascendent
Warfran
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2004, 05:41:50 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
*chuckles* only by the grace of Toxo did I manage to get in. You guys will love it I say lets get organized now so we can group together. During the stress test and now I've only played Paladins but I think I'll play a Shaman during open.  How about the rest of you?

Ascendent

I haven't got in the beta but I think I'll probably lean towards a Paladin myself,but I'll have a better idea after messing with the game a bit.

I like the idea of grouping together especially with someone who already knows his way around a bit.

Warfran
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2004, 06:30:03 PM »

I played an undead warrior a lot in the stress test and had a blast with him.  I may do that for a horde character and play my dwarven hunter on the alliance side.  Those were my two favorites from all the many combinations I tried over that sweet, sweet golden weekend... now I'm making myself all  misty... Tongue

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2004, 06:57:10 PM »

Lets decide on a side then. We don't only have to play them during open but I much prefer grouping with you guys as opposed to soloing. Which is all I do now at 20.  I can go either side personally. On Alliance I'd prob go Druid  on horde side I'd go Shaman. Either way is fine. Getting around is fairly easy at least on the alliance side. I made it a point to just travel with my Paladin.

Ascendent
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2004, 10:55:10 PM »

I'd love to join you all if I get in the OB.  If not, then at retail.  I haven't decided a side yet, and I think I'll be either a Mage or a Rogue.

obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2004, 10:56:43 PM »

Me and my fiance are probably going to hit up Alliance (NE Warrior, Human Mage) though may play Undead Warlock and Tauren Druid on the side during Open and as alts later.
Warfran
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2004, 11:27:37 PM »

If I get into the open beta I'm going to start on the Alliance side and give the Horde a go after I learn the game a bit.I want to try as many classes as I can in the open beta.

Hopefully I have a good idea what I will stick with by retail.

Warfran
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2004, 11:35:02 PM »

Paladins are very boring i can tell ya.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Warfran
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2004, 11:54:09 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Paladins are very boring i can tell ya.

That's what I've heard,but I'm hoping once they get updated in the next patch,as I heard they are, they will be worth playing again.

Warfran
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2004, 11:59:44 PM »

Have to disagree with you Daehawk. Sorry you didn't like them though Daehawk but I love playing my Paladin I find him to be extremely fun and versatile. Nice selection of spells/ablities and very solid fighter. In addition this is without talents as well sure once they get talents implemented they'll be even much more fun and effective.

Now granted up untill level 10 your in a bad way but once you get crusader strike, then things get alot easier.  In retail I'll be playing a human Paladin no doubt in my mind about this.

Anyways as for the open beta why don't we just list what race/class we'll be playing and we can go from there.

Ascendent
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: