http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 07:24:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW makes 1 billion dollars last year  (Read 1724 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2008, 06:18:35 AM »

Or close to it

Yep been saying all along how they must make mucho millions each month.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8913&Itemid=2
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 06:21:39 AM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 06:53:51 AM »

wow, it's almost as if they will never have to make another game ever again until it's time for WoW 2.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 04:39:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 31, 2008, 06:53:51 AM

wow, it's almost as if they will never have to make another game ever again until it's time for WoW 2.

Heck, the way Diablo 2 still sells at local shops I'm surprised they even felt the need to make WoW. smile

16-bit and loving it!
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 05:19:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 31, 2008, 06:53:51 AM

Well, yes and no.

No they don't need to make a new game

Yes, they need to make new content for Wow to keep it fresh.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 06:12:44 PM »

I'd be curious what the operating costs are (servers, 24/7 employees etc.) to run WoW in all the various locations it's in now. I'm sure the actual operating profit is still quite substantial.  icon_biggrin

While the monthly fees vary according to regions, if you (just for sake of a vaguely ballpark number) multiply 10 million subscribers by $15 a month, that's about $150 million a month, so that's about $1.8 billion a year. So maybe the rest of Vivendi Games is losing $800 million a year.  icon_lol  Again, it's not really that simple because of the varying fees and the not exactly strong U.S. dollar right now. The dollar fluctuates wildly these days, so I doubt that Blizzard constantly adjusts overseas WoW-fee rates to always be a $15 equivalent.

What's interesting in MMO land these days is it seems like half the industry is at least marketing itself as widely different from WoW in an attempt to be fresher, and probably the other half is desperately trying to emulate it in hopes of achieving even 10% (any MMO publisher would sell its soul for just 1 million subscribers, much less 10M) of its success. I never warmed up to WoW (I did buy it just after launch), but I still find it odd to market a game with a "Hey, that game that 10 million people are playing is unimaginative and old school! Come play us instead!" mentality.  icon_confused

I can't help thinking that Funcom (Age of Conan) and EA-Mythic (Warhammer Online) are so intimidated by WoW (though they'll never say it) that they'll just keep delaying all the way to 2010 or later in hopes the WoW juggernaut will slow down enough for something else to get a large share of the market. But there'll be another WoW expansion by then, so it's probably a moot point.

That's the end of my deep thoughts with Jack Handey for the day... stirthepot

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 06:27:09 PM »

I still wish Imperator had been made. Stupid fantasy crap is getting boring.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 07:33:51 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 31, 2008, 06:12:44 PM

I can't help thinking that Funcom (Age of Conan) and EA-Mythic (Warhammer Online) are so intimidated by WoW (though they'll never say it) that they'll just keep delaying all the way to 2010 or later in hopes the WoW juggernaut will slow down enough for something else to get a large share of the market. But there'll be another WoW expansion by then, so it's probably a moot point.

If you're intimidated by world of warcraft, you shouldn't make an Mumorperger. I honestly think it's next to impossible for another one to have the same level of success currently enjoyed by WoW, and it will be a good five years before another great one is made. I honestly have no idea how you get players to move to another game in the genre. How many have flopped over the past ten years, and how do you define a flop in this genre?

There's really only been three successes in the market - Ultima Online, Everquest, and World of Warcraft. It's been three years now since the last success.

One of the most amazing things about world of warcraft is how they've taken the formula and dumbed it down, so it appeals to even non-gamers. A friend of my wife's started playing, and before WoW, the closest thing to a video game she played was frickin Buffy the Vampire Slayer on XBox, and before that... peggle? Everyone can figure out how to play WoW, there's always something new around the next corner, and it's cheap! And there's nothing as much fun as sharing that experience with a group of friends.

Finally, how do you get players to stop playing after investing 3+ years into a game? That addiction is so entrenched that they're not likely to jump ship to another MMO anytime in the near future. They're invariably going to look at the game, note the lack of polish it has compared to years of WoW, and not enjoy it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 07:37:16 PM by DragonFyre » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 08:01:47 PM »

No offense but this isn't really news-they have been forecasting this for a while and had virtually identical numbers last year. Their operating costs seem to be roughly 500 million FYI.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 08:09:50 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on January 31, 2008, 07:33:51 PM

There's really only been three successes in the market - Ultima Online, Everquest, and World of Warcraft. It's been three years now since the last success.

Well that is not entirely accurate. For the US it is, but for the world, as a whole, there have been and still are other successful MMO's out there. If we are looking at the 10million subscribers in WoW, you got to look at it from a worldwide perspective imhmmolo. Lineage and Lineage 2 both put up some good numbers back in the day, over 2mil for Lineage1, and over 3mil for Lineage 2.

Toe

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 08:12:32 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 31, 2008, 08:01:47 PM

Their operating costs seem to be roughly 500 million FYI.

Where did you get that info from?
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 08:32:55 PM »

I think they have to disclose this stuff since Vivendi is a publicly traded company.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 08:37:26 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 31, 2008, 08:32:55 PM

I think they have to disclose this stuff since Vivendi is a publicly traded company.

Public disclosure, don't have time to provide link now, sorry-be back later today.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 11:25:43 PM »

I can't help thinking that Funcom (Age of Conan) and EA-Mythic (Warhammer Online) are so intimidated by WoW (though they'll never say it) that they'll just keep delaying all the way to 2010 or later in hopes the WoW juggernaut will slow down enough for something else to get a large share of the market.

Nah it doesn't really work like that.  WoW is simply a fact of life.  No one making an MMO thinks they're going to topple Warcraft at this point.  You set out to make a profitable game that has long term growth potential.  WoW has 10 million subscribers and no doubt they couldn't be happier, but there's no reason an MMO can't be very successful with far less.  Most of the others out there seem to hover in the 100k-200k range.  Everquest 1 is still out there and still making money. 
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 05:39:03 AM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on January 31, 2008, 07:33:51 PM

If you're intimidated by world of warcraft, you shouldn't make an Mumorperger. I honestly think it's next to impossible for another one to have the same level of success currently enjoyed by WoW, and it will be a good five years before another great one is made. I honestly have no idea how you get players to move to another game in the genre. How many have flopped over the past ten years, and how do you define a flop in this genre?

One of the most amazing things about world of warcraft is how they've taken the formula and dumbed it down, so it appeals to even non-gamers. A friend of my wife's started playing, and before WoW, the closest thing to a video game she played was frickin Buffy the Vampire Slayer on XBox, and before that... peggle? Everyone can figure out how to play WoW, there's always something new around the next corner, and it's cheap! And there's nothing as much fun as sharing that experience with a group of friends.

Finally, how do you get players to stop playing after investing 3+ years into a game? That addiction is so entrenched that they're not likely to jump ship to another MMO anytime in the near future. They're invariably going to look at the game, note the lack of polish it has compared to years of WoW, and not enjoy it.

Wow is simple to learn but difficult to master. If you think that joe shmoe is going to be doing end game raids then you're mistaken. Other games aren't "harder" they're just more "grindy." Sorry, but having to kill mor emobs to level doesn't = difficulty.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 11:31:30 AM »

I don't think WoW is hard by definition. Some things take LONG hours of commitment to do them, that isn't hard in my opinion, just a time sink.

After 3 years of playing WoW I didn't once say to myself, man, this is hard. Again, my definition of hard might different from yours. If hard means huge time commitments, then yes the end game of WoW is hard.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 03:32:46 PM »

It would be more hard if your guild sucked. 

I really enjoyed my time playing wow, but too much of a time commitment for end game raiding than I can give anymore. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on February 01, 2008, 05:39:03 AM

Wow is simple to learn but difficult to master. If you think that joe shmoe is going to be doing end game raids then you're mistaken. Other games aren't "harder" they're just more "grindy." Sorry, but having to kill mor emobs to level doesn't = difficulty.

I beg to differ and see it the other way around. Difficult to learn, simple to "master". Anyone I've tried to get into WoW that doesn't already do a lot of PC gaming can't get into it. Currently I'm working on getting my brother into it but he has to deal with a lot of frustration, much less than the frustrations that I've experienced from end-game raiding and PVP. That's why I'm always surprised at how fast the game grows, its not as easy to get into it as it seems, IMMO.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 04:36:58 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
unbreakable
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 09:48:02 PM »

I don't find WoW all that hard.  I've been playing MMOGs since UO, and this was the first game I've ever had a character at the level cap.  It wasn't for lack of trying, but I eventually tired of the grind on all of them.

Anyone who thinks WoW is a grind needs to go play EQ1.  Or, heaven help them, DAoC or FFXI.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 03:09:36 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 31, 2008, 08:37:26 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on January 31, 2008, 08:32:55 PM

Public disclosure, don't have time to provide link now, sorry-be back later today.

So was it the operating cost for Vivendi as a whole, Blizzard as a whole, or just the operating cost for World of Warcraft?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: