http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 08:19:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW - FREE Open Beta date announced  (Read 7499 times)
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2004, 12:59:22 AM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
So is the issue that the official open beta did start today (the 8th), but that there's just a massive hit on the servers?

Yes, the open beta just started this evening.  Blizzard even closed their beta community site tonight.  Goto www.battle.net for more details.  I got my open beta key from registering (for free) at fileplanet.
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2004, 01:07:07 AM »

I'd be willing to try this game out, but not if it requires a fileplanet subscription.  So blizzard's not hosting the client?
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2004, 01:18:12 AM »

Quote from: "Torfish"
Quote from: "Hansey"

Edit:  Torfish, where did you get the key from? Fileplanet or the World of Warcraft site?

Fileplanet.  Their open beta registeration was quick.  I got a key right away about 15 minutes ago.  I just can't get into a server to download the client.   The FOUR public fileplanet servers are full.  Sucks.  I don't feel like babysitting the computer tonight.  But I want to start playing tomorrow.

Did you pay for a fileplanet account? the keys were gone before you posted i think so i have no idea how you got one. fileplanet has also been dead or damn close to dead most of the day so i don't know about your "quick registeration....
warning

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2004, 01:42:55 AM »

From worldofwarcraft.com:
The World of Warcraft and Open Beta Account Creation sites are temporarily down. We are experiencing technical difficulties on our end and are working diligently to restore service to this site. We apologize for any inconvenience this is causing you. We do not currently have an estimated time for when the World of Warcraft Web site will be back up, but we are working extremely hard to solve these technical difficulties as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Please note that until the World of Warcraft Web site has been restored, any further World of Warcraft updates will be posted on our Battle.net Web site.

Heh.  Doesn't bode well for opening day eh?
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2004, 01:57:28 AM »

no fileplanet account.  I just clicked on their open beta registeration link and filled out my e-mail address, name, address, and birthdate.  It had me input a word for authorization.  Then I got my key on the 'congradulation' page.  

Still waiting for a server to download though.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2004, 02:01:10 AM »

They now have the download available at worldofwarcraft.com

Can't make an account yet but you can start the download.. Seeing as the estimated download time for me, with broadband, is over a day I imagine that the account creation stuff will be back up by then

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2004, 02:06:57 AM »

Yeah!  I just started my download and getting 260KB/sec!  Now I can go watch some football.  I will install tomorrow morning.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2004, 02:42:51 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
From worldofwarcraft.com:
The World of Warcraft and Open Beta Account Creation sites are temporarily down. We are experiencing technical difficulties on our end and are working diligently to restore service to this site. We apologize for any inconvenience this is causing you. We do not currently have an estimated time for when the World of Warcraft Web site will be back up, but we are working extremely hard to solve these technical difficulties as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Please note that until the World of Warcraft Web site has been restored, any further World of Warcraft updates will be posted on our Battle.net Web site.

Heh.  Doesn't bode well for opening day eh?

Actually, better now than on opening day.  I assume they will address whatever deficiencies this test has exposed.  I dont think the launch will be perfect, but I would be shocked if they fucked it up as bad as SWG or any of the other more infamou launch day MMOs.

olaf
ebane67
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2004, 03:20:30 AM »

140 kb/sec! woohoo! maybe if I hold my breath it will dl faster!
 :shock:

I'm Hudson, HE'S Hicks...sir
Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2004, 03:24:07 AM »

Just great! Apparently my college campus limits BitTorrent (like most campuses with peer-to-peer programs).  My max download speed is 4.0kb/sec and that didn't last long.  I'll be lucky if the client is downloaded by Wednesday evening.  If anyone gets it downloaded and is willing to send it over AIM or something please let me know.  It's almost guaranteed to be faster than this.

Who reads these anyway?
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2004, 03:33:29 AM »

I'm getting about 12.0 kb/sec so it will take awhile.  The downloader says I'm behind a firewall and I went in and disabled the windows one and port fowarded the suggested ports on my router so I'm not hopeful of getting it anytime soon.  I don't have a key yet either so this could all be for nothing but what the heck.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2004, 03:49:39 AM »

I was getting 22kb/sec, and got the firewall nag too. I'm not forwarding any ports, and I'm not waiting 25 hours for it to finish. I don't care that much about it. If I see it in the binary newsgroups, maybe I'll get it.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2004, 04:07:47 AM »

Yep, I'm also behind a firewall and am running about 38k a second. *shrug* it'll be ready when I get home from work tomorrow night

Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2004, 04:19:33 AM »

Figured this would happen.
The best $8 I ever spent was on a FP account to get this.

Very, very cool game. I can easily see myself playing this for a year+.
ebane67
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2004, 05:29:35 AM »

I hear more open beta keys are on the way from 'gizzard', but no luck yet.  This is really crazy!  I have just about had it, and the sad thing is even with a FP account, getting into the beta was almost impossible!

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2004, 07:02:02 AM »

I bypassed my router and increased my speed to about 25-30 Kb/s so I guess it is just slow, I tested my dsl speed connection and it came in at about 1.0 Mb/s so it's gotta be that bittorrent thing.  I"ll probably keep it running all night to see how far I get but if it dosen't work out the retail isn't too far away for me (plus I don't even have a key yet so all this downloading could be for nought)
ebane67
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2004, 07:54:36 AM »

Well, I finally got a key!  Now to see what all the fuss is about...tomorrow.
 :?

Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2004, 02:36:22 PM »

Yup, they started giving out keys (and not being down) some time last night. I had a nice little post ready, but i forget to post it before i went to sleep.
Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2004, 03:58:32 PM »

PLEASE! If someone gets it downloaded and is willing to send it over AIM or some other similar program please let me know.  I woke up today only to find that the Blizzard Downloader committed an illegal operation.  All the files are in the right directory, but they are empty (0 kb).  If left to BitTorrent's and my school's devices I will NEVER get this downloaded (literally).  I am begging anyone who gets the installer to have mercy on a poor soul, who now has an account and key and loved the Stess Test but has no way to play.

Who reads these anyway?
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2004, 06:00:06 PM »

I broke down and got the fileplanet founder's club + IGN Insider dealie. :oops:   $20 for 3 months of a maxed out service, so I can get the betas plus IGN has 900+ PDF guides, so for me it's worth it for that. I just didn't want to buy the whole year thing.

I'm getting WoW now at 400kb/sec, and I should have it in another hour or so.

Question, if I decide to subscribe. do we have to go buy the retail, or can we just update this beta, and purchase a key from blizzard?
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2004, 06:26:07 PM »

fyi i'm d/l'ing from fileplanet without subscribing.  you do have to wait an hour or so but you can use their public servers now, no need to pay if you aren't wanting the other services.  the d/l is a bit slow but it's free and 10 times quicker than blizzards.  i should be done in 4 hours total.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2004, 07:15:44 PM »

Ok, I have the game. How do i get my key?
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2004, 07:43:02 PM »

Darn, maybe I should try downloading it at Fileplanet. Right now I'm getting about 35k/sec from Blizzard's website. If that rate keeps up, I'll have the whole game downloaded in a mere 14 hours from now!
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2004, 07:45:24 PM »

Ok, I have the game. How do i get my key?

Go to worldofwarcraft.com and follow the links to sign up

Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2004, 07:45:51 PM »

I downloaded it from file planet and it took around 2 hrs. Then I went to warcraft.com and created a new profile. Took less then 2 min. WooHoo! And to answer your question about the cd key Jeff. You get the key when you create your pofile.

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2004, 07:51:39 PM »

Thanks guys. heading there now to sign up.

err.. wtf. I create my account... start the game and it says I have to get an update, please restart. Ok. I get the update and I restart, and it tells me I have to get an update, please restart.. again. OK. Now it's pulling a 19 mb patch at a whopping 2.0 kb per second.

darn it.

Once I do finally get up n running, anyone care to show me around? smile
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2004, 08:43:29 PM »

Now it's pulling a 19 mb patch at a whopping 2.0 kb per second.

I followed the advice and opened the right ports in my firewall last night and the patch download speed jumped considerably.  Otherwise it would have taken forever!

---
XBox Live: ScottW
warning

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2004, 08:44:56 PM »

Thanks guys. heading there now to sign up.

err.. wtf. I create my account... start the game and it says I have to get an update, please restart. Ok. I get the update and I restart, and it tells me I have to get an update, please restart.. again. OK. Now it's pulling a 19 mb patch at a whopping 2.0 kb per second.

darn it.

Once I do finally get up n running, anyone care to show me around? smile

I'll be on tonight around 8-9 CST.  I'm on Test 26 (I think).
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2004, 10:56:20 PM »

I tried it.

I'll just say it's not for me, and leave it at that slywink

Hope everyone else has fun with it, though. Back to Halo 2 and Ratchet & Clank smile
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2004, 11:03:35 PM »

If anyone wants my beta account, you're welcome to it.  It comes with a level 22 Warlock/Alchemist/Herbalist with a few gold worth of gear and cash on Test Server 6.

Just PM me and it's yours.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2004, 11:12:49 PM »

You are out for sure LE? EQ2 for you?
Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2004, 11:35:12 PM »

Woohoo!  I stopped bothering with the ultra crappy BitTorrent and went to Fileplanet.  At a rock steady 8.0kb/sec it should only take 3.5 days until the client is mine!!!!

Who reads these anyway?
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2004, 12:38:27 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
You are out for sure LE? EQ2 for you?
Until it's better balanced, yes.

And I'll be trying EQ2, yes.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2004, 12:45:19 AM »

Only an hour and a half left...

and then I'll have to do the updates which will probably be slow enough to give me very little play time tonight   :?

Looking forward to checking it out though, finally

Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2004, 12:57:19 AM »

The 19mb patch actually wasn't to bad for me.  Downloaded at around 80k/s, but this was right after it was released.

Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2004, 10:49:49 PM »

Through a miraculous overnight jump in speed I finally got the client downloaded 24 hours later.  But now I need the 19mb patch and BitTorrent blows.  Is there anyplace I can download the patch besides BitTorrent? I've tried looking with no luck.

Who reads these anyway?
unbreakable
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2004, 11:09:16 PM »

blizzard downloader seems very BT-esque to me.  Others have tweaked the upload speed in order to maximize downloading, so maybe it can work for you.

I got lucky with downloading the client; my friend has a fileplanet account, so I just borrowed it in order to get WoW.  I still had to suffer with getting the account, however, but I already had it at that point.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2004, 08:27:38 AM »

The Blizzard downloader is BT...just a crappy implementation of it.

olaf
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: