http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 06:30:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW - FREE Open Beta date announced  (Read 7510 times)
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2004, 11:51:42 AM »

Just got the Blizzard newsletter.  Open beta to start Nov. 8th.  

I must try the Taurens.  They just got a new mount.
Toe
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 12:51:43 PM »

Quote from: "Torfish"
Just got the Blizzard newsletter.  Open beta to start Nov. 8th.  

I must try the Taurens.  They just got a new mount.

Unless you have lots and lots of time to devote to playing (i.e. do not work or go to school) then you probably will not be able to get to 40th level and get the 100 gold required in two weeks (when the game goes retail).

Plus, a mount is a mount the way i see it. I mean once the initial coolness factor wears off (a day maybe?) then its just a means of getting from point A to point B faster than walking.
obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 01:02:33 PM »

But it's a KODO!!!
If you've seen how large Tauren are and seen how large the mounts are...
Regardless of mount functionality, a Tauren with a Kodo is just too cool to pass up.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 04:38:37 PM »

A mount isnt just a mount!  There are a bunch of different kinds and some of them are a hell of a lot cooler looking than others.

I got a wolf mount for my human female warrior.  Its cool.

olaf
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 04:42:30 PM »

So can anyone join this beta, and download the game for free?
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 04:52:30 PM »

As a follow-up to the above post, is there anywhere to download the client for free at the moment?  It would be nice if we could start downloading the client now in anticipation of the open beta.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 05:03:06 PM »

Fez, I just found this on battle.net

Please note that a subscription to FilePlanet is required in order to join the final stress test. For those who wish to wait until the free open beta starts to join in, we will be releasing information about signups for that in the week ahead.

So it'll cost you at least $7 to start playing now. Else, we'd have to wait for where to get the client for the open beta.
Geezerone
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 08:43:42 PM »

Lol!  The open starting on the 8th is simply a marketing ploy to distract buyers from EQ2.  I was wondering how Blizzard was going to fend off the 2 week head start that SOE has on them.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 09:50:25 PM »

The entire beta has been at least as much of a marketing tool as a means of fixing bugs and tuning the game.  In fact I would argue it was more of a marketing tool than anything else.  Blizzard is playing for keeps.

olaf
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2004, 09:54:22 PM »

And if players like me (casual MMORPGers that were looking for a game to come along to convince us to stay in the genre) are any indication, they are going to be massively successful. This is by far the most accessible, solo-friendly, frustration free, fun MMO experience I have ever had, period. It gives me hope for the entire genre.
ebane67
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2004, 11:36:25 PM »

I must totally agree with you, Rage.  I have played just about every online fantasy game there is, and have always been a 'casual palyer'.  One of the things that I always used to argue about with a buddy of mine, was the reasoning behind the 'raids' in eq1.  I simply can't imagine an online gaming event lasting 12 hours with no guarantee of accomplishing anything!  But thats another topic for discussion, I guess.
Anyway, in my few days of exposure to wow, I have enjoyed playing my Tauren Druid.  But I must say, i was really surprised to see so MANY soloing peeps running about.  Where are all the groupers at?

I'm Hudson, HE'S Hicks...sir
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2004, 11:43:05 PM »

I too am for the most part a casual mmorpg player, and thus have found WoW to be excellent.  BUT.. like Ebane I've found that most people are soloing, and while grouping is there, it's kinda rare or short lived.  Do this quest.  Finished.  On to other quest, different group.  However, I am only level 12, and I imagine that grouping dynamic picks up as you level with tougher quests, or so I hope.  I have grouped a few times and found it to be fun. I like to group, and I bet being in a guild will help.  It just seems grouping isn't quite as required as I'm used to in other mmo's.

Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2004, 12:16:02 AM »

From my brief experience with the first stress test, I saw that tons of people (persumably new players) were soloing.  And I soloed most of the time as well.  I think people were just trying to figure out how to play.  

Last thing I wanted to do was join a group and be expected to do something I had no idea how to do.  

Most people were receptive to creating a group while following the same quests, but went back to soloing once that quest was completed.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2004, 12:20:18 AM »

Grouping becomes more common at high levels, because of instances.  For quests, and outdoor stuff, most people just group for a common goal, then choose a new one or go their separate ways.

olaf
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2004, 12:49:59 AM »

Ok,  I'm acutally considering trying this.  (Something about soloing in a multiplayer game appeals to my anti-social nature.)  For the first time in my life, I'm actually interestd in s MMO.  I'll be damned.

I'll think I'll actually try the open beta when it happens.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2004, 01:56:13 AM »

Anyone reading this and on the edge, TRY IT.  It's great!

I had WoW on pass and so did my fiance before we picked up the first Stress Test.  We now are planning on getting ourselves copies on release.  And we aren't MMORPG people, the game is just fun and engrossing.
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2004, 02:16:19 AM »

My Orc Hunter is making my nipples hard.

I love this game.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2004, 02:29:52 AM »

too much info machine!!!
go vote in the guild name thread everyone!!
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2004, 05:32:57 PM »

Doesn't the open beta start today?  At least according to the official Blizzard newsletter they sent out last week.  

I'm home for lunch and I would like to start downloading the huge client file.  Does anyone have a link to it?

Thanks!
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2004, 06:00:29 PM »

There's a torrent out that appears to be the right client.  All I'm going to say is, look around on the battle.net forums or, uh, some torrent sites.

I did DL it and it appears to be the right client.  Of course, since I'm not in any of the closed beta/stress test crap, I can't tell you if it's the right client yet.
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2004, 06:19:13 PM »

I have to agree with all the positive feedback so far.

If this game were released with no multiplayer online support it would still be a great game for solo play in itself.  

If someone enjoyed Morrowind, they would love this game. And the online component is icing on the cake.

I've played them all, and I think this is the best MMORPG to date because it is easy to learn and enjoy.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2004, 06:20:18 PM »

Quote from: "olaf"
A mount isnt just a mount!  There are a bunch of different kinds and some of them are a hell of a lot cooler looking than others.

I got a wolf mount for my human female warrior.  Its cool.

Guess I am a jaded gamer then because the "coolness" of having a mount wore off in about 1 day for me. Don't get me wrong, I love the extra speed and all that jazz, but I could care less if its a ram, horse, kodo, or mechanical chicken at this point.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2004, 07:01:06 PM »

I got a wolf mount for my human female warrior. Its cool.

I thought mounts were race specific, so humans received horses while Orcs received wolves?  Any screenshots of your char? smile

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2004, 07:26:40 PM »

Yes, you can ride mounts from different races.  Though in the retail release, there will be a restriction.  You need to have a certain high level of faction points to the race you want to buy the mount from.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2004, 07:30:22 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
I got a wolf mount for my human female warrior. Its cool.

I thought mounts were race specific, so humans received horses while Orcs received wolves?  Any screenshots of your char? smile

They are race specific now.  They didnt used to be though, you could have a Priest charm the appropriate NPCs and they would train you for a split second, you had to click fast.

Here are some old shots:

http://www.gamerifts.com/previews/worldwarcraft_p5.shtml

It looks pretty much the same now, except there is a saddle now on the Wolf.  I would be stunned if they do not offer a method of obtaining a cross faction mount eventually, because they went out of their way to fix animation bugs that were race specific to a more than one mount/race combo.

olaf
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2004, 09:07:49 PM »

The current patch has a bug that prevents you from getting enough faction to get other races mounts I believe...at least I read that in the patch notes.
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2004, 10:43:59 PM »

yeah, i found a link to the blizzard dler on the bnet forums and it seems to be dling ok. speed doesn't seem to great though frown

Fileplanet is pretty much dead though so hopefully worldofwarcraft.com will start giving out some keys.
Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2004, 10:56:10 PM »

Yeah this is bloody ridiculous.  After going around in circles about 25+ times I finally got to the verification page where you have to enter the stuff that shows up in a picture.  YES!!!! Except that in typical Fileplanet fashion, especially in this instance, the picture didn't load.  When I tried to refresh, it redirected me and I couldn't get back. Now I'm doing the circles again.  Fileplanet blows.  I can't wait until Blizzard starts giving out keys.  For now though it's back to the circles.

Who reads these anyway?
Haavok1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2004, 10:58:18 PM »

Same problem did not show the code in the box I was to enter.  Trying blizzard now.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2004, 11:07:24 PM »

Well, speaking from the perspective of someone who *did* manage to see the code, once you enter it and press submit you go to an error page  :x

And it appears that worldofwarcraft.com is completely down. Why do I have this feeling of deja vu? Every single major MMORPG release seems to catch the devs flatfooted and oblivious to bandwidth needs.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2004, 11:10:54 PM »

Well, I saw the code entered it. Didn't get the error but what I did get was a *All the CD keys have been depleted* ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2004, 11:26:23 PM »

Funny, I am lucky to be able to even get to the open beta sign up site without getting a server busy and now they are out of keys :evil:
Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2004, 11:29:28 PM »

Now worldofwarcraft.com is down.  If I don't get into the beta because they f'ed up and didn't have enough server capacity I will be pissed.  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Who reads these anyway?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2004, 11:45:29 PM »

LOL sorry guys. Looks like Blizzard's completely FUBAR'ed handling of stress tests and open beta continues.

Launch scares me. In fact, I might just wait till tuesday.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2004, 11:47:50 PM »

Quote from: "Vindel"
Well, I saw the code entered it. Didn't get the error but what I did get was a *All the CD keys have been depleted* ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, that's pretty infuriating. Especially for all of the west coast folks who are still at work and didn't even get a chance to try. I think HL2 and Vampire coming out are going to give me ample excuse to wait a week or two to see how the launch goes before even giving it a try.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2004, 12:13:35 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
LOL sorry guys. Looks like Blizzard's completely FUBAR'ed handling of stress tests and open beta continues.

Launch scares me. In fact, I might just wait till tuesday.

Let me put it this way - MILLIONS of people want to try this game for absolutely free, easily. There's no way in hell Blizzard could even think of preparing for that kind of server slam.

I just hope they have enough servers ready for release...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2004, 12:30:09 AM »

I just tried it and I got my key right away.  Now I'm just waiting for a server to open up to download the client.  Hopefully I will be installing tomorrow morning.  Fingers crossed!
Hansey
Gaming Trend Reader

Random Lurker

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2004, 12:34:31 AM »

You could always get one on ebay...

It's pretty sad that people would pay that much money, when the game will be out in TWO WEEKS.

As far as the server overload goes, Blizzard should have teamed with Google or Slashdot to handle the server load.  slywink

Edit:  Torfish, where did you get the key from? Fileplanet or the World of Warcraft site?
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2004, 12:50:05 AM »

Quote from: "Hansey"

Edit:  Torfish, where did you get the key from? Fileplanet or the World of Warcraft site?

Fileplanet.  Their open beta registeration was quick.  I got a key right away about 15 minutes ago.  I just can't get into a server to download the client.   The FOUR public fileplanet servers are full.  Sucks.  I don't feel like babysitting the computer tonight.  But I want to start playing tomorrow.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2004, 12:51:33 AM »

So is the issue that the official open beta did start today (the 8th), but that there's just a massive hit on the servers?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: